Refs Blow Call on Rams final drive...

jetsons

1 hour ago, Larz said:

That happened so fast in real time. They were letting it go all game too. The situation of this call was BS. 

Guess it depends on what you think BS is, because I thought it was complete BS that no referee saw Higgins pull on Ramsey's facemask to the point it turned his head, he lost balance and fell to the ground.  Not sure how much more obvious you can make things.

• Upvote 2
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, Jimmy 2 Times said:

The no call face mask on Higgins evens it out. 

I get the 'evens out' thing. But it's one thing for the refs to miss something....it's another to 'see something' that never even happened (and throw a game changing flag over it). If I'm a ref in the SB, I'm not throwing a flag unless I SEE IT and it's egregious enough that no one's gonna complain about the flag.

3 hours ago, FootballLove said:

I get the 'evens out' thing. But it's one thing for the refs to miss something....it's another to 'see something' that never even happened (and throw a game changing flag over it). If I'm a ref in the SB, I'm not throwing a flag unless I SEE IT and it's egregious enough that no one's gonna complain about the flag.

It would Only even out if No penalty was called against the Bengals on that Very play...  The refs Failed to call a false start on the Rams (this would have "evened out" the non-call on Higgins) but then the refs doubled down by calling a False holding against the Bengals. TERRIBLE Officiating.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, CanadaSteve said:

Guess it depends on what you think BS is, because I thought it was complete BS that no referee saw Higgins pull on Ramsey's facemask to the point it turned his head, he lost balance and fell to the ground.  Not sure how much more obvious you can make things.

It happened really fast in real time. At that point in the game they were letting  things go.   You saw it in slow motion replay. The refs don’t get slow motion.  They can’t call it on review of the TD either. 

Phantom calls with the game on the line ? This league doesn’t get the benefit the doubt. 

a hockey reference  was made. 
lol

how many penalties are called last 2 minutes in a hockey playoff game in a series deciding game in the finals ?   Murder is ion the table lol

A baseball reference is they are calling the high strike for 8 2/3 innings and then boom it’s a ball 4 with the bases loaded 

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, jetsons said:

It would Only even out if No penalty was called against the Bengals on that Very play...  The refs Failed to call a false start on the Rams (this would have evened out the non-call on Higgins) but then the refs doubled down by calling a False holding against the Bengals. TERRIBLE Officiating.

Go watch the replay.  He physically altered Kupp's path by pulling on his jersey.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gxz4JNqLMnM

10 minutes ago, PFSIKH said:

Go watch the replay.  He physically altered Kupp's path by pulling on his jersey.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gxz4JNqLMnM

Eh. He barely touched him.  The little sh*t ran right into him.  They are on the 3.  If the Rams started on the 8, he should have been able to just bury him, or is that another thing you can't do anymore? I get why they made the call.  There was a tiny tug of the jersey, but the defense has to be able to do something.  Kupp is doing his best to push off there.

• Post of the Week 1

56 minutes ago, jetsons said:

zero... but your response is Typical of avoiding the Facts & Truth.

Facts and truth, huh?

FACT: Every game has a call that goes for or against a team.

FACT: There were calls in that game that went for and against each team.

It doesn't matter that we saw it on super slow motion the face mask that freed up Higgins.  It was a brutal call to be missed by 8 officials.  

What if the Bengals stop the Rams on that last drive and win because of a brutal call?  

We get it; you think it was a brutal call (I presume you mean the first holding call and not the PI against Kupp that put the ball on the 1 yard line) which cost one team the game.  By letter of the law, that was holding.  In the Super Bowl, should it have been?  Maybe not.  But if not in the Super Bowl, then not in any game.  Either call it all the time, or don't.  They seemed to let them play all game long, but someone happened to see something right as it was happened and deemed it flag worthy.  

• Haha 1

Uh…. That “false start” is SLIGHTLY worse than every play.  Fun game for those who don’t believe me - watch the kick steps from both tackles every pass play.   Spoiler alert - they alway go a little early.  

Both teams had a chance to win. This post mortum blame the refs stuff is weak sauce.   This wasn’t a ref blown game even if you don’t love how it was called.  (I did think they did well overall btw). 

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Jimmy 2 Times said:

The no call face mask on Higgins evens it out. 

I don't believe in the whole 'evening' out stuff, but bad calls and missed calls exist for both teams. Sometimes, the time of the call makes it stand out. It's pretty rare that one team is heavily favored in 'blown' calls. 

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, NorthCoastJetsFan said:

No, it doesn't.

The Rams had 30 minutes to overcome a horrendous call. The Bengals had a little over a minute.

But that is not what was bad about this call. The referee crew called absolutely nothing for 58+ minutes and then drop the questionable holding call? I could see if the game had been called tightly throughout, but it wasn't. I'm not sure, but it seems like there were more penalties called in the last 2 minutes than there was in the other 58.

The NFL can't expect that people won't question things when calls are made differently depending on when in the game they occur. And if we ascribe to the "let them play' theory then why have referees at all? Everyone can just call their own.

Again, it was a very borderline call. But i wouldn't have a problem with it if that was the way the entire game was called.

It was very obvious this season that the refs and NY during replays will influence games intentionally not to fix the outcome for certain teams but to make sure the games are close and come down to the wire for ratings, my .02.

1 hour ago, CanadaSteve said:

Facts and truth, huh?

FACT: Every game has a call that goes for or against a team.

FACT: There were calls in that game that went for and against each team.

It doesn't matter that we saw it on super slow motion the face mask that freed up Higgins.  It was a brutal call to be missed by 8 officials.  

What if the Bengals stop the Rams on that last drive and win because of a brutal call?  

We get it; you think it was a brutal call (I presume you mean the first holding call and not the PI against Kupp that put the ball on the 1 yard line) which cost one team the game.  By letter of the law, that was holding.  In the Super Bowl, should it have been?  Maybe not.  But if not in the Super Bowl, then not in any game.  Either call it all the time, or don't.  They seemed to let them play all game long, but someone happened to see something right as it was happened and deemed it flag worthy.  

By letter of the law if that was holding then by letter of the law the Rams had a false start which would have negated that play to begin with.

2 hours ago, SAM SAM HE'S OUR MAN said:

Hard to believe that Jamie-Lynn Sigler is now older than Edie Falco was when the Sopranos was first broadcast. Literally finished my watch-through of The Sopranos the night before the Super Bowl.

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

Wouldn’t be surprised if there’s some fixing going on, would you?

Other than that, I think the Rams stepped up and won either way. They did it with 7 points being given to the Bengals. It was Kupp vs the Bengals at the end and they couldn’t stop it. 

3 hours ago, jetsons said:

By letter of the law if that was holding then by letter of the law the Rams had a false start which would have negated that play to begin with.

Nobody is disagreeing.  But it was a good game.  Calls missed on both side, but not tons of penalties.

Do you have an interest in the game?  I just don't see why all the fuss about this.  

• Upvote 2
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, CanadaSteve said:

Nobody is disagreeing.  But it was a good game.  Calls missed on both side, but not tons of penalties.

Do you have an interest in the game?  I just don't see why all the fuss about this.  

I had no dog in the game, I just hate when ticky tacky calls are made in the last minute & a half when none were called for 58 plus minutes & most importantly it turned the game... That call was Terrible. 

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Warfish said:

I don't think any call "blew the game".  

I think Fans are spoiled by ultra-slowmo replay, and expect perfection.  It isn't going to happen.

Bengals got 7 off a missed call.  Rams got the same, except on a made call that might have been a little tickey-tack.

Such is sports, or at least it used to be.  All the complaints in the world won't change that ultra-slowmo cameras see better than officials on the field, and that slowed down you can find a penalty on every single play if you are so inclined.

Let it go, Rams won and were the better team on that day.    

SO TICKY TACK

SUPER BOWL CHAMPS

WISH WE HAD A COOPER CUPP

1 hour ago, jetsons said:

Ii had no dog in the game, I just hate when ticky tacky calls are made in the last minute & a half when none were called for 58 plus minutes & most importantly it turned the game... That call was Terrible. 

If your objectivity were as true as you claim, then you wouldn't be seriously trying to equate your insistence for a 5-yard dead ball penalty to a non-call that was the direct cause of a 75-yard TD.

Yet the Bengals still actually had a chance to get a stop after that play, including extra chances given with the Rams' TD on the next play being called back, which you seem to have no great issue with.  Your argument is also dependent on the assumption that the Rams would have been incapable of converting on the following play (or within 2 plays if called for your false start) despite Kupp roasting the Bengals on each of the 3 non-QB-sneak plays that followed.

Don't get me wrong, I can totally understand Bengals fans being unhappy about it, and as any team's fans would be in their shoes, but the concept of this being some great travesty is rather heavily reliant on ignoring the overwhelming majority of the game.

• Upvote 1
  • Confused 1

11 hours ago, jetsons said:

Ii had no dog in the game, I just hate when ticky tacky calls are made in the last minute & a half when none were called for 58 plus minutes & most importantly it turned the game... That call was Terrible. 

So much of the game is pulling, tugging, grabbing, holding....trying to get a slight advantage, especially on defence.  They have made it virtually impossible for defence to be played now.  

That said, I imagine it happens to be that a referee might have been looking at that play the whole time, saw it develop, and just threw the flag.  I imagine that in many cases, the refs are scanning the field and see a few tugs here and there and let it go.  Who knows!  It does give credence to the rigging of games, and I have no doubt at some level it happens.  Its a billion dollar industry with millions on the line gambling.  

17 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

Eh. He barely touched him.  The little sh*t ran right into him.  They are on the 3.  If the Rams started on the 8, he should have been able to just bury him, or is that another thing you can't do anymore? I get why they made the call.  There was a tiny tug of the jersey, but the defense has to be able to do something.  Kupp is doing his best to push off there.

I agree with you Dom.  I think it was a little ticky tack, but I get why it was called.  After watching Gronk get dry humped for years, I am dead inside to this call.

15 hours ago, jetsons said:

I did & he's Allowed within 5 yards... which he was. 

15 hours ago, jetsons said:

I did & he's Allowed within 5 yards... which he was. 

He is, but he was he inside of 5?  The hand checks definitely were.  When he grabbed the jersey and altered Kupp's path it was over 5.  Do the refs have Oculis VR headsets to determine when he is over 5 yards?  No, but he did grab him.