Becton’s offseason update

On 2/7/2022 at 8:51 AM, Sarge4Tide said:

What are the optics?  That a bunch of whiney ankle biters will say something bad about you on an internet board in their on going juvenile attempts to belittle you? The optics are much worse for the whiney ankle biters

You have a 21 year old PFC who keeps failing his APFT and is borderline on his tape test. He's smart and a good marksman, and has the potential to be a good soldier. Do you:

A. Baby him and hope he suddenly gets it?

B. Ride his ass like an actual NCO until he un****s himself or eats his way to a General discharge?

Just wondering  

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

4 minutes ago, C Mart said:

@BigTicket73

Thanks! I’ll make sure you never get in

Henry @HenrHamnswiss

Replying to @BigTicket73

I’m just glad I didn’t buy your jersey. Your gonna make a great bouncer in two years.

@BigTicket73

Now im mid ok bro well it’s a thing called “free time” I apologize that you set yourself up to not have any my guy

Henry @HenrHamnswiss

Replying to @NYJToday and @BigTicket73

Lmao I’m not live 24/7 that’s for sure. N if I was a mid nfl tackle about to lose my job then yea I’d be working out pretty heavy.

Seems like a 100% good natured kid and likes who he is. But, maybe I’m wrong but he seems little bit more comfortable with his place as a mid level tackle than he should be. Considering I’d be more apt to qualify it as a mid level tackle if he could control his weight and stay on the field. Before everyone go’s crazy, with the potential to be blah blah blah. He also seems to not realize that he sorta loss his job this year to a guy that severely outplayed him in the passing game. After reading this I think we may see a tackle drafted  in the first round. Kinda blows. 

11 hours ago, Smashmouth said:

Is it hatred or disgust ?

No. Most of it is is very clearly hatred. Some of it is disappointment, which I can understand.  But all of this stuff with the revisionist history of him not showing up in shape for camp and that he missed much of the 2020 season with injuries are both demonstrably incorrect. He was in great shape for camp and he played through a shoulder injury for much of the 2020 season. 

The kid had a tough break this season and did not work to keep himself in shape when in recovery from surgery. Hopefully, he learned his lesson, but if I worked my ass off harder than I did my whole life to get ready for the season and then some jabroni rolled up my leg making me have to get surgery (I think his first), I'd probably get depressed and fall into some old bad habits.  Frankly, I am concerned that his take in this is - Why work hard when the benefits of all of the hard work can be taken from you in an instant. I am hopeful that the Jet coaches can convince him that this is but a speed bump to an all pro career if he is willing to put in the work, just like he did last offseason. 

The kid is a monstrosity and I am a fan. It is my greatest desire that he fulfill his potential with the Jets.  I will root for the kid's success, not his failure. And regardless of his success or failure, I will bare him no ill will.

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

1 hour ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

You have a 21 year old PFC who keeps failing his APFT and is borderline on his tape test. He's smart and a good marksman, and has the potential to be a good soldier. Do you:

B. Ride his ass like an actual NCO until he un****s himself or eats his way to a General discharge?

Just wondering  

I'd ask PFC Pyle, but he can't come to the phone.?

1 hour ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

Just wondering  

image.png.f80b4766f25420f3666b92dd080288df.png

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, Ghost420 said:

The dude is a large human and probably couldn't even work out properly with a knee injury. Kinda makes sense he put on weight but I'm not doctor. 

Yes, if he continued to eat like he was working out.  How about cutting the calories when you’re disabled?

He’s a professional and his body is his job. 

• Upvote 3

25 minutes ago, Jimmy 2 Times said:

Yes, if he continued to eat like he was working out.  How about cutting the calories when you’re disabled?

He’s a professional and his body is his job. 

How about we wait until the next season starts to see what he really looks like? 

3 hours ago, Dunnie said:
14 hours ago, Peace Frog said:
It's a huge specator sport/industry.  Dudes sitting around watching other dude play video games.
These kids make millions.  

Its one of the saddest commentaries on today's pop culture.

This is how a lot of kids socialize, over headphones. Your friend group depends on if you play PC, Xbox or PlayStation. 

patenting factors in as well. My parents let me outside lol. Helicopter parents nowadays are happy to have the kids in their room. 

the console manufacturers started it. They worked with the game developers to get rid of split screen 2 player and improve online play. 

they intentionally created a system where each kid needed his own console and headphones and internet connection to play multiplayer 

2 hours ago, Sonny Werblin said:

No. Most of it is is very clearly hatred. Some of it is disappointment, which I can understand.  But all of this stuff with the revisionist history of him not showing up in shape for camp and that he missed much of the 2020 season with injuries are both demonstrably incorrect. He was in great shape for camp and he played through a shoulder injury for much of the 2020 season. 

The kid had a tough break this season and did not work to keep himself in shape when in recovery from surgery. Hopefully, he learned his lesson, but if I worked my ass off harder than I did my whole life to get ready for the season and then some jabroni rolled up my leg making me have to get surgery (I think his first), I'd probably get depressed and fall into some old bad habits.  Frankly, I am concerned that his take in this is - Why work hard when the benefits of all of the hard work can be taken from you in an instant. I am hopeful that the Jet coaches can convince him that this is but a speed bump to an all pro career if he is willing to put in the work, just like he did last offseason. 

The kid is a monstrosity and I am a fan. It is my greatest desire that he fulfill his potential with the Jets.  I will root for the kid's success, not his failure. And regardless of his success or failure, I will bare him no ill will.

Apparently you care more about his success than he does.

• Haha 2

This is how a lot of kids socialize, over headphones. Your friend group depends on if you play PC, Xbox or PlayStation. 

patenting factors in as well. My parents let me outside lol. Helicopter parents nowadays are happy to have the kids in their room. 

the console manufacturers started it. They worked with the game developers to get rid of split screen 2 player and improve online play. 

they intentionally created a system where each kid needed his own console and headphones and internet connection to play multiplayer 

I think the over protection and isolation of children in modern culture has retarded their maturity. I see it in my own family ... young people graduating college just seem like they have the maturity of high school freshman/sophmore ...

I swear i dont remember players seeming this young from the 80s. In general the ability to take care/handle one's self seems to have deminished.

I guess there have always been man-children.

• Upvote 2

22 minutes ago, Dunnie said:

I think the over protection and isolation of children in modern culture has retarded their maturity. I see it in my own family ... young people graduating college just seem like they have the maturity of high school freshman/sophmore ...

I swear i dont remember players seeming this young from the 80s. In general the ability to take care/handle one's self seems to have deminished.

Kids are never on there own anymore ever.  It definitely CAN affect there maturity 

Growing up, you would get home from school, drop your stuff off, do your HW and be out. Came home when you heard the whistle or the street lights came on. Your mother knew you where you were but she didn’t “know” where you were. There wasn’t a tracking device in your pocket, a phone or even a beeper yet. You were in the neighborhood doing whatever, but independent from an adult most times. Definitely HELPS in the life experience category of maturity. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

9 minutes ago, Anthony Jet said:

Kids are never on there own anymore ever.  It definitely CAN affect there maturity 

Growing up, you would get home from school, drop your stuff off, do your HW and be out. Came home when you heard the whistle or the street lights came on. Your mother knew you where you were but she didn’t “know” where you were. There wasn’t a tracking device in your pocket, a phone or even a beeper yet. You were in the neighborhood doing whatever, but independent from an adult most times. Definitely HELPS in the life experience category of maturity. 

I was putting M-80's in my neighbors mail box.  If I was a kid after 9/11 I woul be living in Gutanamo Bay. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Dunnie said:

I agree   Born in 67, being inside was due to punishment or rain lol. But as a video game OG I can relate to how immersive it is. 
There are always exceptions of course, but I think generally it takes longer to learn “adulting “ skills.   

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

4 minutes ago, freestater said:

Debate on Becton aside, what's your thoughts on drafting another OT with a first round pick this year?

I don't see it. The Jets have greater needs. If they draft a T I think it will be 4th round or later and it will be an raw athletic guy with upside like Obinna Eze, TCU - who didn't play football until his senior year in HS due to some weird rule about foreign exchange students.

18 minutes ago, Sonny Werblin said:

I don't see it. The Jets have greater needs. If they draft a T I think it will be 4th round or later and it will be an raw athletic guy with upside like Obinna Eze, TCU - who didn't play football until his senior year in HS due to some weird rule about foreign exchange students.

Okeedoke. I was just wondering. I am hoping we take a lineman in the first or second, although the two guys I was really hoping gor in the second now seem like they'll be going in the 1st.

1 hour ago, freestater said:

Okeedoke. I was just wondering. I am hoping we take a lineman in the first or second, although the two guys I was really hoping gor in the second now seem like they'll be going in the 1st.

I think if we take an OL in the first or second, it will be a G. It is a bigger area of need and there is less of a bust factor at G than T.