NY Jets reportedly working on an extension for OT George Fant

Bronx

9 minutes ago, LockeJET said:

Fant isn’t stupid. He just proved he can be a LT in this league. And will want to get paid accordingly. If we pay him like a LT it will tell us a lot about their plans with Becton. Likely him moving positions. 

Becton's status will be determined with this off season acquisitions. I think the LT position is already settled with Fant hence a fake OTA competition. 

• Upvote 2

20 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

Yeah that would be a very important step but honestly don’t see it happening. Maybe it’s the self loathing of a fat man in me, but I feel like he ends up in New England. 

Berrios is everything Douglas and Saleh want in a player.  He will get a fair contract from Joe and be here a long time.  Hes a top priority for Joe D.

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

39 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

Maybe we can post original articles not aggregate articles stealing content to fuel their little fandom fever dreams.

https://www.profootballnetwork.com/tony-paulines-nfl-news-and-rumors-george-fant-mekhi-becton-garrett-wilson-jameson-williams-and-more/

Will there be a true competition between Jets OL George Fant and Mekhi Becton?
Immediately before the 2021 NFL season ended for the New York Jets, I reported the team’s offensive coaches wanted to move forward with Fant as their left tackle. Many of these coaches said they were ready to move on from Becton, the first-round pick from the 2020 NFL Draft that’s not been very dependable as of late.

Today, NFL beat writers for the New York Jets reported from the Senior Bowl the news that there will be an open competition between Fant and Becton for the left tackle spot next season — this according to head coach Robert Saleh.

And while that may be true, NFL sources close to the situation tell me that Fant has been informed the left tackle position is his to lose. I have confirmed the rumor that the Jets are trying to extend Fant’s contract as the NFL veteran enters the final season of the three-year deal he signed in 2020.

Becton working to get back in proper physical condition
Becton was a topic of conversation this weekend during Shrine Bowl practices. News was reported that Becton weighed over 370 pounds in December as he continued to recover from a knee injury he sustained during the first game of the NFL season.

Two sources — one in Vegas at Shrine practice and another here today in Mobile — told me Becton was actually tipping the scales at over 400 pounds by the end of the season.

Many still believe the former first-round pick, who showed so much potential in 2020, will be able to turn it around and get back on the field in proper condition. But it seems the Jets continue to lose faith in their former first-round pick.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Lith said:

https://www.profootballnetwork.com/tony-paulines-nfl-news-and-rumors-george-fant-mekhi-becton-garrett-wilson-jameson-williams-and-more/

Will there be a true competition between Jets OL George Fant and Mekhi Becton?
Immediately before the 2021 NFL season ended for the New York Jets, I reported the team’s offensive coaches wanted to move forward with Fant as their left tackle. Many of these coaches said they were ready to move on from Becton, the first-round pick from the 2020 NFL Draft that’s not been very dependable as of late.

Today, NFL beat writers for the New York Jets reported from the Senior Bowl the news that there will be an open competition between Fant and Becton for the left tackle spot next season — this according to head coach Robert Saleh.

And while that may be true, NFL sources close to the situation tell me that Fant has been informed the left tackle position is his to lose. I have confirmed the rumor that the Jets are trying to extend Fant’s contract as the NFL veteran enters the final season of the three-year deal he signed in 2020.

Becton working to get back in proper physical condition
Becton was a topic of conversation this weekend during Shrine Bowl practices. News was reported that Becton weighed over 370 pounds in December as he continued to recover from a knee injury he sustained during the first game of the NFL season.

Two sources — one in Vegas at Shrine practice and another here today in Mobile — told me Becton was actually tipping the scales at over 400 pounds by the end of the season.

Many still believe the former first-round pick, who showed so much potential in 2020, will be able to turn it around and get back on the field in proper condition. But it seems the Jets continue to lose faith in their former first-round pick.

400 pounds? Good lord. It's a miracle he's still alive. If that's true, this kid has major issues that go way beyond football.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 2

Just now, section314 said:

400 pounds? Good lord. It's a miracle he's still alive. If that's true, this kid has major issues that go way beyond football.

Yup.  If it is true, this kid has to grow up and get his priorities in order.  He may have been able to get through college just by being bigger and stronger than the guy he is lined up across from, but he needs to take his craft seriously.  I am sure the Jets have told him what weight they want him at.  He needs to do whatever it takes to make sure he is in shape and right where the Jets want him to be when he shows up for OTAs.

It would be such a shame, and a total waste of talent, if he busts after the promise he showed as a rookie.

• Upvote 3

13 minutes ago, Sammybighead said:

JFM was exactly what he was after he signed the contract. Slightly above average. That’s what the jets paid for, that’s what they got. 

Jets paid $13 mil a year for slightly above average?  Im guessing the Jets expected more

• Upvote 1