Rumor: Braxton Berrios looking for $9m year

Rhg1084

2 minutes ago, jamesr said:

I'm amazed that the previous 110 posts failed to bring in this now classic line!

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Nicely done!

Btw, for all the crap we gave that poster, how funny would it be if Berrios was on another team next year?!

• Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1

Nicely done!
Btw, for all the crap we gave that poster, how funny would it be if Berrios was on another team next year?!
If he gets 9m anywhere (or reasonably close to it) then it justifies all the pro Berrios sentiment in that thread.

The OP basically started out saying he was a talentless JAG that was taking a roster spot from someone more deserving. To now be arguing about whether he's worth 7m / 8m / 9m per year pretty much proves how wrong that premise was.

• Upvote 1

Just now, jamesr said:

If he gets 9m anywhere (or reasonably close to it) then it justifies all the pro Berrios sentiment in that thread.

The OP basically started out saying he was a talentless JAG that was taking a roster spot from someone more deserving. To now be arguing about whether he's worth 7m / 8m / 9m per year pretty much proves how wrong that premise was.

Heh, yeah I know what you're saying (and agree).  I just think there would be some nice irony there.

He's worth every single penny of it.
Jets fans and their issues w/ paying players is so, just, wtf?  Such a weird phenomenon with this fanbase.  I dont know a single player in the history of this franchise, that Jets fans were happy to sign/give money to.  Legit.  I'm being dead serious.  I've never seen a contract given to a player who deserves it, celebrated.  I understand we've handed out some next level dumb sh*t but still, it's bizarre.
Anywho, Berrios is arguably a better slot WR than Jamison Crowder at this point in their careers.  When you consider what else he does for this team ie; returns, gadget plays, end arounds, leadership, work ethic, passion, etc.  He's worth every ******* penny.  It establishes culture.  Reward those who deserve it and Berrios, deserves it.  He's best friends with your franchise QB,  Zach loves throwing to him.  Dont **** this up and let him walk over a few millions.  That would be flat out stupid.
Berrios is a priority signing for this team.

I couldn’t have articulated this any better. People here seem to hate paying our own players…then complain that there is no talent on this team. No one of value works for free. Who exactly are we saving our money up for???? Sign Berrios now that we have the cap room. Crowder is coming off the books anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app
  • Upvote 4

24 minutes ago, NIGHT STALKER said:

I understand what you're saying...but, he made the pro bowl as a returner.  Unlike most positions where the Jets have bottomed out, we've had success with kick returners through the years.  I think Leon Washington made the PB a couple of times if I'm not mistaken.  Not only that, kick returners don't last very long in the NFL  

if he's here 2-3 more years, he should be able to keep doing what he's doing.  he's a reliable wr, good on reverses and gets the team good field position.  not saying he's worth 9M but he helps wilson.  

8 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Berrios is a role player - you don't pay role players $9mm a year.

Berrios is whatever you want Berrios to be. He's a damn good football player and there's more to football than some on this message board think. Remember in 09-10 when the Jets thought it was a good idea to get rid of role playing TE blockers that were key to our running game ? Remember what happened to our running game ? Just askin

• Upvote 2

19 minutes ago, kevinc855 said:

Why is that anytime a Jets player develops into, you know a good player, every Jet fan then goes great! But I never pay him that!

How long is this team going to explore FA with little Stop gaps here and there.

Eventually You going to have to pay some folks if you wana even start talking playoffs.

You guys know this isn’t your wallets right? 
Holy moly 

Because you're paying him to be the 4th WR on the roster - you don't pay a 4th WR $9mm a year.  

Now, if you're going to make the claim that he's going to start in the slot and be your guy there....That's a very different question - then we should discuss if he's that level of talent. 

But $9mm is on the high end of slot receivers.   So if you think he's a high end staring slot receiver then pay him to be that...

but if you think he's a 4th WR that returns kicks - then pay him what that's worth. 

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, jamesr said:

I dont believe anyone in that thread made any credible acknowledgement that he was anything more than a #3/4 guy with special team contributions who they would like to be retained.

I love the player that Berrios is, and I would love to see him as a Jet for a long time. 

For $9 Million, id gladly offer to help him pack.

Edit: I can see a base contract for about 4 or 5 million with escalators.  

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, Smashmouth said:

Berrios is whatever you want Berrios to be. He's a damn good football player and there's more to football than some on this message board think. Remember in 09-10 when the Jets thought it was a good idea to get rid of role playing TE blockers that were key to our running game ? Remember what happened to our running game ? Just askin

What does that mean?  I want him to be 6'5"..he's not.   I want him to be a more powerful runner, he's not.  I want him to be 215 - he's not.

Berrios is what he is.  A small, quick return man that can be an offensive role player.  I like the guy, I really do and would love to keep him.

But this is about paying a player for what he does.  

3 hours ago, Morrissey said:

Berrios played well in a few games this year, Cole produced far more than Berrios has over his career and frankly couldn't hold Beasley jock productive wise.

You mean other than he wasn’t more productive and has the drops?  Or that the Jets won’t resign him

3 hours ago, JiFapono said:

Jets fans and their issues w/ paying players is so, just, wtf?  Such a weird phenomenon with this fanbase.  I dont know a single player in the history of this franchise, that Jets fans were happy to sign/give money to.  Legit.  I'm being dead serious.  I've never seen a contract given to a player who deserves it, celebrated.  I understand we've handed out some next level dumb sh*t but still, it's bizarre.

I remember being really happy when the Jets finally decided to extend Wilkerson....

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, munchmemory said:

Paying Berrios looks like a classic NY Jets scenario:  We give him a big deal and the guy disappears.   Book it.

Which is why we should never pay our own FA players and just let them all walk.  Because as proven every player who is resigns fades.

Who wants good players that are worth paying?  We should go back to sucking and having no one worth resigning to a second deal.

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, munchmemory said:

Paying Berrios looks like a classic NY Jets scenario:  We give him a big deal and the guy disappears.   Book it.

Honestly I feel like that’s the least likely thing to happen. Yet, yes, seems everyone else we signed have done that but I honestly don’t see that in his case. Who knows though? 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

5 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

I don't think anyone is suggesting extending Wilson right now.

Nice dodge.

Just like we are paying Wilson, almost entirely, for the hope of what he could be, maybe paying Berrios for the hope of what he could be isn't the big deal you might think it is.  Especially given the cap space we have available.  And especially since he seems to be Wilson's best bosom buddy.

You don't want to take away Wilson's friend, do you?  

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, Biggs said:

It's always a tough call.  Do you over pay for a player on the rise who is getting more productive or do you pay more for someone else's player who is no longer ascending and looking for a payday. 

Berios may not have a high cieling but you can stand up in the room without fear that the ceiling is going to fall on your head.

I see Berios as a guy who's just getting started and is only limited by the creativity of the offense.   He shouldn't be looked at as a 1 or a 2.  He should be looked at as a multi-demensional weapon who has speed, quickness and toughness.   

I would bet money if we don't sign him he goes to NE and has a very good career.  

I very much started as a Berrios-is-a-JAG critic.  I'm far closer to this mindset today.

If we had a WR room full of studs, maybe I'd think differently.  

But we have a horrible WR room, with basically one talent worth thinking about (Moore) and one who still could be ok (Davis).

That's it.  We need WR in multiples, and they're not all going to be Devonte Adams or Allen Robinson (lol, we're not getting those guys ffs).

Having one of the better return men who is also a flexible WR/Trick Play guy, for a decent price, fills two holes with one guy and leaves up plenty of money to spend elsewhere.  

• Upvote 4

whats funny is that Jets fans dont want to pay Berrios and when the team fail to replace him(its very hard finding good receivers in free agency) those same fans will complain why the Jets didnt sign Berrios and have Woody pocket the money 

its a joke

there isnt one wide receiver in the entire league better then Berrios who will sign with the Jets unless they over over over pay and we all know how that kind of thing usually end up for us 

• Upvote 2

Just now, Warfish said:

Nice dodge.

Just like we are paying Wilson, almost entirely, for the hope of what he could be, maybe paying Berrios for the hope of what he could be isn't the big deal you might think it is.  Especially given the cap space we have available.  And especially since he seems to be Wilson's best bosom buddy.

You don't want to take away Wilson's friend, do you?  

First, Berrios is a 4th year player.  Not a rookie.  You know what he is.

Second, he's not a QB. I think you know there's a difference between those positions

Third.  I do like him and would love to keep Berrios but believe you should pay a player for what he is.

If, the Jets are going to use him as their starting slot receiver/#3 WR - and they believe that's who he is - then he's worth paying him $9mm.  That's JD's call.  Believe he's that - then pay him.

But, I don't think that's what the plan is.  I believe the plan is for him to be a kick returner -  #4 or #5 WR, back up slot receiver and role player.  If that's what they're going to use him as - then they shouldn't pay him as a starter.

That's the point.  

1 hour ago, kevinc855 said:

Why is that anytime a Jets player develops into, you know a good player, every Jet fan then goes great! But I never pay him that!

How long is this team going to explore FA with little Stop gaps here and there.

Eventually You going to have to pay some folks if you wana even start talking playoffs.

You guys know this isn’t your wallets right? 
Holy moly 

Were you happy we handed mo wilk a gazillion dollars?  The bad version of Revis?  Trumaine johnson?  Enunwa?  Should we have made Jamal the highest paid safety in the league?

You decide how much a guy is worth and get your price point, you negotiate and you have a disciplined plan.

Contracts are not in a Tupperware sealed vacuum they affect who else you are going to pay and what you are going to pay for other player.

We like the guy, we want the guy and he is using his leverage to max his pay day.  All fine but these open ended statements by people are just as silly as those questioning his value.

I'll ask you the same thing I did jif.  why not 10, 11 or 12 million?    What is your price point or is it give him anything he wants as it seems?

• Upvote 2
  • WTF? 1
  • Post of the Week 1

4 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Were you happy we handed mo wilk a gazillion dollars?  The bad version of Revis?  Trumaine johnson?  Enunwa?  Should we have made Jamal the highest paid safety in the league?

You decide how much a guy is worth and get your price point, you negotiate and you have a disciplined plan.

Contracts are not in a Tupperware sealed vacuum they affect who else you are going to pay and what you are going to pay for other player.

We like the guy, we want the guy and he is using his leverage to max his pay day.  All fine but these open ended statements by people are just as silly as those questioning his value.

I'll ask you the same thing I did jif.  why not 10, 11 or 12 million?    What is your price point or is it give him anything he wants as it seems?

Whats the alternative? Let every talented player walk and hope to replace him with someone no other team wants to sign? 

We let robby walk and replace him with Perriman. Yea ok, pat yourself on the back for not what you feel may of been "slightly" overpaying. But you still have a weak roster. You cant win that way 

No one said pay Berrios 12 million, but if the market says hes worth something you might have to pay that to retain talent. 

You cant stay in perpetual flux forever. 

• Upvote 1