Becton’s offseason update

13 hours ago, Untouchable said:

George Fant putting in work and talking pro-bowl next year while this fat puss is hovering around 400 lbs and playing Fortnite…

Give Fant his extension and re-sign Moses

Man I remember when i warned you guys about Becton and the possibility he would not be able to sustain that weight and was a huge risk and almost got hung in here . How times have changed

• Upvote 2

54 minutes ago, Smashmouth said:

Man I remember when i warned you guys about Becton and the possibility he would not be able to sustain that weight and was a huge risk and almost got hung in here . How times have changed

As a collective, JetNation can't say it wasn't warned by you.  It was our fault.  We shouldn't have made that draft pick.

• Haha 3

Some players have earned the benefit of the doubt.  They've shown who they are and have earned the respect of their coaches, teammates and fans.  Becton simply isn't in that spot right now.  He somehow turned an 8 week injury into a 16 week injury.  He put the GM and coaches in the tough spot of having to be purposely vague about his injury and rehab, simply stating that "he's not ready yet," or that there have been some setbacks, etc. as we got into Week 10, Week 12, etc.
Essentially, Becton wasn't managing himself well enough to return to the field in a reasonable amount of time.  His priorities weren't on football or getting back to the team that needed him.  To me, that doesn't mean he's a bad person, it just means he's not a responsible professional who a team can rely on.  And so here we are.... After being drafted at #11 overall and playing pretty well last year as a rookie he has lost the confidence of his coaches and they've said his starting spot isn't safe even if he's 100% healthy.  That's not a comment you make about a very talented player who you're expecting to only improve after a solid rookie year at LT.  That's the comment you make when you don't trust someone anymore.
I could care less about streaming video games, but it does reveal something about his priorities and whether the coaches saying his job is up for grabs bothers him at all.  He's a professional athlete who is trying to recover from an injury and now rehab his reputation a bit as well, all while being a new father.  If the thing at the top of his mind is finding out which video games people think he should play then so be it.  The games I wanted to see him play were in December.

I know someone here knows how to make the cool applause gif I intend as a response to your post, but as another poster pointed out I’m not even cool enough to figure out how to remove my signature from IPhone. So I’ll just use my words to say bravo, good sir. No other way to put it but the way you did.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app
  • Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Snell41 said:

I know someone here knows how to make the cool applause gif I intend as a response to your post, but as another poster pointed out I’m not even cool enough to figure out how to remove my signature from IPhone. So I’ll just use my words to say bravo, good sir. No other way to put it but the way you did.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

Appreciate that.

18 hours ago, Alka said:

You got me there.  What I am is a 62 year old guy who has worked his butt off over the last 40 years, trying to make a better life for myself and my family, and hopefully gaining some wisdom along the way.   My advice is based upon my life experiences, and hopefully there are people who are decades younger than I am who can learn something from me.  For myself, I have never stopped learning, and I will never be too old to admit that I can learn something from anyone, being they old or young. 

And, "get off my lawn!"

18 minutes ago, MichaelScott said:

He was a high draft pick expected to be a key component of this offense. He hasn't lived up to that which creates disappointment. That disappointment turns to "hatred" (your words) when compounded by the fact that he is a professional athlete making millions and doesn't have the discipline or desire to take care of his body. 

I don't think that anyone "hates" the man - I don't, anyway. But I think the criticism he is getting for his actions (or lack of action) is WELL earned. 

The fact that there was a guy on the board that is doing very well in the league exacerbates the issue, as well. Disappointing debut pick from a guy who billed himself as an o-line guy. 

• Upvote 4

2 hours ago, Matt39 said:

At this point it’s piling on, but I don’t think he’s long for the NFL unfortunately. The complaining should be aimed at Douglas for drafting him in the first place.

LOL, just because you COULD make the argument that JD SHOULD have seen Becton's laziness coming doesn't absolve Becton of his OWN laziness. 

2 hours ago, MichaelScott said:

He was a high draft pick expected to be a key component of this offense. He hasn't lived up to that which creates disappointment. That disappointment turns to "hatred" (your words) when compounded by the fact that he is a professional athlete making millions and doesn't have the discipline or desire to take care of his body. 

I don't think that anyone "hates" the man - I don't, anyway. But I think the criticism he is getting for his actions (or lack of action) is WELL earned. 

We're all here because we care way to much about this stupid concussion hobby.  It's a silly virtue signal to tell people not to care, nor express it, when something is bad/disappointing.

In Becton's case, his own coach has come as close as I can remember to questioning his own players work ethic.

People are disappointed, frustrated, angry about that.

• Upvote 1

21 hours ago, Larz said:

Becton deserves criticism for losing the confidence of his head coach. He deserves criticism for gaining weight during his injury rehab 

but.  lol

the idea that he is some  425 lb Jabba the hut  is simply not true. 

The dude is a large human and probably couldn't even work out properly with a knee injury. Kinda makes sense he put on weight but I'm not doctor. 

22 hours ago, docdhc said:

I'm 64 and agree with you.  I just wouldn't expect Becton to have that perspective or wisdom.  You know, youth is wasted on the young.

I said that to my wife's younger cousin (in his 20s) and he snapped back that that wisdom is wasted on old farts. He had me there, so even though we were in a restaurant I told him to get off my lawn & promptly called the cops on him to gift him the wisdom of keeping his punk mouth shut, the f***ing smartass. 

OK I didn't really, but I wanted to and probably should have lol. 

edit: I see @Jethead beat me to adding part of my reply. Still an apt line to use. Even in an elevator.

• Haha 1

On 2/7/2022 at 8:03 PM, the Claw said:

I can’t imagine sitting and watching some dude play video games, but it’s hugely popular and I imagine I’d somehow get sucked into it if I was in my teens or early twenties. These times is crazy.

It's a huge specator sport/industry.  Dudes sitting around watching other dude play video games.

These kids make millions.  

20 hours ago, MichaelScott said:

Happy to see a lot of the Twitter comments calling him out. Waiting for some kind of cryptic, cry baby "haters" tweet from him. 

@BigTicket73

Thanks! I’ll make sure you never get in

Henry @HenrHamnswiss

Replying to @BigTicket73

I’m just glad I didn’t buy your jersey. Your gonna make a great bouncer in two years.

@BigTicket73

Now im mid ok bro well it’s a thing called “free time” I apologize that you set yourself up to not have any my guy

Henry @HenrHamnswiss

Replying to @NYJToday and @BigTicket73

Lmao I’m not live 24/7 that’s for sure. N if I was a mid nfl tackle about to lose my job then yea I’d be working out pretty heavy.

• Haha 2