Things that I think: Jets 2022 Offseason Edition

1 minute ago, football guy said:

I wouldn't necessarily say that. Player's don't only go to teams based on the QB. 

There's a few things to unpack. (1) Ridley would like to play there because he's from Fort Lauderdale; (2) no state income tax; (3) desirable weather; (4) some familiarity with college teammates; (4) Dolphins likely to move DeVante Parker so it makes sense for the Falcons to get a legit starter in return + draft-pick compensation 

Was really just being a cynical d*ck.?  All valid reasons. 

Seahawks have essentially invited other teams to make an offer for Russell Wilson

Posted by Mike Florio on March 3, 2022, 12:02 PM EST

Nine years ago, then-Vikings G.M. Rick Spielman proclaimed at the Scouting Combine that the team had “no intent” to trade Percy Harvin. Within days, Harvin was gone.

Coincidentally, or not, Harvin was traded to Seattle. Coincidentally, or not, Seattle coach Pete Carroll used the same words when talking about the possibility of trading quarterback Russell Wilson.

Speaking at the Scouting Combine, Carroll told reporters as to Wilson, “We have no intention of making any move there.” If Wilson were untouchable, Carroll would have used broader language. By saying “no intention,” Carroll necessarily implied that intentions could change. That someone could make them an offer they wouldn’t refuse.

Obviously, Wilson could refuse it; he has a no-trade clause. But with the Seahawks surely realizing that they’re one year away from the next effort by Wilson to get a new contract (Wilson also pushes for a new deal with one year left on his current one), the Seahawks have to decide whether to move him now, or whether to kick the can.

Could they get more now? Probably. Next year, whoever trades for him would have to sign him to a new deal. A 2022 trade possibly would (or could) be accomplished without a long-term extension. The more a team has to pay the player as he walks through the door, the less the team will be inclined to give up in order to get him from his current team.

Wilson has done nothing to agitate for a trade in 2022. Last year, he spoke openly about his concerns with the team, and his agent eventually published an unprecedented statement that listed four teams to which Wilson would accept a trade — the Bears, Cowboys, Raiders, and Saints. The decks for those teams have been reshuffled since then, and Wilson may have a new list of franchises for which he’d waive the ability to veto a trade.

Still, none of it matters unless and until a team calls the Seahawks and makes an offer. Carroll’s use of the phrase “no intention” invites an interested team to try to change Seattle’s intention. Indeed, the Seahawks never said “no intention” in 2021; eventually, Carroll flat-out commented that Wilson “wasn’t getting traded.”

The difference is subtle, but significant. To best understand it, consider what the Bengals would say if someone asks whether they’ll trade quarterback Joe Burrow. No one from the team would say “we have no intention to trade him.” Instead, they’d laugh at the mere asking of the question.

Carroll didn’t laugh on Wednesday. The door is open to make an offer. With the right offer — from the right team — Wilson could indeed be on the move.

On 2/15/2022 at 4:48 PM, football guy said:

I’ve read all the rumors connecting the Jets to the top WRs in the draft; I’ve heard some Drake London and Garrett Wilson chatter. Still, I’m not sure they would view either as an option to select at #10. More likely, I wouldn’t be surprised if they targeted someone in rounds 2-3 instead. Christian Watson has a lot of fans…

Not that combine performance matters all that much in the big picture, if at all, but at the very least Watson gave Jets coaches more reason to feel giddy about him. 

We’ll know more in the coming weeks, but this potential pairing is going to be something to be on the lookout for. 

• Upvote 3

On 2/16/2022 at 8:45 AM, Sperm Edwards said:

Every time there's a team on the clock we see they're always on the phones - and it isn't always just calling prospects to gauge their excitement (or depression, if it's the Jets). 

I've always wondered how a prospect would feel after all their hard work and sacrifices to finally get to that point in life and get picked wherever they get picked in the draft, only to get a call from the Jets/Lions/Browns of the NFL.

I've thought about it myself within my industry. I don't know, I'd be pretty bummed - but then I look at the paychecks and think, meh I guess I'll just treat it like a job!

• Haha 2

RE: Kayvon Thibodeaux 

There's no doubt he's been overhyped, but he's worth a top 10 pick in this class/top 15 in most classes. He fits the scheme and his perceived weaknesses on-the-field are not as scrutinized by this administration because we value speed/power more so than bend. There will be many factors that ultimately determine who the Jets select with their first-round picks, but Saleh's connection with him is going to really make-or-break whether he will be considered by the Jets, whether it be at #4, #10, or elsewhere. 

I think a very realistic scenario that could play out on draft day: top OL at #4, trade up to #6 for Kayvon if Giants were to pass.

Carolina is in a tough spot, coincidently due to the Darnold trade (side note: I still can't comprehend why they would trade for Darnold and not address the offensive line after seeing what transpired in New York, but I digress). They also have a coach firmly on the hot seat, and an owner who desperately wants a star QB. Deshaun Watson may be the only "star" QB available this year, and there's a good chance he wouldn't want to be traded to Carolina. Conventional wisdom suggests the owner would not greenlight drafting a QB with a coaching staff so in-flux, but David Tepper is a huge Pitt booster and Matt Rhule is high on Pickett. 

Carolina's primary needs are OT and QB. If they are sold on Pickett and he's there they would take him at #6, but if their is some hesitation to make that investment the Panthers could explore moving down. Ekwonu and Neal will be gone, so its possible the team would take more of a Patriots approach and see what falls to them at #10 (whether it be the top OL or QB) instead of moving up/staying put. If the Jets wanted Kavyon and he were there at #6, they could likely package #10 and some other picks to move up to #6. Again not saying this will happen but its something worth considering 

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, football guy said:

RE: Kayvon Thibodeaux 

There's no doubt he's been overhyped, but he's worth a top 10 pick in this class/top 15 in most classes. He fits the scheme and his perceived weaknesses on-the-field are not as scrutinized by this administration because we value speed/power more so than bend. There will be many factors that ultimately determine who the Jets select with their first-round picks, but Saleh's connection with him is going to really make-or-break whether he will be considered by the Jets, whether it be at #4, #10, or elsewhere. 

I think a very realistic scenario that could play out on draft day: top OL at #4, trade up to #6 for Kayvon if Giants were to pass.

Carolina is in a tough spot, coincidently due to the Darnold trade (side note: I still can't comprehend why they would trade for Darnold and not address the offensive line after seeing what transpired in New York, but I digress). They also have a coach firmly on the hot seat, and an owner who desperately wants a star QB. Deshaun Watson may be the only "star" QB available this year, and there's a good chance he wouldn't want to be traded to Carolina. Conventional wisdom suggests the owner would not greenlight drafting a QB with a coaching staff so in-flux, but David Tepper is a huge Pitt booster and Matt Rhule is high on Pickett. 

Carolina's primary needs are OT and QB. If they are sold on Pickett and he's there they would take him at #6, but if their is some hesitation to make that investment the Panthers could explore moving down. Ekwonu and Neal will be gone, so its possible the team would take more of a Patriots approach and see what falls to them at #10 (whether it be the top OL or QB) instead of moving up/staying put. If the Jets wanted Kavyon and he were there at #6, they could likely package #10 and some other picks to move up to #6. Again not saying this will happen but its something worth considering 

11 minutes ago, football guy said:

There's no way they're not interested, the question is more how interested. 

The sense I've gotten is that the grading between Hutchinson, Thibodeaux, Walker, and Johnson is going to be much closer than the media has them, and teams are likely going to have them rated in a variety of different orders. That's been the talk among agents and NFL people of late, so it's not shocking to see that Jeremiah and Brugler (two of the best in draft media) have since updated their big boards to reflect that. Don't be surprised if the Jets have a guy like Walker as their top DE. 

My feeling for a while has been that their top 3 picks would end up being some combination of Ekwonu/Neal–Karlaftis–London...

A lot of this remains the case, but things that have changed:

• Free agency will crystalize things, especially if they opt to sign a high-profile RG... anything is possible at #4 if that happens. In that scenario, I will not rule out Kyle Hamilton. Many people are reading into Saleh's comments too literally, but the unicorn talk is real... they felt Kyle Pitts was a unicorn last year, and there's a lot of talk they feel Hamilton is a unicorn this year. That doesn't mean they'll take him... the final grades are not in a vacuum; they're weighted by positional value. So let's say they gave Hamilton a 7.0 absent positional weighted factor, and a DE a 6.8 absent the same factor. Once positional weights are factored in, Hamilton's grade could drop to a 6.8 and the DEs could increase to like a 6.9, which would probably lead to the DE being listed higher than Hamilton on the final board. Otherwise, I think Sauce Gardner, Kayvon Thibodeaux, Travon Walker would be possible as well (I were putting money on it I would bet a surprise selection of Travon Walker at #4 over Thibs). A lot remains to be seen, but I'm pretty confident one way or another it will be OL and DL with the top 2 picks. 
  • Karlaftis more likely mid-to-late 1st/early 2nd. Would become a prime target if the Jets were to trade down from #10. I can also see Travon Walker, Jermaine Johnson, or Kayvon Thibodeaux at #10 if OL at #4. Could also see Trevor Penning here if they go DL at #4. Don't think Sauce will fall to #10. Don't think Hamilton falls to #10. Cannot rule out a WR, but I don't think they would take one at #10. Feels like a trade down is most likely. 
  • How the Jets address WR is going to come down to whether they can trade/sign a veteran or not. I don't think they're going to sign a guy to a big contract just because. Ridley is the guy who they would like to trade for, but a lot needs to happen for that to become possible. Drake London and Christian Watson are the two guys the Jets have been linked to, but Garrett Wilson and a number of other receivers all fit the offense very well. 

Another thing I'm sure of: they will draft 2 DEs by the end y 2. Iof Da think they'll prioritize a more complete power DE in round 1 with more of a speed rusher in round 2 (think Boye Mafe, Arnold Ebiketie, Myjai Sanders, Drake Jackson).  

Totally agree with this. Perfect year to do it. You think any shot they could do it with both 1's?

19 hours ago, football guy said:

Another thing I'm sure of: they will draft 2 DEs by the end of Day 2. I think they'll prioritize a more complete power DE in round 1 with more of a speed rusher in round 2 (think Boye Mafe, Arnold Ebiketie, Myjai Sanders, Drake Jackson).  

First off, I just want to say your posts are always appreciated. 

And while I really want to continue to add to the offense, if we do draft 2 edges, I could definitely get on board with that.  It always feels like when there are drafts that are deep in a position, we somehow end up missing out entirely on that position.  If we strike twice early in a draft deep in edge, that would be a welcome change from how things are normally run for this franchise.

• Sympathy 1

On 3/4/2022 at 11:47 AM, football guy said:

I can’t tell you how much I hate this. Why do you feel so confident that it’s going to be OL at #4? Is this your opinion, or based on things you’re hearing? You’ve said that they have no intention of giving up on Becton and, if that’s the case, OL should not be a priority need this year. Drafting a guy at #4 to play guard (for even a year or two) would be a tremendous waste of a premium resource. So this particular scenario that you’re describing as “realistic,” is doubly wasteful. First they pass on a true need at #4 to take a redundant position, then trade extra assets away to move up to take the guy they needed and could’ve had at #4. If this is how they opt to run their first round this year, I’ll be jumping off JD’s bandwagon. 

Really hoping the team addresses their IOL in a real way in free agency, and then Ekwonu and Neal both go top three. With all this OL talk, I’m almost at the point where I’d be happier with Hamilton at #4. At least he fits a need, even if I doubt that he’ll ever live up to the tremendous hype. 

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

2 minutes ago, slats said:

I can’t tell you how much I hate this. Why do you feel so confident that it’s going to be OL at #4? Is this your opinion, or based on things you’re hearing? You’ve said that they have no intention of giving up on Becton and, if that’s the case, OL should not be a priority need this year. Drafting a guy at #4 to play guard (for even a year or two) would be a tremendous waste of a premium resource. So this particular scenario that you’re describing as “realistic,” is doubly wasteful. First they pass on a true need at #4 to take a redundant position, then trade extra assets away to move up to take the guy they needed and could’ve had at #4. If this is how they opt to run their first round this year, I’ll be jumping off JD’s bandwagon. 

Really hoping the team addresses their IOL in a real way in free agency, and then Ekwonu and Neal both go top three. With all this OL talk, I’m almost at the point where I’d be happier with Hamilton at #4. At least he fits a need, even if I doubt that he’ll ever live up to the tremendous hype. 

Don't go there. Like Jimmy V said in his miraculous speech..."don't give up. Don't ever give up." ?

• Upvote 1

21 hours ago, football guy said:

I'm pretty confident one way or another it will be OL and DL with the top 2 picks. 

Another thing I'm sure of: they will draft 2 DEs by the end of Day 2. 

Obviously it depends on how the board falls but I really hope this is the approach and strategy.

Protect your QB - Destroy theirs

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

14 minutes ago, football guy said:

What Kayvon did yesterday is exactly what has teams concerned. He's not authentic. Everything he does is manufactured. He tells people unequivocally that he's going to partake in all drills because he's "a competitor", only to back out of the drills days later. 

I've said it a few times now, but don't be surprised if Johnson and Walker pass him on many draft boards, including ours. 

On a side note, I'm happy that Karlafits had a nice combine. The anti-Thibs.

• Upvote 1

I really like KT but man, his behavior lately is raising some major red flags. I have no doubt JD and staff are doing their homework, but I'd be really careful with that kid. Like FG said, may just be easier to just draft one of the Georgia edges and move on. 

• Upvote 4

20 minutes ago, football guy said:

What Kayvon did yesterday is exactly what has teams concerned. He's not authentic. Everything he does is manufactured. He tells people unequivocally that he's going to partake in all drills because he's "a competitor", only to back out of the drills days later. 

I've said it a few times now, but don't be surprised if Johnson and Walker pass him on many draft boards, including ours. 

Not to mention Walker and Johnson measured and tested just as good, if not better.

So is he really all that special athletically? Or does someone need to have a conversation with him:

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, football guy said:

I love Johnson ! Ikem and Johnson would be a homerun but I doubt it happens 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, RVAJet815 said:

I really like KT but man, his behavior lately is raising some major red flags. I have no doubt JD and staff are doing their homework, but I'd be really careful with that kid. Like FG said, may just be easier to just draft one of the Georgia edges and move on. 

Just from the things that transpired this past week. Thibs reminds me of the kid who got 1480 on his boards but was a b-, c+ student in HS. The ability is there, but where is the work ethic? 

• Upvote 1

Also, it's really wild to me how we're calling Ekwonu/Neal wasted picks. If you want to be the big, physical football team LaFleur clearly wants to be, and how many examples do you need, you go get an upper echelon OL. Go pay Scherf or Daniels if you want, but failing that, drafting one of those two guys at 4, and overhauling TE is a good way to get that done. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 2

4 minutes ago, section314 said:

Just from the things that transpired this past week. Thibs reminds me of the kid who got 1480 on his boards but was a b-, c+ student in HS. The ability is there, but where is the work ethic? 

I hear you. I love the potential, I like the tape, but the intangibles scare the ? out of me. I feel like the Jets of the not so good old days just plug their ears, close their eyes, and take KT anyway. Scares me. Especially when you have walker just sitting here with no big flags to speak of an a motor to match. Just from this week alone, KT seems like the Anti-saleh pick. He's not in it for the game seemingly. I get lots of "me first" from this guy. Could it be a bad week? Sure. But man, I see why you pass on him very clearly.

• Sympathy 2

37 minutes ago, football guy said:

@football guy do u believe the Jensen rumors ? I mean Douglas did scout him on ravens and McGovern is in his last year 

1 hour ago, playtowinthegame said:

Arizona Cardinals will not franchise tag Chandler Jones. Jets could use an Edge rusher like that. 

Make it happen, Joe.

1 hour ago, section314 said:

You talk about a guy who is under the radar. Doesn't he have the most sacks over the last 5-6 Years?

We drafted Quentin Coples 5 picks ahead of him in 2012.

EDIT: We also drafted Dwyane Robertson at #3 overall in 2003 while the Pats took Ty Warren at #13 that same draft.

1 hour ago, football guy said:

Great posts FG,

I’m using Saleh’s end of season quote when thinking whom might be a fit for the Jets.  

“There’s a difference between guys who love ball and guys who like what football brings them," Saleh explained. 

KT seems to be the latter. 

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 3

1 hour ago, RedBeardedSavage said:

Not to mention Walker and Johnson measured and tested just as good, if not better.

So is he really all that special athletically? Or does someone need to have a conversation with him:

I posted in another thread but Willie McGinest needs to counsel his boy. Blowing much coin!

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, slats said:

It's based on things that I've heard for a few years now + what Douglas and Saleh are very open about. Outside the QB, they believe OL and DL are the two most important position groups in football, and they believe those positions are worthy of premium investment every year. 

A few people I know are changing their tune after last night though. It's just a workout, but Walker and Johnson confirmed they're worthy to be in the top 10, if not top 5 discussion. Again, a lot of this is fluid. The Jets control the draft and given the depth of this class, they have a lot of flexibility how they approach each pick. I feel confident one of Neal, Ekwonu, Sauce, Hamilton, or Walker will be selected at #4. In fact, I'm going to label Walker as the favorite. 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

1 hour ago, Cbucco19 said:

@football guy do u believe the Jensen rumors ? I mean Douglas did scout him on ravens and McGovern is in his last year 

I think some of it is by design. A hedge. By leaking this interest, they get to see how receptive he is to the idea of coming to the Jets, while also sending a message to CMG reps at CAA that his deal needs to be tweaked. CMG has no leverage, Jets have all of it. Most likely outcome I see is a renegotiated deal; possibly an extension at a more favorable salary coupled with a mid-to-late round pick spent on a C to groom as his eventual replacement. 

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

3 hours ago, slats said:

How is it a waste to draft OL?

A guy like Ekwonu gives them so much flexibility along the OL and strengthens it at the same time. Becton could move to RT. Great. Ekwonu then gives us one of the better pairs of guards in the league. Becton could fizzle, fine, move Ekownu to T and stay afloat. 

Fact that you're saying a Safety would be more resourceful over protecting your QB is just....weird.

• Sympathy 1

17 minutes ago, football guy said:

It's based on things that I've heard for a few years now + what Douglas and Saleh are very open about. Outside the QB, they believe OL and DL are the two most important position groups in football, and they believe those positions are worthy of premium investment every year. 

A few people I know are changing their tune after last night though. It's just a workout, but Walker and Johnson confirmed they're worthy to be in the top 10, if not top 5 discussion. Again, a lot of this is fluid. The Jets control the draft and given the depth of this class, they have a lot of flexibility how they approach each pick. I feel confident one of Neal, Ekwonu, Sauce, Hamilton, or Walker will be selected at #4. In fact, I'm going to label Walker as the favorite. 

Will this change anything for the Jets? 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

5 minutes ago, football guy said:

I think some of it is by design. A hedge. By leaking this interest, they get to see how receptive he is to the idea of coming to the Jets, while also sending a message to CMG reps at CAA that his deal needs to be tweaked. CMG has no leverage, Jets have all of it. Most likely outcome I see is a renegotiated deal; possibly an extension at a more favorable salary coupled with a mid-to-late round pick spent on a C to groom as his eventual replacement. 

Been thinking the same regarding C.  Lindstrom, Cole Strange, the Wake Forest guy Tom, Nebraska guy Jurgens as options.