What’s your ranking of Jets rivals in order of most despised?

HawkeyeJet

6 hours ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

You need to read up on Jets history. Just because you are not old enough to remember doesn't mean things didn't happen.

The Raiders were the Jets chief rivals in the 60s.  Not only were they involved in 2 epic games in 1968, but the Raiders were a ridiculously dirty team that targeted Namath (still the Jets greatest player) with intent to injure him.  And did you forget how the Raiders beat the Jets in the playoffs in consecutive seasons in 2001 and 2002 ?????

The Dolphins were cheating scumbags in the 70s and 80s and 90s before the Pats.  They dominated the AFC East for almost 20 years (1971 - 89).  And they were the main roadblock to the Jets success in the early 70s in the seasons Namath was healthy and then again in the early and mid 1980s into the early 90s. Ever hear of the Mud Bowl?  A late TD in a game in 85 cost the Jets the division title.  An embarrassing Monday night thumping started the famous losing skid in 86.  Fake spike in 94.  The Jets had their share of success vs Miami as well - beating them in 81 in the Todd is God comeback at Shea.  The O'Brien-Marino duel in 86 with the late TD to Walker to tie and again to Walker in OT.  Even when the Jets were bad, they managed to beat Miami.   And that continued in to the 90s with the Jets beating Miami in the last game in 91 to make the playoffs.  And then the Monday Night Miracle.....

The Bills were an up and coming team in the late 80s and then dominated the rivalry in the early 90s.  No love lost there over the years either.  The heartbreaking playoff loss in 81.  The embarrassing "pumpkin game" in the early 90s with the fans lighting the painters hats on fire in the stands as the Bill blew the Jets out on MNF. 

The Pats were lovable losers until 2001 and the nightmare that came with Belichick and Brady.  That history you know. It was bitter starting in 97 when Parcells left the Pats (only to be replaced by former Jets coach Pete Carroll) and then stole Curtis Martin from them.

It is impossible to live in the NYC area and not hate the "other" NYC team.  I have nothing but dislike for everything to do with the Giants.  Add them to the list.

So if I were to make a list today, it would be:

Pats (recency bias)

Dolphins (long bitter history)

Bills 

RAiders

Giants

Add in the Steelers (the losses in 2004 and 2010 still sting and the endless adoration they get from the NFL media is nauseating.

Then it changes based on the season and the situation.  I hated the Cowboys with a passion in the 70s and 80s.  I don't like the Bucs the past 2 years because of Brady.  Didn't like Cleveland because of the Mayfield game on Thursday night in 2018.  And on and on it goes.  

You're an angry guy. ;)

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, HawkeyeJet said:

2 Raiders responses immediately, I did not anticipate that.  Is there a history that I’m unfamiliar with?

Before reading those responses, Raiders did come to my mind as well. They owned us in the 2000s beating us several times often effing up our playoff hopes. 

1 hour ago, y2k8 said:

My two favorite NFL teams are the Jets and whoever is playing the Giants.

They are the only team I actually despise.

The Giants are pretty much irrelevant to me.  They play in the NFC.  I've never really understood the rivalry.  It's not in any way like Mets/Yanks (to me, anyway)

3 minutes ago, Rhg1084 said:

Jets haven’t exactly been “competitive” against the Pats or anyone for that matter in over 10 years 

F7D7A4FB-1F09-4D5F-B18A-CD343AAB58C6.png

They're competing with the same objective (to win the game) and they're both trying to be superior to each other.  One team being dominant over the other has nothing to do with it.

5 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

They're competing with the same objective (to win the game) and they're both trying to be superior to each other.  One team being dominant over the other has nothing to do with it.

You think Pats fans consider the Jets their biggest rivalry? They’d probably laugh, they don’t pay any attention to the Jets. We’re just 2 easy wins for them every year 

How do you say you are over 50 without saying you are over 50.  Dolphins.

I never really hated the Bills or Jets growing up.  There was a little gamesmanship with the Jets before JN, JI at the dawn of time on the Geocities hosted Jet Haters Website. 

29 minutes ago, Jet2020 said:

The way Jets have played the last decade, why isn’t that 6-32? Stockholm Syndrome?

Well, if we’re going to dive really deep into my psyche, it’s 

1. Jets

2. Dolphins

Etc 

Truth is, I only really dislike the other teams.  
The Jets are the ones that I truly hate. 

11 hours ago, HawkeyeJet said:

Ok so someone please explain the Raiders to me.   I imagine it’s like the Pats/Colts rivalry?  Just two good teams that always met up?  I did not know this rivalry existed.

Old school rivalry, back to the 60s and 70s.  Then again a bit in the 80s and a few playoff games later.

8 hours ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

You need to read up on Jets history. Just because you are not old enough to remember doesn't mean things didn't happen.

The Raiders were the Jets chief rivals in the 60s.  Not only were they involved in 2 epic games in 1968, but the Raiders were a ridiculously dirty team that targeted Namath (still the Jets greatest player) with intent to injure him.  And did you forget how the Raiders beat the Jets in the playoffs in consecutive seasons in 2001 and 2002 ?????

The Dolphins were cheating scumbags in the 70s and 80s and 90s before the Pats.  They dominated the AFC East for almost 20 years (1971 - 89).  And they were the main roadblock to the Jets success in the early 70s in the seasons Namath was healthy and then again in the early and mid 1980s into the early 90s. Ever hear of the Mud Bowl?  A late TD in a game in 85 cost the Jets the division title.  An embarrassing Monday night thumping started the famous losing skid in 86.  Fake spike in 94.  The Jets had their share of success vs Miami as well - beating them in 81 in the Todd is God comeback at Shea.  The O'Brien-Marino duel in 86 with the late TD to Walker to tie and again to Walker in OT.  Even when the Jets were bad, they managed to beat Miami.   And that continued in to the 90s with the Jets beating Miami in the last game in 91 to make the playoffs.  And then the Monday Night Miracle.....

The Bills were an up and coming team in the late 80s and then dominated the rivalry in the early 90s.  No love lost there over the years either.  The heartbreaking playoff loss in 81.  The embarrassing "pumpkin game" in the early 90s with the fans lighting the painters hats on fire in the stands as the Bill blew the Jets out on MNF. 

The Pats were lovable losers until 2001 and the nightmare that came with Belichick and Brady.  That history you know. It was bitter starting in 97 when Parcells left the Pats (only to be replaced by former Jets coach Pete Carroll) and then stole Curtis Martin from them.

It is impossible to live in the NYC area and not hate the "other" NYC team.  I have nothing but dislike for everything to do with the Giants.  Add them to the list.

So if I were to make a list today, it would be:

Pats (recency bias)

Dolphins (long bitter history)

Bills 

RAiders

Giants

Add in the Steelers (the losses in 2004 and 2010 still sting and the endless adoration they get from the NFL media is nauseating.

Then it changes based on the season and the situation.  I hated the Cowboys with a passion in the 70s and 80s.  I don't like the Bucs the past 2 years because of Brady.  Didn't like Cleveland because of the Mayfield game on Thursday night in 2018.  And on and on it goes.  

Appreciate the detailed post. I always enjoy reading first-hand takes of our history. 

People who know me personally know that I pride myself on being 35 but knowing NFL and individual franchise histories dating back to its roots. I just don't carry the weight of it on my shoulders. I don't walk around bemoaning the fact that the Jets haven't won in 53, because I haven't dealt with that - I only bemoan the fact that they haven't won over the last 25ish years that I've been a fan. Similarly, I know all about the Raiders and Dolphins rivalries and the brief period of Bills hatred - I just don't understand why someone would still carry that all these years later when none of those three teams have prevented us from anything. Yes the Raiders beat us in the playoffs during Penny Boy's first year - but I have very strong feelings against Pennington and I feel like even if we had gotten past the Raiders, we would have lost the following week. The steelers on the other hand - both times they beat us in the playoffs recently, I feel like we had good enough teams to contend the following weeks. 

The Patriots left us in the dust for 20 years. There was only a rivalry for a brief two year period - otherwise they curb-stomped us. That, to me, is more hate inducing than a back and forth type of rivalry. Brady openly sh*tting on the Jets, and the Pats continued dominance of our team on nationally televised games has directly driven the current Jets public perception. Of course, not making the playoffs in over a decade hasn't helped, but we're still nowhere near some of the other absolute droughts, but our public perception is that we're lower than sh*t.

Recency bias.  Pats are #1, then the Phins. 

Bills are 3rd and rising, only because I am tired of seeing videos of those so-called "great" Buffalo fans jumping through flaming tables at tailgates.  Acting like a drunken moron does not make you a great fan.  Sticking with your team through 50+ mostly disappointing seasons does. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Rhg1084 said:

You think Pats fans consider the Jets their biggest rivalry? They’d probably laugh, they don’t pay any attention to the Jets. We’re just 2 easy wins for them every year 

Are we their biggest rival?  Possibly.  If not though, we're certainly one of their biggest rivals. 

Ftr, I consider the Dolphins (not the Pats) our biggest rival (Pats 2nd).

10 hours ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

I hate every other team. There are players I like,  but I hate every other team. I find that I hate franchises based on their fanbases and my personal interaction with them.

1. Patriots. Their "fans" are the worst. Football morons that jumped on a bandwagon, and think being a fan of a team makes them smart or something.  It's weird. The team itself needs no explanation here. 

2. Dolphins/Bills 2 sides of the same coin. One fanbase is aggressively retarded, and the other is a bunch of soft pussies that bail on their team in a second. Both franchises suck almost as much as us and have been just as dumb over the years, but the media ignores them and their dysfunction over the years.

3. Cleveland. **** Cleveland. sh*thole town with white trash fans.

4. Raiders. What kind of douchebags spend 4 hours putting on makeup to watch their team get beat in a 3 hour game. Overrated franchise, and the 1960s and 70s Raiders were the biggest pack of scumbags and trash the league would see for decades.

5-32. Every other team. **** em. I hate them. 

Dolphins used to be #1 on the list for me but if I'm completely honest these days, nothing gives me schadenfreude glee quite like watching the pats and their scumbag coach lose. 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

2 minutes ago, freestater said:

Dolphins used to be #1 on the list for me but if I'm completely honest these days, nothing gives me schadenfreude glee quite like watching the pats and their scumbag coach lose. 

Same here.  But what if I phrase the question as:

If you had to choose one team (Dolphins or Pats) to have the run of dominance that the Pats just had since 2001, which would you choose?  For me, I'd still feel worse if it was the Dolphins having that success.

• Upvote 1