Big night for Zach Wilson last night

HawkeyeJet

2 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

No one is claiming he played as well as the MVP of the NFL. No one is claiming he was on his level.  

The fact that he and Zach are the only two to not throw INT's the final 5 weeks is an interesting statistic.   Not everything has to be about finding a way to attack the kid.

It truly amazes me how fans can relentlessly attack players on their team and refuse to accept ANYTHING positive.    It's sad really.

My point is that you can't look at that stat in isolation.  Heck, Mike White threw 0 INTs those last 5 games too.

Mac Jones threw 0 INTs the game where they ran the ball practically every down against Buffalo.  

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

On 2/14/2022 at 1:15 PM, HawkeyeJet said:

In a very important item of note, Zach Wilson was quite the hot topic on Twitter last night.

He was trending nationwide as a result of a combination of tweets about him(and Berrios, Allen, Dak, Kittle, CMC and Dalvin Cook) partying with Cindy Crawford and tweets about how Matthew Stafford failed miserably compared to Wilson at the ole “point and throw.”

This is obviously a huge development for him and his ability to become a franchise QB.

My slightly serious take is that I do like the fact that he’s at least progressed from the butt of every joke to someone people seem to like at least on some level.

Tweets don't mean jack-sh-t in the grand scheme of things . Only online morons care about tweets .

21 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

No, I'm from northern NJ.  I came to Wilmington, NC in 2004 for school (UNCW) and ended up sticking around.  In July, my wife and I will be moving to the Raleigh area.

But yes, the NC education system (up until you get to higher ed), with few exceptions, pretty much sucks.  When the wife and I end up having a kid or 2, we'll be shooting for private school or home schooling.  lol.

Thank god I'm moving out of the Raleigh area once my wife retires next year lmao....  Would have been nice to know that I would be able to make fun of you closer...

JK... good luck on the move, it's a nice area north of Raleigh, and also south of Chapel Hill near Pittsboro. It's growing like a weed in the Pittsboro area.  Good golf at Chapel Ridge.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, 68JET11 said:

Thank god I'm moving out of the Raleigh area once my wife retires next year lmao....  Would have been nice to know that I would be able to make fun of you closer...

JK... good luck on the move, it's a nice area north of Raleigh, and also south of Chapel Hill near Pittsboro. It's growing like a weed in the Pittsboro area.  Good golf at Chapel Ridge.

Thanks man.  My wife, fortunately, has for several years owned a condo in a good location that we'll be able to live in while we look for a house.  Buys us some time to save up.

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Thanks man.  My wife, fortunately, has for several years owned a condo in a good location that we'll be able to live in while we look for a house.  Buys us some time to save up.

Great area to live.  We rented a house cause I knew it was only a couple of years.  That was a dumb choice cause I would have loved to stay but the housing boom we missed out on made me choose Texas lol.   (Which has also been great)  

I loved the lakes and public land being close, with the Outerbanks being close enough for weekends.   Cool people everywhere.  If I had to move again I’d try to get back.   

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Hal N of Provo said:

Great area to live.  We rented a house cause I knew it was only a couple of years.  That was a dumb choice cause I would have loved to stay but the housing boom we missed out on made me choose Texas lol.   (Which has also been great)  

I loved the lakes and public land being close, with the Outerbanks being close enough for weekends.   Cool people everywhere.  If I had to move again I’d try to get back.   

I like it here too, but our house is much bigger than I want to be in with just the 2 of us. I can't keep up with the yard work, and landscapers cost and arm and a leg around here. Who would have thought that moving from NJ. That and I want to be closer to the water for my next boat. It's 2-1/2 hours just to get to New Bern, or Washington NC, and then another 2 hours to the outer banks. One other decision factor is that SC and GA have much better tax advantages for seniors than NC, so either of those 2 places are where we're going to look. With prices of houses now, I need to get as much out of the house we built in 2016 that I can before the market blows up.

• Upvote 2

55 minutes ago, 68JET11 said:

I like it here too, but our house is much bigger than I want to be in with just the 2 of us. I can't keep up with the yard work, and landscapers cost and arm and a leg around here. Who would have thought that moving from NJ. That and I want to be closer to the water for my next boat. It's 2-1/2 hours just to get to New Bern, or Washington NC, and then another 2 hours to the outer banks. One other decision factor is that SC and GA have much better tax advantages for seniors than NC, so either of those 2 places are where we're going to look. With prices of houses now, I need to get as much out of the house we built in 2016 that I can before the market blows up.

Either spot will be great.   Sounds like you are living my dream retirement lol   

Texas property taxes might make me want to leave when the time comes.  I love fishing and I am starting to pile up fishing spots around here, so I’ll probably want to stay for that lol.  San Antonio to my favorite spots on the coast is 2 to 2-1/2 hours, so I’d be happy to stay in my house.  There is a good trout river and lake close for quick trips.  

I’ve never had a boat.  You can wade to great spots in the flats down here, but if they happen not to be biting you can’t try many spots in a day without a boat.  I’d love a couple of big live wells too.  It’s a pain keeping bait alive in the summer lol.  I’m getting ready to finally buy a boat, but I’m still a long way away from being able to use it as much as I’d like lol.  

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Hal N of Provo said:

Either spot will be great.   Sounds like you are living my dream retirement lol   

Texas property taxes might make me want to leave when the time comes.  I love fishing and I am starting to pile up fishing spots around here, so I’ll probably want to stay for that lol.  San Antonio to my favorite spots on the coast is 2 to 2-1/2 hours, so I’d be happy to stay in my house.  There is a good trout river and lake close for quick trips.  

I’ve never had a boat.  You can wade to great spots in the flats down here, but if they happen not to be biting you can’t try many spots in a day without a boat.  I’d love a couple of big live wells too.  It’s a pain keeping bait alive in the summer lol.  I’m getting ready to finally buy a boat, but I’m still a long way away from being able to use it as much as I’d like lol.  

I"m not a big fisherman, I use my last boat in NJ for pleasure. I had a 2003 Sea Ray Sundancer 320. It was the best 7 years of my life. I never thought I'd ever get one because I never had one, but a friend of mine asked me if I wanted to go into boating. I was a BIG YES on that, so we bought a $6000 boat up in New Hampshire together and I learned a lot for the first year we shared it. I liked it so much I convinced the wife to get our own, and that's when we bought the 320. We used to ride share at our Marina so each of the friends would take our boats out each weekend so we didn't all waste gas. I had a Jetski also which was fun as well. I never thought when I first started playing golf that there would be something to replace that sport, but boating was it. I still played golf those 7 years, however maybe once or twice a month instead of 3 times a week. I would leave work in Newark on Thursday nites and head to my boat. Sleep on it, then break out my laptop and work from the boat on Friday, and as soon as I was done, break out some bear, and relax and wait for the rest of my dock buddies to get down. Like I said, it was the best 7 years of my life. I made a promise when I moved to NC to the wife not to buy one until we retired, and I'm so mad at myself for making that promise, cause I miss it so much. Here's a pic of my baby in NJ.

IMG_6198.thumb.jpg.90785627bb2415e88a7af0ebca050adf.jpg

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

17 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

OK then.  Folks like you, Fidelio, and Dan Orlovsky can trust solely that "eye test" at your own peril.  Good luck with that.

Are you suggesting that Zach passed the eye test to anybody? If anything, a lot of stats are the only reason many of us have hope in him. Poor Throw % was so spread out between players that it wasn't really relevant. That's the point people are trying to make. If you want to use stats to help make your point, use ones that actually say something.Poor Throw % said nothing about Zach, just as it said nothing about any other QB in the NFL.

3 hours ago, Hex said:

Are you suggesting that Zach passed the eye test to anybody? If anything, a lot of stats are the only reason many of us have hope in him. Poor Throw % was so spread out between players that it wasn't really relevant. That's the point people are trying to make. If you want to use stats to help make your point, use ones that actually say something.Poor Throw % said nothing about Zach, just as it said nothing about any other QB in the NFL.

So which stats WERE meaningful, exactly?    And why do people think they can decide which metrics can be ruled out from the discussion?  

Because saying he didn’t throw INTs, while encouraging when compared to his play earlier in the season, doesn’t say much when you look a little closer.  It’s fairly easy to avoid INTs when you’re not taking chances downfield.  Wilson was # 31 in air yards per attempt during that same stretch. 

Just now, Jetsfan80 said:

So which stats WERE meaningful, exactly?    And why do people think they can decide which metrics can be ruled out from the discussion?  

Because saying he didn’t throw INTs, while encouraging when compared to his play earlier in the season, doesn’t say much when you look a little closer.  It’s fairly easy to avoid INTs when you’re not taking chances downfield.  Wilson was # 31 in air yards per attempt during that same stretch. 

TD:INT before and after injury. This puts the no INTs into context while looking at how his play changed

To me it looks like Zach tried taking chances downfield like he did at BYU and it failed miserably. He realized he was going to have to learn how to protect the ball before learning how to push it downfield in a way that doesn't cause turnovers. I expect to see this change in his 2nd year. This ratio is also consistent between other players and paints a good picture.