Top WRs being from smaller/ medium or lessers chools....

Beerfish

Raymond Berry - SMU

Marvin Harrison - Syracuse

Calvin Johnson - Georiga Tech

Larry Fitzgerald  Pittsburgh

Terrel Owens - Chattanooga

Steve Largent - Tulsa

Randy Moss - Marshall

Jerry Rice - Mississippi Valley State

Antonio Brown - Central Michgan

Cooper Kupp - Eastern Washington

So....the temptation is to always elevate guys from the big boys and have ?'s about smaller school guys.  (level of competition)

I think level of competition is less of a factor at wr than most other positions. 

4 hours ago, Beerfish said:

Raymond Berry - SMU

Marvin Harrison - Syracuse

Calvin Johnson - Georiga Tech

Larry Fitzgerald  Pittsburgh

Terrel Owens - Chattanooga

Steve Largent - Tulsa

Randy Moss - Marshall

Jerry Rice - Mississippi Valley State

Antonio Brown - Central Michgan

Cooper Kupp - Eastern Washington

So....the temptation is to always elevate guys from the big boys and have ?'s about smaller school guys.  (level of competition)

I think level of competition is less of a factor at wr than most other positions. 

Christian Watson Anyone?! 

• Upvote 2

Counting stats are overrated for wide receivers. Proportion of passing game production is imperfect but better.

Guys from smaller schools probably don’t have elite guys throwing them the ball, lines to give the quarterback time, etc. Numbers aren’t quite as good, or if they are then it’s pretty obvious the guy is special (Fitzgerald and Johnson being the recent ones).

58 minutes ago, derp said:

Counting stats are overrated for wide receivers. Proportion of passing game production is imperfect but better.

Guys from smaller schools probably don’t have elite guys throwing them the ball, lines to give the quarterback time, etc. Numbers aren’t quite as good, or if they are then it’s pretty obvious the guy is special (Fitzgerald and Johnson being the recent ones).

Yeah agreed. could we name any of the Qbs throwing to a lot of these guys in college without doing a lot of googling?

this is why the shrine game and senior bowl end up being really big for a lot of these smaller school guys.  You have a better QB throwing to you and you can show your skills against higher competition.  This is why so many skill guys take a jump after these events. 

WR is an interesting position, because stats wise you are usually very dependent on others (QB and OL). However, none of those factor into building the skill necessary to be an elite WR.  Most of it is break point development drills, juggs machine, odd ball catching, hand eye coordination work, hand strengthening.  

You honestly can develop most of your game on your own without a QB or playing organized football.  Now eventuallly you need the experience of playing against a defender, reading coverage, and understanding leverage.  But a lot of the skill development can be done on your own which is different than a lot of other positions. 

On 2/17/2022 at 1:22 PM, Chrebetfan80 said:

this is why the shrine game and senior bowl end up being really big for a lot of these smaller school guys.  You have a better QB throwing to you and you can show your skills against higher competition.  This is why so many skill guys take a jump after these events. 

On 2/17/2022 at 1:22 PM, Chrebetfan80 said:

WR is an interesting position, because stats wise you are usually very dependent on others (QB and OL). However, none of those factor into building the skill necessary to be an elite WR.  Most of it is break point development drills, juggs machine, odd ball catching, hand eye coordination work, hand strengthening.  

You honestly can develop most of your game on your own without a QB or playing organized football.  Now eventuallly you need the experience of playing against a defender, reading coverage, and understanding leverage.  But a lot of the skill development can be done on your own which is different than a lot of other positions. 

Quick Twitch ability, contested catch %, dropped ball %, YAC and ST ability are what you’re looking for with these later round picks . Place them all in a pot, stir them up and see who is among the top players  

• Upvote 1

There’s solid WR talent & depth players that JD can draft in the 2nd-4th rounds:

Trey Burks -Ark

David Bell - Purdue

Jahan Dotson - PSU

skyy Moore - West Michigan 

Jalen Tolbert - Alabama state

Romeo Dubbs - Nevada

Pickens - UGA

Alec Pierce - Cincy

Charleston Rambo - The U

Metchie - Alabama 

Khalil Shakir - Boise St

Jets should come out of this draft with Drake London and one of the WRs mentioned above along with a TE

13 hours ago, 92ShaunEllis92 said:

There’s solid WR talent & depth players that JD can draft in the 2nd-4th rounds:

Trey Burks -Ark

David Bell - Purdue

Jahan Dotson - PSU

Romeo Dubbs - Nevada

Pickens - UGA

Alec Pierce - Cincy

Charleston Rambo - The U

Metchie - Alabama 

Khalil Shakir - Boise St

Jets should come out of this draft with Drake London and one of the WRs mentioned above along with a TE

I've been working my way through the projected mid-round receivers. In addition to Christian Watson and Alex Pierce, I really am liking Khalil Shakir. I think he would be a really nice fit in the Jets' scheme, and a potential great value pick on day 3.

https://youtu.be/Hg2a6A7L-VA

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, 92ShaunEllis92 said:

Trey Burks -Ark

David Bell - Purdue

Jahan Dotson - PSU

Romeo Dubbs - Nevada

Pickens - UGA

Alec Pierce - Cincy

Charleston Rambo - The U

Metchie - Alabama 

Khalil Shakir - Boise St

I cant see Burks making it past the first. Id like to get him in a Deebo role as the Jets pick at #10. Other than that I like Pierce, Watson, and Bell if WR is not selected in the first. 

On 2/22/2022 at 8:14 PM, 92ShaunEllis92 said:

Trey Burks -Ark

David Bell - Purdue

Jahan Dotson - PSU

Romeo Dubbs - Nevada

Pickens - UGA

Alec Pierce - Cincy

Charleston Rambo - The U

Metchie - Alabama 

Khalil Shakir - Boise St

Dontario Drummond still flyin' low

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, Paradis said:

Dontario Drummond still flyin' low

Justyn Ross..... still really curious how he runs at combine w/ foot rehab. and still like the idea of looking at him later in draft as long as his neck is good. 

any inside info here? can't find much 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Stark said:

Justyn Ross..... still really curious how he runs at combine w/ foot rehab. and still like the idea of looking at him later in draft as long as his neck is good. 

any inside info here? can't find much 

@sec101row23 has offered some thoughts on the oddity of what he was asked to do in the offense this past year -- but i think it's just hard to gauge his value. There's scintillating freshman film, then the "red flag" variety of injuries, followed up with a flat finish. 

Depending on how some private workouts go and interviews, some team (I'll hazard a guess) will develop a "we can harness the Ross" type man-crush -- and not want to leave him hanging around on day 3, and make him a late round three pick.

*shrugs* 

On 2/23/2022 at 3:14 PM, 92ShaunEllis92 said:

Trey Burks -Ark

David Bell - Purdue

Jahan Dotson - PSU

Romeo Dubbs - Nevada

Pickens - UGA

Alec Pierce - Cincy

Charleston Rambo - The U

Metchie - Alabama 

Khalil Shakir - Boise St

Starting to hear some buzz about Dotson being a late first round pick now.

12 hours ago, Paradis said:

@sec101row23 has offered some thoughts on the oddity of what he was asked to do in the offense this past year -- but i think it's just hard to gauge his value. There's scintillating freshman film, then the "red flag" variety of injuries, followed up with a flat finish. 

Depending on how some private workouts go and interviews, some team (I'll hazard a guess) will develop a "we can harness the Ross" type man-crush -- and not want to leave him hanging around on day 3, and make him a late round three pick.

*shrugs* 

yup. I think I read that post about his role in offense. 

every mock I look at, or try to click through I keep seeing his name so damn late. I still like the ability and have kind of started to talk myself into scenarios where he's one of the JETS 4th round picks. 

I saw where he's working out again and training working to show his long speed and catch ability.... 

18 hours ago, Aussie Jet said:

Starting to hear some buzz about Dotson being a late first round pick now.

Dotson has a lot of E. Moore to his game, better college tape even... 

But not sure anyone is "rising" in the middle of February.  I find reports about "sources" and "buzz"  of evolving views and rankings -- to be laughable. Granted, i've never worked in an NFL front office, but the notion that teams are doing anything but developing a sense of WHO these players are, seems completely ridiculous. Until the combine/proday/workouts happen,  its just names on boards. I'd wager Dotson could be as high as WR3 or 4 on some teams list (depending on the make up of their WR room) and as low as WR7 or 8 on others. If there's legit "buzz" then really all that means in that some Jeremiah type has confirmed that Dotson is well liked (and always has been). They're just figuring that out, for example. that NFL teams like Dotson more than they thought they did... I expect Dotson's name to higher in 6 weeks than it is now, and Olave's to be lot lower.   

12 hours ago, Stark said:

yup. I think I read that post about his role in offense. 

every mock I look at, or try to click through I keep seeing his name so damn late. I still like the ability and have kind of started to talk myself into scenarios where he's one of the JETS 4th round picks. 

I saw where he's working out again and training working to show his long speed and catch ability.... 

There's a nice cluster of round 3-4 WRs the Jets could maybe have to choose from. 

• George Pickens if we're lucky
  • Dontario Drummond
  • Jaleen Tolbert
  • Justyn Ross
  • Upvote 2

On 2/22/2022 at 11:14 PM, 92ShaunEllis92 said:

Trey Burks -Ark

David Bell - Purdue

Jahan Dotson - PSU

Romeo Dubbs - Nevada

Pickens - UGA

Alec Pierce - Cincy

Charleston Rambo - The U

Metchie - Alabama 

Khalil Shakir - Boise St

You left off Christian Watson who I think can be this years Claypool.  6'5 with sub 4.4 speed. Depending on how he performs in the Combine, he could get into the top of the second round and maybe even sneak into the end of round although I doubt it.    This guy would be PERFECT for Wilson as is he a GREAT deep ball receiver and red zone target.  He would be an excellent compliment to Moore.  If we were to come away with a McBride and Watson, I would be really stoked!  Add a later round gem like Kyle Phillips and maybe another TE like Cole Turner and Wilson will be set for offense weapons for years to come. 

• Upvote 1