Jump to content

Rams vs Jets…. Who ya got?


Green Ghost
 Share

Recommended Posts

So the Rams traded draft picks almost as fast as they could get them. Signed a team full of older, highly paid FA’s, disregarding the cap along the way. They pushed all their chips into the middle of the table… Super Bowl or bust. They came up aces, and are World Champions. Nobody can ever take that away from them. On the down side you’d have to say their window will close very soon.

The Jets haven’t made the playoffs in 10 years. In this most recent rebuild, they decided to tear the entire team apart, and start from scratch. We are coming off two seasons with a combined 6 wins, but have a bunch of cap space, a load of draft picks, and we drafted a QB last year. On the downside, the QB wasn’t very good in his rookie year, and the GM has had one nightmarish draft and one that was pretty good.

Take your pick.
Would you be happy getting what will probably be on Super Bowl and one, maybe two years to try to win another before everything falls apart…

 Or would you rather roll the dice, hoping your team can build up a roster that could contend for 5-10 years?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

At my age I think the 1 o2 Super Bowls is the way to go so I can see it happen.

I know most want to rebuild, but there has to be a middle ground, spend Woody’s money and be a team people want to play for and take the back page of the papers from the Giants
Haven’t had a rooting interest in the super bowl for 53 years ( except for rooting against the Patriots ). 
it seems to me that once you have the pieces in place you can keep the winning culture far beyond the go for it years. Perineal contender would be nice.

But I do understand the rebuild. Let hope it succeeds sooner than later

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Difference as I see it - Rams were a very good team that went all in to be a championship team. Jets aren't anywhere near to good enough to start filling some holes / shooting for the moon with FAs.

You build it up, get good, THEN you can start to look at those few missing pieces. Right now we only have a few pieces that are NOT missing.

  • Upvote 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, jamesr said:

Difference as I see it - Rams were a very good team that went all in to be a championship team. Jets aren't anywhere near to good enough to start filling some holes / shooting for the moon with FAs.

You build it up, get good, THEN you can start to look at those few missing pieces. Right now we only have a few pieces that are NOT missing.

Yeah, it's not really the same, the Rams were in the Super Bowl just 4 years ago.   The rebuilt the team 6 years ago, then revamped it and added the last few pieces they could get.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

When I think of the Rams, I don't see a team that's stacked top to bottom.

They have an awesome DLine and a great CB.  The rest of the defense doesn't stand out but probably doesn't need to.

On offense, it's all passing.  Stafford, Kupp, Woods/OBJ, Higbee.  No running game.  OLine was good at protecting Stafford mostly but I don't know if that was talent, play design, or opponent skill level.  

I agree that age and cap are going to slam that window shut in another year or two but I doubt anyone will be complaining.

I can't figure out yet what the Jets' identity will be.  This year's draft and free agency period should go a long way to deciding that.  Until then, I can't really say, but I would gladly take 1 SB win and another shot the next year over the complete uncertainty we have now.  

 

 

  • Post of the Week 1
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The one thing I've learned is the GM and staff have to be brutal when it comes to evaluating QBs.  No way they win the SB with Goff over Stafford.  Just like we did with Darnold, if it ain't happening with Wilson, JD has to go full grim reaper and cut him loose vs. getting stuck with a second contract like we did with Sanchez...

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Honestly last years roster could have been an improvement but starting in training camp Becton, Moore, AVT had late starts and the. injury avalanche started. 
 

Is woody patient enough this time ?   
 

first time HC, OC, DC, rookie QB they sold woody on last year ad basically a throw away investment year. 
 

with the picks and money, there needs to be pretty obvious improvement, or woody will probably lose his patience again the billboards will go up and 

lather, rinse, repeat 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, Green Ghost said:

So the Rams traded draft picks almost as fast as they could get them. Signed a team full of older, highly paid FA’s, disregarding the cap along the way. They pushed all their chips into the middle of the table… Super Bowl or bust. They came up aces, and are World Champions. Nobody can ever take that away from them. On the down side you’d have to say their window will close very soon.

The Jets haven’t made the playoffs in 10 years. In this most recent rebuild, they decided to tear the entire team apart, and start from scratch. We are coming off two seasons with a combined 6 wins, but have a bunch of cap space, a load of draft picks, and we drafted a QB last year. On the downside, the QB wasn’t very good in his rookie year, and the GM has had one nightmarish draft and one that was pretty good.

Take your pick.
Would you be happy getting what will probably be on Super Bowl and one, maybe two years to try to win another before everything falls apart…

 Or would you rather roll the dice, hoping your team can build up a roster that could contend for 5-10 years?

Ask Bill Parcells.  He can answer this question and tell you how failure ruins the team for a generation.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The Rams built a perennial playoff team first through the draft between 5-8 years ago.  They made the playoffs in 2017, 2018 (SB) , 2020, and this season.  They played a nip and tuck game vs the Pats in the SB three years ago and it was a one score game until late.  They only started to trade draft picks for players in 2019.  They did the same thing the Jets and Bengals did to build a team. The only difference is how long ago they did it.  The Rams build a playoff team through the draft and then added key pieces later.  The idea that the Rams were built outside of the draft is a fallacy.  The Bengals only had two more starters  drafted by them (12) than the Rams (10).  

  • Upvote 1
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, Green Ghost said:

So the Rams traded draft picks almost as fast as they could get them. Signed a team full of older, highly paid FA’s, disregarding the cap along the way. They pushed all their chips into the middle of the table… Super Bowl or bust. They came up aces, and are World Champions. Nobody can ever take that away from them. On the down side you’d have to say their window will close very soon.

The Jets haven’t made the playoffs in 10 years. In this most recent rebuild, they decided to tear the entire team apart, and start from scratch. We are coming off two seasons with a combined 6 wins, but have a bunch of cap space, a load of draft picks, and we drafted a QB last year. On the downside, the QB wasn’t very good in his rookie year, and the GM has had one nightmarish draft and one that was pretty good.

Take your pick.
Would you be happy getting what will probably be on Super Bowl and one, maybe two years to try to win another before everything falls apart…

 Or would you rather roll the dice, hoping your team can build up a roster that could contend for 5-10 years?

Bound by Hatred by Cora Reilly

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The Rams built that team up and once they had an option to upgrade the QB position with someone who they felt confident they could win it with, they went all in and pulled the trigger.

For us, we are still building the team + evaluating whether Zack is the guy or not.

If our team is a contender in a couple of seasons but Zack ain't it, we should absolutely cut bait and spend whatever is necessary for the QB that will put us over the top...but not yet.

If we traded for Stafford this past offseason with this roster...he would have looked like the Detroit Stafford and we'd still be in last place.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:

The Rams built that team up and once they had an option to upgrade the QB position with someone who they felt confident they could win it with, they went all in and pulled the trigger.

For us, we are still building the team + evaluating whether Zack is the guy or not.

If our team is a contender in a couple of seasons but Zack ain't it, we should absolutely cut bait and spend whatever is necessary for the QB that will put us over the top...but not yet.

If we traded for Stafford this past offseason with this roster...he would have looked like the Detroit Stafford and we'd still be in last place.

Agreed.  And I would add that we tried it the Rams way in 2008 - 10.  Maybe not as extreme as the Rams in giving up #1s, but we traded picks for Thomas Jones, Favre, Jenkins, Holmes, Edwards, Cromartie. -- maybe a couple of others I have forgotten  We had a solid team and went all in.  Unfortunately for us, the veteran QB only lasted a year and we tried to do it with a rookie after that.  Came close, but didn't get it done.  I have no issue with that approach. 

Once you are a contender with a veteran team, go all in to win it all.  We are not close to that level right now.

  • Upvote 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share



×
×
  • Create New...