Houston Texans in talks with Lovie Smith to be head coach

12 minutes ago, JiFapono said:

Yes, it's moronic and the Texans are stupid.  They hired a HC into the worst situation in the NFL, he exceeded expectations and then you fire him only to hire one of his assistants who just coached in the NFL for the first time in 7 years?   Under this logic, why fire Bill O'Brien and hire Culley? O'Brien is much more qualified.  

This is stupidity at its highest level. I'm just glad it's not the Jets this time.

They fired Culley to hire Flores, and it fell through. Hiring a former head coach who spent time away from head coaching is a smart move. Hiring Lovie Smith is a less moronic move than hiring Flores. Hiring a head coach who was just fired is stupid and moronic, so they dodged a bullet. 

8 minutes ago, TheNuuFaaolaExperience said:

They fired Culley to hire Flores, and it fell through. Hiring a former head coach who spent time away from head coaching is a smart move. Hiring Lovie Smith is a less moronic move than hiring Flores. Hiring a head coach who was just fired is stupid and moronic, so they dodged a bullet. 

Agreed to disagree. 

Lovie Smith went 2-14 and 6-10 the last 2 seasons he coached in the NFL.  

His records at Illinois - 3-9, 2-10, 4-8, 6-7, 2-6.  

Lovie Smith hasnt had a winning season as a HC since 2012. 

lmfao

• Upvote 1

On 2/6/2022 at 11:27 PM, DoubleDecker said:

How is the ghost of Lovie Smith better than Leftwich, Bieniemy, Wink, Frazier,  or hell even Flores!? Very odd hire that seems like a dead end.  Do the Texans think Lovie is gonna take them into the future or are they just gonna dump him after one season? Glad the Jets are involved in this year's coaching carousel!

The Texans organization is a swirling turd.  Lovie Smith is a cool calm voice of reason who can turn off the noise.  It's a very solid hire for an organization that doesn't need splash, they need stability.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, JiFapono said:

Agreed to disagree. 

Lovie Smith went 2-14 and 6-10 the last 2 seasons he coached in the NFL.  

His records at Illinois - 3-9, 2-10, 4-8, 6-7, 2-6.  

Lovie Smith hasnt had a winning season as a HC since 2012. 

lmfao

LMFAO

2-14 with Josh McCown in 2014. LMFAO

LMFAO

6-10 with with rookie Jameis Winston. LMFAO

LMFAO

• WTF? 1

On 2/6/2022 at 10:16 PM, jetstream23 said:

Not odd at all if you step back and look at what’s going on.

Texans were down to Flores and McCown. They don’t want Flores. 

So Lovie is dragged out of his long hibernation to resurface as a coaching candidate. What a coincidence.  They had no choice but to hire a black coach , to “disprove” Flores’ claims. 

• Post of the Week 1

3 hours ago, JiFapono said:

Yes, it's moronic and the Texans are stupid.  They hired a HC into the worst situation in the NFL, he exceeded expectations and then you fire him only to hire one of his assistants who just coached in the NFL for the first time in 7 years?   Under this logic, why fire Bill O'Brien and hire Culley? O'Brien is much more qualified.  

This is stupidity at its highest level. I'm just glad it's not the Jets this time.

Sounds just like Flores’ situation who exceeded expectations and was then fired. Actually I believe he was fired with the expectation to fail, giving the Fins  draft picks, while waiting for their dream coach to become available. Boy did Flores screw that up 

4 hours ago, Xtina said:

So Lovie is dragged out of his long hibernation to resurface as a coaching candidate. What a coincidence.  They had no choice but to hire a black coach , to “disprove” Flores’ claims. 

Lovie Smith is just a safe choice for a number of reasons I guess.  Takes a bit of pressure off the minority hiring focus and, more importantly for the team, adds some stability with a very experienced coach who has earned respect and knows how to run a team.  Now, I don't think he's particularly great coach and he doesn't seem to have been highly sought after by too many other teams, but again, he's a safe choice kind of the way a Jim Caldwell would be.  He'll right the ship.  Houston isn't swinging for the fences or taking a chance on a young, up-and-coming "innovator" type coach, they're hiring someone to stop their boat from rocking.

The younger minority candidates I'd love to see get a shot sooner rather than later are guys like Leftwich, Demeco Ryans and maybe even Aaron Glenn at some point.  And, as much as I want to see them get a chance I'd also hate to see them hired too early and fizzle out if they're destined to become good coaches.  Sometimes staying put or taking a lateral move to get more experience and seasoning really helps when someone finally takes that next step as a HC.

• Upvote 1