Stan Blinka Personal Fouls - Anyone Know The Answer ???

THE BARON

The other day, I was as reminiscing with a fellow Jets fan about an old chapter in Jets history involving linebacker Stan Blinka from the 1982 season

There were two over-the-top personal fouls that Blinka committed in two respective games from that season.

One of them was a forearm to the head of John Jefferson.  Blinka actually left his feet to deliver the blow.  The hit was so out of line that he was suspended for it.  Have a peek at this news link…

https://www.nytimes.com/1982/12/09/sports/blinka-banned-for-game-by-nfl.html#:~:text=Blinka is only the second,28.

And now on to the question…

There was a second serious foul that Blinka committed that came either a game before or a game after that Jeffrson foul.  I can’t remember who Blinka fouled and what exactly he did.  I think it was a clothesline to the neck.   All I remember is the TV announcer who I think was Don Crique having a conniption fit… Saying… “OH NO…. STAN BLINKA !!! NOT STAN BLINKA AGAIN !!! OH NO !!!!  STAN BLINKA !!!!" 

Does ANYONE remember what that second foul was and who Blinka fouled ???

Thanx in advance... 

The Blinka Jefferson clothesline was the very first Jet football game I attended live. Sat  in the last row top deck at Shea behind where home plate was.  

Was with my future wife, was the end of Thanksgiving weekend and we headed back up to college after the game. Was bitter cold, my future father-in-law gave me a flask with Courvoisier. 

Remember that hit like it was yesterday. 

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, Peace Frog said:

The Blinka Jefferson clothesline was the very first Jet football game I attended live. Sat  in the last row top deck at Shea behind where home plate was.  

Was with my future wife, was the end of Thanksgiving weekend and we headed back up to college after the game. Was bitter cold, my future father-in-law gave me a flask with Courvoisier. 

Remember that hit like it was yesterday. 

Same here .Wasn't John Hadl the QB?

13 minutes ago, section314 said:

It was on Monday Night Football vs Detroit. Think it was near the sideline, and Dandy Don went off on him.

I dont think it was the Detroit game.  That game came right after the Packers game with the Jefferson hit and Blinka was suspended for one game.  He would not have been in the Detroit game due to the suspension, no ???

3 minutes ago, section314 said:

Didn't get a suspension.

https://www.nytimes.com/1982/12/09/sports/blinka-banned-for-game-by-nfl.html#:~:text=Blinka is only the second,28.

"Stan Blinka, the Jets' starting middle linebacker, was suspended for one game without pay today by Commissioner Pete Rozelle of the National Football League for what Rozelle described as a ''foul that ranks with the worst infractions I have witnessed in an N.F.L. game.''

The 1st personal foul was on Thanksgiving Sunday. 

They played the Lions the week after on Dec 6th, but the suspension didn't come down until after that game, Dec 8th per the link below, and Blinka missed the Tampa game. 

https://www.upi.com/Archives/1982/12/08/Rozelle-suspends-Blinka-fines-Thompson/4022408171600/

So the second personal foul could have been that Monday night game vs the Lions. I was 9, I dont really remember :)

Pro Football Reference shows Blinka played that MNF game vs Detroit, missed the Tampa game, and was back for the Dolphins game.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/198212060det.htm

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, BeaconJet said:

The 1st personal foul was on Thanksgiving Sunday. 

They played the Lions the week after on Dec 6th, but the suspension didn't come down until after that game, Dec 8th per the link below, and Blinka missed the Tampa game. 

https://www.upi.com/Archives/1982/12/08/Rozelle-suspends-Blinka-fines-Thompson/4022408171600/

So the second personal foul could have been that Monday night game vs the Lions. I was 9, I dont really remember :)

Pro Football Reference shows Blinka played that MNF game vs Detroit, missed the Tampa game, and was back for the Dolphins game.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/198212060det.htm

Ahhh... OK.  So he was in the Detroit game.  

8 minutes ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

Blinka was suspended for  the hit on Jefferson.  I found no reference to another personal foul.  

I know.  I cant find it either, but I know there was a second foul that season involving Blinka.  I still remember the announcers going nuts.  "OH NO... NOT STAN BLINKA AGAIN !!!"

The second foul must have been at an away game, because I was at all the home games in 1982.  If it was a home game, I would not have remembered what the announcers were saying because I was in the stands.  Anyway...   That was the second year I started going to games with my pop.  I was 14 then.  

2 minutes ago, BeaconJet said:

If it was an away game, and with the announcers saying "Again", then it would have been either Detroit on MNF, Dolphins, Minnesota or KC, assuming it was a regular season game.

Thinking about what might have been. That Miami game was lost by Leahy missing an easy FG and an XP  I think the Jets host the AFC title game if Leahy makes a kick and the Jets win that game.  

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

Klecko, Salaam, Lyons, Gastineau, Blinka, Buttle, Mehl.  What a front 7 that was!  

It was a fun team but somehow they never put it together in the playoffs.   Those teams should have done better.

Fun fact about Starr calling Blinka a criminal.  Namath was contiinually being cheap shot by the Raiders and Ben Davidson in particular.  In SB 2 Davidson knocked Starr out of the game in the third quarter with a thumb injury.  

The Raiders back in the 60's took pride in being borderline criminals on defense.  For a long time after the merger the AFC teams always seemed a little more wide open on O and a little chippy on D.  That's all been homgenized into the league now.  

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

Klecko, Salaam, Lyons, Gastineau, Blinka, Buttle, Mehl.  What a front 7 that was!  

Oh, man... I miss that defense.  And the secondary was great too.  

Jerry Holmes (daddy long leggs)

Bobby Jackson

Darrol Ray (one man wrecking crew if he intercepted one)

Ken Schroy 

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Biggs said:

It was a fun team but somehow they never put it together in the playoffs.   Those teams should have done better.

Fun fact about Starr calling Blinka a criminal.  Namath was contiinually being cheap shot by the Raiders and Ben Davidson in particular.  In SB 2 Davidson knocked Starr out of the game in the third quarter with a thumb injury.  

The Raiders back in the 60's took pride in being borderline criminals on defense.  For a long time after the merger the AFC teams always seemed a little more wide open on O and a little chippy on D.  That's all been homgenized into the league now.  

Indeed.  

If you are a proper old and gray Jets fan, you hate the Raiders most

If you are an 80's kid, the Dolphins are your most hated

If you are Gen X, you cant stand the Pats

Future Jets fans, I think will hate the Bills :-)

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 3

6 minutes ago, Biggs said:

Friggin Mud Bowl still my most hated event in Jets history.  If they payed that game on a clean, fast field, Jets would have advanced and probably have beaten the Redskins.  Jets defense was great against the run with Lyons and Salaam in the center of the line and Buttle, Blinka and Mehl in back.  VERY good against the run,  Redskins would have struggled to get the ball moving on the ground and play action would not have worked. 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 2

4 minutes ago, THE BARON said:

Indeed.  

I'm 64, and I agree with your sentiments. Good job.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, THE BARON said:

Indeed.  

I'm in my early 60's and I hate all 4 teams.  As you age, the list grows longer.  I still can't root for the Raiders.  I despise Shula as much as Belichick.  Cheaters both.  And I have no love lost for the Bills.  

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

1 hour ago, Biggs said:

I am old enough to remember.  Davidson broke Namath's jaw with a punch in 67.  Namath was one tough SOB.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, THE BARON said:

Indeed.  

one thing in common: hate Jets ownership

2 hours ago, THE BARON said:

Indeed.  

Hated the Oakland Raiders -- result of the late 60s AFL rivalry and the way they played.  Las Vegas Raiders, meh.  Same franchise, but I just don't look at them the same way.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

I'm in my early 60's and I hate all 4 teams.  As you age, the list grows longer.  I still can't root for the Raiders.  I despise Shula as much as Belichick.  Cheaters both.  

I Hate the Raiders a bunch of cheap shot artists whose main goal whenever they played Joe Willie and the Jets was not to get Joe out of the game but end his career 

Totally agree with despising Shula. Can’t stand that pick who purposely left the field uncovered ( and Rozelle just rolled over and did nothing) since there was no way in hell they could cover Walker & Jones they were just to fast and the way Freeman was able to cut on a dime they wouldn’t be able to contain him. 
There is absolutely no doubt in my mind That team would have won the Super Bowl 

The other consequence was that Waldo was soooo pissed he went on a bender got himself all worked up and “resigned “ We wind up with Joe “pick me a winner “ Walton SO FUCH SHULA!!!!!!! With special mention of that Cheating Steaming bag of crap Belichik as well 

• Post of the Week 1

2 hours ago, THE BARON said:

Friggin Mud Bowl still my most hated event in Jets history.  If they payed that game on a clean, fast field, Jets would have advanced and probably have beaten the Redskins.  Jets defense was great against the run with Lyons and Salaam in the center of the line and Buttle, Blinka and Mehl in back.  VERY good against the run,  Redskins would have struggled to get the ball moving on the ground and play action would not have worked. 

What still sits in the back of my mind from that 82 season is that we should have had home field advantage.  2nd regular season game against the Phins, we are up 19-17 late, (don't remember if it was Strock or Woodley in for the DOlphins), but inside of two minutes, whoever it was throws a pass right into Bobby Jackson's arms and he drops the game clinching pick.  A few plays later Uwe Von Schamann hit the game winning FG. 

Jackson boucned back with two pick 6s the following week against the Vikings.  But had he held on to that one late against Miami, we finish 7-2, they are 6-3, and we host the AFCCG.  Instead, we had to play in the friggin Mud Bowl.

• Upvote 4