How Should the Jets Fortify the Offensive Line

JetNation

GreenBean is at the Alamo this week and what better topic is there to talk about than the line. The line of scrimmage is where the battles are won.

What can the Jets do to improve the offensive line?

Cameron Clark just announced his retirement and although the Jets have talent there is a need for depth. LVT, Morgan Moses, and Connor McDermitt are free agents. Joe Douglas finally has his QB and maybe he spends on the offensive line in free agency. In the past, Douglas has done bargain shopping on the offensive line through free agency. He found George Fant that way, but what will be the plan to find a marquee interior olineman?

Tune in as GreenBean takes you through the names that are out there in both free agency and the NFL draft. Check out this video and let us know what you think in our NY Jets forum.

The post How Should the Jets Fortify the Offensive Line appeared first on JetNation.com (NY Jets Blog & Forum).

Click here to read the full story...

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, JetNation said:

GreenBean is at the Alamo this week and what better topic is there to talk about than the line. The line of scrimmage is where the battles are won.

Cameron Clark just announced his retirement and although the Jets have talent there is a need for depth. LVT, Morgan Moses, and Connor McDermitt are free agents. Joe Douglas finally has his QB and maybe he spends on the offensive line in free agency. In the past, Douglas has done bargain shopping on the offensive line through free agency. He found George Fant that way, but what will be the plan to find a marquee interior olineman?

Tune in as GreenBean takes you through the names that are out there in both free agency and the NFL draft. Check out this video and let us know what you think in our NY Jets forum.

The post How Should the Jets Fortify the Offensive Line appeared first on JetNation.com (NY Jets Blog & Forum).

By drafting Ekwono and looking to trade Becton for draft capitol.  They may be able to get a # 3 for him.

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/6/2022 at 10:02 PM, JetNation said:

Pay Cappa what ever he wants.  Draft Ekwonu (I HOPE The Jags take Evan Neal and not Ekwonu)  Do everything and anything possible to trade Becton before the rest of the worlds finds out he is dead weight.   I'd be ecstatic if they got a third rounder for him, but would be plenty satisfied with a fourth. 

I don't care who the Jets already have on the line.  I want elite players from LT to RT.   The offensive line is the most important untit of a team circa 2022.   

• Upvote 2
  • WTF? 1

35 minutes ago, THE BARON said:

Pay Cappa what ever he wants.  Draft Ekwonu (I HOPE The Jags take Evan Neal and not Ekwonu)  Do everything and anything possible to trade Becton before the rest of the worlds finds out he is dead weight.   I'd be ecstatic if they got a third rounder for him, but would be plenty satisfied with a fourth. 

I don't care who the Jets already have on the line.  I want elite players from LT to RT.   The offensive line is the most important until of a team circa 2022.   

Becton is going nowhere

• Upvote 4

8 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

We just need a RG.  That will be Ekwonu at 4.  Our line for next year will be:

Fant - AVT - McGovern - Ekwonu - Becton

That is a freakin wall my friends.

Let's say we went Edge at #4... Then traded back to the middle of the round and drafted Tyler Linderbaum, recouping a mid-round pick. 

Fant - AVT - Linberbaum - McGovern/LDT - Becton

That is a wide zone wet dream, my friend. 

Draft. 

Yes, the Jets could sign a high priced FA, or a mid-tier FA, of a low-priced FA and they could all work out. But the answer is THE DRAFT. Whether its a high draft pick like Ekwonu who could end up being a dominant Guard or eventually step in to take over one of the T positions, OR mid to lower draft pick who is more of a developmental guy and would serve as depth to start and step in as a starter at G next year, you continue building the line through the draft.  

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, Greenseed4 said:

Let's say we went Edge at #4... Then traded back to the middle of the round and drafted Tyler Linderbaum, recouping a mid-round pick. 

Fant - AVT - Linberbaum - McGovern/LDT - Becton

That is a wide zone wet dream, my friend. 

McGovern is fine at center.  No need to replace him right now.

• Upvote 2

11 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

We just need a RG.  That will be Ekwonu at 4.  Our line for next year will be:

Fant - AVT - McGovern - Ekwonu - Becton

That is a freakin wall my friends.

Yet folks dump on this.

If the top 2 edges are gone he HAS to be the pick. 

That line would be impregnable. Zach would have another 1-2 seconds and then you’d see a near 70% passer. 

From the Daily News not me...  But this is how I feel to a tee.

"Well, Ekwonu’s versatility would allow him to fill a hole at right guard as a rookie, replace Fant as a starter on one side when his contract expires in 2023 and provide insurance if Becton — the 2020 first-rounder who was Jeremiah’s top-ranked tackle in that class — turns into a bust. Fant and Becton are in competition to start at left tackle in 2022."

The way I see it, he starts at RG in 2022, and possibly 2023, before moving to either LT or RT, come 2024, and then we can use the draft to replace him at RG.  That to me is the best case scenario.

The only other scenario is being garaunteed, that we get someone like Zion in the 2nd round this year. Otherwise, we shouldn't be happy with JD that he didn't do what he said he was going to do with Darnold, now with Zach.

Pick #10 = trade down, or WR/EDGE. Drake/Trey, or JJ.

• Upvote 1

Let me put this out there.  The Giants who are now being run by the guys who ran the Bills need to build their offensive line as well and that is actually the team that I can see doubling down on offensive lineman.  They could draft Left Taclkle Penning or Cross and then take Tyler the Center all within the top 10.  

Tyler Linderbaum is a guy that is so good and fits our scheme so well I'd honestly consider drafting him at 4 and take a chance on the tackle at 10 or trade back. Becton will be one of our tackles with Fant.  McGovern could actually be worth a 2nd round pick in a trade and there are some amazing guards that could be had in the 2nd round.   Gaining another 2nd round pick you could sign a defensive tackle or edge rusher or safety from Penn state with the first of the 2nds, then take the guard, and lets say you don't sign Geiseki the TE in free agency you take either McBride or Ruckert the TE's.   

Either direction you go in, adding Tyler to that offensive line makes any name receiver, TE, Zack Wilson and Michael Carter that much better.

• Upvote 1

By drafting Ekwono and looking to trade Becton for draft capitol.  They may be able to get a # 3 for him.

yup - trade #11 pick in draft for a 3rd rounder after one down year - excellent way to build this team - i’m not saying becton won’t bust out but to cavalierly propose we cut bait at this point is silly - js

The issue with envisioning Ekwonu at RG as part of an elite pass pro OL is that even someone like Daniel Jeremiah, who has Ekwonu as his #2 prospect in the draft, acknowledges that Ekwonu has some technique issues in pass protection. So there's a chance he's a great guard, and there's also a chance you've got a rookie guard who's an inconsistent pass protector. This isn't an ideal tools minus length or height to play outside and therefore a really clean guard prospect situation like AVT, and even AVT struggled early and went in the teens. I think the downside is very real but being swept under the rug a little bit in the Ekwonu conversation. Ekwonu is pretty certain to make an impact in the run game, but if the goal is to put Wilson behind an offensive line that's going to give him time I'm not so sure he's a lock there and I think in general a veteran is a better option than a rookie there.

In my opinion, the OL improved over the course of the season with a rookie LG, RT who moved to LT, second string RT, and a change in starting RG to a guy who had been a backup. John Benton showed he's a good coach. I'd like to give him rookies who are depth pieces to develop. Extend Fant - he was great at protecting Wilson last year, don't mess around there. Sign a veteran right guard and maybe Becton insurance at RT. Then instead of signing free agent OL depth, draft a center/guard and a tackle somewhere to be backups for this year. Let Benton develop them, build a little bit of a pipeline on the OL so that you've got a little Becton insurance or at worst a backup swing tackle and a guy who can potentially take over for McGovern after his contract expires. 

I think a strategy like that allows the Jets to have a solid OL that they can be pretty confident will protect Wilson effectively and builds young depth. 

I know we all want an excellent offensive line for multiple reasons, not the least of which is that the last time the Jets were good they had an excellent offensive line. But another OL prospect in the first round would be shades of the former offensive lineman GM version of defensive coaches like Ryan and Bowles who were experts on that side of the ball but invested all their high end resources on guys to play on that side instead of relying upon scheme and development (though Ryan did develop pretty well on the DL - but they underinvested on offense with early picks during his tenure).