Dolphins Hire Mike McDaniel As HC

Sean McVay's Rams and Kyle Shanahan's 49ers are like a head coaching factories....with everything tracing back to Mike Shanahan.

You got the Super Bowl with Zac Taylor who was Sean McVay's QB coach going up against Sean McVay's Rams. 

Kevin O'Connell to the Vikings 

Mike McDaniel to the Dolphins 

Robert Saleh with the Jets

Brandon Staley with the Chargers

Matt Lafleur with the Packers

How long until Mike Lafleur leaves the Jets for a HC job? 

• Upvote 2

27 minutes ago, playtowinthegame said:

Sean McVay's Rams and Kyle Shanahan's 49ers are like a head coaching factories....with everything tracing back to Mike Shanahan.

You got the Super Bowl with Zac Taylor who was Sean McVay's QB coach going up against Sean McVay's Rams. 

Do they all play the same defense or is it just the west coast type offense that they have in common?

5 hours ago, More Cowbell said:

Honestly, this is not going to look very good. They fired a black guy who had a successful  season for a white guy with no HC experience.  

is Flores really black? the last name sounds Hispanic.

i know there are blacks in Honduras. but the name suggests hes not.

i was just listening to Bart Scott say that because McDaniel is half black it doesnt count cause he looks white. SMH

just like last year people were saying that Saleh doesnt really count cause hes not the minority they want. 

thats why there going to have to change the language in the Rooney Rule to African Americans and not minorities. 

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, doitny said:

is Flores really black? the last name sounds Hispanic.

i know there are blacks in Honduras. but the name suggests hes not.

i was just listening to Bart Scott say that because McDaniel is half black it doesnt count cause he looks white. SMH

just like last year people were saying that Saleh doesnt really count cause hes not the minority they want. 

thats why there going to have to change the language in the Rooney Rule to African Americans and not minorities. 

Yea he is from Honduras. Lots of latinos are black or partly black though. Changing the language to AA or descendants of black Americans would exclude Flores. But it may not exclude McDaniels. Getting really complicated.

• Upvote 2

11 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

What's the difference if the fins want the same type players and are outside of the division?  

Supply and demand.  I'm simply stating that there's now an additional team that will likely want the same types of players, particularly offensive linemen, that the Jets need in order to make the system work well.  We've already discussed over the past year how there are some unique skillsets needed if you want to run this outside/wide ZBS really, really well.... as in the way SF has run it, particularly in terms of turning some very pedestrian RBs into guys who average 4.7 yards per carry.  The supply of these players isn't really increasing, but the demand obviously is.

I'm not sounding an alarm over this or anything, simply making an observation.  It will be interesting to watch the Dolphins in FA and the Draft, and the types of personnel that McDaniel pursues.  And it's not just OLinemen but what does Miami do about the TE position and Gieseke?  Will they be hunting the mid/late rounds for the next Kyle Juszczyk, etc?

9 hours ago, playtowinthegame said:

If Mike LaFleur gets a HC job (he hasn't even gotten HC interviews yet as far as I know) then that can only mean one thing.  The Jets are something like a Top 10 offense and Zach Wilson has become a huge success.

McDaniel was just in the NFC Championship Game and has been to a Super Bowl.  O'Connell is in the Super Bowl right now.  Daboll was in the AFC Championship Game.  All these guys are getting opportunities because of huge success and getting more out of their QBs than people might have expected.  LaFleur improving the Jets from the #27 offense to the #15 won't be enough.  So yes, let's hope that LaFleur is getting HC offers in 2024.

• Upvote 2

12 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

Supply and demand.  I'm simply stating that there's now an additional team that will likely want the same types of players, particularly offensive linemen, that the Jets need in order to make the system work well.  We've already discussed over the past year how there are some unique skillsets needed if you want to run this outside/wide ZBS really, really well.... as in the way SF has run it, particularly in terms of turning some very pedestrian RBs into guys who average 4.7 yards per carry.  The supply of these players isn't really increasing, but the demand obviously is.

I'm not sounding an alarm over this or anything, simply making an observation.  It will be interesting to watch the Dolphins in FA and the Draft, and the types of personnel that McDaniel pursues.  And it's not just OLinemen but what does Miami do about the TE position and Gieseke?  Will they be hunting the mid/late rounds for the next Kyle Juszczyk, etc?

And again, whats the difference to supply and demand if theyre inside or outside of the division?  

Theres more than enough players to meet the demand of OL who fit a zone blocking system.  I cant see worrying about it at this point.  Plus lets see if they even run the same systems now that they've left Shanahan

12 minutes ago, FTL Jet Fan said:

I thought they wanted to keep the defensive staff that was in place? Would be a good idea for a first year coordinator as a HC.

The good news for the Jets in the short term is that the Dolphins appear to be switching from a Parcells/Henning/BB style offense/defense to the West Coast/Shanahan/Carroll style.  That means a good amount of their roster will not be good fits for the offense and defense they want to run.   So I would expect the Dolphins to stink the next year or two.  A window for Gang Green....

• Sympathy 1

24 minutes ago, varjet said:

The good news for the Jets in the short term is that the Dolphins appear to be switching from a Parcells/Henning/BB style offense/defense to the West Coast/Shanahan/Carroll style.  That means a good amount of their roster will not be good fits for the offense and defense they want to run.   So I would expect the Dolphins to stink the next year or two.  A window for Gang Green....

Let’s throw in some forfeiture of draft picks in there as well, hopefully. Would love to see their 2 first in 2023 taken away.

On 2/7/2022 at 7:09 AM, Dunnie said:

Owner fires a HC for a better HC .. if this works for them, Flores made the wrong decison with the lawsuit.

If McDaniel sh*ts the bed ... look out.

Nuthin wrong with upgrading the position.

Itll be interesting for sure.

The owner has every right to fire whoever he wants. He doesn’t have the right to fire him because he refuses to lose game though. How McD does has nothing to do with it. 

On 2/6/2022 at 8:17 PM, jetstream23 said:

The other obvious point is just how well Saleh and LaFleur know McDaniel. Saleh will need to defend against Miami the way other teams try to defend against the Jets.

Don't forget that The D's in Buffalo and NE now get to prepare for 4 divisional games against the same O scheme. 

• Upvote 1

On 2/7/2022 at 11:55 AM, playtowinthegame said:

I dont think Lafleur is that close to being a head coach.  If everything fell the right way for this offense and him, maybe 2 years from now.

We have Calabrese as OC in waiting so if/when it happens, we are prepared.

Duuuude, I just saw his presser, holy hell! How does someone listen to this guy for 5 seconds and think he’s going to lead a group of football players into battle. This is my prime example of how this fad of hiring genius offensive minds is leading to disaster at HC. These are nerds who can figure out extremely detailed plays, but being a HC requires you to be relatable as a human being and to be the whip when needed. This guy, just like Gase for example, is just awkward and has zero ability to be a HC. Thank God the Dolphins hired him!

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

• Upvote 3

9 hours ago, Snell41 said:

Duuuude, I just saw his presser, holy hell! How does someone listen to this guy for 5 seconds and think he’s going to lead a group of football players into battle. This is my prime example of how this fad of hiring genius offensive minds is leading to disaster at HC. These are nerds who can figure out extremely detailed plays, but being a HC requires you to be relatable as a human being and to be the whip when needed. This guy, just like Gase for example, is just awkward and has zero ability to be a HC. Thank God the Dolphins hired him!

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

It was painful to watch.  

On 2/6/2022 at 7:06 PM, bla bla bla said:

Outside the box is a good way to describe this hire.

I have seen him in a few interviews. All I will say is the NY media would eat this guy up.

The Dolphins released his call with Tua. It was supposed to be a pump up thing. The coach was stuttering, unreal.