Top 10 guard targets for NY Jets between free agency and NFL draft

Bronx

Who can fill the New York Jets’ right guard position?

The New York Jets offensive line has made some steady progress the last two years. Heading into 2022, the unit has four out of its five spots filled with an expected starter under contract.

Starting on the outside, George Fant and Mekhi Becton are set to be the two tackles. Who starts on which side will be determined during training camp. On the inside, Alijah Vera-Tucker is locked in at left guard while Connor McGovern should be back at center.

Overall, the group is solid. Adding a quality starter at right guard is the next step for the unit to reach a new level.

In the draft, there are three top-tier offensive line prospects who could be in play for the Jets in the first round with either of their two selections (No. 4 and No. 10). On the pro side, there will be multiple options for the Jets in free agency if they choose that route.

Let’s take a look at the 10 best right guards for the Jets will be between the expected free-agent market and the 2022 NFL draft.

10. Laurent Duvernay-Tardif, New York Jets

The Jets’ own right guard to wrap up the 2021 season, Laurent Duvernay-Tardif, is slated to hit the market. Bringing back Duvernay-Tardif could be a smart move for a few key reasons.

Duvernay-Tardif is a capable veteran who now has experience in the system. He provided an instant boost to the running game when he entered the starting lineup in Week 11.

Re-signing Duvernay-Tardif to a shorter-term deal does not rule out the possibility of drafting a long-term answer if the opportunity presents itself. Ideally, he could provide stellar guard depth.

9. Connor Williams, Dallas Cowboys

Connor Williams is one of the more polarizing players currently set to hit the unrestricted free-agent market.

Williams provides plenty of starting experience. Throughout his four-year career, he has appeared in 57 games and has 51 starts (3,510 total snaps). In 2021, he only allowed one sack which helped him earn a 76.1 overall grade from Pro Football Focus (ranking 9th-best out of 70 qualified guards).

However, Williams has a tendency to commit too many penalties. He has a total of 30 in his career (7.5 per season) and recorded a career-high of 14 last season. No player in the NFL had more (regardless of position).

He is an inconsistent player but will only be turning 25 in May. Williams could improve in a better situation.

8. Austin Corbett, Los Angeles Rams

Austin Corbett is arguably the most underrated option on this list.

Corbett started all 39 regular season and playoff games for the Rams over the last two seasons. Corbett played 100% of the team’s snaps in 2020 (1,119) and 99% in 2021 (1,080). Availability is a huge bonus when it comes to Corbett.

The Nevada product plays in an offensive scheme that is similar to what the Jets run under offensive coordinator Mike LaFleur. Over the last two seasons, Corbett has allowed only four sacks and committed only seven penalties (two in 2021).

Corbett earned an overall PFF grade of 68.8 for the year, placing him 25th out of 70 qualified guards. Set to turn 27 in September, he would be a savvy addition to the offensive line.

7. Brandon Scherff, Washington Commanders

Since the last year he played on his rookie contract in 2019, Brandon Scherff has been a player Jets fans have linked to the team in one offseason after the next. He was franchise-tagged in both 2020 and 2021. Finally, he appears set to hit the open market.

The seven-year veteran has started all 89 games he has played in the league (5,681 snaps). Unfortunately, in every season since 2018, he has missed at least three games. In 2021, he played 11 games.

Scherff committed five penalties last year. He earned an overall grade of 73.6 at PFF, ranking 14th out of 70 qualifiers. Scherff did not allow a sack on the year.

Scherff will turn 31 in December. With his age and durability concerns, it will be interesting to see if Jets general manager Joe Douglas shows interest in Scherff.

6. Laken Tomlinson, San Francisco 49ers

Laken Tomlinson just had possibly the best year of his career. He did it in essentially the same offensive scheme the Jets run which would make the transition a seamless one. Jets offensive coordinator Mike LaFleur shared four years in San Francisco with Tomlinson (2017-20).

Tomlinson was acquired by the 49ers in 2017. Over the last five years, he only missed one start, which was in his first season with the team. He’s played in 86 consecutive regular season and playoff games, and would provide the Jets with great week-to-week reliability with his availability.

PFF assigned Tomlinson with a 75.9 overall grade for the 2021 campaign, ranking 10th out of 70 qualified guards. He was great in pass protection, only allowing two sacks.

Tomlinson is entering his eighth season and just turned 30. He is on the older side but would still be an upgrade for the Jets, all while offering scheme familiarity and excellent durability.

5. James Daniels, Chicago Bears

James Daniels just had his best season with the Bears.

After a season-ending pectoral injury in 2020, Daniels started all 17 games for the Bears in 2021 (1,122 snaps).

Daniels got a 71.0 grade from PFF in 2021, placing 19th out of 70 qualifiers. He only allowed three sacks. On the other hand, he committed nine penalties. Daniels is still very young and offers excellent athleticism, giving him the upside to improve.

In September, Daniels will only be turning 25. He is a talented player who should continue to grow. It will be intriguing to see if the Jets show interest in Daniels.

4. Alex Cappa, Tampa Bay Buccaneers

The best out of all the free agents on the list, Alex Cappa has been a three-year starter for the Buccaneers (46 career starts). Cappa has played 100% of the team’s snaps in each of the last two years (2,253 total snaps).

Cappa earned a PFF grade of 74.2 in 2021, settling in at 12th out of 70 qualifiers. He allowed five sacks but it’s worth noting that he played the third-most pass-blocking snaps of any guard (796) and only committed one penalty the entire year.

The penalty amount is not a fluke, either. In 2020, he only had one penalty as well. Cappa would bring great discipline to the Jets offensive line.

Cappa recently turned 27 and is likely just hitting his prime. He would be a fantastic signing for the Jets.

3. Zion Johnson, Boston College

After seven veterans to start, the top of this list is rounded out by the youth that is entering the upcoming draft.

Zion Johnson is an exciting prospect that just had a great week at the Senior Bowl. After transferring from Davidson to Boston College in 2019, he went on to play in 36 games over the last three seasons (2,288 snaps).

Last year, Johnson earned a PFF grade of 84.4. As a pass blocker, he made a ton of progress. From 2020 to 2021, his total number of hurries allowed decreased drastically from 14 to three. His total of QB hits allowed dropped from six to two and his total of sacks allowed also went down from two to one.

Johnson was a team captain at Boston College. His stock has increased greatly over the last month. If the Jets trade down from the 10th pick, Johnson could be a top option in the middle of the first round.

2. Kenyon Green, Texas A&M

Kenyon Green is a talented offensive lineman with versatility. Green started all 35 games he played in at Texas A&M over the last three years. He was a captain for his team last season.

Green was a successful blocker for Texas A&M wherever he lined up. Over his three years with the Aggies, he played 1,098 snaps at left guard, 853 snaps at right guard, 142 snaps at right tackle, 81 snaps at left tackle, and even one snap at center.

The two-time consensus All-American possesses a great anchor as a pass blocker. He has a good overall frame for a right guard (6-foot-4, 325 pounds). To go along with his size and strength, Green is a good athlete who would fit the Jets’ zone running scheme.

Green will only be turning 21 in March. He is a relatively safe prospect who could be an option at 10 but is more likely to be in play for the Jets with a trade down from the 10th pick.

1. Ikem Ekwonu, N.C. State

In my article looking at EDGE targets, I highlighted Oregon prospect Kayvon Thibodeaux as the Jets’ best option not only at his position but in the entire draft. After him, North Carolina State’s Ikem Ekwonu is the second-best potential prospect for the Jets to select with the fourth overall pick in the draft.

Ekwonu is a physical player who brings a mauling presence in the running game. For someone as big and strong as he is, Ekwonu possesses athleticism that allows him to be successful as a pass blocker. Ekwonu can also move in space and be successful. He would fit well in the Jets’ offensive scheme. 

With Fant and Becton as the two tackles, Ekwonu – who mostly played left tackle in his Wolfpack career – could fit in perfectly at right guard. Ekwonu does possess the versatility to play inside as he logged 239 snaps at left guard in 2020.

The Jets will likely have to take Ekwonu at No. 4 in order to land him.

Honorable Mentions

Projected Unrestricted Free Agents

• Trai Turner, Pittsburgh Steelers
  • Andrew Norwell, Jacksonville Jaguars
  • Mark Glowinski, Indianapolis Colts

Draft Prospects

• Darian Kinnard, Kentucky
  • Sean Rhyan, UCLA
  • Tyler Smith, Tulsa

www.jetsxfactor.com

• Upvote 2

the jets certainly still need some good players on the oline to start and for depth but they really need to be thinking about getting impact players with the 4 and 10 picks.  anything less might be a wasted draft. i think i'd thorw corner into the mix of players that should be considered in round 1.  i look at the rams and see ramsey basically taking the best wr and doing a good job of guarding.  yeah i get he got burned on the higgins td (thanks to a non call) but he was still in position to make a play.  same thing on chase.  but i also saw kupp basically winning that game by being the only reliable receiver stafford had going down the stretch.  and, of course, the rams pass rush also stymied the bungles at the end when it counted.

• Upvote 3

The best case scenario is Thibs drops to 4 because Ekwonu and Neal went in the top 3, then Zion falls to the 2nd round. The likely move in that scenario would be the Jets needing to trade back up into the first for Zion because I don’t think he lasts to the Jets pick in the second.

I have no problems going after Tomlinson in FA but I’d prefer to throw money at the WR, TE, and S positions. Say the Jets do sign a G and a TE… Hamilton would have to be in play if the top 2 pass rushers are off the board and the OL has been addressed

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, 32EBoozer said:

I can’t See us going offensive line in the first round. Fant needs a new contract, Becton will need to have his fifth year option decided after this season. AVT & ZW will need new contracts in the same year down the road. 

That’s a lot of big contracts. JD needs to find inexpensive gems in FA and the latter rounds of the draft for replenishing the OL year after year. 

Edge and WR position in Rd. 1 is the value play. What actually happens is why JD making the big money. 

Let's say that JD drafts a gem OL in the 5th round.  He's still going to need to get paid in a few years anyway though, no?

• Upvote 3

Some interesting options there ... I'd like us to keep LDT as a possible starter / quality depth, as it doesn't limit our options later on like a big name FA signing would. Tomlinson, Daniels etc as FA signings I would also get behind.

But please, no Scherff. His price tag and his injuries are not a good combination right now.

• Upvote 3

42 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

If JD drafts Ikwonu to play RG he would have used the 14th, 66th and 86th overall picks in the 2021 draft and the 4th overall pick in 2022 to fill RG and LG positions.   That’s a s**t load of draft capital to fill the guard positions.  

Ikem can move outside next year.

• Upvote 1

55 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

If JD drafts Ikwonu to play RG he would have used the 14th, 66th and 86th overall picks in the 2021 draft and the 4th overall pick in 2022 to fill RG and LG positions.   That’s a s**t load of draft capital to fill the guard positions.  

Totally agree, but ekwonu adds value if he can play tackle and provides insurance against becton. That’s what you’re paying the #4 pick for, not necessarily a pure guard (that was AVT last year).

• Upvote 2

Solid?  Really?! 

I agree they improved but they are far from solid.

I consider Fant serviceable.  Yet, I never expected him to remain healthy.  The risk is still there.

Conner is decent at best.  This is also a glaring hole in my opinion.

The way I see it we still need at least 2, maybe 3, on the OL.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

Honestly, if you take Ik you do it for him to play OT.

In general, there are a lot of good guards available as FA this year. Bag one innFA then draft another in middle-rounds. 

Use #4 on a premium position if you honestly believe in Becton. That said, there is no chance I’d come into this season looking at Becton as anything other than a high-upside depth player. He cannot stay in the field. 

according to PFF Ik apparently has some pretty fundamental issues with pass pro on tape....i dont know if they are right or wrong...but would at least imply that he is not a shoe in OT rookie year. everyone has said that he is a mean, mauling type run game OL.

2 hours ago, sec101row23 said:

huh?  the jets only draft avt in 2021 for a guard spot and drafted becton and cam clark for tackle in 2020.  i don't see where the jets have used a s**t load of draft capital on oline.

never mind, i get it.  they traded up for avt.  still that's not a s**t ton of draft for rg or lg.  they targeted one player and he didn't disappoint.

2 minutes ago, rangerous said:

never mind, i get it.  they traded up for avt.  still that's not a s**t ton of draft for rg or lg.  they targeted one player and he didn't disappoint.

It is a ****ton, already. They spent a late first and two thirds on a guard. That’s a lot. Turning around and spending a higher first on another guard would be ridiculous. 

Really happy AVT is working out, but that was a huge investment at a relatively low value position. 

• Upvote 4

I don't have a big issue with this cause guys like Zach Martin and Quenton Nelson make a huge difference, and if you can hit on one, that would be awesome. Hopefully AVT is that guy.

That being said, I prefer to draft a WR with one of the first two picks.

• Upvote 2

Why in the world assume that Becton is penciled in as the starter at RT?  The Jets shouldn't assume he does anything this next year, even if he is currently working out hard now and getting into shape (is he?).  He keeps getting injured.

The Jets should definitely draft an OT fairly early, but not necessarily in the first round.  Even if Becton looks good this offseason and/or the Jets get Moses or another hold the fort vet, they need a young swing tackle for instant depth and who can eventually start if needed.  Edoga and McDermott are garbage.

As for RG, how about drafting a good young C somewhere in rounds 1-3 and moving McGovern to RG?  Also increases depth as CM could slide back to C if the young one gets hurt.

• Upvote 3

Laken Tomlinson would make sense if the plan was to kick AVT out to LT. But that's not happening. 

James Daniels is a one year wonder (an average year) who's still young. Has he figured everything out or will he revert back to his poor play once signed? Regardless he's certainly a scheme fit. 

Brandon Scherff is certainly the guy we should target. Plus there's this talk about INJ stigma that he has that should reduce his cash earnings. If we can get 14-15 games from him per season, I'll take it. 

Zion Johnson would only make sense in the 2nd round, however that's a good area for us to save that slot to upgrade our pass catchers. No FA WR/TE who's worth anything would be desperate enough to sign up to catch from Wilson at this time.

So at RG, hopefully Daniels, Scherff or Duvernay-Tardif suits up week 1.

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, 32EBoozer said:

I can’t See us going offensive line in the first round. Fant needs a new contract, Becton will need to have his fifth year option decided after this season. AVT & ZW will need new contracts in the same year down the road. 

That’s a lot of big contracts. JD needs to find inexpensive gems in FA and the latter rounds of the draft for replenishing the OL year after year. 

Edge and WR position in Rd. 1 is the value play. What actually happens is why JD making the big money. 

I agree with you on this, but if we decide to move on from Becton, Ekwonu, in essence, would replace that big OL contract that will be needed.  The next few weeks will be interesting.  If Becton stays, I don't see how we go OL.  I just don't. 

• Upvote 1

I’m always suspicious of guys who leave winning programs to come here, and don’t like the penalty guys so I don’t love the FA class. 

I’d rather have Green at 10 and live with “reaching for a need” than any of the WR or CB prospects tbh

Ekwonu is the obvious monster G/T. If we get one of the top 2 Pass Rushers at 4 and Ekwonu is still sitting there at 10 I think its a no-brainer. However, that is unlikely.

Scherff, Tomlinson and Daniels would be great but also unlikely.

I really like Kinnard. The more I think about it the more I feel like odds are we end up with a draft many fans were not expecting. I suspect while everyone wants McBride at 35 the Jets will be targeting Ruckert in Rd. 3 and could take a guy like Kinnard at 35 instead. He has value as a versatile G/T prospect and would be worth the selection there. I think while people will be screaming for a WR, the Jets will punt on one in Rd. 1 and potentially not take one until much later, having addressed the position in FA.

Barring a trade we could see something like this and Jet fans will be livid:

Rd. 1a: Hamilton

Rd. 1b: Johnson II

Rd. 2a: Kinnard/top G/T prospect

Rd. 2b: C.Harris

Rd. 3: J.Ruckert

Rd. 4: maybe WR, and so on...     

1 hour ago, slats said:

I’d be down with Daniels or maybe Cappa if they want to try to upgrade from LDT but, seriously, screw their #1 option because it’s stupid. The Jets do not need and should not draft an OL in the first round, let alone #4 overall. What the Jets are in serious need of is pass rushers. I don’t understand how all you OL worshippers fail to take notice of the reason you want players capable of blocking; it’s largely to combat the other team’s pass rush! The Jets don’t have one of those. They just switched from over two decades of running a 3-4 to running a 4-3 scheme predicated on getting to the passer with the front four. The OL is fine, what they need to do is disrupt the other team’s OL and get to the QB. 

Pass rushers and pass catchers. Priorities #1, 2, & 3. 

Honestly, it's a fine FA list altogether, I'd be happy with anyone of them but if these guys who just had their best season during their contract years are expecting a big pay day, the Jets really dont need too.  How much of an upgrade is it from LDT to Cappa/Daniels?  Not really sure but what I do know is, the OL played their best ball when he arrived, obvi not hard to upgrade from Rotten but still, they were drastically better. 

I'm big on continuity.  So I'd bring back both LDT and Moses.  If Becton studs out, cool, you have depth.  If you want to take a different FA than LDT, cool but dont break the bank, use the money on better investments.  If it takes a ridiculous contract, I'd much prefer LDT and mid-rounder but I'd honestly rather them reach for 2 pass rushers in the top 10 than taking a Guard.

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, TheClashFan said:

As for RG, how about drafting a good young C somewhere in rounds 1-3 and moving McGovern to RG?  Also increases depth as CM could slide back to C if the young one gets hurt.

now thats not a bad idea as long as you dont draft him till the 3rd rd.

the top Center will go in rd 1. and there is no way i do that. but last year KC got the best Center at the end of rd2 #68. so it is possible we could get the 2nd best Center at the top of rd 3. Centers last till rd 3.

we still need to get a starting RG in FA. we cant count on the board going like that in rd 3. but then he backs up this year and takes over next year. not a bad idea. 

1 hour ago, CanadaSteve said:

I agree with you on this, but if we decide to move on from Becton, Ekwonu, in essence, would replace that big OL contract that will be needed.  The next few weeks will be interesting.  If Becton stays, I don't see how we go OL.  I just don't. 

i dont see us moving on from Becton. he still has 2 years left on a rookie contract. there is no reason not to bring him back and let him compete for the RT position. we need a FA to battle him for RT. not an expensive guy, you could find a decent on for about 4-5  mil 

2 minutes ago, doitny said:

i dont see us moving on from Becton. he still has 2 years left on a rookie contract. there is no reason not to bring him back and let him compete for the RT position. we need a FA to battle him for RT. not an expensive guy, you could find a decent on for about 4-5  mil 

Yup...I agree.  Which is why I don't think we will be drafting OL.  

Now, put that perspective beside. If they DO move on from him, then I absolutely would agree that we would probably take a guy like Ekwonu or Cross with the #4 pick.  

2 hours ago, slats said:

I’d be down with Daniels or maybe Cappa if they want to try to upgrade from LDT but, seriously, screw their #1 option because it’s stupid. The Jets do not need and should not draft an OL in the first round, let alone #4 overall. What the Jets are in serious need of is pass rushers. I don’t understand how all you OL worshippers fail to take notice of the reason you want players capable of blocking; it’s largely to combat the other team’s pass rush! The Jets don’t have one of those. They just switched from over two decades of running a 3-4 to running a 4-3 scheme predicated on getting to the passer with the front four. The OL is fine, what they need to do is disrupt the other team’s OL and get to the QB. 

Pass rushers and pass catchers. Priorities #1, 2, & 3. 

The dilemma the Jets will face is that at 4 if there are no trade down offers to be had Okwenu could be by far the best rated prospect on the Jets board and in a different tier than the others. You could make a solid argument that it is a very good pick. He would play guard for a year and then move to either right or left tackle depending on how the Becton/Fant situation works out. I am not saying it is my preferred choice but there could be a ton of logical reasons to draft him there.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Let's say that JD drafts a gem OL in the 5th round.  He's still going to need to get paid in a few years anyway though, no?

We can allow this player to walk in FA if we have a replacement in queue. At some point JD would like to play the "Compensatory Pick" game that other teams do so well.

1 hour ago, CanadaSteve said:

The OL will be vastly better next year with an extended Fant, a healthy Becton, AVT in year 2 of the system and McGovern. Finding a FA or later round Guard in the draft should be the final piece...... not ANOTHER 1st round Draft Pick!

Perhaps even a player we already have on the roster!

• Upvote 1