Two Round Mock -- Jordan Reid at ESPN

UntouchableCrew

18 minutes ago, extmenace said:

https://www.espn.com/nfl/draft2022/insider/story/_/id/33227214/nfl-mock-draft-2022-jordan-reid-new-two-round-predictions-top-64-picks-featuring-six-quarterbacks-senior-bowl-risers

#4 OT NC state - Ikem Ekwonu

#10 WR OSU - Garett Wilson

#35 Edge Cincinnati - Myjai Sanders

#38 TE Colorado State - Trey Mcbride

thoughts?

Like this a lot, it hits major positions of need with quality prospects.

I'd probably have preferred Cam Thomas over Sanders at edge, but that's a small quibble.

Overall, a great draft for the Jets.

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, extmenace said:

https://www.espn.com/nfl/draft2022/insider/story/_/id/33227214/nfl-mock-draft-2022-jordan-reid-new-two-round-predictions-top-64-picks-featuring-six-quarterbacks-senior-bowl-risers

thoughts?

Sign me up.  Now

Fantastic draft.  The changes I would make:

1. At #10 we can probably get any WR we want.  If that's Garrett Wilson, cool.  I think Burks would be even cooler, and if we went with Drake, I could totally understand it.  Jameson Williams is probably the best fit. 

2. I would nab McBride at #35

3. At #38 Myjai is cool, but I'm coming to like Boye Mafe a little more for his upside. 

They are pretty much in the money with positions. Just a matter of who they like the best. Ruckert or some other WR etc. last year we traded up and lost some picks. That could happen again if JD wants to hit another HR. 

41 minutes ago, Larz said:

#4 has to be an immediate improvement to the roster.  

otherwisr I like it

Well not just an immediate improvement, but a major immediate improvement above merely adding an $8-12MM veteran FA to stick at RG and using the #4 pick in another area.

IMO when a team's got a starting LT leave it alone until he sucks (or is no longer really good, is on his way to sucking pretty soon, and/or is far too expensive for what he brings). Leave Fant at LT. If he starts to regress, put Becton at LT.

Until the point where Becton is traded or misses all or most of another season, and Fant starts playing like he did in 2020, Douglas shouldn't worry about drafting a LT prospect prior to round 4 until at least the 2024 draft.

The only thing sillier than drafting a low value position that early is drafting a high value position that's already been filled twice, with a starter (Fant) and starter-quality depth (Becton). If Fant was 2-3 years older with 1 year left on his deal, or Becton missed most/all of 2 seasons, then I could understand it.

If Ekwonu is such a slam dunk, must-draft LT prospect, to the point where a team with 2 legit starting LTs shouldn't pass on him, then surely someone else would be happy to pay the price to move up to #4 to leapfrog the Giants to get him (or the Giants move up to stop that from happening). Carolina needs a tackle upgrade, and so does Atlanta, who should be realizing that McGary was a mistake, and Matthews will need another extension soon). It's said so often that apparently all we need to do is cite the phrase "bookend tackles" to their GMs and he magically becomes worth trading up to get. 

Anyway, he's worth less to the Jets than to plenty of other teams. After earning a second consecutive top-4 pick, and their 3rd in 4 seasons, the Jets should be filling holes at #4, not rationalizing the draft grade of players they don't need. 

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

So much depends on who goes 1,2,3. I think JD would prefer a top edge at 4, but if they're gone, he'll switch to OL. If we miss out on a top edge rusher at 4, I wouldn't be mad if JD traded down a bit from 4 before taking another lineman. Trade down to 6 or 7 and pick up another 2nd round pick.

• Upvote 3

28 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Well not just an immediate improvement, but a major immediate improvement above merely adding an $8-12MM veteran FA to stick at RG and using the #4 pick in another area.

IMO when a team's got a starting LT leave it alone until he sucks (or is no longer really good, is on his way to sucking pretty soon, and/or is far too expensive for what he brings). Leave Fant at LT. If he starts to regress, put Becton at LT.

Until the point where Becton is traded or misses all or most of another season, and Fant starts playing like he did in 2020, Douglas shouldn't worry about drafting a LT prospect prior to round 4 until at least the 2024 draft.

The only thing sillier than drafting a low value position that early is drafting a high value position that's already been filled twice, with a starter (Fant) and starter-quality depth (Becton). If Fant was 2-3 years older with 1 year left on his deal, or Becton missed most/all of 2 seasons, then I could understand it.

If Ekwonu is such a slam dunk, must-draft LT prospect, to the point where a team with 2 legit starting LTs shouldn't pass on him, then surely someone else would be happy to pay the price to move up to #4 to leapfrog the Giants to get him (or the Giants move up to stop that from happening). Carolina needs a tackle upgrade, and so does Atlanta, who should be realizing that McGary was a mistake, and Matthews will need another extension soon). It's said so often that apparently all we need to do is cite the phrase "bookend tackles" to their GMs and he magically becomes worth trading up to get. 

Anyway, he's worth less to the Jets than to plenty of other teams. After earning a second consecutive top-4 pick, and their 3rd in 4 seasons, the Jets should be filling holes at #4, not rationalizing the draft grade of players they don't need. 

Well clearly that all was implied in my post 

🤪

31 minutes ago, Butterfield said:

This would be great if the idea is to trade Becton.  Otherwise, not sure there is a need to draft offensive line at 4.  

Makes literally no sense especially since they’re talking about extending Fant as well

1 hour ago, Sperm Edwards said:

That'd be terrific if we didn't already have two left tackles

Two???

Oh, wait a minute, you are probably still considering Becton a left tackle. Guy has to be able to get on the field to be a left tackle.

1 hour ago, extmenace said:

thoughts?

Just one change...

#10 cb- Sauce

1 hour ago, Hex said:

That's a pretty good draft. Do you think we will be able to get Ekwonu though? Feel like all of the 3 teams before us have needs at OL

Neal will go before Ekwonu, and even if both Neal and Ekwonu do go, and we do go OL, Charles Cross is a pretty damn good consolation prize.

57 minutes ago, Greenseed4 said:

Fantastic draft.  The changes I would make:

1. At #10 we can probably get any WR we want.  If that's Garrett Wilson, cool.  I think Burks would be even cooler, and if we went with Drake, I could totally understand it.  Jameson Williams is probably the best fit. 

2. I would nab McBride at #35

3. At #38 Myjai is cool, but I'm coming to like Boye Mafe a little more for his upside. 

Are these actual people?

If this happens, I’ll be mostly happy. Not exactly what i would do (ie OL at #4) but you wont catch me complaining much.

Garrett Wilson is a beast and will allow Moore to play out of the slot. Throw in McBride and we’re cooking. 

If Jameson Williams goes to the Chiefs that would be gross neglect by the 29 teams drafting in front of them.   If you can get past his presser, he's exactly the type of talent we need on the outside to make our TEs and run game even better.  Plus, his stats are stupid good. 

This is coming from a Burks table-pounder. 

1 hour ago, extmenace said:

thoughts?

Looks good to me (though I have no idea who this Myjai guy is).

2 minutes ago, hmhertz said:

I like Ruckert over McBride he provides a bigger target, has cleaner hands

and a better frame for adding muscle for heavy duty blocking. Trading

Becton is a steal of dumping Adams & acquiring Alaska proportions

Getting Ready So Good GIF by NETFLIX

if they extend Fant and have faith in Becton do you really need another OL at #4?  i would say no but then who do you take, in this draft they might be the BAP.

if they don't trust Becton def have to go OL

If it goes this way: Ekwonu/Wilson with the first two picks then only thing I'd be concerned about is not getting a really good Edge rusher.  While I love the idea and value of an OT at #4, it leaves us missing on either WR or DE where we really need to hit.

So I wonder if there's another move to make if someone like Johnson or Ojabo (or maybe Walker) starts to drop into the mid-20s.  

TEN has no second round pick and is sitting at #26.  Might be interesting to have a swap in place - something like #35 + #69 for #26 + 122.  Slightly favors them in value but gets us up to snag that DE who drops but won't make it to round 2.  Gets them a third pick in the top-90.  

44 minutes ago, viffer said:

Two???

Oh, wait a minute, you are probably still considering Becton a left tackle. Guy has to be able to get on the field to be a left tackle.

Yes, Becton is a left tackle. He's also starting this year until the team decides otherwise. The only question the team seems to have, at least publicly at this juncture, is which one will be LT and which at RT.

They're not keeping Becton and benching him, so unless he's moved before the draft he's one of the team's two starting tackles.

Never mind you don't burn the #4 pick because you're a little uncertain on a high-ceiling, proven starter. You sign a good backup, even if you're paying a bit more than you like for a backup in year 1, and keep your #4 pick to not just fill an actual hole on the team, but fill it with a high-talent prospect.

I would prefer Burks over Wilson 

I would prefer Cam Thomas over Sanders

I would prefer Christian Harris over McBride for #38 and I’d rather go with one of the TEs in the third round - either Ruckert, Ferguson, Dulcich

1 hour ago, jbt said:

if they extend Fant and have faith in Becton do you really need another OL at #4?  i would say no but then who do you take, in this draft they might be the BAP.

if they don't trust Becton def have to go OL

Do they, though?

I get that this isn't the most top-heavy draft, but a team with a solid pass-blocking LT (who has the size to still improve as a run blocker, too) doesn't "have to go OL" with the 4th pick in the country. That's still over-drafting as much as using #4 for a guard or #10 for a center. 

I'd trade down pretty much every opportunity before filling a non-LT OL need at #4 overall. Grab a RT much later in the round than #4 after trading down, or after round 1 outright. Or just sign a FA where you know for sure what you're getting.

3 hours ago, Barry McCockinner said:

I think Ekwonu is projected to play G or T so he could play RG immediately improving that position and give us flexibility/depth at tackle. JD does seem to like those versatile o-linemen so seems to fit.

I'm not really excited a bout taking a T in the first round for reasons already mentioned, but if he can be a plus RG that would be a big deal. Taking a  G at #4 seems kind of cray but he's more than a G.

I think this is right. Sperm probably will go crazy because of the positional value, but I think they'd take him to compete at tackle, likely slot him in at RG to start, and he's now long-term tackle insurance in case Becton eats himself out of a job.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.