Offensive Line Positions - how easy is it to move?

BCJet

Theres been a lot of talk of both Zion Johnson and Cole Strange converting from guard to center at the Senior Bowl.  Both guys were coached by the Jets staff and are excellent fits for our scheme so I thought this was particularly important. 

Are there a lot examples where such a difficult conversion works in the NFL?  Strange needs a year of development but Zion is a day 1 starter at guard, and while center is a more important position, Im not sure how difficult that is to do once you get to this level.

Kendrick Green was a guard in college and the steelers had him at center this year and while he held up, he did struggle his first year.  James Daniels, who could be a FA target here was a college center and has played guard for the Bears - but that transition is easier.

Curious if anyone knows just how difficult it is for these guys to move their position?

Not sure I see physically the difference between C & G, however mentally I believe that's where the difference might be. Now moving from G to T, is something not everyone can do. That's why some T's in college get converted to G, because they don't have the chops to be a T. If we don't get Ekwonu, then I'd rather wait until the 2nd round and pick up a Johnson, or Green.

10 hours ago, 68JET11 said:

Not sure I see physically the difference between C & G, however mentally I believe that's where the difference might be. Now moving from G to T, is something not everyone can do. That's why some T's in college get converted to G, because they don't have the chops to be a T. If we don't get Ekwonu, then I'd rather wait until the 2nd round and pick up a Johnson, or Green.

I think the OT to OG is said too easily when talking about a player who isnt a good tackle. Its a completely different position that requires more strength and less athleticism.  Some OTs can do it, who have shorter arms or arent great athletes, but you need to be strong enough to hold up with a player directly over you.

I also think there is a physical difference between G and C as you have to snap the ball and then execute your assignment.  That being said, I agree that id rather not pick Ekwonu if we can get a day 1 starter in Johnson in the second round, simply because teams dont value the guard position. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, HawkeyeJet said:

Depends on the guy.  Athleticism has a big part in it.  Damien Woody played Center, Guard and Tackle in the NFL and  was good at all of them.  Robert Gallery was a huge bust at LT but was actually quite good at LG.

Woody's move from center to tackle was probably the most impressive. Few centers have the feet to handle tackle.

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, BCJet said:

Theres been a lot of talk of both Zion Johnson and Cole Strange converting from guard to center at the Senior Bowl.  Both guys were coached by the Jets staff and are excellent fits for our scheme so I thought this was particularly important. 

Are there a lot examples where such a difficult conversion works in the NFL?  Strange needs a year of development but Zion is a day 1 starter at guard, and while center is a more important position, Im not sure how difficult that is to do once you get to this level.

Kendrick Green was a guard in college and the steelers had him at center this year and while he held up, he did struggle his first year.  James Daniels, who could be a FA target here was a college center and has played guard for the Bears - but that transition is easier.

Curious if anyone knows just how difficult it is for these guys to move their position?

From my understanding a lot of times if guys aren’t great guards because they get pushed around, but have a pretty good mental understanding then they get moved to center.  Centers can be less strong and deal with much less 1 on 1 blocks. Guards on the other hand take on dts 1 on 1 a regular basis. 

13 hours ago, 68JET11 said:

Some centers can’t play guard if they are too light because they’ll get pushed around, but a lot of guards can play center. Look at feeney. Not all guards can play tackle because they need to be able to deal with guys in much more space.  

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Hal N of Provo said:

Moving to the left side of the line from the right is like learning to pitch with your other hand.  

trying not to laugh GIF

I wonder if its more difficult to go from LT to RT then it is to go from LG to RG?  Id imagine tackle is more difficult with the kick slide step.

Zion Johnson has been a LG and LT at BC so if he was our pick, he would need to play RG but he is athletic enough that I doubt it would be an issue

It depends really. I think to be a center you have to be more cerebral and understand defenses and pass rush concepts, but its the easiest position to block from generally speaking, as you have 2 men on each side to help you, and the most athletic pass rushers want to rush from areas with more space. You do have to snap the ball though which isn't easy for everyone

Since Fant is this good of a pass blocking LT, it should be relatively natural for Becton to switch to RT, and it naturally fits his player profile better as the Right side is the strong side for run concepts. From what i know you can switch between guards sides relatively easily. the footwork is different on each side but overall its the same movements so with practice a player can figure it out