Kayvon Thibodeux too risky?

Zachtomims47

12 minutes ago, BigRy56 said:

Why does everybody that comes out of Oregon get knocked in the pre-draft process? Seems like it happens every time

True, pac 12 has not been that great lately for one thing i suppose.

In this case to me these questions are legit on thibodeuax, does not mean you for sure do not draft him but the resume has holes for a really high end pick.

Certain GMs can take chances of players with character or other questions.  If KT turns out to be great, the teams that pass on him will certainly eat crow. 

But JD and the Jets are not that team.  If KT is another flake like Becton and Mims, JD is toast.   He will have to do a lot of homework to make sure there is no risk in drafting KT at 4.  The only players that high that you take chances on are QB, and even then its bad when you blow it. 

• Upvote 2

Just now, nycdan said:

I'm warming up to Jermaine Johnson.  Not sure where he need to be picked, but he might be a safer bet than both Hutch and Thibs right now.  Yes, it's early...

Yeah, we need to get out of 4 and figure out a way to get this guy. 

• Upvote 4

22 minutes ago, nycdan said:

I'm warming up to Jermaine Johnson.  Not sure where he need to be picked, but he might be a safer bet than both Hutch and Thibs right now.  Yes, it's early...

Second Chance U guy, surprisingly completely blocked on some reps and looked like a superstar on others.  

I like him too.  I think he’s probably right at 10 today, but that could change.

4 hours ago, Bronxville Jets Fan said:

I’ve read reports that some teams have concerns about his size.  Apparently he doesn’t look as big as scouts expect when they see him in person.

My wife says the same thing about me… go figure 

• Haha 3

My favorite reports this time of you are the reports that “the guy doesn’t really care about football.” 
To even get to the point where you are being drafted takes years and years of hard work and sacrifice. The idea these guys don’t care about football is ridiculous. Is football a means to getting fame and fortune? Sure. Is football a way to help your family? Sure. All these guys play for a reason. And some of them will suck and blow it by making dumb decisions. But I always find those articles insulting. They care. Just not everyone of them will make it. 

3 hours ago, OtherwiseHappyinLife said:

I definitely think OL with 1 of the 2 first rounders (the other WR unless a top Edge falls to us).  

However, in your opinion how can we afford to take an OT and presumably give up on Becton with all the holes we have on this team?

Ekwonu from NC state might have some position versatility at either guard or tackle so that might be the strategic pick, as a bit of LT insurance if Becton doesn’t work out.

Fant will either sign a long term deal or be franchised in 2023 assuming he bets on himself and prices himself out of Jets current offer range.

Yea draft a guy at 4 as insurance. Makes total sense. The further along this draft process goes the more I want to trade down. I don’t even care if we don’t get the best value. 

37 minutes ago, BurntDice said:

Yea draft a guy at 4 as insurance. Makes total sense. The further along this draft process goes the more I want to trade down. I don’t even care if we don’t get the best value. 

I think you might be misunderstanding me or me you.  I agree we should not draft a guy at 4 as insurance.  Ekwonu would be our starting RG in 2022 and if Becton doesn’t work out might be able to slide over to RT in 2023.  

35 minutes ago, OtherwiseHappyinLife said:

I think you might be misunderstanding me or me you.  I agree we should not draft a guy at 4 as insurance.  Ekwonu would be our starting RG in 2022 and if Becton doesn’t work out might be able to slide over to RT in 2023.  

I understand the mindset, I’m just really anti taking another ol in the first. What if becton does play well. Then you have 2 top 15 pick guards. Does that seem reasonable? To me it’s just insane.  Take a look at the teams in the super bowl. They have 1 first round OL combined. Most good to great teams have average to above average lines and great weapons. It’s just complete overkill and a waste of valuable resources to take yet another ol for the 3rd year in a row in the first imo I’m not super high on taking a safety that high, but the improvement would be drastic compared to a guard. I’d take pretty much any position over ol at this point. Even Lloyd would improve the overall team much more than another ol 

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, sec101row23 said:

So much of Thibodeaux’s hype comes from being one of the highest rated high school prospects in the last 10 years.   He came to Oregon and had a decent freshman year, not a great one.  If not for the high school hype he’s probably not receiving the type of attention he did.  He had 9 sacks, which is good for a freshman, but only had 23 total tackles and 1 forced fumble.  2020 was a lost year due to Covid and Oregon only playing 7 games.   He had 3 sacks in 2020.   This past year he had 7 sacks, 36 solo tackles and 2 forced fumbles.   I really didn’t think he looked like a lock top 5 pick.   He’s not in the class of the Bosa’s, Myles Garrett and Chase Young.   

He's not, but neither is Hutchinson. Just a mediocre top of the draft unfortunately. 

• Upvote 4

4 minutes ago, maury77 said:

He's not, but neither is Hutchinson. Just a mediocre top of the draft unfortunately. 

This.... Hutchinson the consensus number one pick doesn't have a Bosa or Garret ceiling and the tackle out of Alabama is somewhere in between Leatherwood and Willis as a prospect coming out and Willis was taken 10th a few years ago.  It's like the top 10 doesn't exist in this draft.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, maury77 said:

This draft is short on top end top 10 talent, but deep in first round talent.  As far as full draft depth, its ok.. I think it goes to about mid/late 2nd round and then falls off a cliff.   The bottom end of this draft is bad...

Its a bit of a tough class to evaluate with all the Covid stuff.  There might be some diamonds in the rough to be found.

Sad to say, but again safety looks like the safest picks in this draft, with multiple potential probowl players available in the 1st round.  Wrs scares me in the top 10, but it's super deep.  There will likely be 1st round talents available in the 2nd round.

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Irrelevant to the Jets. They are, by sheer necessity, going to draft scrappy self-starters with every pick this year. Saleh’s gonna be banging the table for Trevor Penning at 4. 

in the 2nd round if he is there......yes. at 4? no f'ing way

17 hours ago, Barry McCockinner said:

Ehhh ... I don't think it's a great idea to take this stuff as gospel.

It could be true but also could be BS. 

I get a Coples vibe from Thibodeux. And that scares me.

Talented? Yes.

Motivated to be great? No.

5 minutes ago, Claymation said:

I get a Coples vibe from Thibodeux. And that scares me.

Talented? Yes.

Motivated to be great? No.

Who was the DE the Dolphins drafted that was 6’6 but couldn’t put on weight and sucked?  He was like a top 4 pick.   

Dion Jordan… I had to google.

1 hour ago, Matt39 said:

Idk, call me crazy but I found this to be an encouraging article.  It sounds like his teammates and coaches love his approach and he fully understands that Football is his platform to do more.  IDK, seems like the kind of guy you want.  Maybe I missing something?