Jets high on Kyle Hamilton?

Sucks that there isn’t a QB projected to go top 10..for the first time in nearly a decade.  But, hard to complain about the Jets draft position over the first 2 rounds.

OL, DL-Edge, WR, Corner..  yet Hamilton..will sit there at 4..and may be considered an “all-pro” in waiting.

between free agency and the draft…Jets are in a tremendous position to vastly improve their team

now, if only…the Jets can have simply an “average rank”…with regard to injuries over the next couple of years (we are always at or near the top - its maddening) .. we might be able to mimic the Bengals.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Zachtomims47 said:

Just because I enjoy chaos…

-Word has it they're high on Notre Dame safety Kyle Hamilton, projected as a top-10 pick. That might seem rich for a safety, considering it's a non-premium position, but Hamilton is viewed by some evaluators as a unicorn.

https://www.espn.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/88833/can-new-york-jets-copy-cat-bengals-rise-robert-saleh-preaches-patience

On Fire Burn GIF by Us

He has sex with married couples?

I see a lot of lazy takes in here....

Normally I wouldn’t want a safety top 10 either, but in a draft that lacks true bonafide, high ceiling talent.....taking an arguably a top 2, true blue chip prospect isn’t the worse thing in the world.

Comparing him to Adams is also lazy. This kid has excellent range in coverage, a true ballhawk, solid tackler and looks to be one of those true generational safety talents that should be picked in the top 5. I see some Sean Taylor in him. 

I wont love it per say, but I’m also not in love with a lot of these good floor, lower ceiling pass rushers a lot of you want just because they fill a need. This team needs game changing talent where ever it can get it. If it comes in the form of Hamilton at safety this year so be it. If this was last year we could possibly be looking at Pitts and Devonta Smith with 4 and 10. This year not so much. We have no control over where the talent lies in a draft year to year 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, Untouchable said:

Pretty much

Frankly I’m tired of this “positional value” argument.

Say the Jets walked away from the 1st round with Hamilton and Linderbaum.

Yeah, neither safety or center is a “premium” position, but I would have little doubt that the Jets just added a pair of 10 year starters to the roster.

This is considered by and large the weakest draft in years. No one can agree on who the top edgerusher is. No one can agree on who the top receiver is. No one can agree on who the top QB, OL, TE, LB or CB is.

But Hamilton is universally considered the best safety prospect in years. Many would say he’s the best overall player in the draft, regardless of position. And with the Jets set to start guys like Ashtyn Davis and Elijah Riley, it’s not like safety isn’t a bigtime need for us. It’s also the most vital puzzle piece to this defense besides getting a strong passrush with your Front 4.

Take the Best Player Available, if the player is an upgrade.  Simple, yet best Philosophy.  Some argument to be made for taking the second best player available if not far off and fills a more "premium' need.  

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, FidelioJet said:

Better than Pat Mahomes?

it’s not about the player’s skills as much as it is about players you pass on to take him.  
A safety should not be a priority for a with so many holes.  Seattle thought JA could put them over the top to a championship team. They miscalculated, but it’s a very different situation.    

I mean a lot of teams passed on Pat Mahomes. 

Would you rather of had Mitch Trubisky, Solomon Thomas, Leonard Fournette, and Corey Davis? All those guys went AHEAD of Jamal. 

Jamal wasn’t the BEST pick the Jets could have made, but he was still GOOD pick that worked out. 

• Thumb Down 1

2 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

Better than Pat Mahomes?

it’s not about the player’s skills as much as it is about players you pass on to take him.  
A safety should not be a priority for a with so many holes.  Seattle thought JA could put them over the top to a championship team. They miscalculated, but it’s a very different situation.    

Nope, but better than Jackson Mahomes.

7 hours ago, Zachtomims47 said:

-Word has it they're high on Notre Dame safety Kyle Hamilton, projected as a top-10 pick. That might seem rich for a safety, considering it's a non-premium position, but Hamilton is viewed by some evaluators as a unicorn.

https://www.espn.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/88833/can-new-york-jets-copy-cat-bengals-rise-robert-saleh-preaches-patience

On Fire Burn GIF by Us

image.gif.4f5d59b6a5cf92bc34e8cbc400b26f94.gif

1 hour ago, KarlaftisFan said:

Would you rather of had Mitch Trubisky, Solomon Thomas, Leonard Fournette, and Corey Davis? All those guys went AHEAD of Jamal. 

Jamal wasn’t the BEST pick the Jets could have made, but he was still GOOD pick that worked out. 

Plus as we look back he netted us 2 critical first round picks for our rebuild.

The first as ammo to grab AVT.

4 hours ago, Zachtomims47 said:

Idc if he’s Ed reed in his prime his rookie season. Still don’t want a fn safety. 

You don’t win games with Safeties!

You Dont Win Friends With Salad GIF

You win games with guys like Ed Reed.  If Hamilton is that good he's worth the pick.

That said, he wouldn't be my choice.

7 hours ago, Zachtomims47 said:

On Fire Burn GIF by Us

The Joe Douglas Jets don't leak this type of info so this tells me that Hamilton isn't anywhere near the top of their board

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, Bugg said:

Under the PI rules as now enforced, there is never going to be another Reed or Polamalu.

You can get a decent safety in March. And you won't have to hem and haw in years 2-4 about whether he's worth a 2nd big ass contract. 

Rams are starting a safety in the Super Bowl they signed off the street after 2 years of being retired. 

Drafting a guy who may blow up to be an ILB; why not simply draft a LB? 

Would be the most Jets thing ever to pick Hamilton, and either discover he's a small ILB or merely a  decent safety. And then spend several years either looking to trade him or worse, sign him to a stupid 2nd contract. Those 2 1sr rounders have to be among and between OL, edge, WR. Outside, may be a corner or TE.  How many times will this franchise make the same draft day mistakes? 

good points.  the thing is they need to get guys in the first round that can play right out of the gate.  sure they can try to convert hamilton to lb but i don't see why anyone would use a first rounder on a project.

• Sympathy 1

4 hours ago, carlito1171 said:

Normally I wouldn’t want a safety top 10 either, but in a draft that lacks true bonafide, high ceiling talent.....taking an arguably a top 2, true blue chip prospect isn’t the worse thing in the world.

Comparing him to Adams is also lazy. This kid has excellent range in coverage, a true ballhawk, solid tackler and looks to be one of those true generational safety talents that should be picked in the top 5. I see some Sean Taylor in him. 

I wont love it per say, but I’m also not in love with a lot of these good floor, lower ceiling pass rushers a lot of you want just because they fill a need. This team needs game changing talent where ever it can get it. If it comes in the form of Hamilton at safety this year so be it. If this was last year we could possibly be looking at Pitts and Devonta Smith with 4 and 10. This year not so much. We have no control over where the talent lies in a draft year to year 

They said the same fing things about adams there was no talk of adams being a box safety when he was drafted, like hamiton he was a 'play maker' that could do it all.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, sourceworx said:

Every time a draft class is deemed weak, it ends up being strong. Most draft experts don't know their ass from their elbow.

F*ck taking a safety with either first round pick. F*ck it sideways.

I get it. This draft class is a little baffling. 

The one thing that makes me think the Jets MAY be interested is that we tend to play a lot of "big nickel" defense rather than a "normal" 4-3. Hamilton would be quite versatile in that scheme, able to support both the run (better than a slot DB) and pass.

Not sure that makes him "worth" the #4 or #10 pick, and the whole "hybrid role" thing does kind of scare me, but I can see at least some logic to it beyond the "generational" hype.

17 hours ago, carlito1171 said:

Taking such a low valued position that high is just too risky for a team like the Jets that has way too many other, more important, needs. Taking him because you believe he’s a “true blue chip, generational talent,” is a fool’s errand, imho. The expectation for the player will be nothing short of the HoF right out of the gate, especially with this fan base. It’s an expectation that is unlikely to be fulfilled. Or, in other words, it’s more likely to be viewed as a burnt pick in the future. 

The position is low valued for a reason. The drop off from the best to the worst NFL available safety is not nearly as great as other positions because there’s practically an unlimited supply of safety (or RB) talent available at any time. QB is the highest valued position because there aren’t enough starting caliber QBs for every team in the league. Edge is right there for a similar reason; there just aren’t as many guys that big, who are that fast/quick, that can disrupt the QB consistently available on the planet. Also, disrupting the QB potentially destroys the play. Take one receiving target off the field, and the QB just needs to look in another direction. A good Edge is simply more valuable than a great safety. I mean, I do not want an OL in the first round at all but, I’d take one over a safety. 

The good news (for me) is that I believe Joe Douglas has a firm grasp on positional value, and will not take a non-premium position with a premium pick. 

• Upvote 3

I wonder how much of this is smokescreen vs. how much of it is optics when the dust settles:

Trade away: safety Adams who then wanted $18-22MM/year

Turn into: guard AVT @$4MM/year and safety Hamilton at $6MM/year

That would be cleaner if #10 not #4 was used, but the Douglas argument could be made if they only had one 1st round pick and Adams then they wouldn’t have used it on a safety.

It’s still not my preference for either top 10 pick for this team which, before the combine & FA, is edge or WR or trade down. But (again, unless he’s just letting it leak one at a time that he likes every prospect) I could see a GM making this rationalization. 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, bla bla bla said:

How old is the rest of the bag haha 

Yeah some of it has some miles on it. I buy a new driver every other year, 3 wood is probably 4 years old but my irons are at least 12-13 years old lol. Buying me, my son and my son-in-law all new irons this year. Got them Scotty Cameron putters for Christmas 2 years ago, mine is 3. Will never buy another putter. So good. 

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, KarlaftisFan said:

Hey, didn't you used to be AnthonySchlegelFan?

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, slats said:

Taking such a low valued position that high is just too risky for a team like the Jets that has way too many other, more important, needs. Taking him because you believe he’s a “true blue chip, generational talent,” is a fool’s errand, imho. The expectation for the player will be nothing short of the HoF right out of the gate, especially with this fan base. It’s an expectation that is unlikely to be fulfilled. Or, in other words, it’s more likely to be viewed as a burnt pick in the future. 

The position is low valued for a reason. The drop off from the best to the worst NFL available safety is not nearly as great as other positions because there’s practically an unlimited supply of safety (or RB) talent available at any time. QB is the highest valued position because there aren’t enough starting caliber QBs for every team in the league. Edge is right there for a similar reason; there just aren’t as many guys that big, who are that fast/quick, that can disrupt the QB consistently available on the planet. Also, disrupting the QB potentially destroys the play. Take one receiving target off the field, and the QB just needs to look in another direction. A good Edge is simply more valuable than a great safety. I mean, I do not want an OL in the first round at all but, I’d take one over a safety. 

The good news (for me) is that I believe Joe Douglas has a firm grasp on positional value, and will not take a non-premium position with a premium pick. 

I have a hard time believing that JD refused to overpay for Jamal Adams and Marcus Maye only to turn around and take a safety with a top 5 pick. I think the generational stuff is always stupid. He's a good safety that is versatile, athletic, and has great size. Besides, all this buzz pre-combine and pro day doesn't mean anything, especially for this edge class. I'm sure there's going to be a riser here, especially if guys like Ojabo or Jermaine Johnson or Sam Williams, etc. blows up at the combine.