Jets hoping to re-sign Fatukasi & Berrios, per Cimini

mrcoops

22 hours ago, ZachEY said:

I just went back and looked at QW's draft, and it led me down an awful rabbit hole.

Lets say Macc isn't content with his QB room of Josh McCown, Bryce Petty, and Christian Hackenberg.

He drafts Patrick Mahommes.

BUT BUT BUT MAHOMMES WOULD NEVER HAVE BEEN GOOD HERE.

In 2018, we draft Quinton Nelson in the 1st, and maybe Courtland Sutton in round 2 as we need a WR.

In 2019, even if we still draft QW, our 2nd round pick was in position for Deebo Samuel or AJ Brown.

Looking The Past GIF by Four Rest Films

• Upvote 1

whether we sign Berrios or not i think we do draft one at 10

but Fatu is a different story. signing him would end any high pick on an Edge cause now JFM cant move inside. 

but if he doesnt sign him you can bet hes taking an Edge early.

cant wait to see how this plays out. it will give us a good idea as to how the draft will go early for us.

• WTF? 1

3 hours ago, ZachEY said:

Yeah - Your fantasy involves metaphysics or some sh*t, and mine requires a guy who's paid to evaluate NFL talent to conclude that Josh McCown, Bryce Petty, and Christian Hackenberg ain't it.  Which, much of Jet Nation Dot Com was able to do on their own, so...........

I like mine better.

Point being, the activity only proves to create ulcers and high blood pressure.

On 2/10/2022 at 12:43 PM, ZachEY said:

I just went back and looked at QW's draft, and it led me down an awful rabbit hole.

Lets say Macc isn't content with his QB room of Josh McCown, Bryce Petty, and Christian Hackenberg.

In 2018, we draft Quinton Nelson in the 1st, and maybe Courtland Sutton in round 2 as we need a WR.

In 2019, even if we still draft QW, our 2nd round pick was in position for Deebo Samuel or AJ Brown.

Silly rabbit....

Drag Queen Reaction GIF by Robert E Blackmon

My continued/repeat comment is that I don't understand how the Jets can let players they want to keep make it to FA, but I guess that the players don't want to settle with what JD is offering, and at some point into the regular season they are willing to play it out, hope they don't get hurt, and give it a go.  

But every NFL team needs to overpay guys on second contracts to fill the roster and not lose every game.  That is where the Jets are with Berrios and Foley.  In the case of Foley, if he added more value than Rankins keeping Foley and letting Rankins go while QW is still around, and draft the next generation again, could be the call.  

But if the approach is to let Foley, Shepherd and possibly Rankins, and Berrios, Cole and Crowder, go, and not replace them (or re-sign them) with guys who will likely cost more money (but hopefully be better), the team is going to win 4 games again in 2022.  

I might be in the minority, but I let Berrios walk.  4th WR/KR/PR types are exactly the areas you try to fill with cheap talent.  Remember when everyone was upset Andre Roberts?  

I don't want to overpay for a guy at that point, let him go somewhere else for anything over $4 million.  If our 3rd WR is Berrios, we have major problems.  

• Upvote 2

On 2/10/2022 at 11:47 AM, section314 said:

I wonder if coaching a few pretty good DT's at the SR bowl will change their thinking on Foley?

I think the smart move would be to resign Foley and draft Q’s replacement (if he’s not here already in the form of Jon Marshall - last years 6th round DT from Ark- due to his burst for a DT) and possibly ship Q for capital instead of committing to a talent that hasn’t matched production of his draft class peers: J Simmons - Titans, Ed Oliver - Bills, Wilkins - Mia

i like Q and think his #s will shoot up in ‘22 if the Jets can generate outside pressure from the DEs, otherwise trade him ala Leonard Williams because the BIG$ payday hasn’t been warranted thus far IMO. 

• Upvote 1
  • WTF? 1

52 minutes ago, win4ever said:

I might be in the minority, but I let Berrios walk.  4th WR/KR/PR types are exactly the areas you try to fill with cheap talent.  Remember when everyone was upset Andre Roberts?  

I don't want to overpay for a guy at that point, let him go somewhere else for anything over $4 million.  If our 3rd WR is Berrios, we have major problems.  

Out of curiousity who replaces berrios? You are essentially saying it’s just ok to be weaker in that part of the roster 

you are over simplifying your analysis 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, kevinc855 said:

Out of curiousity who replaces berrios? You are essentially saying it’s just ok to be weaker in that part of the roster 

you are over simplifying your analysis 

A late round draft pick, just like Berrios.  For example, when factoring in contracts, I would take someone like Dazz Newsome over Berrios for next year.  

This year, a guy like Velus Jones Jr.  He's not going to crack the top 3 WR spot as a rookie, but provides similar skills to Berrios, and he'll be a late round draft pick.  I'd rather use the money elsewhere.

• Upvote 1

On 2/10/2022 at 12:43 PM, ZachEY said:

OR...OR....OR...

He drafts Deshaun Watson and we've got a serial abuser sitting out a season, maybe 2 and then likely being traded.  

26 minutes ago, Peace Frog said:

OR...OR....OR...

He drafts Deshaun Watson and we've got a serial abuser sitting out a season, maybe 2 and then likely being traded.  

Knowing everything, at least we wouldn't have given up 4 picks for Darnold.  Darnold gutted this team.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, win4ever said:

A late round draft pick, just like Berrios.  For example, when factoring in contracts, I would take someone like Dazz Newsome over Berrios for next year.  

This year, a guy like Velus Jones Jr.  He's not going to crack the top 3 WR spot as a rookie, but provides similar skills to Berrios, and he'll be a late round draft pick.  I'd rather use the money elsewhere.

Can we admit they will not be as good or productive?

are you trying to get to the playoffs or are they giving out trophies for “best cap managed team” these days 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

3 minutes ago, kevinc855 said:

are you trying to get to the playoffs or are they giving out trophies for “best cap managed team” these days 

Exactly.  Let's fill up the roster with MORE rookies that will take a few years to get up to speed.  

10 hours ago, kevinc855 said:

Berrios had a pro-bowl season as a returner, and we were Trevor Lawrence deciding to run out of bounds away from picking No. 1 in this draft.  While Berrios is good, PR/KR are mostly interchangeable, unless you have a special Devin Hester type on the team.  

I'd much rather take that money and spend it on more important positions, be it signing a player, or signing a better player to more money that is available through the cheap PR/KR.  

8 hours ago, win4ever said:

Berrios had a pro-bowl season as a returner, and we were Trevor Lawrence deciding to run out of bounds away from picking No. 1 in this draft.  While Berrios is good, PR/KR are mostly interchangeable, unless you have a special Devin Hester type on the team.  

I'd much rather take that money and spend it on more important positions, be it signing a player, or signing a better player to more money that is available through the cheap PR/KR.  

Only makes sense if you like him as your slot long term, I wouldn't be opposed to it. Moore and Davis will play the outside this year, Davis could be cut after next season depending if the rookie we bring in is up to speed.

There is a part of me that hopes Jameson Williams falls to us in the 2nd, I know it's wasting 6 months of a contract but I think he's the best WR in this draft.

• Upvote 1