Rumor: Braxton Berrios looking for $9m year

Rhg1084

3 hours ago, Morrissey said:

did Beasley get that contract after those 3 years of production? ... or did he continue his development and proved it with bigger production? and only then did he earn that contract.

What does when he got paid if he got paid for similar production?

And who actually believes that FAs are paid by what theyre worth?  Theyre paid by when they reach FA, who else is available.  Its not a ranking system, that not how it works

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, IndianaJet said:

"An agent at the Senior Bowl speculated"

In other words, this isn't even a rumor.

It's just some other agent throwing a number out there.

I figured $7-$8 would be the number before free agency.  If hes asking for $9, not far off.  if its just the opening salvo, better

• Upvote 4

4 hours ago, JiFapono said:

He's worth every single penny of it.

Jets fans and their issues w/ paying players is so, just, wtf?  Such a weird phenomenon with this fanbase.  I dont know a single player in the history of this franchise, that Jets fans were happy to sign/give money to.  Legit.  I'm being dead serious.  I've never seen a contract given to a player who deserves it, celebrated.  I understand we've handed out some next level dumb sh*t but still, it's bizarre.

Anywho, Berrios is arguably a better slot WR than Jamison Crowder at this point in their careers.  When you consider what else he does for this team ie; returns, gadget plays, end arounds, leadership, work ethic, passion, etc.  He's worth every ******* penny.  It establishes culture.  Reward those who deserve it and Berrios, deserves it.  He's best friends with your franchise QB,  Zach loves throwing to him.  Dont **** this up and let him walk over a few millions.  That would be flat out stupid.

Berrios is a priority signing for this team.

Resigning Berrios at 9M per means committing to a top-3 receiver group of him, Moore and Davis. That's nowhere near good enough

• Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, JiFapono said:

No, it doesnt, at all but whatever, 

I don’t see how that’s the case at all. There’s nothing preventing the Jets from drafting additional guys. Moore also spent half the season in the trainers room it felt like. And Davis got hurt too.

Remember when the incumbent starting QB coming off a 10 win season, almost making the playoffs and setting some jets passing records asked for 10 million dollars and half the forum were screeching like barn owls that he was greedy and don't pay him and we are being held hostage!

Now it is, give a 4th string wr and kick return guy 9 million! Don;t ask any questions, get er done!

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, Beerfish said:

Remember when the incumbent starting QB coming off a 10 win season, almost making the playoffs and setting some jets passing records asked for 10 million dollars and half the forum were screeching like barn owls that he was greedy and don't pay him and we are being held hostage!

Now it is, give a 4th string wr and kick return guy 9 million! Don;t ask any questions, get er done!

The Jets should have resigned Fitz before all of that nonsense went down. 

• Upvote 2
  • WTF? 1
  • Sympathy 1

23 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

I guess that's one way to look at. Another way is that you won't have Cole or Crowder on the team, and if Joe takes Wilson or Drake at 10, half of your top 4 WR will be on a rookie contract. Plus Braxton has good hands, and according to PFF, Zach had the percentage of drop balls last year for QBs. Maybe retaining a WR that can, in fact, catch the ball should be a priority.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Claymation said:

I guess that's one way to look at. Another way is that you won't have Cole or Crowder on the team, and if Joe takes Wilson or Drake at 10, half of your top 4 WR will be on a rookie contract. Plus Braxton has good hands, and according to PFF, Zach had the percentage of drop balls last year for QBs. Maybe retaining a WR that can, in fact, catch the ball should be a priority.

I like him and want to retain him, he has earned a pay day.  But there is always a price point for players.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Claymation said:

Is it just me or would anyone else not mind having Cole back and a very very reasonable contract? 

I'd love to have 3 brand spanking new WRs but I didn't hate Cole.  

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Peace Frog said:

Is it just me or would anyone else not mind having Cole back and a very very reasonable contract? 

I'd love to have 3 brand spanking new WRs but I didn't hate Cole.  

Receiver and running back are positions to bring in as many guys as possible. You can resign Berrrios and still bring back Cole and draft 2 more. The Jets have struggled with injuries as well.

• Upvote 1

55 minutes ago, Warfish said:

When you find a better WR that Wilson likes more, and you want to pay that guy, let me know.

Till then, I'll support Wilson by supporting paying one of his favorite friends and WR's on the team.

It's not like it's my money.  

If we were a team constantly spending right up to the cap, I might understand your cheapskate attitude here.  But we're not, which just makes it...odd.  Especially given how much Wilson reportedly likes Berrios.

I guess you support Wilson right up until it costs the Johnson's some money, lol.

He's 5'8" - If that's Wilson's best guy then Wilson needs to get better.

With that said, I do agree - if he's coming in as the #3 then pay him.  I am basing my thoughts on the fact that I firmly believe the Jets will either draft a WR in the top 10 and/or sign a $15+mm WR in FA - likely be both - plus a big time TE.

I think Berrios is a nice story and all - BB cast off, little guy, done good.  It's nice but not $9mm nice. 

• Upvote 2

59 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Nope.  Plenty of cap space to draft a WR at #10, which is (I hope) exactly what we're going to do.

Drafty/Davis outside.  Moore/Berrios inside and trick plays.

When you're as horrible at Offense and QB'ing as we've been, with the history of WR failures we've had the past 10 years, maybe a little overkill might be ok for once.

This is very true. Moore and a drafted rookie would be cheap for several years, so the Jets can afford to re-sign Berrios and still draft a WR high.

Plus Davis is very easy to cut after this year, if he doesn't prove worth his contract this season.

• Upvote 2

43 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

You are not helping your case.  Remember when a career veteran back up was pressed into service by an injury and had a career year and then crapped the bed in the last game with a shot at the playoffs?  And then, based on that career year, asked for a contract as if he were a perennial starting QB?  And then after getting a contract proceeded to regress back to his crappy self like he did everywhere else he played previously and since?  Thankfully, the Jets didn't overpay that guy.  I hope we never fall for that one-year wonder stuff again.  Fitz was a mirage in 2015. Why Jets fans insist on glorifying this guy and that one season (made possible by Marshall and Decker) is beyond me.  

I'm all for paying Berrios somewhere in the range of what he is asking to  keep him, but not because he reminds me in any way whatsoever about that bearded loser of  a QB.  

I heard Berrios interviewed a few weeks ago and he did not sound like a dude who was in any rush to sign a contract with the Jets. His value will never be higher and this is his one chance to pick where he plays. The $9 milly number is what the Jets would have to cough up to keep him here, otherwise he’ll happily take his talents to South Beach. 

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

You are not helping your case.  Remember when a career veteran back up was pressed into service by an injury and had a career year and then crapped the bed in the last game with a shot at the playoffs?  And then, based on that career year, asked for a contract as if he were a perennial starting QB?  And then after getting a contract proceeded to regress back to his crappy self like he did everywhere else he played previously and since?  Thankfully, the Jets didn't overpay that guy.  I hope we never fall for that one-year wonder stuff again.  Fitz was a mirage in 2015. Why Jets fans insist on glorifying this guy and that one season (made possible by Marshall and Decker) is beyond me.  

I'm all for paying Berrios somewhere in the range of what he is asking to  keep him, but not because he reminds me in any way whatsoever about that bearded loser of  a QB.  

You just proved my point, you are the definition of the guy I talked about.

Despite 10 wins

Despite 1 game from playoffs

Despite jets passing records

Despite being 5-1 in his last 6 games, 15 tds, 3 ints,  key win over the pats in week 15

You don't like the guy you are critical of him getting lower end starters pay.

You like Berrios, you want to hand him 9 million no questions.

You assumed Fitz was dog crap over one game, you now assume Berrios is great value

All this flipping of wigs!  It's about setting up the contract to give the base rate the team and org needs and tossing in performance bonuses that the player can make, help the team, and I'm not sure how they effect the cap.  3 year at $6M per guaranteed - so $18M and 4th or 5th year options at $10M and $12M per.  His AAV is way up, the base contract is fine, and he can make bank if he plays well, plus we can control the contract if he ends up becoming Randy Moss Jr. for the 4th and 5th years.  So ESPN leads with Berrios get 5 YEAR $50 MILLION DEAL but really if he sucks it 3 for $18.

3 hours ago, kevinc855 said:

Eventually You going to have to pay some folks if you wana even start talking playoffs.

I don't want to start talking playoffs I like it here in the AFC basement ... it's damp ... it's dark....it's comfortable and we finally got the Bills to move out ... we have so much room for activities. 

Episode 19 GIF by BET Plus

1 hour ago, FidelioJet said:

First, Berrios is a 4th year player.  Not a rookie.  You know what he is.

Second, he's not a QB. I think you know there's a difference between those positions

Third.  I do like him and would love to keep Berrios but believe you should pay a player for what he is.

If, the Jets are going to use him as their starting slot receiver/#3 WR - and they believe that's who he is - then he's worth paying him $9mm.  That's JD's call.  Believe he's that - then pay him.

But, I don't think that's what the plan is.  I believe the plan is for him to be a kick returner -  #4 or #5 WR, back up slot receiver and role player.  If that's what they're going to use him as - then they shouldn't pay him as a starter.

That's the point.  

Edelman had 235 yards recieving in his 4th year.   By the end of his 4th year he had showed nothing to indicate he was going to be a solid WR going forward.   He did have a breakout playoff performance in his 4th year.  Of course Berios wasn't on a playoff team in his 4th year.  

38 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I heard Berrios interviewed a few weeks ago and he did not sound like a dude who was in any rush to sign a contract with the Jets. His value will never be higher and this is his one chance to pick where he plays. The $9 milly number is what the Jets would have to cough up to keep him here, otherwise he’ll happily take his talents to South Beach. 

Has he scrubbed the Jets from his social media accounts?  

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Matt39 said:

I don’t see how that’s the case at all. There’s nothing preventing the Jets from drafting additional guys. Moore also spent half the season in the trainers room it felt like. And Davis got hurt too.

Exactly.  And as I said in an earlier post, the Jags signed Agnew to 7mil a year, I think Roberts got something similar as well and those dudes truly only return kicks and are emergency WR's.  I think people are underselling how good Berrios was this year.  He made a bunch of clutch 3rd/4th down receptions, and he was one of the more productive players in the league when you look at snaps to output.  The kid averaged a TD every 13th touch on offense, 2nd on the team in TD's, on 390 snaps.  That is mega efficient.  Do people honestly think he wouldnt do more with more volume? 

• Upvote 1

59 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

You just proved my point, you are the definition of the guy I talked about.

Despite 10 wins

Despite 1 game from playoffs

Despite jets passing records

Despite being 5-1 in his last 6 games, 15 tds, 3 ints,  key win over the pats in week 15

You don't like the guy you are critical of him getting lower end starters pay.

You like Berrios, you want to hand him 9 million no questions.

You assumed Fitz was dog crap over one game, you now assume Berrios is great value

I base my opinion on Fitztragic on an entire career.  I think history clearly demonstrates that Fitz was, is and always will be dog crap - other than a few partial seasons here and there. How can anyone argue differently?  Unless the entire NFL was/is wrong about the guy. It's what - 16 years and 9-10 teams of the same cycle.  

For the record, I would try to sign Berrrios but I never said hand him $9 million.  But I would definitely give Berrios $9 million before I gave FraudPatrick $15 or $20 million in 2016.  What is the argument here with Fitz?  He stunk in 2016 and proved he didn't deserve the money. When has he EVER proved he deserved any contract he was given?  He has never ever ever won a big game or led his team to the playoffs in his long career.  I just don't understand some Jets fans myopic view of 2015 like it was football heaven.