New Raiders HC Josh McDaniels bringing two Patriots staffers with him to Vegas

jetsons

Josh McDaniels will reportedly hire Patriots receivers coach to be the Raiders' offensive coordinator (boston.com)

Patriots wide receivers coach Mick Lombardi was speculated to be a candidate to replace McDaniels in New England.

Josh McDaniels Josh McDaniels will take a few Patriots assistants with him to the Raiders. AP Photo/Stew Milne

By Conor Roche

February 12, 2022

The shuffling among the Patriots’ coaching staff continues.

Patriots wide receivers coach Mick Lombardi will join Josh McDaniels in Las Vegas to become the Raiders’ offensive coordinator, ESPN’s Adam Schefter reported Saturday. McDaniels is also taking Patriots offensive line coach Carmen Bricillo for the same role with the Raiders, Schefter added.

Lombardi was speculated by insiders as a candidate and one of the top internal candidates to replace McDaniels as the Patriots’ offensive coordinator after he became the head coach of the Raiders. Lombardi, 33, has had two different stints with the Patriots. He was first a scouting assistant with the team for two seasons beginning in 2011. He returned to New England in 2019 to become an assistant quarterbacks coach and was promoted to wide receivers coach in       2020

Troy Brown is an obvious candidate to replace Lombardi’s role on the staff. The former Patriots player joined the coaching staff in 2019, assisting then wide receivers coach (and special teams coordinator) Joe Judge. He was promoted to running backs and kick returners coach in 2020 before becoming wide receivers and kick returners coach in 2021.

But Lombardi’s departure continues to add questions on how the Patriots will replace McDaniels. The Patriots re-hired Judge as an offensive assistant on Tuesday and tight ends coach Nick Caley remains on staff. Both have been speculated by insiders as candidates to assume offensive play-calling duties but not hold the offensive coordinator title.

Former Patriots offensive coordinator Bill O’Brien, who was thought to be a lead candidate for the role, has given “no indication” that he’ll leave his role as Alabama’s offensive coordinator, according to Nick Saban.

Bricillo, 45, assumed full offensive line coaching duties in the 2021 season after co-offensive line coach Cole Popovich was let go after reportedly not receiving the COVID-19 vaccine. Bricillo joined the Patriots’ staff in 2019 as an assistant and began coaching the offensive line in 2020. Popovich recently accepted a job at Troy University to become its offensive line coach, potentially ruling him out to return to New England.

Patriots assistant quarterbacks coach Bo Hardegree is also joining the Raiders to become their quarterbacks coach, according to multiple reports earlier in February.

In addition to all of the coaches leaving for Las Vegas, longtime running backs coach Ivan Fears is reportedly expected to retire this offseason.

5 hours ago, southparkcpa said:

So when does the cheating start??????

I'm pretty sure it already has!?

It may be coincidence but I've casually observed a chain of strange events over the last few weeks.

First TB12 somehow can't keep a lid on his retirement and awkwardly puts out a press release that doesn't mention the Patriots.

Then Gronk says he hasn't decided whether or not he's personally ready to retire (Gronk).

Brady re-releases a statement including his former Patriots coaches and players.

Josh McDaniels gets hired as the head coach of the Raiders.. even though the guy that took over for Gruden got them to the playoffs?

Two separate statements from his best friends hit social media stating they don't think Tom Brady is staying retired. Gronkowski and Edelman or it may have been Amendola. Literally no research this is just off the top of my head.

Sudden Mass Exodus from New England coaching staff to the Raiders?

Yes.. mostly from the offensive side of the ball.

That's a lot of ingredients stirring in the soup if you ask me~

• Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 2

4 hours ago, Greenbloodblitz said:

It may be coincidence but I've casually observed a chain of strange events over the last few weeks.

First TB12 somehow can't keep a lid on his retirement and awkwardly puts out a press release that doesn't mention the Patriots.

Then Gronk says he hasn't decided whether or not he's personally ready to retire (Gronk).

Brady re-releases a statement including his former Patriots coaches and players.

Josh McDaniels gets hired as the head coach of the Raiders.. even though the guy that took over for Gruden got them to the playoffs?

Two separate statements from his best friends hit social media stating they don't think Tom Brady is staying retired. Gronkowski and Edelman or it may have been Amendola. Literally no research this is just off the top of my head.

So.... Brady to the Raiders for a swan song??  I don't see them throwing Carr under the bus BUT sounds plausible.

• Sympathy 1

I actually think McDaniels will have more success this time around.

I’m curious to see what they do with Carr.

He aint bad but he aint it.

Do they trade Carr away to a team like Washington and then turn around and trade for Jimmy G? I personally wouldn’t but given the history I can see it.

Do they look to the draft and keep Carr? I can see Vegas being aggressive on the QB front this offseason.

8 hours ago, Greenbloodblitz said:

hardly a mass exodus.  but is the implication that brady will sign with the raiders along with gronk?

• Haha 1

52 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:

Do they trade Carr away to a team like Washington and then turn around and trade for Jimmy G? I personally wouldn’t but given the history I can see it.

Do they look to the draft and keep Carr? I can see Vegas being aggressive on the QB front this offseason.

@Raideraholic

Brady to Oakland would be for no reason other than to bump Bill out of the playoffs for the next couple years. I think he's pissed he didn't face the Pats in the post-season. 

Brady and Bill deserve each other, they are 1A and 1B for the most petty humans in the NFL.

1 hour ago, Adoni Beast said:

Well I guess this answers that.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwiD0Mzim_31AhWvl-AKHQKrC2gQvOMEKAB6BAgiEAE&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.nfl.com%2Fnews%2Fraiders-prepared-to-commit-to-qb-derek-carr-with-extension&usg=AOvVaw0YxFHpS-SpMR9-oH_2Yf3F

With new coach Josh McDaniels and general manager Dave Ziegler officially on board, Carr is finally set to receive the support that has eluded him.

Sources say the Raiders are moving forward with Carr at QB and prepared to discuss a contract extension that would keep him in Las Vegas for the foreseeable future. Carr has one year left on his contract, making nearly $20 million.

1 hour ago, rangerous said:

hardly a mass exodus.  but is the implication that brady will sign with the raiders along with gronk?

Hardly a Mass Exodus!?

So the GM, OC, WR, QB, and OL Coaches from the Pats, all just ended up on the Raiders.

Yeah they announced that they want to keep Carr and give him an extension. He has one year left on his contract and can easily be traded to multiple teams for picks and or players.

Yes they have Waddle.. and yes Brady is a Free Agent ...and so is Gronk.

Hey I know it's fodder and I'm obviously just having fun here. But if you align the Stars there's a hell of a lot of coincidences going on right here. Apparently they learned from the best!?

17 hours ago, Greenbloodblitz said:

Hardly a Mass Exodus!?

So the GM, OC, WR, QB, and OL Coaches from the Pats, all just ended up on the Raiders.

Yeah they announced that they want to keep Carr and give him an extension. He has one year left on his contract and can easily be traded to multiple teams for picks and or players.

Yes they have Waddle.. and yes Brady is a Free Agent ...and so is Gronk.

Hey I know it's fodder and I'm obviously just having fun here. But if you align the Stars there's a hell of a lot of coincidences going on right here. Apparently they learned from the best!?

ou mean the bellichicken went too?  after all he's the gm.

On 2/13/2022 at 10:45 AM, Adoni Beast said:

Same bullsh*t every year.  Carr’s signing big extension this off-season with the Raiders . Josh McDaniel got the Raider head coaching job because he’s a big Derek Carr believer .   Why  do Raiders want Gronk when they have D Waller, and F Moreau .   ( would be the same mistake as signing j Witten).

3 hours ago, Raideraholic said:

Same bullsh*t every year.  Carr’s signing big extension this off-season with the Raiders . Josh McDaniel got the Raider head coaching job because he’s a big Derek Carr believer .   Why  do Raiders want Gronk when they have D Waller, and F Moreau .   ( would be the same mistake as signing j Witten).

I think you guys have a good foundation in place and also think that McDaniels will be a much better coach this time around. Oakland played Cincy tough in the playoffs, so you're not far off.

I'm not a Carr hater, but I just don't see him as "the guy" to win it. I do however see the appeal for McDaniels as he will have to win now to some degree and make playoffs to buy cement a long-term leash.

If I had to guess I'd say the extension will be a 3 year deal with an easy out after 2, with McDaniels looking to draft and groom someone to replace him during this time.

12 hours ago, Adoni Beast said:

I think you guys have a good foundation in place and also think that McDaniels will be a much better coach this time around. Oakland played Cincy tough in the playoffs, so you're not far off.

I'm not a Carr hater, but I just don't see him as "the guy" to win it. I do however see the appeal for McDaniels as he will have to win now to some degree and make playoffs to buy cement a long-term leash.

If I had to guess I'd say the extension will be a 3 year deal with an easy out after 2, with McDaniels looking to draft and groom someone to replace him during this time.

You play Qb in Josh McDaniel / patriot system you better have a Qb who  can read defenses , and is pretty smart.   This Patriot system was meant for Carr , as Gruden always wanted him to be something he wasn’t - scrambler use 4.6 speed .    He can be pocket passer all day.   Hunter Renfrow going to be a star in this system ( have slot receiver) They have the Te’s ( D Waller, and F Moreau).    This system throws a lot to the backs - j jacobs, k Drake , J Richard , and A Ingold .    ( they have that).  What they need is outside Wr that has played in this system( outside Wr needs to be able to read defenses).    Probably trade for someone like Brandon Cooks - who can teach young Wrs and guy they draft how to play in this system.  
Offense line going to be interesting as they, are changing  the blocking scheme.  Your best offense lineman Lt K Miller and starting center are better suited for zone blocking scheme.     Will  get starting Rt somewhere in Fa .  

on defense they probably luck out that Giants can’t afford Cb James Bradberry who expect to be in Vegas next year. ( after he’s cut- perfect fit)  . De they’re loaded with Crosby ( scary part can get so much better ) Y Ngakoue , M Koonce, and C Ferrell ( didn’t fit Gus Bradley system but this new system fits him much better.    Wlb Devine Deablo going to be a star in this league . Going to  interested what happens with pro bowl mlb D Perryman  he physical enough great run support but at 5’11 236 can hold up 

in defense that usually has 250- 260 Lbs .     Special teams kicking units is top notch.