Rumor: Braxton Berrios looking for $9m year

Rhg1084

6 minutes ago, JiFapono said:

Exactly.  And as I said in an earlier post, the Jags signed Agnew to 7mil a year, I think Roberts got something similar as well and those dudes truly only return kicks and are emergency WR's.  I think people are underselling how good Berrios was this year.  He made a bunch of clutch 3rd/4th down receptions, and he was one of the more productive players in the league when you look at snaps to output.  The kid averaged a TD every 13th touch on offense, 2nd on the team in TD's, on 390 snaps.  That is mega efficient.  Do people honestly think he wouldnt do more with more volume? 

This and the fact the Jets receivers were constantly hurt. You want to get rid of the only guy who played every game? Makes no sense. The Jets don’t have anyone upcoming that’s due big money( the one benefit of drafting terribly). There are no salary cap ramifications here. He’s a guy you keep and it’s not even remotely a question. 

• Upvote 1

51 minutes ago, Warfish said:

One day the Geno Fans will realize how wrong they were....one day.

It's not a zero sum game.  Smith stunk and so did Fitz.  You can be a realist and judge Fitz by his extreme lack of talent and still not think Smith was the answer either.  History showed both to be true.  Fitz is the epitome of a journeyman back up who lucks into starting jobs only to make every team he plays for realize he is a mediocre back up at best.  And Smith is a back up as well who has lasted longer than any of us thought he would.  

i say we got to sign him.

with our injury history even as a #4 he going to get alot of playing time. plus Zach loves him.

so what is the alternative? a high price FA. dream on. no WR for whatever money how catches over 100 passes a year will come play with the worst rank QB in the league. until Zach proves otherwise you guys have to stop dreaming of the top WRs.

so then what is a #4 WR worth? 5-6 mil? what do you think your going to get for that? then just resign Cole cause thats what your going to get. 

i seen someone complaining about paying Davis and Berrios 22 mil a year. but this is the position you do pay alot for.

you dont want to do that but you want to pick a OL at 4 and pay him, AVT and Becton 50-60 mil a year? in a few years.  now thats stupid. WR is where you sink big money in, not OL

its the devil you know. we know what Berrios is, and he plays with alot of heart. i say keep him.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, KRL said:

Three years for $18 million ($9 million guaranteed) is fair contract
for both sides.  Berrios is an excellent returner who has developed
a role in this offense (Jet sweeps, 3rd down) as a WR

He will definitely not sign a base $3M per contract.  Gotta guarantee the $18 and have anything above be the bonus fakery for AAV and headlines.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Doggin94it said:

Berrios is a damn good player, and if that's his market value, he should absolutely go get it.

Just not here. He's a core special teamer and excellent No. 4 WR and passable No. 3. That's it. At 9M, you're pricing in the expectation that he becomes Wes Welker-lite. And he hasn't shown the type of skill to support that expectation. No thanks

I completely agree.  $9M per year its what he hopes to become, not what he actually is right now.

As the saying goes, "sell high, buy low".   If we give him $9M per year, we will be buying high.  

At $6M per year, I would make the deal.  I think he would be doing well to get that kind of money for one years work.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

What does when he got paid if he got paid for similar production?

And who actually believes that FAs are paid by what theyre worth?  Theyre paid by when they reach FA, who else is available.  Its not a ranking system, that not how it works

he didn't get paid for similar production that's the point. Beasley had resume, Berrios really doesn't.

8 minutes ago, Alka said:

I completely agree.  $9M per year its what he hopes to become, not what he actually is right now.

As the saying goes, "sell high, buy low".   If we give him $9M per year, we will be buying high.  

At $6M per year, I would make the deal.  I think he would be doing well to get that kind of money for one years work.

Sell high gets thrown out the window when you have a bottom 3 roster. He’s a top 3 kick returner and the only current reliable receiver on the roster. What are we talking about here. He’d have no impact on the Jets cap whatsoever. Ask again, what are we talking about here.

• Upvote 1

57 minutes ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

I'd rather take the chance in this case that the Jets sign Berrios and he slides down the depth chart because of better talent acquired in the future in FA and the draft than let him go and watch him become the next Welker/Edelman in NE or Miami.

Not a bad way to frame this as fan. Youre right, Worse moves have been made than overpaying a #4 WR. I’m sold. Pay the man!

27 minutes ago, Alka said:

and what if we lose him for 9 mil and he plays really well. was it worth it for 3 mil? 

im not sure his replacement for 6 mil will be better than him.

for all that talk about surrounding Zach with weapons were going to take his favorite one away. WR is the position to over pay. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Warfish said:

Nope.  Plenty of cap space to draft a WR at #10, which is (I hope) exactly what we're going to do.

Drafty/Davis outside.  Moore/Berrios inside and trick plays.

When you're as horrible at Offense and QB'ing as we've been, with the history of WR failures we've had the past 10 years, maybe a little overkill might be ok for once.

I don't think this is the year to draft a WR high and I do think this is the year to spend real money at the WR position in FA to give Wilson a high-end No. 1 WR. I'd rather spend 25M per on Davante Adams (yes, he wants 30, no he won't get that, but 25 would be "highest paid in the NFL except for the crazy Hopkins contract, and by more than 10%" so it should be enough), or 17-20 on Godwin, Robinson, etc., and then draft someone to replace Berrios, than pay Berrios at 9M and hope to draft one of the rare true No. 1s.

• Upvote 1

59 minutes ago, doitny said:

i say we got to sign him.

with our injury history even as a #4 he going to get alot of playing time. plus Zach loves him.

so what is the alternative? a high price FA. dream on. no WR for whatever money how catches over 100 passes a year will come play with the worst rank QB in the league. until Zach proves otherwise you guys have to stop dreaming of the top WRs.

so then what is a #4 WR worth? 5-6 mil? what do you think your going to get for that? then just resign Cole cause thats what your going to get. 

i seen someone complaining about paying Davis and Berrios 22 mil a year. but this is the position you do pay alot for.

you dont want to do that but you want to pick a OL at 4 and pay him, AVT and Becton 50-60 mil a year? in a few years.  now thats stupid. WR is where you sink big money in, not OL

its the devil you know. we know what Berrios is, and he plays with alot of heart. i say keep him.

Why do people think like this? Just look back at the biggest FA contract moves in recent times. In 2018, Allen Robinson signed with the Bears to play with <checks notes> Mitch Trubisky. Kenny Golladay signed a big deal last offseason to catch balls from Daniel Jones. Courtland Sutton extended with the Broncos and their disastrous QB room. Etc. etc.

• Upvote 2

The fact that people are this crazy about berrios is kind of baffling to me.  Sure he was a feel good story.  You don’t overpay guys who played well because they were on bad team rittled with injuries. His production is easily replaceable. Just in the draft someone like wandale Robinson is a much better athlete and seems to have a far greater upside as a gadget player. There are other guys who can be had late like Kyle Phillips who seems to be a carbon copy of berrios and will be like 1 mil per year. Berrios isn’t some irreplaceable guy who you overpay. That is exactly what bad teams do. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

2 minutes ago, Doggin94it said:

Why do people think like this? 

Because the Jets already have an awful roster with an awful receiver group that proved they couldn’t stay healthy (or catch for that matter). Berrios does both and he’s one of the best returners in football. There’s no starting tight end on the roster either. There’s zero rationale reason to move on from him. If he gets buried by two rookies into the 5th receiver role- one that’s a good problem and two he’s still your KR/PR foe the best 4 seasons. Win/win.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, JiFapono said:

No, it doesnt, at all but whatever, 

You think they're inclined to: 

1)  Pay Berrios 9M per to be a No. 4 WR? or

2) Cut bait on Davis after 1 year?

I don't see either of those things happening. Either way, if you're signing Berrios at 9M, that's your biggest swing at WR in the FA market - in a year where Robinson, Godwin, and Adams are all available. As are Beckham, Gallup, and Valdes-Scantling if you wanted to go second tier. Not a wise allocation of resources IMO

• Upvote 1

Just now, Matt39 said:

Because the Jets already have an awful roster with an awful receiver group that proved they couldn’t stay healthy (or catch for that matter). Berrios does both and he’s one of the best returners in football. There’s no starting tight end on the roster either. There’s zero rationale reason to move on from him. If he gets buried by two rookies into the 5th receiver role- one that’s a good problem and two he’s still your KR/PR foe the best 4 seasons. Win/win.

Have you considered reading the post you're responding to?

Just now, Doggin94it said:

I asked why people have the "good WR's won't come here to play with Wilson" mindset and you responded with a post about Berrios

Godwin and Adams are not going to shake free. Gallup would be the one guy to go after hard. But you can still sign Berrios and sign Gallup. Depth is good and Berrios returns kicks.

8 hours ago, Matt39 said:

Berrios is a starter though. 

There wasn't anyone else to run out there at the WR position, they were all hurt.

That said, he is the type of guy I want on this team, but not at that salary. He is #2 slot if Crowder is no longer on this team. He is ST, and I'm with Namath on this one, 7 mil should be a good enough salary.

38 minutes ago, BurntDice said:

The fact that people are this crazy about berrios is kind of baffling to me.  Sure he was a feel good story.  You don’t overpay guys who played well because they were on bad team rittled with injuries. His production is easily replaceable. Just in the draft someone like wandale Robinson is a much better athlete and seems to have a far greater upside as a gadget player. There are other guys who can be had late like Kyle Phillips who seems to be a carbon copy of berrios and will be like 1 mil per year. Berrios isn’t some irreplaceable guy who you overpay. That is exactly what bad teams do. 

Berrios;

an ace special teamer.

Never drops the ball.

Has strong chemistry with a young QB.

A regular participant in gadget plays that keep a defense honest.

Lethal in the red zone.

He brings the Parcells fan favorite “mascot” spark-plug element…. something the Jets have lacked since Chrebet and Leon Washington.  Yeah… that long ago.

NO-BRAINER PRIORITY TO RE-SIGN.

• Upvote 3

6 minutes ago, 68JET11 said:

There wasn't anyone else to run out there at the WR position, they were all hurt.

That said, he is the type of guy I want on this team, but not at that salary. He is #2 slot if Crowder is no longer on this team. He is ST, and I'm with Namath on this one, 7 mil should be a good enough salary.

Davis is always hurt. Crowder has always been hurt. Moore looks like he'll be injury prone. You hope these guys stay healthy next year but history says they wont. I'm really having a hard time seeing what the downside is in resigning him.

5 minutes ago, RoadFan said:

Berrios;

an ace special teamer.

They get paid less than 5 mil

Never drops the ball.

Thats nice

Has strong chemistry with a young QB.

Easily replaceable 

A regular participant in gadget plays to spark a sluggish offense.

there’s room for a lot of improvement in those plays. Look up wandale Robinson and tell me he won’t be better at gadget plays. 

He brings the Parcells “mascot” fan favorite element…. something the Jets have lacked since Chrebet and Leon Washington.  Yeah… that long ago.

Yea overpay a guy because the fans like him. Makes sense 

PRIORITY TO RESIGN.

See above 

He has a great relationship and chemistry with our (hopefully ) FQB, he was there for the team when everyone was injured and helped us win games. He loves football and is the exact type of player this CS staff preaches they are trying to build around. He is a tough clutch player. Get it done one way or another, or he burns us when we need a win, as we all know that is exactly what will happen. 

• Upvote 2

19 minutes ago, BurntDice said:

See above 

Chemistry is easily replaceable?  Fields and Allen Robinson would probably disagree.  

Burrow and Chase?  That is irreplaceable.

I want to try it a different way.  Given what Berrios does bring to the table; big returns, 3rd down conversions, gadget plays, never muffing a punt, fielding all of them and not letting them roll, a handful of TDs.  How many wins do you think he adds during a 17 game season?  Can you put a number on it?  

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, RoadFan said:

Chemistry is easily replaceable?  Fields and Allen Robinson would probably disagree.  

Burrow and Chase?  That is irreplaceable.

I want to try it a different way.  Given what Berrios does bring to the table; big returns, 3rd down conversions, gadget plays, never muffing a punt, fielding all of them and not letting them roll, a handful of TDs.  How many wins do you think he adds during a 17 game season?  Can you put a number on it?  

It obviously is. They played together for 1 year. With another training camp with Moore Davis and whoever else do you honestly not think he’ll gain a better connection with those guys? How many wins does a #4 wr add to a team? You serious right now? 

4 minutes ago, BurntDice said:

It obviously is. They played together for 1 year. With another training camp with Moore Davis and whoever else do you honestly not think he’ll gain a better connection with those guys? How many wins does a #4 wr add to a team? You serious right now? 

Moore and Davis didn’t stay healthy.