Zach Wilson tied for the lead league in this odd stat

4 hours ago, JiFapono said:

I think it's a balance thing.  While it's nice that he did take care of the ball, which was necessary based on how he started the year but having 3 of those 5 games with under 200 yards one barely over 200 and 1 under 100 (202, 170, 102, 234, 84), kind of dilutes the stat.  Taking care of the ball is great but at what cost?  He's going to have to challenge the D and push the ball eventually, I know he had some guys out and was taking a knife to a gun fight in some situation but still, you have to be willing to put the ball up and let your guys make a play.  

Ive said it before but I think Jets fans have become so conditioned to back breaking knucklehead turnovers, that we forget they happen.  It's ok to throw a pick, you just have to have the explosive plays to counter act.  Stafford led the league in picks, followed by Lawrence (17), Herbert and Allen (15) followed by Carr, Mahomes and Burrow were all top 10 in picks (14).

Picks are fine when you dont compound them and you counter them with explosive plays. 

What I hope the case is is that Zach worked on curing his INTs in a dead season and now is working on pairing that with explosive plays. I felt like it was clear he had to stop his turnovers before worrying about making those explosive plays, especially with 5th string and practice squad players to work with.

Zach only threw 3 INTs in his final season at BYU, so I think he's trying to work on mixing the explosiveness with protection. He was still a rookie, and so was most of the team. I am excited to see what they do next season.

• Upvote 3

On 2/6/2022 at 1:33 PM, UntouchableCrew said:

Problem is that completely neuters what he's good at.

2nd overall pick "managing the game" and not throwing picks is a huge issue. There are plenty of backups who can do that.

Bear in mind that this is part of a journey - not the end point.

They aren't trying to turn him into a game manager long term. They went from game loser --> game manager last season, next step is to progress from game manager --> game winner.

Not sure how relevant this is, and it's tough to find some context, but Zach had two throws (Week 5 vs. Atlanta, Week 7 vs NE) that were both very catchable balls and likely TDs that resulted in PI flags at the 2 yard line. ATL play was 41 yards, NE play was 46 yards. Both drives ended up as TDs (the latter being the infamous Mike White first career pass being a TD).

Yes, I'm sure other QBs get a lot of PI flags in their favour too (not sure about Sammy D in that respect though ;-) ). 

1 hour ago, jamesr said:

Bear in mind that this is part of a journey - not the end point.

They aren't trying to turn him into a game manager long term. They went from game loser --> game manager last season, next step is to progress from game manager --> game winner.

Of course. I'm just worried about the success they'll have with that transition.