NY Jets reportedly working on an extension for OT George Fant

Bronx

1 hour ago, Lith said:

https://www.profootballnetwork.com/tony-paulines-nfl-news-and-rumors-george-fant-mekhi-becton-garrett-wilson-jameson-williams-and-more/

Will there be a true competition between Jets OL George Fant and Mekhi Becton?
Immediately before the 2021 NFL season ended for the New York Jets, I reported the team’s offensive coaches wanted to move forward with Fant as their left tackle. Many of these coaches said they were ready to move on from Becton, the first-round pick from the 2020 NFL Draft that’s not been very dependable as of late.

Today, NFL beat writers for the New York Jets reported from the Senior Bowl the news that there will be an open competition between Fant and Becton for the left tackle spot next season — this according to head coach Robert Saleh.

And while that may be true, NFL sources close to the situation tell me that Fant has been informed the left tackle position is his to lose. I have confirmed the rumor that the Jets are trying to extend Fant’s contract as the NFL veteran enters the final season of the three-year deal he signed in 2020.

Becton working to get back in proper physical condition
Becton was a topic of conversation this weekend during Shrine Bowl practices. News was reported that Becton weighed over 370 pounds in December as he continued to recover from a knee injury he sustained during the first game of the NFL season.

Two sources — one in Vegas at Shrine practice and another here today in Mobile — told me Becton was actually tipping the scales at over 400 pounds by the end of the season.

Many still believe the former first-round pick, who showed so much potential in 2020, will be able to turn it around and get back on the field in proper condition. But it seems the Jets continue to lose faith in their former first-round pick.

@Peace Frog

1 hour ago, The Crusher said:

I hope so. Just don’t see it happening. He will be a Patriot. 

The Patriots just gave big money to bourne, agolhar, henry and smith.  They have 0 money to spend on another receiving threat.

Also, bellichek is too arrogant to bring in berrios and admit it he made a hige blunder in letting him walk years ago.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, hawk said:

All contracts should be incentive laden.

That's right every single one given to any player.

you want number one WR money in the 25 mil range thats 90 + 1500+ 10 +

Only problem with some of this is that WR's have to rely on a good QB throwing them the ball.

So elite QB money is now 40 mil + which is ridiculous so for that pay day its 30 + TD's 4500 + yards 2 to 1 TD to Int ratio

Once again relying on other platyers

Pass Rushers 25 Mil will go up as well  12 + Sacks Numerous pressures + QB hits. This you pretty much do on your own. 

Would love to see a competent salary structure in the NFL with added incentives based on the player they want to be paid like. So if you want Pat Mahomes Money then put up numbers like Pat Mahomes.

Could go on and on about this and obviously I don't know all the solutions but I think everyone would agree salaries in this league and all sports for that matter are getting out of control.

4 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

The Patriots just gave big money to bourne, agolhar, henry and smith.  They have 0 money to spend on another receiving threat.

Also, bellichek is too arrogant to bring in berrios and admit it he made a hige blunder in letting him walk years ago.

Ok, maybe not Pats, just seeing Jie Douglas being cheap here, we’ll see. 

3 hours ago, The Crusher said:

OMG give it a rest. Plus I don’t think Becton cares. He’s got some money, cool necklace and time to do whatever  he wants. I don’t see him coming back to the Jets and contributing consistently. He’ll be traded for a 2nd or 3rd, if not he’ll be that guy who simply can’t stay healthy spending the rest of his rookie contract as a back up due to durability issues. Personally think he would be pretty happy with that. 

Lol this is such a shortsighted outlook and there is no way JD is thinking like that with Becton.  

Why would the Jets trade him this offseason when hes at his lowest value? At the very least hes still a 22yr old high 1st round pick on his rookie deal, 2 yrs in the league. TWO. One of which he had a freak injury that completely derailed him- for all kinds of reasons. 

It just makes absolutely no sense. On top of that, hes not a bad player- he just needs to get and stay on the field. His upside is still astronomical. It would be complete foolishness to trade him without getting a chance to see if he can stay on the field and begin to realize his potential. At least not for a 2nd or 3rd... 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

Ok, maybe not Pats, just seeing Jie Douglas being cheap here, we’ll see. 

I actually think this is the one contract where JD has some leverage. I think Berrios wants to stay here and would do a team friendly deal. The Jets gave him a shot and he has been somewhat of a staple here. He knows he has a carved out role and will get his touches. He now knows the new offense. He seems to have some chemistry with Zach. It just makes sense to get a deal done quick, IMO.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Jetpain said:

Jets paid $13 mil a year for slightly above average?  Im guessing the Jets expected more

Look at the sturcutre of his contract.  $15M guaranteed over 2 years.  They have paid him $7.5M a year for 2021 & 2022 to prove he is worth the $39M over the last three non-guaranteed years of his contract. 

I agree that the Jets probably wanted more, but above average is fine given the contract.  Hopefully we can get more this upcoming season and he earns the last few years.

• Upvote 3

35 minutes ago, PepPep said:

Lol this is such a shortsighted outlook and there is no way JD is thinking like that with Becton.  

Why would the Jets trade him this offseason when hes at his lowest value? At the very least hes still a 22yr old high 1st round pick on his rookie deal, 2 yrs in the league. TWO. One of which he had a freak injury that completely derailed him- for all kinds of reasons. 

It just makes absolutely no sense. On top of that, hes not a bad player- he just needs to get and stay on the field. His upside is still astronomical. It would be complete foolishness to trade him without getting a chance to see if he can stay on the field and begin to realize his potential. At least not for a 2nd or 3rd... 

Yes, we can go with shortsighted but honestly doesn't really matter what Joe thinks. It matters what Becton does. So far he got an injury that could happen to anyone that was 6-8 weeks to come back and he ended up out 16. Joe can think what he wants, but ultimately he'll be limited to the choices Becton gives him. 

If the kid really did balloon up to 400 pounds and isn't showing any willingness to work at it they very well could cut bait. I think making Fant a priority signing early is pretty telling.  If we take a tackle high? All bets are off in my opinion. 

I'm not arguing that he didn't come  into the league with a lot of potential. He also showed some flashes his rookie year. Last year he got beat like a drum all camp and got hurt in the first game, admittingly not  his fault. What is his fault is he didn't do the work to come back in 6-8 weeks and instead seemingly did not make enough of an effort to do so. 

The thing about potential is it has to be reached, so far this kid seems to reaching for nothing more than the remote. I want to be wrong, but pretty sure I'm not. We will see. 

• Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, PepPep said:

I actually think this is the one contract where JD has some leverage. I think Berrios wants to stay here and would do a team friendly deal. The Jets gave him a shot and he has been somewhat of a staple here. He knows he has a carved out role and will get his touches. He now knows the new offense. He seems to have some chemistry with Zach. It just makes sense to get a deal done quick, IMO.

That would be nice. Let's hope so!

if Becton comes to the OTA’s looking like Jabba the Hut we will know then that we are in trouble and will probably draft either Neal or the other tackle who’s name escapes me at this time and also resign Moses ( which we should do regardless)Let Becton earn a spot on the line at RG  

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Drums said:

Great, get this done. Whatever happens with Becton is just gravy and I do believe he will be a starter on the line next season, just at RT like most are saying. Not a bad problem to have. 

You think if we move Becton to RT, and then draft Ikem Ekwonu, that Mekhi would have to pull AVT to the side and tell him, “Hey, about that ‘bash bros’ nickname…”

”Now that we split up, maybe you and George can get your own nickname?”

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, doitny said:

i love it.

extend Fant and keep him at LT

move Becton to RT and sign or use a day 3 draft pick on his backup.

and end this talk of picking an OL at 4. 

end of story

Don't need to. Raimann or Penning may be there for our first pick in the 2nd. Grab a DE & WR in rd1 and take a T after. I'm still happy. 

10 minutes ago, LAD_Brooklyn said:

I was under the impression that AVT was a Guard that could kick out to LT if needed. So you're telling me we traded up to 14th overall for someone to exclusively play Guard??

He played tackle and guard in college. He can play both. He’s a better guard. It’s called versatility. If the team is ravaged with injuries he can move over. Unlike if we draft linderbaum. He’ll get wrecked at guard being 285 

The best motivation for Becton is to see how much $ Fant makes as the Left Tackle. Let that motivate him all offseason and Becton can be a dominant right tackle. This is such good news for the Jets.

I liked the Fant signing when it happened and I thought he had upside. This season shocked everyone. His upside was so much higher than we dreamed of.

Keep McGovern at center.  Get a mauler and right guard and this line would be so good. Depth, depth, depth and more depth. Work on that so they don't take a step back when injuries occur.

• Upvote 1

Based on the current look of the draft, I would:

1-Not renew Moses, which saves at least $6mm.

2-Not sign Scherff, which saves at least $8mm

3-Extend Fant for 2 years, guarantee another 2 years, at $15mm/year.  

4-Draft Ekwenu and play him at RG.

5-Run the option play with Becton and Fant.   If Becton turns it around we exercise his 5th year option and we move on from Fant as he gets older and play Becton and Ekwenu at T.  Otherwise we move on from Becton and play Fant and Ekwenu.   Either way the average age of the OL gets younger with no Moses or Scherff. 

6-we are not drafting Trevor Penning.  He falls into the zone between our 1B and 2A pick. 

7-at 1B/2A take edge and WR, in BPA order.  2B and 3A is LB and TE in BPA order.  Trey McBride slips because he lacks elite athleticism-he will still be good.  Ruckert has better measureables but lacks production.  Someone slips at least to 2B.  More Jet picks 10-50 is better. 

8-FA sign a star Safety, a good LB and a decent TE. 

• Upvote 2

18 hours ago, Maxman said:

The best motivation for Becton is to see how much $ Fant makes as the Left Tackle. Let that motivate him all offseason and Becton can be a dominant right tackle. This is such good news for the Jets.

I liked the Fant signing when it happened and I thought he had upside. This season shocked everyone. His upside was so much higher than we dreamed of.

Keep McGovern at center.  Get a mauler and right guard and this line would be so good. Depth, depth, depth and more depth. Work on that so they don't take a step back when injuries occur.

What a shock. Maybe this Douglas guy has something on the ball after all?!

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, varjet said:

Based on the current look of the draft, I would:

1-Not renew Moses, which saves at least $6mm.

2-Not sign Scherff, which saves at least $8mm

3-Extend Fant for 2 years, guarantee another 2 years, at $15mm/year.  

4-Draft Ekwenu and play him at RG.

5-Run the option play with Becton and Fant.   If Becton turns it around we exercise his 5th year option and we move on from Fant as he gets older and play Becton and Ekwenu at T.  Otherwise we move on from Becton and play Fant and Ekwenu.   Either way the average age of the OL gets younger with no Moses or Scherff. 

6-we are not drafting Trevor Penning.  He falls into the zone between our 1B and 2A pick. 

7-at 1B/2A take edge and WR, in BPA order.  2B and 3A is LB and TE in BPA order.  Trey McBride slips because he lacks elite athleticism-he will still be good.  Ruckert has better measureables but lacks production.  Someone slips at least to 2B.  More Jet picks 10-50 is better. 

8-FA sign a star Safety, a good LB and a decent TE. 

it looks like you have the no. 4 pick going for a rg?  that's pretty pricey.  hard to say without knowing how the draftees stack but by position i think they need to edge or wr with the no. 4 pick.  they can get a rg in the 2nd and 3rd rounds.

4 minutes ago, rangerous said:

it looks like you have the no. 4 pick going for a rg?  that's pretty pricey.  hard to say without knowing how the draftees stack but by position i think they need to edge or wr with the no. 4 pick.  they can get a rg in the 2nd and 3rd rounds.

Its not a RG.  Its a RG for 2022 maybe 2023 who then moves to LT or RT.   

Give him Fant an extension that lines up with Becton's fifth year option.  

By then we will know if he's committed to football and can handle moving back to the left side.  

Draft Zion Johnson in the second to play RG.  

Line instantly becomes a top 10 unit with the potential to be top 5.  

• Sympathy 1