Houston Texans in talks with Lovie Smith to be head coach

KarlaftisFan

21 minutes ago, KarlaftisFan said:

This would be a very odd hire. Lovie is coming off a failed stint as HC of the Illinois Fighting Illini and is going to be 64 years old. Their plan was to fire David Culley so they could promote Lovie Smith? 

I think with the people in charge that their egos lead them to believe they could convince some higher quality candidates to take the job. For some reason, there's a belief that being associated with Belichick/Brady makes you a good coach/front office guy. 

19 minutes ago, undertow said:

It's a meh hire but it's not more or less odd then hiring any other retread coach...as if hiring Todd Bowles, Brain Flores, or Dan Quinn is any different. 

BS it's about them still hiring a Black coach not named Flores.

They're distancing themselves from the situation.

It's sad that it is come to this. What's even more sad is that we're taking away everybody else's uphill battle and what they fought through to climb the corporate ladder just like everybody else does in every other career or field of work.

I've said this once before and I will try to be delicate with my words, but every time you congratulate somebody for being the first female whatever, the first black whatever, the first handicapped whatever, the first blind whatever.... It ruins their dignity.

Hey listen I'm a musician and I happen to be deaf in one ear. Truth.

I don't want to be known as the musician who's deaf in one ear. It doesn't matter.

I threw my hat in the ring I'm ready to rock ....let's go.

There are no exceptions and there are no excuses on your way in... or out.

If you expect some free s*** because you complain, you can't complain about it afterwards.

What does that say about the people that didn't complain and broke their asses to get to the top? We are only taking away from their plight.

• Upvote 1
  • Confused 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Greenbloodblitz said:

BS it's about them still hiring a Black coach not named Flores.

Their distancing themselves from the situation.

It's sad that it is come to this. What's even more sad is that we're taking away everybody else's uphill battle and what they fought through to climb the corporate ladder just like everybody else does in every other carrer or field of work.

I've said this once before and I will try to be delicate with my words, but every time you congratulate somebody for being the first female whatever, the first black whatever, the first handicapped whatever, the first blind whatever.... It ruins their dignity.

Hey listen I'm a musician and I happen to be deaf in one ear. Truth.

I don't want to be known as the musician who's deaf in one ear. It doesn't matter.

I threw my hat in the ring I'm ready to rock ....let's go.

There are no exceptions and there are no excuses on your way in... or out.

If you expect some free s*** because you complain, you can't complain about it afterwards.

What does that say about the people that didn't complain and broke their asses to get to the top? We are only taking away from their plight.

I deleted my comment because I don't care and don't wanna get sucked into nonsense. lmao

3 minutes ago, undertow said:

What are talking about? lol  Flores just had a job making 3 mil a year and was probably gonna get a job within a few weeks and be out of work a few months.  You people who are treating Brian Flores like Martin Luther King are mental.

Dude I think you completely misunderstood my response?

What I was trying to say is Brian Flores is undermining all of the other people of his color that have never complained.

They just worked their asses off like we all do to get to the top rung at our respective careers or jobs.

We all have to deal with people being salty, bias, racist, maybe somebody just doesn't like you cuz of your hair?

Who hasn't dealt with that?

That was my point-

• Upvote 2
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Greenbloodblitz said:

Dude I think you completely misunderstood my response?

What I was trying to say is Brian Flores is undermining all of the other people of his color that have never complained.

They just worked their asses off like we all do to get to the top rung at our respective careers or jobs.

We all have to deal with people being salty, bias, racist, maybe somebody just doesn't like you cuz of your hair?

Who hasn't dealt with that?

That was my point-

Oh yeah I agree my bad......I deleted that comment before you responded anyway don't really wanna get sucked into these debates they go nowhere but the inevitable gaslighting and hysterics.  

5 minutes ago, undertow said:

Oh yeah I agree my bad......I deleted that comment before you responded anyway don't really wanna get sucked into these debates they go nowhere but the inevitable gaslighting and hysterics.  

Understood.

No debate here... it's all good.

48 minutes ago, Greenbloodblitz said:

It's sad that it is come to this. What's even more sad is that we're taking away everybody else's uphill battle and what they fought through to climb the corporate ladder just like everybody else does in every other career or field of work.

Joe Judge is still available.

• Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 3

How is the ghost of Lovie Smith better than Leftwich, Bieniemy, Wink, Frazier,  or hell even Flores!? Very odd hire that seems like a dead end.  Do the Texans think Lovie is gonna take them into the future or are they just gonna dump him after one season? Glad the Jets are involved in this year's coaching carousel!

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Nick Caserio was once a highly-coveted GM candidate held out forever, only to take this godforsaken gig. He must be absolutely suicidal at this point.

Totally the author of his own demise, oh and the thought that pats management guys re genus is as laughable as the stable of assistants belli has groomed to be head coaches.

Pioli was the last guy there that seemed good.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Nick Caserio was once a highly-coveted GM candidate who held out forever, only to take this godforsaken gig. He must be absolutely suicidal at this point.

he had Watson for 2 months. anyone would have taken that job.

23 minutes ago, Fantasy Island said:

I'm pulling for Aaron Glenn to get it.  And..............he was better than Revis.

I loved Aaron Glenn - even wore his number in my playing days.  But Revis at his peak was better.

Glenn was a terrific cover Corner for a long time. Revis, at his prime, was one of the best of all-time.

7 hours ago, KarlaftisFan said:

This would be a very odd hire. Lovie is coming off a failed stint as HC of the Illinois Fighting Illini and is going to be 64 years old. Their plan was to fire David Culley so they could promote Lovie Smith? 

At this rate, Texans are probably going to end up hiring David Culley. 

• Haha 4

6 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Joe Judge is still available.

And again, had Flores not pissed off Ross and went along with the game he'd probably still be coaching in Miami. I still think Flores was blackballed by Ross with other owners as being a guy you can't trust to do your bidding. Is Flores a substantially better quality coach than Joe Judge or Dan Moronic Campbell. Of course. But you still have to make your boss happy, especially when its a billionaire egomaniac with 31 buddies in the old boy club. I think Flores is fighting less due to racist hiring practices and more due to owner collusion to shut him out for having an "uncooperative" attitude. But the racial case has traction; the collusion case is impossible to pursue.

• Confused 1
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, David Harris said:

God the Texans make me feel good about being a Jets fan for once

Does this affect the Houston draft at all? Defensive guy that’s bad with QB’s.

I think it’s hugely unlikely they pass on Thibodeaux if Lovie gets a say.

17 minutes ago, varjet said:

For the NFL to fix itself the Dolphins, Texans and probably Commanders and Jets need to be sold.    The teams they play them will  be unfairly advantaged. 

Does Dan Snyder’s wife count as the first female owner in the NFL right now? 

David Culley should have never been fired. He had a team with almost no talent competitive in a lot of their games. Why would anyone that has long term aspirations as a head coach take on that dumpster fire.

• Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

Does Dan Snyder’s wife count as the first female owner in the NFL right now? 

There are / were quite a few.

First that sprang to mind was Georgia Frontiere was Rams owner for a long time (1979 - 2008).

But Chicago, Detroit, Houston and many others have female owners / joint owners.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_NFL_franchise_owners

4 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

Did not know that. Thanks. 

I edited my original post after doing a quick search. There are actually quite a lot of female owners - more than I had thought.