Cowboys Insider Expects Team To Cut Amari Cooper And DeMarcus Lawrence This Offseason

jackhuntr

When the Dallas Cowboys take the field in 2022, they will look different both on offense and defense.

Even though the team is bringing back head coach Mike McCarthy, there is expected to be major changes to the team with two major roster cuts likely coming this offseason with wide receiver Amari Cooper and defensive end DeMarcus Lawrence.

Cooper has three seasons remaining on his five-year, $100 million contract but the Cowboys have a potential out on his deal this offseason. The star receiver is set to have a $22 million cap hit in 2022 if he’s retained.

As far as Lawrence goes, he still has two seasons remaining on his five-year, $105 million contract and is slated to have a $19 million salary in 2022, but the Cowboys have an out in his deal to save a ton of money if they release him.

It was Cowboys Vice President Stephen Jones who hinted at potential cuts when he admitted that “you want them to be the best at what they do” when responding about Cooper’s contract.

Last month, Cooper admitted he did not know if he would be back with the Cowboys next season.

“I don’t make those decisions,” Cooper noted during a January 16 press conference. “I honestly don’t know but hopefully.”

The Cowboys are coming off a disappointing finish to the 2021-22 season and which they dominated every team in the NFC East with a 6-0 record, won the division and earned the No. 3 seed in the conference. However, the team from Arlington got taken down by the San Francisco 49ers in the Wild Card round after Dak Prescott’s ill-timed run from the pocket with just seconds left to play with no timeouts doomed the team right into the offseason.

Looks like Dallas is currently about $24M over the cap.  After dead money costs (unless they're designated post June 1st cuts) cutting Cooper and Lawerence gets them about even.   Neither is performing at contract level, but would still be surprising to see two of those caliber players get cut in this day and age. 

What's also interesting is Green Bay's situation - they're currently $50M over the cap.  Not sure how Adams is franchise tagged in that situation. 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Untouchable said:

Don’t give two wet sh*ts about Lawrence, but I’d take Cooper in a heartbeat.

No, he isn’t an “elite” #1, but he’s still only 27, has been one of the better route runners since he entered the league and is good for 1100 yards and 6-8 TD’s a season.

I have a better chance of Scarlett Johansson parking her ass on my face tonight than the Jets signing Davante Adams. People need to let that pipe dream die a quick death.

Just to be clear:

I am pulling for you in the Scarlett Johansson ass thing.  NOT because I want to improve our chances at getting Davante Adams, but more because....well:

Hot Pictures Of Scarlett Johansson Will Make Your day | Life Is Fashion  Beauty Nature

• Sympathy 2
  • Haha 3

Depends on how much he costs. He just disappears from games too much for me to overspend in FA on him. I also really like the idea of drafting another young WR to grow with Zach - like Burks or Wilson. Signing another big time WR in FA would prob take out our likelihood of spending a high draft pick on one. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, shuler82 said:

Looks like Dallas is currently about $24M over the cap.  After dead money costs (unless they're designated post June 1st cuts) cutting Cooper and Lawerence gets them about even.   Neither is performing at contract level, but would still be surprising to see two of those caliber players get cut in this day and age. 

What's also interesting is Green Bay's situation - they're currently $50M over the cap.  Not sure how Adams is franchise tagged in that situation. 

I'm looking at the Smiths at e

Edge Rush!

53 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

If they get cut, they will sign with contenders like KC or SF. Even Seattle is a better destination.  

Draft picks, cap space, young roster, who says the better destination is clearly Seattle?  

It comes down to money.  Know why?  No one knows if Seattle or the Jets will be the better destination on Feb 8th.   R Wilson gets traded and Carrol steps down, thats how fast it can change.  Its football

• Upvote 1