Super Bowl attracted 112 million viewers

GreenFish

Looks like the NFL was able to reverse a declining trend in viewership.

I thought it was a great super bowl all around. Kick ass national anthem, excellent game from start to finish, and a solid half time show. The Rock was a bit much but that’s his character. And the commercials mostly sucked.

Not sure how to paste the article.

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/02/15/super-bowl-2022-ratings-.html

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, BigRy56 said:

I think this is the benefit of having new teams in the big game. Brady vs. _____ was definitely a bit stale after twenty something years. The halftime show certainly helped pull people in

I agree. It was refreshing to see the Bengals in the big game. I found myself rooting for both Burrow and Stafford. My wife, who only watches one game a year (super bowl) was into the game the entire time. 

• Upvote 2

It was a good game but I watch it delayed to skip through so much of the crap. I think it definitely helped that it was 2 new teams and not just Brady, Mahomes or Rodgers going for another Super Bowl.

One thing that maybe only bothered me. I did not like Russell Wilson sitting next to Goodell for the game. The commissioner is supposed to be neutral and not show any bias or elevate certain players as more important than others. It sends the wrong message IMO

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 2

5 minutes ago, BallinPB said:

I was probably way too drunk at a local bar to even remember half the game.  That halftime show however was great!  The only one that rivals imo was Bruno Mars.  

I'd add Prince's show as well.   

And as an older than dirt person, I dug (note use of "dug" as proof) this year's show.  Very well put together and performed.  I also thought the set design--using the tops of Compton houses as stages and map of the area around the perimeter--was extraordinary and imaginative.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, BallinPB said:

I was probably way too drunk at a local bar to even remember half the game.  That halftime show however was great!  The only one that rivals imo was Bruno Mars.  

I’ve been watching previous half time shows. Still need to watch a ton more.

This half time show had the best stage so far. Super creative.

Michael Jackson’s entry was bonkers.

It raining during Prince’s performance was magical. You cant script that. 

U2 paying tribute to those who died on 9/11 was powerful.

Still need to go back and watch a ton more. I started with the ones everyone keeps saying were the best.

34 minutes ago, GreenFish said:

Wow. That’s crazy.

I stopped watching baseball a long time ago.

Had to look this up.

MLB: 70 million viewers (6 games) as you noted 

NBA Finals: 60 million viewers (6 games)

NHL Finals: 12.5 million viewers (5 games)

NFL Super Bowl: 112 million (one game ?)

Wait for it….wait for it.

2018 Fifa World Cup Final : 517 million

im shocked MLB beat the NBA. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, johnnysd said:

It was a good game but I watch it delayed to skip through so much of the crap. I think it definitely helped that it was 2 new teams and not just Brady, Mahomes or Rodgers going for another Super Bowl.

One thing that maybe only bothered me. I did not like Russell Wilson sitting next to Goodell for the game. The commissioner is supposed to be neutral and not show any bias or elevate certain players as more important than others. It sends the wrong message IMO

He was '20/'21 WPMOTY.  Likely Whitworth will be sitting next to Goodell next year.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, PS17 said:

It was a decent game. Beerfish pointed out that the game loses momentum with the two week break, and I agree. Also the game feels secondary to the Halftime show, long goofy commercial breaks, and all of the other hoopla. The NFL can do whatever it wants at this point; they essentially print money. But the product could be better if the league scaled back a bit, which will obviously never happen. 

The Super Bowl isn't for the fans.  It's for everyone that isn't a fan.

I get it and don't have a problem with it. 

• Upvote 3

There is a theory that prior to SB III the mafia "touched" the Colts and said "hey dudes, you can go out there and win just don't cover the 17 points." That puts Joe Willy's Poolside Guarantee into a different light, doesn't it? Of course this doesn't happen anymore. Because we as a society have moved on and are generally better people. Of course.   

but let's not discount "random" confluences of ref's events to assure that every big game stays as tight as possible for as long as possible

this isn't as simple as "they rigged it for the Rams." The league gave the Rams their td, expected Burrow to make the 20 yards and that kid to send them into SB overtime. Ratings Bliss heaven. 

I'm not even saying this like it's a bad thing. they got 112 million viewers because no one wanted to take a piss in the last 2 minutes. You just have to bake it into the experience of watching football.

And taking the 4.5 points. 

1 hour ago, GreenFish said:

I’ve been watching previous half time shows. Still need to watch a ton more.

This half time show had the best stage so far. Super creative.

Michael Jackson’s entry was bonkers.

It raining during Prince’s performance was magical. You cant script that. 

U2 paying tribute to those who died on 9/11 was powerful.

Still need to go back and watch a ton more. I started with the ones everyone keeps saying were the best.

My favorite (not necessary "the best") halftime show was the "In Living Color" halftime show for the Giants-Bills in '90, on Fox, which wasn't televising the Super Bowl. I just about pissed on myself laughing. Hard to find a copy of it - I think it got taken off You Tube a while back.

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

Only sport which actually crowns a "world champion".  I hate it when winners from MLB, NBA, NFL, etc. call themselves "world champs".  Wrong.

1 hour ago, GreenFish said:

Wow. That’s crazy.

I stopped watching baseball a long time ago.

Had to look this up.

MLB: 70 million viewers (6 games) as you noted 

NBA Finals: 60 million viewers (6 games)

NHL Finals: 12.5 million viewers (5 games)

NFL Super Bowl: 112 million (one game ?)

Wait for it….wait for it.

2018 Fifa World Cup Final : 517 million

It must be the halftime show ,,, 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, doitny said:

im shocked MLB beat the NBA. 

Both sports have been declining for a long time. Depending on the finals matchup, these two sports flip flop in ratings.

MLB has been declining since the 70’s/80’s. Likely because there are more options and younger people preferring other sports. Just my guess.

NBA has been declining since the 90’s. We can speculate but my guess would be the absence of Michael Jordan and the negative impact of players forming super teams.

Both sports have been hit hard the last two years. MLB in 2016/2017 had 20 million average viewers per game. These last two years it’s been half that. Same trend with the NBA. If the ratings pickup this year, we can probably point to the pandemic as a big cause.

• Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

Forget it.  It's all about the insanely rabid female fans from places like Paraguay that make the non-game stuff fun.  A couple of World Cups ago, Larissa Riquelme said she'd run through thei capital nude if they won.  lol

EXOOD6MY4ZWYEIATJAYPFIRZUY.jpg

Oh my Lord. Soccer has just become my favorite sport. 

• Haha 1

I thought the Super Bowl was a good, entertaining game, but not a classic. So many 3 and outs from both teams. The final two drives (the Cooper Kupp drive and then the Aaron Donald drive) elevated the game a lot, IMO. 

I'm not a fan of the genre of music played during the half-time, and usually half-time is the time to take a walk and stretch the legs anyway.

Give it a 7 out of 10.