Cowboys Insider Expects Team To Cut Amari Cooper And DeMarcus Lawrence This Offseason

jackhuntr

32 minutes ago, Rhg1084 said:

Cooper is only 27 years old, so he’s not an “older” player on the downside of his career. I think the Bills are happy when they traded for a 27 year old Stefan Diggs last year. Jets need to get Zach a veteran WR. They can’t rely on the rookies in this class who aren’t any good 

Are they?  Cause they could have not made the trade and drafted Justin Jefferson who is younger, cheaper and better then Diggs.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Joe W. Namath said:

Are they?  Cause they could have not made the trade and drafted Justin Jefferson who is younger, cheaper and better then Diggs.

How would they know Jefferson was going to be available to them in that spot of the draft? Hindsight is 20/20… for all you know they could’ve ended up with Jalen Raegor. Getting Diggs was the right move obviously as it’s worked out pretty well for them.

4 minutes ago, Rhg1084 said:

Yeah he’s a real cancer as all his ex Cleveland teammates are singing his praises and wishing him well in the super bowl ?… I think you got the wrong guy who was the cancer in Cleveland and that guy is still currently the QB of the team

You're entitled to your opinions. 

Being the kind of guy who forces his way out of places looks like it will ultimately pay off for OBJ, he's in the Super Bowl, so good for him.

I'm not interested in him for the Jets, but if you are, by all means advocate for him (or Cooper).

22 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Bird in the Hand. The draft is a crap shoot, you can't know that Jefferson would be there or that he would have been the Bills selection.

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, shuler82 said:

Looks like Dallas is currently about $24M over the cap.  After dead money costs (unless they're designated post June 1st cuts) cutting Cooper and Lawerence gets them about even.   Neither is performing at contract level, but would still be surprising to see two of those caliber players get cut in this day and age. 

What's also interesting is Green Bay's situation - they're currently $50M over the cap.  Not sure how Adams is franchise tagged in that situation. 

Can they tag and trade someone in the NFL?

The franchise tag for a WR is 18.5M, which is relatively cheap in regards to other top end WRs (especially if there are rumors that he's looking for significantly more). Can GB tag him, then trade him?

2 hours ago, More Cowbell said:

If you are going by last season and the one before, it isn't  Wilson's fault the team didn't  do better. Last season he was injured and wasn't  the same when he came back, the year before he was basically  the sole reason the team made the playoffs. If Seattle had any resemblance  of a good OL, he is in the conversation for the best the NFL has. He is accurate, he is a great decision maker, he makes other players on the field better, and he can kill you with his legs. Wilson is a game changing QB. 

But they don’t have an OL,  they don’t have a D.  He isn’t one of the best there is, he never was in the top of the NFL.  He wasn’t Brady, Rodgers, Manning, Ben, Etc.  He’s just outside of the best.  Not the point, the Seahawks aren’t a great destination in that division 

1 hour ago, Rhg1084 said:

Yeah he’s a real cancer as all his ex Cleveland teammates are singing his praises and wishing him well in the super bowl ?… I think you got the wrong guy who was the cancer in Cleveland and that guy is still currently the QB of the team

I think Baker is just really bad and not a cancer. 

I wouldn't call OBJ a cancer either, but being liked by some of his former teammates isn't really the issue. I don't think he is a bad guy, he is just a potential distraction for a coaching staff. Odell can accept not getting 10 targets when the team is on the way to a SB and he is surrounded by vets and great talent. If we sign odell and start off 1-3 next year and Zach isn't passing him the ball you can bet you will see Odell antics on the sidelines. A young, rebuilding team doesn't need to bring that in.  

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

Players and situations aren't all 100% equal.

OBJ on the right team, with the right QB, and right coach and role, for the right amount of time, may be of material worth.

As he proved in Cleveland, OBJ on the wrong team, with the wrong QB, in the wrong situation, in a longer-term situation, is a locker-room wrecking selfish cancer.

I'd bet that OBJ, on this Jets team, would be a cancer.

But you're certainly entitled to feel differently. 

End of the day, it's all opinion and projection, since JD has shown no interest in (specifically) OBJ.

Until JD actually shows interest in these various "I've heard of that guy!" fan favs, it's a moot point.

I think the core point we would agree on is that Zach Wilson needs supported, and needs more and better weapons on offense.  WR, TE, 2nd RB, OL.

Just saying too many write players in their 20’s off.  There’s a whole lot of reasons a WRs numbers might drop.  That said some are complaining that 1100 yards and 6-8 tds doesn’t make him a top WR

• Upvote 1

Being the kind of guy who forces his way out of places looks like it will ultimately pay off for OBJ, he's in the Super Bowl, so good for him.

I'm not interested in him for the Jets, but if you are, by all means advocate for him (or Cooper).

Frankly, the analogy from Cooper to OBJ is absurd and irrelevant. Weak argument.

Agree with everything you've been saying.

OBJ on a rebuilding team with a young QB would be a nightmare.  The Giants traded him to cleveland to SPITE him because they knew it would be a bad situation for him.

When he was released this year, his primary teams to go to were the Packers, Chiefs, Rams and Saints....and the Saints were an option strictly because that's his hometown.  Notice a pattern there?

So yeah, anyone who thinks OBJ would have been "happy" with the Jets is fooling themselves.

16 hours ago, Untouchable said:

Don’t give two wet sh*ts about Lawrence, but I’d take Cooper in a heartbeat.

No, he isn’t an “elite” #1, but he’s still only 27, has been one of the better route runners since he entered the league and is good for 1100 yards and 6-8 TD’s a season.

I have a better chance of Scarlett Johansson parking her ass on my face tonight than the Jets signing Davante Adams. People need to let that pipe dream die a quick death.

quarterback play is a big deal for the fringe #1 WRers. Cooper isnt hopkins, he isn’t adams, he isn’t elite. If you put him in an offense with a baker mayfield, Zach Wilson, or some of the mediocre qb’s in the league, he isn’t going to be good for 1000 yards. Cooper has been on teams where the qb play has been good to above average his whole career. With that being said, if cooper is cut loose, I just don’t see why he’d sign here when him and his agent probably know that going to a team with a questionable qb situation would likely hurt his earning potential. He’s only 27, so he likely still has 2 good contracts left. Signing here vs another team in better shape could and likely would cost him 10’s of millions of dollars.

2 hours ago, Rhg1084 said:

The OBJ isn't a cancer hill isn't the one you wanna die on. lmao  There's 53 knuckleheads on each team of course some are going to like him....that's actually the problem. 

1 hour ago, Jet Nut said:

Just saying too many write players in their 20’s off.  There’s a whole lot of reasons a WRs numbers might drop.  That said some are complaining that 1100 yards and 6-8 tds doesn’t make him a top WR

To be clear, I am not writing him off per se, I'm writing him off for the Jets, in our specific circumstances.

There are situations where he could excel, despite losing a little of what he was when younger, absolutely. 

Just not convinced it's here, with us, as we're built now, with a 2nd year QB.  And the cost to acquire is a factor of course.  

One of the risks in acquiring an elite #1 WR is they're all primadonnas, most are outsized personalities, many are extremely selfish and just want the damn ball.  A very young QB has a real test standing up to a guy like that.

I'll be very honest, I don't think Zach, today, could handle and stand up to an OBJ type.   Now Cooper isn't the cancer OBJ has been, but he is a big personality and he is selfish about getting his balls.  If he were Curtis Martin, maybe it might might.  Maybe it would anyway.

But personally, I think I prefer Zach to learn and earn right alongside some good drafted WR's and not have to compete for leadership of the team with a veteran WR like Cooper, who could (if things go anywhere close to how they went this year) be a locker room distraction.

I'm certainly open to the idea I could be wrong on this.

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, bla bla bla said:

I feel ya but ask yourself this, are there players on our roster we should be extending or are there more impactful players that would sign here that this deal would prevent?

I think benefit of Cooper will help us more in the long run than the money saved by going another direction. Realistically you'd be giving him a new contract that is lower anyway.

I just think it’s bad policy to pay a premium for players that were booted from teams that are a lot better than the Jets, as Davis and Berrios were, and as Cooper soon shall be. 

44 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I just think it’s bad policy to pay a premium for players that were booted from teams that are a lot better than the Jets, as Davis and Berrios were, and as Cooper soon shall be. 

The Raiders weren’t better than us, we’re worse.  YetCooper still put his 1100 yards.  With Dallas it’s all about their cap room and the deal Jerry happily gave him.  That doesn’t seem to bother anyone with regards to Schultz though.  

• Upvote 1

57 minutes ago, Scotty Wooty Doo Doo said:

Has anyone owned a Fantasy Football team and had Cooper on your roster?   UUUUUGHHHHHHH

Fantasy football isn’t football.  
And I’m trying to figure out how you get an UUUUUGHHHHH out of 1,100 yards per and 7 TDS per on a fantasy football team

• Upvote 1

To be clear, I am not writing him off per se, I'm writing him off for the Jets, in our specific circumstances.

There are situations where he could excel, despite losing a little of what he was when younger, absolutely. 

Just not convinced it's here, with us, as we're built now, with a 2nd year QB.  And the cost to acquire is a factor of course.  

One of the risks in acquiring an elite #1 WR is they're all primadonnas, most are outsized personalities, many are extremely selfish and just want the damn ball.  A very young QB has a real test standing up to a guy like that.

I'll be very honest, I don't think Zach, today, could handle and stand up to an OBJ type.   Now Cooper isn't the cancer OBJ has been, but he is a big personality and he is selfish about getting his balls.  If he were Curtis Martin, maybe it might might.  Maybe it would anyway.

But personally, I think I prefer Zach to learn and earn right alongside some good drafted WR's and not have to compete for leadership of the team with a veteran WR like Cooper, who could (if things go anywhere close to how they went this year) be a locker room distraction.

I'm certainly open to the idea I could be wrong on this.

I get your fear but he hasn’t been a problem, ZW will have to deal with a Prima Donna eventually.  I just think the addition to the WR group is worth the fears you have.  He’s 27 now, not 20.  WRs are nuts in college.  

As I said earlier I don’t know if this is the year JD thinks it’s beneficial to go the FA route.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, undertow said:

The OBJ isn't a cancer hill isn't the one you wanna die on. lmao  There's 53 knuckleheads on each team of course some are going to like him....that's actually the problem. 

It’s more likely that their being knuckleheads is their problem as opposed to they wish him luck because they’re knuckleheads.  
‘Actually by all reports OBJ is fine in his locker room and WR room.   One hell of an excuse fore being liked.

19 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

The Raiders weren’t better than us, we’re worse.  YetCooper still put his 1100 yards.  With Dallas it’s all about their cap room and the deal Jerry happily gave him.  That doesn’t seem to bother anyone with regards to Schultz though.  

I wouldn’t go nuts signing Schultz, either

• Upvote 1