Jump to content

Zach Wilson tied for the lead league in this odd stat


HawkeyeJet
 Share

Recommended Posts

Just now, Wit said:

Could mean that he isn’t throwing his receivers “open”, or that he’s throwing to a bunch of tiny guys that can’t make the push. Who knows. 

The article goes into the specifics of each.  There isn’t one overarching theme.  Certainly not ball placement.  6 different targets.  Coleman, Cole, Kroft, Carter, Crowder and Berrios.

Maybe stop throwing to guys whose last name is at the beginning of the alphabet.

  • Upvote 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think Wilson if nothing else proved he can be a guy that protects the ball when keeping throws under 10 yards.  If he can start peppering in some 15+ air yard chunk plays, which was supposed to be one of his biggest strengths, while maintaining the ball security he may be ok.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

The article goes into the specifics of each.  There isn’t one overarching theme.  Certainly not ball placement.  6 different targets.  Coleman, Cole, Kroft, Carter, Crowder and Berrios.

Maybe stop throwing to guys whose last name is at the beginning of the alphabet.

I think the theme is Beta receivers

  • Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I remember a few of these plays, two that stuck out to me, and I think it was the bucs game where Cole and berrios both get stopped at the one yard line. I felt like they were plays where your receiver has to get in the end zone. Playmakers get in the end zone in those spots.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, johnnysd said:

Another thing that Zach was good at that people rarely mention was not fumbling on sacks. There were a few but it is like night and day between him and Sam.

Another them I noticed in the playoffs, all of the elite QBs make iffy throws quite often in games, high low behind, etc...yet they have receivers that mostly still catch them. With Zach it seemed unless it was literally perfect they dropped half of them.

He was not good but he showed a lot of very positive things biggest being improvement week to week.

We need players that can catch the ball. Zach threw perfect balls that were dropped. He also threw off line passes that SO many great receivers simply catch. 

  • Upvote 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, HawkeyeJet said:

Completed passes that were stopped at the one yard line.  There is an article on another Jets website that I won’t link unless someone gives the go ahead.

 

You have the go ahead. 

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, johnnysd said:

Another thing that Zach was good at that people rarely mention was not fumbling on sacks. There were a few but it is like night and day between him and Sam.

Another them I noticed in the playoffs, all of the elite QBs make iffy throws quite often in games, high low behind, etc...yet they have receivers that mostly still catch them. With Zach it seemed unless it was literally perfect they dropped half of them.

He was not good but he showed a lot of very positive things biggest being improvement week to week.

If you watch him when he gets pressure, 2 hands on the ball, always.  He's dodging a tackler and starting to sprint away?  He'll often tuck the ball in like a runner before getting safe and bringing it out again to pass.  The dude hangs on to the ball.

  • Upvote 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

58 minutes ago, Maxman said:

They needed him to understand the balance and that is what he learned. Next year it will be a better blend of risk taking. Pick your spots.

That interception he threw at the beginning of the New England game ended things right there. He grew a lot over the season, next season will be a lot of fun.

Exactly.  While the Titans game showed the amazing downfield playmaking ability, it also highlighted the weakness in his game up to that point.  There was something off about his throwing from the pocket because he missed a couple game winning "gimme" passes that would have sealed the game.  I think he was still reeling from the amount of pressures and sacks he had the first few games and not trusting his OL enough to set his feet and wing it like he was able to at the end of the year.

When the pass catchers all got injured he was probably told to hyper focus on ball security and the basic reads of the offense because there were no playmakers that were going to make things happen downfield.  If he can combine the crazy ability he showed in the Titans game with the ball security in rhythm passing game he showed during the Bucs game and he has the "weaponzzz", he really could be "it".

  • Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, HawkeyeJet said:

Completed passes that were stopped at the one yard line.  There is an article on another Jets website that I won’t link unless someone gives the go ahead.

Wilson tied for the lead league in completed passes stopped at the 1 with 6.   Tied with 4 others, but Zach in far fewer games.  Zach’s per game average in this stat was nearly .5 when the normal average is .2

Doesn't really change anything, but it just show anything other than it’s a game of inches sometimes.

I thought it was a very interesting oddity if nothing less.  

Which 1 yard line?

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Untouchable said:

I mostly agree, but I also don’t want Saleh and LaFleur cutting his balls off.

People can take the Tampa “most impressive game the kid has played all year” drivel and shove it up their assholes.

The most impressive game, by far, was against the Titans.

Where he went YOLO and was slinging the ball offscript up and down the field.

He showcased the kind of stuff that made him the #2 overall pick.

Moving out of the pocket, making plays off platform from multiple different arm angles and going long with the kind of deep ball accuracy that only a handful of other QB’s in the league are capable of.

THAT’S the kind of QB that I want him to consistently morph into.

If he does that, then the Rodgers/Mahomes comparisons start to carry a helluva lot more merit.

Hopefully the Jets surround him with more weapons this offseason and that kind of thing starts to become the norm.

Totally agree, but what we know from that Titans game is that he has that ability in his locker, it’s there and he’s showcased already he can be that guy. Some QB’s…many QB’s….never have that talent to begin with…..that alone is encouraging 
What’s even more smart and encouraging is how he showed a willingness to learn and adapt the 2nd half the second half of the season and totally reign it in and go back to basics. There’s still work to do but somewhere in between is the perfect QB. The smart and conservative game manager who can move the chains and play within himself but who as the ability to change it up and be the gunslinger, the “oh wow did you see that throw” guy that is going to be fun to watch. Learning to walk before you start running could pay off hugely if it slows everything down for him and builds confidence.
Saleh & LaFleur will deserve credit if that approach pays off

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, HawkeyeJet said:

Completed passes that were stopped at the one yard line.  There is an article on another Jets website that I won’t link unless someone gives the go ahead.

Wilson tied for the lead league in completed passes stopped at the 1 with 6.   Tied with 4 others, but Zach in far fewer games.  Zach’s per game average in this stat was nearly .5 when the normal average is .2

Doesn't really change anything, but it just show anything other than it’s a game of inches sometimes.

I thought it was a very interesting oddity if nothing less.  

edit; read the post wrong.  Thought it meant stopped after 1 yard, didnt realize you meant the actual 1 yard line.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, rtnelson said:

Exactly.  While the Titans game showed the amazing downfield playmaking ability, it also highlighted the weakness in his game up to that point.  There was something off about his throwing from the pocket because he missed a couple game winning "gimme" passes that would have sealed the game.  I think he was still reeling from the amount of pressures and sacks he had the first few games and not trusting his OL enough to set his feet and wing it like he was able to at the end of the year.

When the pass catchers all got injured he was probably told to hyper focus on ball security and the basic reads of the offense because there were no playmakers that were going to make things happen downfield.  If he can combine the crazy ability he showed in the Titans game with the ball security in rhythm passing game he showed during the Bucs game and he has the "weaponzzz", he really could be "it".

Great post.  This is exactly right.  
Thise first three games he just got killed. The OL was just downright awful and he had ZERO chance.  
 

He definitely looked rattled for a few weeks after that.  Then after the injury when he settled back in, and the OL was playing competently football he had no one capable of really getting open downfield.  So he took what was there.  
 

I actually found the Eagles game to be very impressive. It’s when he had Moore still and made some really nice plays downfield with him.  The first half of the Eagles game is what this offense can be.  Good running game, efficient short game mixed in with some down the field passes to open things up.  
Just need guys that can get open and catch.  

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Beerfish said:

His best stat from last year was:

First 5 games 9 ints

Last 8 games 2 ints, including none in the last 5 games.  (140 attempts)

People got mad that we were not scoring and that he was not throwing for big yards or comp % but unlike Darnold he was not trying to play hero ball.

Don;t turn the ball over and build on the other stuff is a good thing for a young QB.  A lot of young guys never get over the bad turnover at the bad time situation and that dooms you more than anything.

I think it's a balance thing.  While it's nice that he did take care of the ball, which was necessary based on how he started the year but having 3 of those 5 games with under 200 yards one barely over 200 and 1 under 100 (202, 170, 102, 234, 84), kind of dilutes the stat.  Taking care of the ball is great but at what cost?  He's going to have to challenge the D and push the ball eventually, I know he had some guys out and was taking a knife to a gun fight in some situation but still, you have to be willing to put the ball up and let your guys make a play.  

Ive said it before but I think Jets fans have become so conditioned to back breaking knucklehead turnovers, that we forget they happen.  It's ok to throw a pick, you just have to have the explosive plays to counter act.  Stafford led the league in picks, followed by Lawrence (17), Herbert and Allen (15) followed by Carr, Mahomes and Burrow were all top 10 in picks (14).

 Picks are fine when you dont compound them and you counter them with explosive plays. 

 

 

  • Upvote 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Beerfish said:

His best stat from last year was:

First 5 games 9 ints

Last 8 games 2 ints, including none in the last 5 games.  (140 attempts)

People got mad that we were not scoring and that he was not throwing for big yards or comp % but unlike Darnold he was not trying to play hero ball.

Don;t turn the ball over and build on the other stuff is a good thing for a young QB.  A lot of young guys never get over the bad turnover at the bad time situation and that dooms you more than anything.

 

11 hours ago, HawkeyeJet said:

I think Wilson if nothing else proved he can be a guy that protects the ball when keeping throws under 10 yards.  If he can start peppering in some 15+ air yard chunk plays, which was supposed to be one of his biggest strengths, while maintaining the ball security he may be ok.

Problem is that completely neuters what he's good at.

2nd overall pick "managing the game" and not throwing picks is a huge issue. There are plenty of backups who can do that.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Maxman said:

They needed him to understand the balance and that is what he learned. Next year it will be a better blend of risk taking. Pick your spots.

That interception he threw at the beginning of the New England game ended things right there. He grew a lot over the season, next season will be a lot of fun.

Agree.  It seemed that if he threw a bad INT early it snowballed earlier in the season.  As a rookie understandable.  But not coincidentally when he returned from his knee, he seemed much calmer, put less on his shoulders and just played ball. If he can build on that we should be fine and past evaluating every pass.  

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share



×
×
  • Create New...