Becton’s offseason update

9 minutes ago, Stark said:

He also posted he’s having a baby. Man. He should be trying to have a kid while he’s obviously a lazy, irresponsible, overweight, unmotivated 20 year old.  

the takes on this board keep getting more ridiculous. 

maybe he’s completely going to bomb out of the league. And waste his time that he could be training or rehabbing playing video games

or 

maybe he did train and do rehab and he’s doing what a large percentage of people would do after… sit down and chill. Instead of reading a book or watching a movie/show he’s playing video games. 

we don’t know which is true but damn. jet nation gonna jet nation 

@The Crusher baby poop soft. What’s a dirty diaper gonna be like for a “little ticket” ??? 15-20 lbs? Lol

Changing baby Crusher’s diapers was  a two person job. Other 4 kids, easy change, wipe the butt in proper direction slab on the Desitin and put a diaper on, wash your hands. Changing Baby Crusher’s diaper in a word….? Terrifying. 

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, The Crusher said:

Changing baby Crusher’s diapers was  a two person job. Other 4 kids, easy change, wipe the butt in proper direction slab on the Desitin and put a diaper on, wash your hands. Changing Baby Crusher’s diaper in a word….? Terrifying. 

Haha.  Man…. I can relate. Kids 1-3 easy. Kid 4 my lord

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Adoni Beast said:

Even if he is on the path to weight loss, physical rehab, and playbook study habits of MIT students....given the narrative that has been written about him for all of 2021...

...You should have a little self-awareness that this post/tweet/whatever would be a bad optic...just saying.

Honestly, anything the guy would do would somehow be precieved as bad other than him eating salads and lifting. 

• Upvote 3

45 minutes ago, varjet said:

If he posted his Tristan Wirf-like workouts AND playing video games while he recovered, everyone would be cool with it.   He needs to work on his presentation. 

Idk man - I don’t really care what he’s posting on the internet.  There’s plenty of football players that aren’t posting about their workouts.  Hopefully he comes in next camp and is improved, it’s all we can hope.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Barry McCockinner said:

It's not his job to prevent whiny fans from crying about him. Trying to appease this fan base would be a fools errand anyway.

I don't think its an attempt to appease a fan base, but rather your public professional image. This goes beyond fans.

This is being looked at by coaches/gms from all teams and if you are potentially on the bubble with your current team...its not a good look by perpetuating the notion that you are in fact...a fat, lazy, immature, child, who doesn't take his career seriously enough.

40 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

Honestly, anything the guy would do would somehow be precieved as bad other than him eating salads and lifting. 

Probably, but that's sort of the situation he has put himself in. It comes with the territory of being a professional athlete.

He had all the good will and happy vibes that social media provided for him in 2020. This is the flip side to that coin.

In any profession or facet of life, if there is a negative narrative being spread about you, I think it would be prudent to avoid anything public that would help perpetuate that...again that's just me.

It's a different generation out there now with different mindset and values. 

There is nothing wrong with playing video games. But this is a bad look because why post that? After an entire season where your work ethic, maturity, and commitment were questioned through the media....and a week after your own coach said "he would have to earn his job back"...why feel the need to post about video games?

Again, that's just me. I'm a dying breed who has the thought process of an alien to most people 30 and under.

• Upvote 2

14 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:

Probably, but that's sort of the situation he has put himself in. It comes with the territory of being a professional athlete.

He had all the good will and happy vibes that social media provided for him in 2020. This is the flip side to that coin.

In any profession or facet of life, if there is a negative narrative being spread about you, I think it would be prudent to avoid anything public that would help perpetuate that...again that's just me.

It's a different generation out there now with different mindset and values. 

There is nothing wrong with playing video games. But this is a bad look because why post that? After an entire season where your work ethic, maturity, and commitment were questioned through the media....and a week after your own coach said "he would have to earn his job back"...why feel the need to post about video games?

Again, that's just me. I'm a dying breed who has the thought process of an alien to most people 30 and under.

Playing video games doesn't  make you immature unless you are playing something made for toddlers. 

2 hours ago, Sarge4Tide said:

What are the optics?  That a bunch of whiney ankle biters will say something bad about you on an internet board in their on going juvenile attempts to belittle you? The optics are much worse for the whiney ankle biters

Well said Sarge!!!

3 hours ago, Alka said:

If I was an NFL player, drafted high in the first round of the draft, and just missed the entire NFL season due to injury, I wouldn't be using social media to discuss my next video game.  

I would be aware of the optics of people who follow me, and knowing that many are Jets football fans. 

But hey, that's just me.

You’re probably not 24 and just became rich after growing up poor either. His perspective is probably quite different. 

• Upvote 2

11 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

You can follow his progress as he live streams himself playing video games.

Becton is have fun getting Jets fans worked up. I haven't seen this level of interest paid to a Jets player's social networking post since Jamal Adams.

All we need now is for Becton to say he's the greatest left tackle in da nation.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

39 minutes ago, Larz said:

This is from January 18. 

I don’t know how he can even walk bring 600 lbs.  

F0096FE8-3568-4E9B-A9D9-E253BE68EEF0.png

38 minutes ago, Larz said:

A month earlier.    The belly alone is 200 lbs 

41B5D052-AA4E-4580-8303-64DB720BB5EA.png

Holy cow--he looks like he's 700 pounds.  That dog looks to be about 400 pounds and that truck looks like a Tonka Toy behind him.  

10 minutes ago, Fantasy Island said:

No because he is not responsible enough to do a job he is paid millions to do.  And with food prices on the rise, he has to be hurting financially about now.

What exactly are you basing that on ? Did you see the pics I posted ?

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, docdhc said:

You’re probably not 24 and just became rich after growing up poor either. His perspective is probably quite different. 

You got me there.  What I am is a 62 year old guy who has worked his butt off over the last 40 years, trying to make a better life for myself and my family, and hopefully gaining some wisdom along the way.   My advice is based upon my life experiences, and hopefully there are people who are decades younger than I am who can learn something from me.  For myself, I have never stopped learning, and I will never be too old to admit that I can learn something from anyone, being they old or young. 

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, Alka said:

You got me there.  What I am is a 62 year old guy who has worked his butt off over the last 40 years, trying to make a better life for myself and my family, and hopefully gaining some wisdom along the way.   My advice is based upon my life experiences, and hopefully there are people who are decades younger than I am who can learn something from me.  For myself, I have never stopped learning, and I will never be too old to admit that I can learn something from anyone, being they old or young. 

I'm 64 and agree with you.  I just wouldn't expect Becton to have that perspective or wisdom.  You know, youth is wasted on the young.

8 hours ago, the Claw said:

You would have been raised in a time with fortnite and twitch and tiktok, etc. It’s likely that you would have done this very thing.  

You're probably right.  I hope I would be smarter than that, but I wasn't raised in that time, and so, for that reason, I can't really say.

Some players have earned the benefit of the doubt.  They've shown who they are and have earned the respect of their coaches, teammates and fans.  Becton simply isn't in that spot right now.  He somehow turned an 8 week injury into a 16 week injury.  He put the GM and coaches in the tough spot of having to be purposely vague about his injury and rehab, simply stating that "he's not ready yet," or that there have been some setbacks, etc. as we got into Week 10, Week 12, etc.

Essentially, Becton wasn't managing himself well enough to return to the field in a reasonable amount of time.  His priorities weren't on football or getting back to the team that needed him.  To me, that doesn't mean he's a bad person, it just means he's not a responsible professional who a team can rely on.  And so here we are.... After being drafted at #11 overall and playing pretty well last year as a rookie he has lost the confidence of his coaches and they've said his starting spot isn't safe even if he's 100% healthy.  That's not a comment you make about a very talented player who you're expecting to only improve after a solid rookie year at LT.  That's the comment you make when you don't trust someone anymore.

I could care less about streaming video games, but it does reveal something about his priorities and whether the coaches saying his job is up for grabs bothers him at all.  He's a professional athlete who is trying to recover from an injury and now rehab his reputation a bit as well, all while being a new father.  If the thing at the top of his mind is finding out which video games people think he should play then so be it.  The games I wanted to see him play were in December.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

1 hour ago, Alka said:

You're probably right.  I hope I would be smarter than that, but I wasn't raised in that time, and so, for that reason, I can't really say.

I can’t imagine sitting and watching some dude play video games, but it’s hugely popular and I imagine I’d somehow get sucked into it if I was in my teens or early twenties. These times is crazy.

• Upvote 1