Jump to content

Rumor: Braxton Berrios looking for $9m year


Rhg1084
 Share

Recommended Posts

48 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

Small slot receivers like Braxton are a dime a dozen.  It’s the most easily replaced position in the WR group.   He’s decent, but his skill set isn’t rare or hard to find.   

His slot receiver production is replaceable for sure. His kickoff and punt returns are what makes him valuable. He evolved from a sure thing fair catch machine to a sure thing catch and run for 10 yards. His kickoff return skills got better as the season progressed. His gadget play ability adds another dimension to his game. He also doesn't drop passes. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, bla bla bla said:

 

He's spot on.

I doubt Berrios would have the kind of production he had if he was on another team.  It was kind of perfect storm for him.  The Jets didn't have the top talents in WR corps to begin with and most of them were injured throughout the season.  Plus no TE's.

If the Jets draft a WR with their 10th pick and a TE with 2nd or 3rd round picks like many posters here hope to, Berrios would be a 4th or 5th option for sure.  $9M is way too much for the such a role even if he is a exceptional returner.  I doubt Joe D would go any more than $7.5M

  • Post of the Week 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Dunnie said:

You guys are silly ...

The comp is cole beasly who is around 7 mill per ... if we can get berrios for 8-9 its totally fair given his special teams contribution.
 

How is his comp Cole Beasley? Beasley has had over 80 catches and almost 1000 yards receiving in each of his last two seasons. Berrios puts up production like that?!!!

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 hours ago, JiFapono said:

This thread is unreal.  What if he was asking for 7$ million?  Worth it?  lmfao. 

so dumb, seriously, 

Serious question; you make good points but the issue is what is your breakpoint?

That is, your arguments are sound...... but say he wants 11 Million, do you give it to him that, or 13 Million????

At some point, an amount for a player and what he brings to the table, absent maybe a QB in unique situations, is too much and it is really up to the GM to determine that point.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, doitny said:

and what if we lose him for 9 mil and he plays really well. was it worth it for 3 mil? 

im not sure his replacement for 6 mil will be better than him.

for all that talk about surrounding Zach with weapons were going to take his favorite one away. WR is the position to over pay. 

What sucks is that you are most likely correct in your analysis.  Sucks to pay $9M if he doesn't live up to it, but well worth the money if he does.  

The problem is, most players never live up the hope of what they can be.  Most players never live up to their potential in free agency.  But, in agreement with you, it is a calculated risk not to sign him, and for that reason, better to sign him for $9M than to lose him, and he plays lights out somewhere else.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, sec101row23 said:

Small slot receivers like Braxton are a dime a dozen.  It’s the most easily replaced position in the WR group.   He’s decent, but his skill set isn’t rare or hard to find.   

Disagree, He ranked 2nd in the NFL in average separation at 4.1 yards, that tells me two things, he is either a good route runner or the OC is scheming to get him open. Both Cole and Davis are at 2.7 yards, Cole has an average cushion of 5.6. Davis 6.8; Braxton had a cushion of 6.6 ysards; Crowder 6.4 cushion, separation at 3.4 yards; and Moore at 5.9 cushion and 3.4 yards of separation. 

Crowder lead the team with catch percentage per target with 71.8 and Braxton at 70.77. Moore was at 55.84, Davis 57.63 and Cole 54.9. 

Braxton makes Zach's job easier, he gets open and catches the ball. I won't break the bank for him, but he compliments Moore and Davis. Add a London Drake or a Garrett Wilson and that is a pretty good WR group.

  • Upvote 2
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

It is supremely Jet-sy to get worked up every year over our players entering FA and worrying if we are going to resign them.  

  • JD/Jets need to self-scout better.   We should have know what Berrios was capable of 5 months ago based on practice, and that was the time to extend him.   Now he reaches the open market, and we worry about whether the Jets are going to win the bidding war.  Practically and psychologically, when that happens the players tend to move on.   Same with Foley.
  • But the Jets have a lot of cap space and  a rookie QB, not TE, no RB and highest paid WR is Corey Davis.  So if the Jets do not have the most money to pay Berrios, who does?   if someone else with less cap space is willing to pay Berrios more, what does that tell you. 
  • JD should offer Berrrios something generous, which is much more than he paid Cole and Crowder in 2021.   Hopefully we can get Berrios in the fold, but at $8MM+ he is a hard pass. Re-sign Crowder.  
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 2/7/2022 at 11:08 AM, JiFapono said:

He's worth every single penny of it.

Jets fans and their issues w/ paying players is so, just, wtf?  Such a weird phenomenon with this fanbase.  I dont know a single player in the history of this franchise, that Jets fans were happy to sign/give money to.  Legit.  I'm being dead serious.  I've never seen a contract given to a player who deserves it, celebrated.  I understand we've handed out some next level dumb sh*t but still, it's bizarre.

Anywho, Berrios is arguably a better slot WR than Jamison Crowder at this point in their careers.  When you consider what else he does for this team ie; returns, gadget plays, end arounds, leadership, work ethic, passion, etc.  He's worth every ******* penny.  It establishes culture.  Reward those who deserve it and Berrios, deserves it.  He's best friends with your franchise QB,  Zach loves throwing to him.  Dont **** this up and let him walk over a few millions.  That would be flat out stupid.

Berrios is a priority signing for this team.

 

 

I agree with a lot of what you are saying. 

However, 9mil IS NOT his market value. Based on production, if some GM gives him 9mil, he is overpaying. Maybe for potential (although he is not the type of player that oozes potential), maybe because they think he is a perfect fit or missing piece. But not based on market value. He may be arguably better than Crowder NOW (BTW Crowder makes like 5mil now after having his salary cut). But when crowder was first signed by the Jets he was coming off much better stats in WASH. Then he ended up with 78 catches, 833yrds, 6TDs his first year with the Jets, far better than anything we have seen from Berrios. Crowder is a 7 year vet with a proven track record. He may be on a decline in his career and Berrios has more versatility but Crowder is a better slot receiver than Berrios. He just is. 

So while there is nothing wrong with Berrios putting it out there that he feels he deserves this amount, the fact is JD would be wise to pay him closer to true market value (6 mil?) and Berrios would be wise to take it and remain in a place where he 1. has chemistry with the QB 2. has a clear, expanded role and 3. has seen his best production.  

It's all relative. If we lost Berrios but signed Smith-Schuster to a 9mil contract. I think I would be ok with that. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Barry McCockinner said:

We're talking about $4mm in cap space spread over 3 years. It's not going to prevent us from doing anything. We're talking about a favorite target of our rookie QB.

If you want to develop him, keep his favorite weapons and surround him with more. This is not the place to penny pinch.

Some of the same people who say it's no big deal for the Packers who are over 40 million over the cap will easily re-sign Adams think it's irresponsible to spend a few extra million here. It's silly.

 

You keep misreading my post.  I'm not opposed to paying Berrios! I only take issue with the comments that the pool of money from which he is paid is Woody Johnson's bank account and wallet. That is just not true in a sport that has a salary cap. Berrios would be paid from a limited pool of money allocated to the Jets by the NFL salary cap rules.  The Jets could conceivably run out of money in some future season and not be able to extend/renegotiate a contract or make an offer to a free agent because of cap constraints. It is not an open blank check every time a player contract is up for debate/negotiation. That is a naive and simplistic view.  So - yes - pay Berrios $8-9 million per because the Jets (not Woody) appear to be able to afford that under the cap and because he likely will be needed and worth the money.  

Eventually, when you pay QBs $40 million, and WRs $30 million and OTs $20 million and edge rushers $20 million and DBs $15 million, and so on, you end up like the Saints - over the cap and in a position where you need to dump contracts and salary.  Woody can want to pay all these guys if that happens, but the NFL rules prohibit it (unlike baseball which lets teams pay whatever they want).  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

You keep misreading my post.  I'm not opposed to paying Berrios! I only take issue with the comments that the pool of money from which he is paid is Woody Johnson's bank account and wallet. That is just not true in a sport that has a salary cap. Berrios would be paid from a limited pool of money allocated to the Jets by the NFL salary cap rules.  The Jets could conceivably run out of money in some future season and not be able to extend/renegotiate a contract or make an offer to a free agent because of cap constraints. It is not an open blank check every time a player contract is up for debate/negotiation. That is a naive and simplistic view.  So - yes - pay Berrios $8-9 million per because the Jets (not Woody) appear to be able to afford that under the cap and because he likely will be needed and worth the money.  

Eventually, when you pay QBs $40 million, and WRs $30 million and OTs $20 million and edge rushers $20 million and DBs $15 million, and so on, you end up like the Saints - over the cap and in a position where you need to dump contracts and salary.  Woody can want to pay all these guys if that happens, but the NFL rules prohibit it (unlike baseball which lets teams pay whatever they want).  

I understand how the salary cap works. Thanks.

The Jets are in no danger of entering cap hell and Braxton Berrios making $9mm/year for a few years doesn't change that.

We have a second year qb on his rookie deal. Spend cap space on weapons so he can develop.

Why this place is so paranoid about the Jets going into cap hell when they're consistently below the cap and in no danger of being so is a very strange phenomenon. We don't have a bunch of players to pay because we f'n suck every year. You have to pay people. Get over it.

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, sec101row23 said:

Braxton is a $5M per year player.   Given that over 60% of kick offs are touch backs, his monetary value as a return guy is limited.  

That’s why I don’t understand why guys keep hyping up his value as a return guy. Yeah he’s good at it but it’s not a major factor in most games. He had one return TD last year, guys acting like he had 8

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Rhg1084 said:

How is his comp Cole Beasley? Beasley has had over 80 catches and almost 1000 yards receiving in each of his last two seasons. Berrios puts up production like that?!!!

Seems like people are envisioning what Berrios might be when they bring up guys like Chrebet and Beasley. Berrios hasnt proving to be that type of player consistently. We’re hoping. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

These football players have tough jobs and need to get what they can.

But the strategy of some agents to push the limit as far as possible often backfires.  It really backfired on Marcus Maye.  If the Jets go off and sign 1-2 FA WRs, there will be no premium bid for Berrios.   His agent will find out more at the bar in Indianapolis, and the Jets will need to match or beat what they perceive to be Berrios’ best bid.  I am not expecting a home town or NYC discount (even though it appears Berrios likes playing near NYC).  

The time to get a hometown discount was 3 months ago.  If Berrios got hurt week 15 without a new contract, he was screwed, 

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

32 minutes ago, Rhg1084 said:

That’s why I don’t understand why guys keep hyping up his value as a return guy. Yeah he’s good at it but it’s not a major factor in most games. He had one return TD last year, guys acting like he had 8

He's more important as a punt returner than a KO returner.

The dude was fantastic returning punts, no fumbles and was constanly improving our field position.  

It's not that hard to undertand.  KOs are basically irrelevant but a nice benny.

It's the PR coupled with his clutch catches and running for first downs that makes him an important player for the Jets.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, varjet said:

These football players have tough jobs and need to get what they can.

But the strategy of some agents to push the limit as far as possible often backfires.  It really backfired on Marcus Maye.  If the Jets go off and sign 1-2 FA WRs, there will be no premium bid for Berrios.   His agent will find out more at the bar in Indianapolis, and the Jets will need to match or beat what they perceive to be Berrios’ best bid.  I am not expecting a home town or NYC discount (even though it appears Berrios likes playing near NYC).  

The time to get a hometown discount was 3 months ago.  If Berrios got hurt week 15 without a new contract, he was screwed, 

We’re definitely not getting a discount. If anything, he’ll give his childhood team, the Dolphins, a discount. Don't see the Fins going after him though because they have Waddle. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

38 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

Braxton is a $5M per year player.   Given that over 60% of kick offs are touch backs, his monetary value as a return guy is limited.  

KOs are irrelevant.  It's his punt returning that is much more valuable.  In addition to clutch catching and runnning for first downs.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

41 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

I understand how the salary cap works. Thanks.

The Jets are in no danger of entering cap hell and Braxton Berrios making $9mm/year for a few years doesn't change that.

We have a second year qb on his rookie deal. Spend cap space on weapons so he can develop.

Why this place is so paranoid about the Jets going into cap hell when they're consistently below the cap and in no danger of being so is a very strange phenomenon. We don't have a bunch of players to pay because we f'n suck every year. You have to pay people. Get over it.

I never want to drastically overpay but at this point, we have an abundance of Cap Space.

Don't sit on it all.  Spend some and keep an important cog.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 2/7/2022 at 10:57 AM, Joe W. Namath said:

I think berrios has worked himself into a #3 slot receiver.  Hes not a 4 anymore.  What do the top #3 slot guys go for?

We paid Keelan Cole 5.5 mil this year. Berrios is clearly better.

Cole Beasley makes 7.5 million a year.  I think that is a fair price for berrios.

+1. Agree 100% on this. Beasley's # (avg $7.5/per) is perfectly fair for Berrios.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

31 minutes ago, Rhg1084 said:

That’s why I don’t understand why guys keep hyping up his value as a return guy. Yeah he’s good at it but it’s not a major factor in most games. He had one return TD last year, guys acting like he had 8

It's not the TDs that count so much. It's the field position / return yardage. Field position is a major factor in a lot of games. 

Berrios had 28 returns last year, and averaged 30.4 yards per return. On average each kick return was 5.4 yards better than a touchback. That's 28 times we started a drive with a "free" 5 yard gain. 28 times we had 5 fewer yards to go for a TD.

It may not sound a lot but it does add up ... if Berrios had 150 extra rushing yards on the season people would probably look at him differently, but because it's kick return yardage it tends to get forgotten. Factor in another 200 punt return yards and that's 350 fewer yards we had to go to score in 2022. 350 return yards is every bit as valuable as 350 receiving / rushing yards. 

Adding it all up - Berrios contributed 820 yards and 5 TDs in 2022 as a role player. For comparison, Carter had 964 yards and 4 TDs. Moore had 592 and 6 TDs.

 

 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

This is a negotiation.  If Berrios and his team are going to throw out a number in the press, it is going to be a big number.  Does not mean that is what they expect to get.  It is a first number in a negotiation.

IMO, Berrios is more valuable to us than he is to just about any other team in the league, given his chemistry with Wilson and the state of our WR depth chart.  That does not mean you pay him what he is asking for.  EIther we come together on a deal prior to FA, maybe for about $7M per year or you let him test the market. 

He may find that his offers are in the $5 - $6M per year range, and a $7M deal with the Jets might look good.

Its a long offseason, let the process play out. 

  • Upvote 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, PepPep said:

I agree with a lot of what you are saying. 

However, 9mil IS NOT his market value. Based on production, if some GM gives him 9mil, he is overpaying. Maybe for potential (although he is not the type of player that oozes potential), maybe because they think he is a perfect fit or missing piece. But not based on market value. He may be arguably better than Crowder NOW (BTW Crowder makes like 5mil now after having his salary cut). But when crowder was first signed by the Jets he was coming off much better stats in WASH. Then he ended up with 78 catches, 833yrds, 6TDs his first year with the Jets, far better than anything we have seen from Berrios. Crowder is a 7 year vet with a proven track record. He may be on a decline in his career and Berrios has more versatility but Crowder is a better slot receiver than Berrios. He just is. 

So while there is nothing wrong with Berrios putting it out there that he feels he deserves this amount, the fact is JD would be wise to pay him closer to true market value (6 mil?) and Berrios would be wise to take it and remain in a place where he 1. has chemistry with the QB 2. has a clear, expanded role and 3. has seen his best production.  

It's all relative. If we lost Berrios but signed Smith-Schuster to a 9mil contract. I think I would be ok with that. 

I'm not going to sit here and pretend that I really know what the market is demanding for Berrios.  I've mentioned, I dont think he gets $9 but I think he's worth it to the Jets because he does stuff for this team that is hard to quantify.  However, I've used 2 examples of guys who are strictly kick returners getting $7 mil a year that are nowhere near as good of a WR as Berrios, not even close.  So I dont think it's an out of the picture thought.

I patently disagree, that he's not as good of a slot WR as Crowder.  He put up identical #'s on 150 less snaps.  I dont know why this fact is insignificant to so many posters.  If given more volume, why is it a crazy thought that Berrios would in return, produce more?  It's bizarre.  As someone mentioned, he was 2nd overall in the league in yards of separation.  He's extremely hard to cover.  He scored a TD on every 13th touch.  Do people understand how mega efficient that is?  It's like a point guard who doesnt turn it over, shoots 60% from the field and has 10 assists a game.  That type of efficiency production is almost unrivaled. 

I personally would be very upset if the Jets lost Berrios and replaced him with Smith-Schuster.  That IMO would be a colossal failure. 

 

  • Upvote 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

So Crowder got 5.5mil last year. Berrios was more important to the offence.

Cole also got 5.5mil last year. Berrios was more important to the offence.

both will be gone. There’s 11 million.

Berrios to me can play the Cole Beasley role in this offence.

Cole Beasley signed a four year $29 million contract with the Bills in 2019 at 7.6mil per year.

You can see how the Berrios camp gets to 9million as a starting price in 2022

oh yeah, he’s a pretty good kick returner.

They should strike a deal

  • Upvote 1
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 2/7/2022 at 10:50 AM, Rhg1084 said:

$9m for a #4 WR who’s a good KR? GTFOH! I’d give him 3 years $15m max! 

Oh yeah there is so much more you can do with 9 Million per year. Corey Davis for example, 3 years 37 Million dollars. 12 1/3 per year average. He has been an absolute beast. Never drops a ball, is always healthy and is always open.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, DonCorleone said:

Oh yeah there is so much more you can do with 9 Million per year. Corey Davis for example, 3 years 37 Million dollars. 12 1/3 per year average. He has been an absolute beast. Never drops a ball, is always healthy and is always open.

Corey Davis played in 7 less games than Berrios and still had more yards 

  • Confused 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...