Things that I think: Jets 2022 Offseason Edition

1 hour ago, C Mart said:

Great posts FG,

I’m using Saleh’s end of season quote when thinking whom might be a fit for the Jets.  

“There’s a difference between guys who love ball and guys who like what football brings them," Saleh explained. 

KT seems to be the latter. 

We’ve been down this road before.   Thibs is the toxic hot chick that you hope you can change but the dye is cast and you never will.  I’d rather take Walker or Johnson at 4.

• Upvote 1

Becton has really put Douglas and this team in an unenviable spot.  With his injury and condition as the great unknowns, there is no way to know if he can be relied upon to start/contribute.  If he can't that leaves a giant hole which, if not filled with other valuable resources, can derail the season even if Douglas gives Wilson all the weapons he needs.  So, what are Douglas's choices?

• He can give Moses starter money and, as a result, take away valuable cap space which would be used to fill other holes.
  • He can draft an OL at #4, play him at RG and have him as insurance in the event Becton is a no-go.  This comes at a cost of taking a higher valued Edge. 
  • He can sign Bozeman to play center and slide McGovern to RG and take an OL in round 2 (e.g., Kinnard, Sean Rhyan, Zion Johnson) for contingency.  This comes at a cost of taking a higher valued WR, TE, S or LB.

None of these choices are ideal.  This situation has likely put Douglas in a spot where he almost has to invest another very high pick on a OL.

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Sympathy 1

2 hours ago, Zachtomims47 said:

How is it a waste to draft OL?

A guy like Ekwonu gives them so much flexibility along the OL and strengthens it at the same time. Becton could move to RT. Great. Ekwonu then gives us one of the better pairs of guards in the league. Becton could fizzle, fine, move Ekownu to T and stay afloat. 

Fact that you're saying a Safety would be more resourceful over protecting your QB is just....weird.

Weird would be making the -to the best of my knowledge- unprecedented move to draft OL in the first round for a third year in a row. A year after using two third round picks to trade up in the first for a guard. It’s just not done, and neither is using a top five pick on a guard. The OL was playing well the second half of the year once LDT replaced GVR, and the line as a whole just started getting better at the zone scheme. It’s no longer a position group in distress, as it was when JD arrived. 

Saying I’d prefer the safety is just an expression of my frustration at the First Church of the Holy Offensive Line crowd who seem to feel it’s the only position, after QB, that matters. My preference is the best Edge on the board. But in terms of impact, it’s hard to get less bang for your buck than drafting an IOL top five. Think of the talent on the team today, what moves the needle the most? A solid OG? I’d argue that doesn’t move it at all. A solid Safety? That at least fills a need and would, in fact, be a major improvement in the secondary. A solid Edge? Far and away the biggest impact. Now replace the word “solid”, with “stud.” A stud Edge or stud Safety, again, improve the team significantly more than another stud OG. This team needs points and takeaways. A defense that can get off the field. You can have all the blockers in the world, but it won’t matter if there aren’t any playmakers to block for. 

I believe in a solid OL. I want LDT and Moses resigned or upgraded in free agency. What I’m not doing is drafting Becton insurance this year. That’ll be Moses’ or his replacement’s job this season. 

• Upvote 3

51 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

I want Walker over Thibs if we go pass rusher. Walker is a absolute football player. I love that about him.

He’s also fantastic at setting the edge, which quite frankly, Carl Lawson sucks at.

And anyone who says that doesn’t matter must’ve enjoyed watching the Jets run D get sh*t on all last year.

• Upvote 3

24 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

He’s also fantastic at setting the edge, which quite frankly, Carl Lawson sucks at.

And anyone who says that doesn’t matter must’ve enjoyed watching the Jets run D get sh*t on all last year.

I want Walker.  

I'll take Sauce at 10 if he runs a 4.4 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Cbucco19 said:

@football guy walker scares me ! His workout doesn’t match his production . 

There was a heavy rotation at Georgia.  

He only played in like 30% of the snaps and they had him inside at DT and dropping in coverage.

JJ only had 4 sacks at Georgia and then he transferred and had double digit with more playing time. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Zachtomims47 said:

How is it a waste to draft OL?

A guy like Ekwonu gives them so much flexibility along the OL and strengthens it at the same time. Becton could move to RT. Great. Ekwonu then gives us one of the better pairs of guards in the league. Becton could fizzle, fine, move Ekownu to T and stay afloat. 

Fact that you're saying a Safety would be more resourceful over protecting your QB is just....weird.

With the goal of building around a young QB I think the team would have to be really, really confident that Ekwonu will be solid in pass protection. And I know he is a really well liked prospect, the questions that are pretty much universally brought up surrounding him are technique and pass protection. 

I think we're so used to the tackle who needs to move into guard because he's got short arms but is otherwise outstanding and a really safe prospect that we overrate how confident we can be that Ekwonu will hold up will in pass pro. The #2 pick last year struggling because he's stuck dealing with interior pressure with the #4 pick this year not holding up in pass protection is...not a good scenario. And I could absolutely see that happening.

A veteran is just so much safer. Something like James Daniels - who will be 25 next season, came out as a center so he's got position versatility, is experienced in zone and a scheme fit, and has improved - plus drafting a late day 2/early day 3 tackle and one of the many athletic centers in this class on day three is the way to go in my opinion. Plus extending Fant. Ideally restructure McGovern, too.

John Benton did a great job with the OL last year. Get him an upgrade at RG and some young athletic guys to work with, try to build a little continuity and depth, and be confident your RG will protect Wilson. I think the offensive line and tight end rooms need what was done last year for the defense on day three - build some quality depth. Enough with the mediocre FA backups for a couple million. Add some young talent there and develop it. Athleticism is key in zone and this is an athletic class.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

33 minutes ago, derp said:

With the goal of building around a young QB I think the team would have to be really, really confident that Ekwonu will be solid in pass protection. And I know he is a really well liked prospect, the questions that are pretty much universally brought up surrounding him are technique and pass protection. 

I think we're so used to the tackle who needs to move into guard because he's got short arms but is otherwise outstanding and a really safe prospect that we overrate how confident we can be that Ekwonu will hold up will in pass pro. The #2 pick last year struggling because he's stuck dealing with interior pressure with the #4 pick this year not holding up in pass protection is...not a good scenario. And I could absolutely see that happening.

A veteran is just so much safer. Something like James Daniels - who will be 25 next season, came out as a center so he's got position versatility, is experienced in zone and a scheme fit, and has improved - plus drafting a late day 2/early day 3 tackle and one of the many athletic centers in this class on day three is the way to go in my opinion. Plus extending Fant. Ideally restructure McGovern, too.

John Benton did a great job with the OL last year. Get him an upgrade at RG and some young athletic guys to work with, try to build a little continuity and depth, and be confident your RG will protect Wilson. I think the offensive line and tight end rooms need what was done last year for the defense on day three - build some quality depth. Enough with the mediocre FA backups for a couple million. Add some young talent there and develop it. Athleticism is key in zone and this is an athletic class.

I mean how many picks are we going to dedicate to the line. Oline is the safe pick to buy Douglas another year (or at least maybe in his mind). I don’t think I can stress enough how desperate this franchise is for edge rushers and pop on offense. Counting on Davis, Moore, Carter and Lawson as sure things while going oline and secondary in the draft would be a risk not worth taking. If I’m Douglas I’m walking away from this draft with at least two edge rushers, two receivers, and two backs. Still need the right end too.

• Upvote 1

Walker isn't a pure edge rusher. Does better rushing on the inside sort of like John Franklin Myer. He's more physical then fluid pass rusher. Excellent versus the run, at best above average versus the pass. Would be ideal as a weakside 3-4 DE in a base sets. Size wise and playing style compares to Solomon Thomas who Sahel coached with the 49ers. Both 6'4, 275lbs. 

5 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

I mean how many picks are we going to dedicate to the line. Oline is the safe pick to buy Douglas another year (or at least maybe in his mind). I don’t think I can stress enough how desperate this franchise is for edge rushers and pop on offense. Counting on Davis, Moore, Carter and Lawson as sure things while going oline and secondary in the draft would be a risk not worth taking. If I’m Douglas I’m walking away from this draft with at least two edge rushers, two receivers, and two backs. Still need the right end too.

Pass rushers and playmakers are desperate needs.

I think best if they can pull a rabbit out of their hat and get a veteran pass catcher - higher probability of impact and this WR class is so so. Offensive line like I said I think the class is athletic enough day three that they can replicate what they did with the corner spot last year and add some developmental guys but I think it’s a year to chase backups on day three and focus on other stuff early.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, LAD_Brooklyn said:

Walker isn't a pure edge rusher. Does better rushing on the inside sort of like John Franklin Myer. He's more physical then fluid pass rusher. Excellent versus the run, at best above average versus the pass. Would be ideal as a weakside 3-4 DE in a base sets. Size wise and playing style compares to Solomon Thomas who Sahel coached with the 49ers. Both 6'4, 275lbs. 

This knock happens on guys a lot depending on how they’re used. It was an issue for Aldon Smith. I’m sure teams will get a better sense of his flexibility but his agility times were great and there may be some upside to unpack there.

Also, Walker playing DE at JFM’s spot and having JFM play inside would improve athleticism at two spots on the DL and let them work less hard on DT And even if they add no other pass rushers, Walker and JFM inside on passing downs with say Lawson and Huff on the edge would be interesting.

• Upvote 1

On 3/5/2022 at 9:40 AM, football guy said:

There's no way they're not interested, the question is more how interested. 

The sense I've gotten is that the grading between Hutchinson, Thibodeaux, Walker, and Johnson is going to be much closer than the media has them, and teams are likely going to have them rated in a variety of different orders. That's been the talk among agents and NFL people of late, so it's not shocking to see that Jeremiah and Brugler (two of the best in draft media) have since updated their big boards to reflect that. Don't be surprised if the Jets have a guy like Walker as their top DE. 

My feeling for a while has been that their top 3 picks would end up being some combination of Ekwonu/Neal–Karlaftis–London...

A lot of this remains the case, but things that have changed:

• Free agency will crystalize things, especially if they opt to sign a high-profile RG... anything is possible at #4 if that happens. In that scenario, I will not rule out Kyle Hamilton. Many people are reading into Saleh's comments too literally, but the unicorn talk is real... they felt Kyle Pitts was a unicorn last year, and there's a lot of talk they feel Hamilton is a unicorn this year. That doesn't mean they'll take him... the final grades are not in a vacuum; they're weighted by positional value. So let's say they gave Hamilton a 7.0 absent positional weighted factor, and a DE a 6.8 absent the same factor. Once positional weights are factored in, Hamilton's grade could drop to a 6.8 and the DEs could increase to like a 6.9, which would probably lead to the DE being listed higher than Hamilton on the final board. Otherwise, I think Sauce Gardner, Kayvon Thibodeaux, Travon Walker would be possible as well (I were putting money on it I would bet a surprise selection of Travon Walker at #4 over Thibs). A lot remains to be seen, but I'm pretty confident one way or another it will be OL and DL with the top 2 picks. 
  • Karlaftis more likely mid-to-late 1st/early 2nd. Would become a prime target if the Jets were to trade down from #10. I can also see Travon Walker, Jermaine Johnson, or Kayvon Thibodeaux at #10 if OL at #4. Could also see Trevor Penning here if they go DL at #4. Don't think Sauce will fall to #10. Don't think Hamilton falls to #10. Cannot rule out a WR, but I don't think they would take one at #10. Feels like a trade down is most likely. 
  • How the Jets address WR is going to come down to whether they can trade/sign a veteran or not. I don't think they're going to sign a guy to a big contract just because. Ridley is the guy who they would like to trade for, but a lot needs to happen for that to become possible. Drake London and Christian Watson are the two guys the Jets have been linked to, but Garrett Wilson and a number of other receivers all fit the offense very well. 

Another thing I'm sure of: they will draft 2 DEs by the end of Day 2. I think they'll prioritize a more complete power DE in round 1 with more of a speed rusher in round 2 (think Boye Mafe, Arnold Ebiketie, Myjai Sanders, Drake Jackson).  

If there's ever been a Draft to double-dip at DE this is the one.  Not just because of the deep talent spread across several rounds, but because of the importance of the LEO position to the scheme, Saleh's deep desire for a robust DL rotation and because the Jets are setup with almost precisely the right combination of picks (4, 10, 35, 38, 69) to make it happen.

This really was the perfect year to have the Jets coaches staffing that Senior Bowl too.  They'll have some deep insight on the guys who will be taken outside the 1st round in regards to the intangibles like coachability, effort in practice, how quick they pick up concepts and techniques, etc.  Those are the things a combine doesn't measure but help you reduce the risk of taking a certain player a little higher than some "experts" think he should go.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

6 hours ago, slats said:

I believe in a solid OL. I want LDT and Moses resigned or upgraded in free agency. What I’m not doing is drafting Becton insurance this year. That’ll be Moses’ or his replacement’s job this season. 

So, you want to pay Moses upwards of $10mm per to be insurance as opposed to selecting a future OT who can fill in at Guard in the interim?  Sure, why not.

• Sympathy 1

So, you want to pay Moses upwards of $10mm per to be insurance as opposed to selecting a future OT who can fill in at Guard in the interim?  Sure, why not.

First of all Ekwonu did not play Guard particularly well in college even though he can. Second of all he’s 6’7”. Not that Zach knows what he’s doing when he can see the defense, but put Ekwanu in front of him and forget it. Unless you’re looking to minimize would be interceptions by blocking them with our our Guard?? ??‍♂️

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app
  • Sympathy 1

17 hours ago, LAD_Brooklyn said:

Calvin Pace a good comp?  

54 minutes ago, Snell41 said:

First of all Ekwonu did not play Guard particularly well in college even though he can. Second of all he’s 6’7”. Not that Zach knows what he’s doing when he can see the defense, but put Ekwanu in front of him and forget it. Unless you’re looking to minimize would be interceptions by blocking them with our our Guard?? ??‍♂️

He's not 6'7"" - he's 6'4". Not very tall for a tackle, but about average for a Guard.

• Sympathy 1

56 minutes ago, Snell41 said:

Ekwonu is 6’4

First of all Ekwonu did not play Guard particularly well in college even though he can. Second of all he’s 6’7”. Not that Zach knows what he’s doing when he can see the defense, but put Ekwanu in front of him and forget it. Unless you’re looking to minimize would be interceptions by blocking them with our our Guard??

Priceless

12 hours ago, BettyBoop said:

Yeah, 100%. Moses is a known quantity that played well on this team in this system. Bring him and LDT (or a suitable replacement) back, Becton comes back from from injury, and the OL is nicely set up for next season. I don’t need an OT of the future if Fant gets extended and Becton performs well. If one or both of those things don’t happen, the tackle position will still survive this season and can be addressed next year. That frees up that #4 pick, and his guaranteed contract in the four year/$33M range, for some sort of playmaker. I want the top Edge. I could warm up to the secondary guys, but I’ll believe that when I see it. 

Add an OL or two later in the draft for development. That’s how NFL teams actually do it. They don’t draft OL in the first round three years in a row because it’s a waste of resources. 

• Sympathy 1

18 hours ago, Cbucco19 said:

@football guy walker scares me ! His workout doesn’t match his production . 

He produced at an elite level doing what Georgia asked him to do, and given their heavy rotation, his statistical output was suppressed. Also, teams are factoring sack totals less and less in their evaluations of DE prospects given how the college game has changed. Maybe the Walker hype is due to some recency bias, but it sounds like the NFL loves him, and he fits the Jets particularly well

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

2 hours ago, football guy said:

He produced at an elite level doing what Georgia asked him to do, and given their heavy rotation, his statistical output was suppressed. Also, teams are factoring sack totals less and less in their evaluations of DE prospects given how the college game has changed. Maybe the Walker hype is due to some recency bias, but it sounds like the NFL loves him, and he fits the Jets particularly well

Warming up to sauce 4 and Johnson. 10

• Sympathy 1

The free agency tampering window starts a week from today. Here are the latest rumors we've seen out of the media + some of my own insight... 

FREE AGENCY PRIORITIES

• Interior OL: this has been the popular, almost unanimous, rumor among several media sources, with the likes of Ryan Fowler, Connor Hughes, Aaron Wilson, and others specifically mentioning Ryan Jensen and Bradley Bozeman - both centers - as targets. Signing either would almost certainly spell the end of Connor McGovern's time here, unless they were to shift him to RG (which is possible). Whether the interest is legitimate or not, I think there's a few things to unpack: (1) they don't want CMG back at his current salary; and (2) if they address the interior by signing a RG, it likely means they will bypass OL in round 1. My take on it: this has more to do with getting Connor McGovern to renegotiate his contract. The one player I'm not ready to rule out is Brandon Scherff; Douglas loves him, but signing him would lead to a domino effect and alter the rest of their offseason plans. The one thing he doesn't come with is versatility: at this point of his career he's RG only, and Jets prefer to remain versatile. Assuming they opt against signing a big name like Scherff, they will likely re-sign Laurent Duvernay-Tardif
  • Interior DL: again, I think this could mean a few things. By putting this out there, it likely means they're either trying to get Fatukasi to reduce his ask, know that Fatukasi will be moving on and are seeking a replacement, or want to see who would be interested in the event they were to move on from Rankins. D.J. Jones would seem to be a perfect replacement for Fatukasi given his connections with the coaching staff, but he's due to make a lot of money in free agency... maybe the Jets would go after him feeling he is an upgrade on what they have? Another option to be on the lookout for: trade for Grady Jarrett. Atlanta needs to trim salary, and rumor has it they are trying to extend Jarrett. If those plans go sour, they may consider trading Jarrett, which would save them $16.5 million in cap space. He's on the final year of his deal, so the team would likely look into signing him to an extension. Otherwise, there are a ton of stop-gap options/budget-friendly replacements if Fatukasi were to walk. There's been some scuttle that Sheldon Richardson would cherish an opportunity to finish things where they started in New York. Have not heard whether the Jets feel the same way. 
  • Safety: this one is a no-brainer. Many have indicated that they will go hard for some of the top safeties, specifically Marcus Williams. I'm not so sure of that. Guys I have heard connected to the Jets are Terrell EdmundsQuandre Diggs, Jaquiski Tartt, and Jayron Kearse. I'm sure they will be interested in Williams but not to the point where they get into a bidding war for him. There are a number of other veterans who are free agents that have connections to the coaching staff, and it wouldn't surprise me to see them sign one or two of those guys to cheap deals. 
  • Tight End: another obvious position that needs to be addressed. Everyone is talking about Dalton Schultz, but I don't think Dallas lets him walk. The guy I have heard the Jets are enamored with is David Njoku. There has been some speculation that the Browns could tag him, as they have a big offer for him on the table that he has yet to sign. If not, I feel real confident about this one coming to fruition. If not Njoku, I really don't know what direction the Jets would go. Rumor has it that Zach Ertz wants to stay on the west coast, so that's out. More likely, the Jets would have to settle for a tier-3 TE, with there being some connections to OJ Howard, Maxx Williams, Hayden Hurst, and Mo Alie-Cox, among others. If the Browns do successfully bring back Njoku, its possible the Jets would approach them about trading for Austin Hooper. Hooper is only 27 years old and was coached by Mike LaFleur during his rookie year. 

• Defensive End: like Linebacker, the Jets will be opportunistic here. I saw reports linking the Jets to Za'Darius Smith if he were to be cut. I also know there's interest in Derek Barnett if the price is right. Either scenario, they will not look to break bank at DE. They're going to address the position in the draft, but they want a deep rotation of 4-to-5 guys so there's room to add a FA if the opportunity presents itself. 
  • Cornerback: I have heard very little as it relates to CB. I would think that the trio of JC Jackson, Stephon Gilmore, and Carlton Davis (if he's not tagged, which it now appears like he won't be) would attract them. Trading for (or signing if outright released) James Bradberry also makes sense - Douglas wanted him a few years ago and he fits the system. 
  • Wide Receiver: Jets want to re-sign Braxton Berrios, but I really haven't read or heard much as it relates to interest in other FA wide receivers. Their top receiver in last year's free agency class was Chris Godwin, but he ultimately was tagged. Now, he's coming off an ACL injury and TB is rumored to be tagging him again, which eliminates him as an option. I know they would be involved in the Calvin Ridley bidding once he's available for trade, but Ridley will have a level of control where he plays next, and he may not prefer to play here. JuJu Smith-Schuster is the one free agent I have heard the team connected to, with one agent suggesting the Jets will sign him. 
  • Running Back/Fullback: the Jets are going to consider a number of options as a RB2. Marlon Mack is the name I've heard as a potential target. Also, I am very sure that Patrick Ricard is a target. He and Njoku are the two guys that my sources are really confident on. 
  • Linebacker: the Jets will look into adding a LB in free agency, but it will be more opportunistic than anything. They've shown interest in Keanu Neal and Kenny Young over the past year. 

6 minutes ago, football guy said:

Tight End: another obvious position that needs to be addressed. Everyone is talking about Dalton Schultz, but I don't think Dallas lets him walk. The guy I have heard the Jets are enamored with is David Njoku. There has been some speculation that the Browns could tag him, as they have a big offer for him on the table that he has yet to sign. If not, I feel real confident about this one coming to fruition. If not Njoku, I really don't know what direction the Jets would go. Rumor has it that Zach Ertz wants to stay on the west coast, so that's out. More likely, the Jets would have to settle for a tier-3 TE, with there being some connections to OJ Howard, Maxx Williams, Hayden Hurst, and Mo Alie-Cox, among others. If the Browns do successfully bring back Njoku, its possible the Jets would approach them about trading for Austin Hooper. Hooper is only 27 years old and was coached by Mike LaFleur during his rookie year. 

And just like that, David Njoku has been tagged. That's going to throw a wrench into the Jets free agency plans... 

8 minutes ago, football guy said:

And just like that, David Njoku has been tagged. That's going to throw a wrench into the Jets free agency plans... 

The low franchise tag amount for TEs coming into play.  It's only around $11M to tag a TE, I believe.

17 minutes ago, football guy said:

The free agency tampering window starts a week from today. Here are the latest rumors we've seen out of the media + some of my own insight... 

FREE AGENCY PRIORITIES

• Interior OL: this has been the popular, almost unanimous, rumor among several media sources, with the likes of Ryan Fowler, Connor Hughes, Aaron Wilson, and others specifically mentioning Ryan Jensen and Bradley Bozeman - both centers - as targets. Signing either would almost certainly spell the end of Connor McGovern's time here, unless they were to shift him to RG (which is possible). Whether the interest is legitimate or not, I think there's a few things to unpack: (1) they don't want CMG back at his current salary; and (2) if they address the interior by signing a RG, it likely means they will bypass OL in round 1. My take on it: this has more to do with getting Connor McGovern to renegotiate his contract. The one player I'm not ready to rule out is Brandon Scherff; Douglas loves him, but signing him would lead to a domino effect and alter the rest of their offseason plans. The one thing he doesn't come with is versatility: at this point of his career he's RG only, and Jets prefer to remain versatile. Assuming they opt against signing a big name like Scherff, they will likely re-sign Laurent Duvernay-Tardif
  • Interior DL: again, I think this could mean a few things. By putting this out there, it likely means they're either trying to get Fatukasi to reduce his ask, know that Fatukasi will be moving on and are seeking a replacement, or want to see who would be interested in the event they were to move on from Rankins. D.J. Jones would seem to be a perfect replacement for Fatukasi given his connections with the coaching staff, but he's due to make a lot of money in free agency... maybe the Jets would go after him feeling he is an upgrade on what they have? Another option to be on the lookout for: trade for Grady Jarrett. Atlanta needs to trim salary, and rumor has it they are trying to extend Jarrett. If those plans go sour, they may consider trading Jarrett, which would save them $16.5 million in cap space. He's on the final year of his deal, so the team would likely look into signing him to an extension. Otherwise, there are a ton of stop-gap options/budget-friendly replacements if Fatukasi were to walk. There's been some scuttle that Sheldon Richardson would cherish an opportunity to finish things where they started in New York. Have not heard whether the Jets feel the same way. 
  • Safety: this one is a no-brainer. Many have indicated that they will go hard for some of the top safeties, specifically Marcus Williams. I'm not so sure of that. Guys I have heard connected to the Jets are Terrell EdmundsQuandre Diggs, Jaquiski Tartt, and Jayron Kearse. I'm sure they will be interested in Williams but not to the point where they get into a bidding war for him. There are a number of other veterans who are free agents that have connections to the coaching staff, and it wouldn't surprise me to see them sign one or two of those guys to cheap deals. 
  • Tight End: another obvious position that needs to be addressed. Everyone is talking about Dalton Schultz, but I don't think Dallas lets him walk. The guy I have heard the Jets are enamored with is David Njoku. There has been some speculation that the Browns could tag him, as they have a big offer for him on the table that he has yet to sign. If not, I feel real confident about this one coming to fruition. If not Njoku, I really don't know what direction the Jets would go. Rumor has it that Zach Ertz wants to stay on the west coast, so that's out. More likely, the Jets would have to settle for a tier-3 TE, with there being some connections to OJ Howard, Maxx Williams, Hayden Hurst, and Mo Alie-Cox, among others. If the Browns do successfully bring back Njoku, its possible the Jets would approach them about trading for Austin Hooper. Hooper is only 27 years old and was coached by Mike LaFleur during his rookie year. 

• Defensive End: like Linebacker, the Jets will be opportunistic here. I saw reports linking the Jets to Za'Darius Smith if he were to be cut. I also know there's interest in Derek Barnett if the price is right. Either scenario, they will not look to break bank at DE. They're going to address the position in the draft, but they want a deep rotation of 4-to-5 guys so there's room to add a FA if the opportunity presents itself. 
  • Cornerback: I have heard very little as it relates to CB. I would think that the trio of JC Jackson, Stephon Gilmore, and Carlton Davis (if he's not tagged, which it now appears like he won't be) would attract them. Trading for (or signing if outright released) James Bradberry also makes sense - Douglas wanted him a few years ago and he fits the system. 
  • Wide Receiver: Jets want to re-sign Braxton Berrios, but I really haven't read or heard much as it relates to interest in other FA wide receivers. Their top receiver in last year's free agency class was Chris Godwin, but he ultimately was tagged. Now, he's coming off an ACL injury and TB is rumored to be tagging him again, which eliminates him as an option. I know they would be involved in the Calvin Ridley bidding once he's available for trade, but Ridley will have a level of control where he plays next, and he may not prefer to play here. JuJu Smith-Schuster is the one free agent I have heard the team connected to, with one agent suggesting the Jets will sign him. 
  • Running Back/Fullback: the Jets are going to consider a number of options as a RB2. Marlon Mack is the name I've heard as a potential target. Also, I am very sure that Patrick Ricard is a target. He and Njoku are the two guys that my sources are really confident on. 
  • Linebacker: the Jets will look into adding a LB in free agency, but it will be more opportunistic than anything. They've shown interest in Keanu Neal and Kenny Young over the past year. 

Lol. Might as well just lay down the free agent list and say the Jets will have interest in most. 

3 hours ago, football guy said:

Regarding CB - Do the Jets have any interest in Charvarius Ward?  

He's a solid CB.  He shutdown Diggs in the playoffs. Chase didn't do much either...He's big, good tackler..seems the type of CB I think Saleh likes

22 hours ago, BettyBoop said:

Moses isn’t getting $10MM/year. He couldn’t get that in his prime. He got cut rather than Wash paying him $7MM and then signed with the Jets to be a backup for $4MM. If someone else offers him $10MM they can have him.

But you don’t draft a player at #4 if the void at backup RT can be overcompensated-filled with a $5-7MM veteran known-quantity. 

All they need is a pretty good #2 guard and a backup tackle and - so long as they actually are on the field - this is a top 10 OL. 

This has turned into the most bizarre stance, whereby if a guard isn’t drafted at #4 or a center lower than #10 than it means the team isn’t taking the OL seriously. Not even pointing out - several times - that no NFL team has valued either position that highly makes a dent in this religion.

You’d think the Super Bowl was just played by 2 teams that invested heavily in the OL with 1st round draft pick after 1st round draft pick. The SB winner had ZERO 1st rounder OLmen on it. But for the Jets, with 4/5 of a plenty solid line in place, it’s an imperative. SMH. 

15 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Moses isn’t getting $10MM/year. He couldn’t get that in his prime. He got cut rather than Wash paying him $7MM and then signed with the Jets to be a backup for $4MM. If someone else offers him $10MM they can have him.

But you don’t draft a player at #4 if the void at backup RT can be overcompensated-filled with a $5-7MM veteran known-quantity. 

All they need is a pretty good #2 guard and a backup tackle and - so long as they actually are on the field - this is a top 10 OL. 

This has turned into the most bizarre stance, whereby if a guard isn’t drafted at #4 or a center lower than #10 than it means the team isn’t taking the OL seriously. Not even pointing out - several times - that no NFL team has valued either position that highly makes a dent in this religion.

You’d think the Super Bowl was just played by 2 teams that invested heavily in the OL with 1st round draft pick after 1st round draft pick. The SB winner had ZERO 1st rounder OLmen on it. But for the Jets, with 4/5 of a plenty solid line in place, it’s an imperative. SMH. 

I think its a matter of hedging their bets. It was more than Mekhi being in less than spectacular shape that irked the coaching staff. They want him to buy-in 100% physically and mentally. If we had a veteran QB, I think they would feel less pressure to invest so much into the OL, but Saleh and Douglas agree that the best way to get the most out of Zach is by ensuring he's protected up front.