What’s your ranking of Jets rivals in order of most despised?

HawkeyeJet

The Jets rivals are Pats, Phins, Bills. They may switch the order based on the year or decade, but those are the actual rivals. Every year these teams fight for the same division. Imo, every other team people are listing are just teams they don’t like.

I’m sorry, but a rivalry from 40+ years ago that doesn’t mean crap now is not a rivalry in my eyes. People don’t like the Raiders for very good reasons, but they are no longer a rival. Every team in the league has, at some point, put the beatdown on the Jets. 

The Giants aren’t really a rival either. There’s always been a “me vs you” thing amongst fans, but the teams aren’t actual rivals. 

13 hours ago, HawkeyeJet said:

Ok so someone please explain the Raiders to me.   I imagine it’s like the Pats/Colts rivalry?  Just two good teams that always met up?  I did not know this rivalry existed.

Lots of boomers on here including me so my guess is Heidi bowl.

I personally have no issues with the raiders. My top pick would be steelers but they are not a rival

1. Patriots (number 1 by a mile. I despise them on every level)

2. Dolphins (easily number two)

3. Giants (hate has subsided over the years but when I was in HS and would go back and forth with various buddies who were Giants fans, I hated them)

4. Raiders (really, really hated them in the early 2000s -- knocked us out of the playoffs in 2001 and 2002 and it's always stuck)

5. Steelers (just on general principle. Obnoxious fans and their towels, always disliked them)

I'm sure the Bills will make it eventually if they continue to be good (especially if we become respectable as well and they're "in our way" but I find them difficult to hate, TBH.)

• Upvote 1

Following history...

Back in the old days of the 60's It was the Raiders

Then the Dolphins in the 80's

Then the Pats in the 90's - 2000's

Next, probably the Bills.

I'm not in the majority in any of those cases.  I have always despised the Steelers and their fans above all.  Second on my $hit list is the Giants and their fans.  Coming up the rear for me is the Cowboys and their fans. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

The Giants are pretty much irrelevant to me.  They play in the NFC.  I've never really understood the rivalry.  It's not in any way like Mets/Yanks (to me, anyway)

Playing in Giants Stadium for 25 years damaged me. 

Yankees and Mets don't have a"rivalry" in the traditional sense either. 

59 minutes ago, the Claw said:

The Giants aren’t really a rival either. There’s always been a “me vs you” thing amongst fans, but the teams aren’t actual rivals. 

The fan aspect is a big part of what constitutes a rivalry. It's essential. 

• Upvote 2

Back story first.  Little Hawkeye plays countless imaginary NFL games in the living room.  When he really is begging for attention he will play against one of the Jets rivals.  

Tonight he said something to the affect that he knew I hated the Giants and I said actually I don’t care about the Giants much, but I’m sure Jets fans that live in New York don’t like them.  Then I started thinking what people around here would rank as their own most hated rivals.
My list is Patriots, Dolphins and Bills in that order.  Giants don’t register as a rival for me.
I also thought the Pats would be unanimous #1 but then I figured some fans 50 and older might say Dolphins.  
What say you?

1. Patriots
2. Dolphins

Giants, Steelers and Bills fans annoy me, not so much their organization.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, y2k8 said:

The fan aspect is a big part of what constitutes a rivalry. It's essential. 

It can’t be in this case, though. Jets play the Giants once every four years or whatever. The fan thing in this case is more akin to brothers giving eachother wet willies. There’s just no real serious rivalry between the two teams. It’s not even in the same galaxy as the Pats, Phins, or Bills. Maybe they’re the biggest NFC rivals, but thats about it.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, the Claw said:

It can’t be in this case, though. Jets play the Giants once every four years or whatever. The fan thing in this case is more akin to brothers giving eachother wet willies. There’s just no real serious rivalry between the two teams. It’s not even in the same galaxy as the Pats, Phins, or Bills. Maybe they’re the biggest NFC rivals, but thats about it.

agree to disagree. 

also, player feeling notwithstanding, the OP asked to list in order of *our* most despised. For me that's easily the Giants. 

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

You need to read up on Jets history. Just because you are not old enough to remember doesn't mean things didn't happen.

The Raiders were the Jets chief rivals in the 60s.  Not only were they involved in 2 epic games in 1968, but the Raiders were a ridiculously dirty team that targeted Namath (still the Jets greatest player) with intent to injure him.  And did you forget how the Raiders beat the Jets in the playoffs in consecutive seasons in 2001 and 2002 ?????

The Dolphins were cheating scumbags in the 70s and 80s and 90s before the Pats.  They dominated the AFC East for almost 20 years (1971 - 89).  And they were the main roadblock to the Jets success in the early 70s in the seasons Namath was healthy and then again in the early and mid 1980s into the early 90s. Ever hear of the Mud Bowl?  A late TD in a game in 85 cost the Jets the division title.  An embarrassing Monday night thumping started the famous losing skid in 86.  Fake spike in 94.  The Jets had their share of success vs Miami as well - beating them in 81 in the Todd is God comeback at Shea.  The O'Brien-Marino duel in 86 with the late TD to Walker to tie and again to Walker in OT.  Even when the Jets were bad, they managed to beat Miami.   And that continued in to the 90s with the Jets beating Miami in the last game in 91 to make the playoffs.  And then the Monday Night Miracle.....

The Bills were an up and coming team in the late 80s and then dominated the rivalry in the early 90s.  No love lost there over the years either.  The heartbreaking playoff loss in 81.  The embarrassing "pumpkin game" in the early 90s with the fans lighting the painters hats on fire in the stands as the Bill blew the Jets out on MNF. 

The Pats were lovable losers until 2001 and the nightmare that came with Belichick and Brady.  That history you know. It was bitter starting in 97 when Parcells left the Pats (only to be replaced by former Jets coach Pete Carroll) and then stole Curtis Martin from them.

It is impossible to live in the NYC area and not hate the "other" NYC team.  I have nothing but dislike for everything to do with the Giants.  Add them to the list.

So if I were to make a list today, it would be:

Pats (recency bias)

Dolphins (long bitter history)

Bills 

RAiders

Giants

Add in the Steelers (the losses in 2004 and 2010 still sting and the endless adoration they get from the NFL media is nauseating.

Then it changes based on the season and the situation.  I hated the Cowboys with a passion in the 70s and 80s.  I don't like the Bucs the past 2 years because of Brady.  Didn't like Cleveland because of the Mayfield game on Thursday night in 2018.  And on and on it goes.  

This is a great post. I agree with Don Maynard, 1968 AFC Championship game is my all-time favorite memory.

• Upvote 1

Patriots

Dolphins

Giants

Bills

Yes Giants over Bills and I lived through the Jim Kelly/Thurman Thomas/Andre Reed/Bruce Smith buzzsaw that embarrassed us for years.

Bills fans are pretty cool and their best teams were never hatred inducing to me.

Besides New England, I hate Giants fans more than any other NFL fanbase.

The Raider hatred has pretty much completely dissipated for me at this point to not even mentioned on the list, but I felt an explanation was worth mentioning given the history.

5 hours ago, the Claw said:

The Jets rivals are Pats, Phins, Bills. They may switch the order based on the year or decade, but those are the actual rivals. Every year these teams fight for the same division. Imo, every other team people are listing are just teams they don’t like.

I’m sorry, but a rivalry from 40+ years ago that doesn’t mean crap now is not a rivalry in my eyes. People don’t like the Raiders for very good reasons, but they are no longer a rival. Every team in the league has, at some point, put the beatdown on the Jets. 

What we're only supposed to forget about the history of the JETS because you said so... You've got no cred if you don't understand the JETS entire history... To say 40+ years ago doesn't matter show's your lack of knowledge. The Raiders were our first real rivalry and don't forget it.

Downvote away cause that's your MO.

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, HawkeyeJet said:

Ok so someone please explain the Raiders to me.   I imagine it’s like the Pats/Colts rivalry?  Just two good teams that always met up?  I did not know this rivalry existed.

For me it's not just the Heidi bowl, it's that the Raiders were considered the team to beat back then... They had a team of very famous players. When JN came into the league, it was game on, and those games were blood baths. Hendricks had it out for Joe, and showed it everytime he had the opportunity to tackle him behind the line of scrimmage. Those games were awesome. That's when football was played as football. Go find Art Donovan interviews from the Baltimore colts and you'll crack up. Those were guys who enjoyed the game. I get that it was much more violent back then, and I like some of the push for player safety, but football now, is not the same as football back then. 

20 hours ago, HawkeyeJet said:

Back story first.  Little Hawkeye plays countless imaginary NFL games in the living room.  When he really is begging for attention he will play against one of the Jets rivals.  

Tonight he said something to the affect that he knew I hated the Giants and I said actually I don’t care about the Giants much, but I’m sure Jets fans that live in New York don’t like them.  Then I started thinking what people around here would rank as their own most hated rivals.

My list is Patriots, Dolphins and Bills in that order.  Giants don’t register as a rival for me.

I also thought the Pats would be unanimous #1 but then I figured some fans 50 and older might say Dolphins.  

What say you?

I am a 62 year old Jets fan, and the Patriots have taken over the most hated rival, beating out the Dolphins for the #2 spot.

RAIDER-HATERS FOREVER! NAMATH & PALS STILL CAN’T STAND THE SILVER & BLACK

January 11, 2003 5:00am

YOU don’t know how Super a Jet victory over the Raiders tomorrow would be for Joe Namath and the Super Bowl III champion Jets.

“I disliked them because of their overly aggressive – I hate to say dirty – play,” Namath said by telephone. “But there were situations where you got a hand in your face, or scratched at the eyes. Your head would get twisted when you were on the ground. Little extra things that kinda got you ticked at them.”

The rivalry was intense because the Raiders were good, and Brooklyn-born owner Al Davis was ruthless. “He did everything he could to win and still does,” Namath said.

The classic illustration of Raider thuggery came when defensive end Ben Davidson broke Namath’s cheekbone with a late cheapshot. “I don’t remember that play,” Namath said. “All I remember when I got to the sidelines after the series was telling [orthopedic surgeon] Dr. [James] Nicholas it felt like air was coming out of my left jaw area. The big change for me was I went to a cage facemask after that.”

Exactly 34 years to the day later, the Super Bowl III Jets will be rooting their Jets on against The Team They Loved To Hate. Namath will be at the game.

“Oh, we hated the Raiders,” punter Curley Johnson was saying over the telephone. “Just their attitude. The fans’ attitude. Al Davis and his attitude. They used to call timeout and have the officials come over and check my shoes to see if I had weights in my kicking shoe. [Jim] Hudson didn’t like anybody. Winston Hill, he couldn’t stand Ben Davidson. I’ve seen Ben Davidson kick Winston on extra points. We just didn’t like very many of ’em at all.”

Were the Raiders dirty? Is the sky blue? Or black and blue? “They would take some shots that really weren’t what one would call kosher,” tight end Pete Lammons said.

Then-defensive coordinator Walt Michaels believes the Heidi game – New York never saw the Raiders storm back in the last minute for a 43-32 victory No. 17, 1968 because NBC switched to the fairytale – was the most vicious. “Every play was almost as if it was gonna break out into something,” Michaels said.

Michaels resented Davis for firing him not long after his linebacking days ended.

Whenever a helicopter would fly over practice, Weeb Ewbank suspected Davis. Michaels accused Davis of placing a halftime call near the locker room during a 1982 playoff game in L.A. when it actually was a bettor from Queens trying to rattle the Jets. “I remember one year they watered down the field, and they had a drought,” WR Don Maynard said. “Al Davis said the sprinkler broke, and they brought in a helicopter to dry off the field to make a good impression.”

At practice in Oakland, Ewbank noticed workers watching from the stands. “He sent [equipment manager] Bill Hampton upstairs to see who the guys were,” Michaels said.

The Jets always felt the deck was stacked against them in Oakland. “It’s because you were playing 11 ballplayers and five referees,” Maynard said.

Maynard recalls when Hudson, a safety who was sidelined with a dislocated hip, flipped Oakland fans the bird as he was walking off the field. “Whatever they could throw, they threw at us,” Maynard said.

The most memorable game was the 1968 AFL Championship at frigid Shea. The Jets survived the Raiders 27-23 to reach Super Bowl III. “That was the pressure game,” Maynard said. “There was no pressure at the Super Bowl. All I had to do was show up and they were gonna give me the loser’s share.”

At halftime of that AFL Championship, ex-Giant Maynard uncharacteristically spoke up. The Jets were leading 13-10. Maynard caught the game-winning, six-yard TD. “I’d waited 10 years to go to this deal, and I wanted to get even with the NFL too,” he said. “I was cranked to the hilt.”

Guard Dave Herman, all 255 pounds of him, was moved to left tackle in place of Sam Walton to block 300-pound Ike Lassiter. “When we were getting to play the Raiders,” Herman recalled, “it was like Al Davis was coming to play New York City.”

Today New York city is coming to play Al Davis.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

15 hours ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

You need to read up on Jets history. Just because you are not old enough to remember doesn't mean things didn't happen.

The Raiders were the Jets chief rivals in the 60s.  Not only were they involved in 2 epic games in 1968, but the Raiders were a ridiculously dirty team that targeted Namath (still the Jets greatest player) with intent to injure him.  And did you forget how the Raiders beat the Jets in the playoffs in consecutive seasons in 2001 and 2002 ?????

The Dolphins were cheating scumbags in the 70s and 80s and 90s before the Pats.  They dominated the AFC East for almost 20 years (1971 - 89).  And they were the main roadblock to the Jets success in the early 70s in the seasons Namath was healthy and then again in the early and mid 1980s into the early 90s. Ever hear of the Mud Bowl?  A late TD in a game in 85 cost the Jets the division title.  An embarrassing Monday night thumping started the famous losing skid in 86.  Fake spike in 94.  The Jets had their share of success vs Miami as well - beating them in 81 in the Todd is God comeback at Shea.  The O'Brien-Marino duel in 86 with the late TD to Walker to tie and again to Walker in OT.  Even when the Jets were bad, they managed to beat Miami.   And that continued in to the 90s with the Jets beating Miami in the last game in 91 to make the playoffs.  And then the Monday Night Miracle.....

The Bills were an up and coming team in the late 80s and then dominated the rivalry in the early 90s.  No love lost there over the years either.  The heartbreaking playoff loss in 81.  The embarrassing "pumpkin game" in the early 90s with the fans lighting the painters hats on fire in the stands as the Bill blew the Jets out on MNF. 

The Pats were lovable losers until 2001 and the nightmare that came with Belichick and Brady.  That history you know. It was bitter starting in 97 when Parcells left the Pats (only to be replaced by former Jets coach Pete Carroll) and then stole Curtis Martin from them.

It is impossible to live in the NYC area and not hate the "other" NYC team.  I have nothing but dislike for everything to do with the Giants.  Add them to the list.

Pats (recency bias)

Bills 

RAiders

Giants

Add in the Steelers (the losses in 2004 and 2010 still sting and the endless adoration they get from the NFL media is nauseating.

Then it changes based on the season and the situation.  I hated the Cowboys with a passion in the 70s and 80s.  I don't like the Bucs the past 2 years because of Brady.  Didn't like Cleveland because of the Mayfield game on Thursday night in 2018.  And on and on it goes.  

A little perspective on the Mud Bowl now that I'm a little older.  The Packers under Lombardi took care of NFL business in the first 2 SB.  Both the Chiefs and the Raiders were very good teams.  They were arguably as good as the 68 Jets.   Shula had arguably a better team than the 66 and 67 Packers.  That Colts team was highly favored in large part because Lombardi's Packers kicked the crap out of the Chiefs and the Raiders and the Colts were even more dominating.  

I think that loss to the Jets was a stain on Shula that he could never get away from.  Shula is a HOF coach but he's not the legend that was Lombardi and would never be because of that loss.  The perfect season, the SB none of it got that taste out of his mouth.  The mud bowl may well have been partly the result of his own insecurity and hate of the Jets.  Looking back on it I can see how a guy like Shula couldn't live with it.   Namath and the 68 Jets took Shula's greatest team and pissed all over it.  

The mud bowl always made me see him as just another insecure guy who at his core was simply afraid to play it straight and needed an edge to win.  

• Upvote 4

59 minutes ago, y2k8 said:

agree to disagree. 

also, player feeling notwithstanding, the OP asked to list in order of *our* most despised. For me that's easily the Giants. 

Upvoted you for the "our" part, I have no rivalry feeling about the Giants... For me my rivalries are the AFC, not NFC.

4 minutes ago, Biggs said:

A little perspective on the Mud Bowl now that I'm a little older.  The Packers under Lombardi took care of NFL business in the first 2 SB.  Both the Chiefs and the Raiders were very good teams.  They were arguably as good as the 68 Jets.   Shula had arguably a better team than the 66 and 67 Packers.  That Colts team was highly favored in large part because Lombardi's Packers kicked the crap out of the Chiefs and the Raiders and the Colts were even more dominating.  

I think that loss to the Jets was a stain on Shula that he could never get away from.  Shula is a HOF coach but he's not the legend that was Lombardi and would never be because of that loss.  The perfect season, the SB none of it got that taste out of his mouth.  The mud bowl may well have been partly the result of his own insecurity and hate of the Jets.  Looking back on it I can see how a guy like Shula couldn't live with it.   Namath and the 68 Jets took Shula's greatest team and pissed all over it.  

The mud bowl always made me see him as just another insecure guy who at his core was simply afraid to play it straight and needed an edge to win.  

Al Davis never pretended to be anybody but who he was, Shula was like Eddie Haskell.

16 hours ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

Pats (recency bias)

Bills 

RAiders

Giants

Wow.    Just wow agree with it all.  You on the therapists couch??

1 hour ago, Jethead said:

Al Davis never pretended to be anybody but who he was, Shula was like Eddie Haskell.

Al Davis was the Pro Wrestler who LOVED being the heel.   Loved 80,000 people booing him

For me, #1 is the Pats.   BB on down, I hate them, sh*t my 1st marriage didn't even last 20 years like the Pats have.

#2  Dolphins, just going back to the Mud Bowl, literally the 1st season I watched football

#3  Ravens.   I just hate them.  All of them

• Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, 68JET11 said:

What we're only supposed to forget about the history of the JETS because you said so... You've got no cred if you don't understand the JETS entire history... To say 40+ years ago doesn't matter show's your lack of knowledge. The Raiders were our first real rivalry and don't forget it.

Downvote away cause that's your MO.

Oh ffs. I never said to forget history or that it doesn’t matter. I’m saying I think it’s way past time to move on from calling the Raiders an active rival.

2 hours ago, southparkcpa said:

Wow.    Just wow agree with it all.  You on the therapists couch??

I'm fine.  I've lived with all of this for almost 60 years.  I was just reacting to the person who posted that he did not understand disliking any team other than the Pats because those other teams never cost the Jets anything. Seriously?  The heartache is only recent?  Nope.  

3 hours ago, Biggs said:

None of that is any excuse for what he pulled on that rainy weekend in 1983.  He should have coached a better game in SB III then and had his team better prepared.   And he should have followed protocols and covered the field in 83.  Miami already beat the Jets twice in 82. He should have had confidence in his team and his coaching and not cheated to gain an advantage.   I just don't have much respect for Shula as a coach or a man.  The undefeated team gets credit for being one of the best of all time, but they beat nobody. The 73 Dolphins played maybe the weakest schedule of any SB winning team.  The 74 team was much better.  To have all of those great teams and to win only 2 titles - no wonder he is not considered in Lombardi's class.  

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

3 hours ago, the Claw said:

Oh ffs. I never said to forget history or that it doesn’t matter. I’m saying I think it’s way past time to move on from calling the Raiders an active rival.

I never called them active, I just said in my first post that they were a rival back in the 60' and 70's.

On 2/15/2022 at 9:17 PM, Untouchable said:

I don’t give a sh*t how old school you are. I’ve been a Jets fan since the early 70’s.

New England is at the top of the heap. Miami has been even more of a non-factor than we’ve been since Marino retired. How the hell are you still putting them above the team who shoved our noses in sh*t for the last 20 years with 6 Superbowl wins along the way with the HC who dicked us over a barrel within a 24 hour period, found the GOAT in the 6th round during the same year we took a once promising QB who may have ended up having the worst luck in NFL history, and the dickbag organization that was wrapped up in at least two cheating scandals?

Patriots

Dolphins 

Bills

Raiders

Nice post.

IMHO the Ravens have to be somewhere on everyone's list.  I put them above the Raiders and the Bills.

I put the Giants above the Bills and Raiders as well.

• Upvote 1