Very interesting tweet Re: Jets being potential conduit for Vet QB trades

HawkeyeJet

There’s not exactly a lot of players on the Qb needy teams I’d be excited about for the 10th or 4th picks. 
denver- jeudy would be nice but not worth the 10th.  Maybe jeudy and their 2nd for 10.   Sutton-blah

Washington -mclauren or one of their d lineman?

bucs-tryon and one more player

I feel JD is dealing 10 for a player...who I don't know. 

I think he knows alot of guys around 10 in this weak draft could be a gamble. Take the safe proven vet with 3-4 years left in the tank over a rookie at 10. 

It makes sense, you still get a rookie at 4 and two more in the early 2nd. 

Hoping he deals. A big WR or TE be idea. Use defense pick at 4

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Godwin is a 1. 

I would agree with you 100% if he hadn't torn his ACL. Sometimes players don't recover from that all the way, and it would suck to trade a high pick for a player that isn't nearly as good as when he last had tape.

2 hours ago, HawkeyeJet said:

You don’t see this type of trade in the NFL often.  Much more common in NBA and MLB.

This would certainly be one way to accelerate and mesh the desire to build a contender but still keep some important draft capital.

I’d also add that DJ has reached the level where I don’t think he tweets out something like this if he doesn’t know something along these lines has already been discussed and at least there is some mutual interest.

Indy could also be a possibility. 

https://www.espn.com/blog/indianapolis-colts/post/_/id/27185/if-indianapolis-colts-move-on-from-carson-wentz-who-would-be-an-upgrade

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, Hex said:

I would agree with you 100% if he hadn't torn his ACL. Sometimes players don't recover from that all the way, and it would suck to trade a high pick for a player that isn't nearly as good as when he last had tape.

Fair enough. This top 10 looks so weak it would be the year to consider it. 

• Upvote 1

41 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Godwin is a 1. 

Why is this a thing? He's played on stacked teams with aggressive vertical playcalling where he was never the #1 option. Over the last two years, he also had a HoF QB throwing him the ball. I don't see any of that translating to WR1 on the Jets. Plus, he's coming off an ACL.

We're not seeing the same thing.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, HawkeyeJet said:

You don’t see this type of trade in the NFL often.  Much more common in NBA and MLB.

This would certainly be one way to accelerate and mesh the desire to build a contender but still keep some important draft capital.

I’d also add that DJ has reached the level where I don’t think he tweets out something like this if he doesn’t know something along these lines has already been discussed and at least there is some mutual interest.

I mean, I gave this an upvote but what does this really mean? nothing. Not without any suggested teams in the exchange. 

I'm not surprised AT ALL that GMs are considering this. Teams trade proven players for draft capital (and to clear cap) all the time. Would not surprise me at all if some of them were also in the market for a vet QB. I bet teams tried to to this by acquiring draft capital but could not make a QB trade happen.

Having said this, its interesting that the Jets are mentioned. Immediate thought is- who has draft picks and wants a vet QB? Broncos? Washington? Carolina? I mean, I dunno. Its not a huge list. If you are the Broncos, do you give up one of your young, talented WRs for a Jets first rounder and then use that along with the 9th overall pick + whatever it takes for a Watson, Wilson, Rodgers type? If you are the Jets do you take Jeudy or Sutton for a your 10th overall pick? Or are you targeting a different player/position in the draft? Its a lot to think about.   

13 minutes ago, greenwichjetfan said:

Why is this a thing? He's played on stacked teams with aggressive vertical playcalling where he was never the #1 option. Over the last two years, he also had a HoF QB throwing him the ball. I don't see any of that translating to WR1 on the Jets. Plus, he's coming off an ACL.

totally agree. I see him as a piece, like a corey davis. Not a true #1. Nobody is gameplanning to stop Godwin.

12 minutes ago, greenwichjetfan said:

His last season with Jameis his production was a #1. I can’t dock him for playing with Evans- he’s produced on the outside and inside, clutch on 3rd downs, just a really really good receiver.  The ACL would be the only hesitation but that’s what the doctors are for. Swapping the 10th pick in a bad first round would be a no brainer from me. That’s the luxury of having a lot of picks.

1 minute ago, Snell41 said:

Really?? He wasn’t a 1 on TB. McCareins, Davis, Decker…. Yeah let’s pile Godwin on that list too

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

Mccariens? Stop. Corey Davis has been an underperforming player since he was drafted, Godwin hasn’t. Decker was one of the last good signings the Jets have had.

1 minute ago, Matt39 said:

His last season with Jameis his production was a #1. I can’t dock him for playing with Evans- he’s produced on the outside and inside, clutch on 3rd downs, just a really really good receiver.  The ACL would be the only hesitation but that’s what the doctors are for. Swapping the 10th pick in a bad first round would be a no brainer from me. That’s the luxury of having a lot of picks.

If the ACL is a question, why not keep the pick and draft Jameson Williams? Way younger, and more than likely, way better.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

His production was WR1 but he wasn't going up against CB1s, and they played in a high volume pass attack which resulted in Jameis throwing 30tds but also 30ints. I don't want to give up draft capital + $$$ for 2019 production when I know that it's not going to be replicated in 2022 or beyond with the Jets. 

All else being equal, I'd much rather trade the 10 to DAL for Cooper, knowing that DAL is looking to get out of that contract. And if he ends up just getting cut, I'd rather throw tons of cash at him and preserve the 10 for a trench player in the draft. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, greenwichjetfan said:

His production was WR1 but he wasn't going up against CB1s, and they played in a high volume pass attack which resulted in Jameis throwing 30tds but also 30ints. I don't want to give up draft capital + $$$ for 2019 production when I know that it's not going to be replicated in 2022 or beyond with the Jets. 

All else being equal, I'd much rather trade the 10 to DAL for Cooper, knowing that DAL is looking to get out of that contract. And if he ends up just getting cut, I'd rather throw tons of cash at him and preserve the 10 for a trench player in the draft. 

Godwin is only 25. If Wilson is what we drafted him to be then Godwin will produce. If the idea is Wilson isnt the guy already then yeah keep the picks. I’ve seen a lot of Godwin over the last few years and he’s a beast, IMO. Clutch, tough, and can route every route. 

I’d rather Gallup over Cooper tbh. 

50 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

If Indy wants to give us Q Nelson they can have pick 10. Otherwise I don’t see anyone on their roster worth giving up that pick for. Maybe Darius Leonard?

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Godwin is only 25. If Wilson is what we drafted him to be then Godwin will produce. If the idea is Wilson isnt the guy already then yeah keep the picks. I’ve seen a lot of Godwin over the last few years and he’s a beast, IMO. Clutch, tough, and can route every route. 

I’d rather Gallup over Cooper tbh. 

Fair enough. We disagree. Short of Zach becoming Peyton in Peyton's second year, I don't see Godwin justifying his price (pick+$$) on the Jets. Entirely different offense from what Arians ran which doesn't necessarily play to Godwin's strengths. And this is all assuming Godwin will be all the way back from the ACL. 

3 hours ago, HawkeyeJet said:

Wasn't D Jeremiah offered a job with the Jets or he turned it down if I remember?  His cred is worth listening to...however, between now and draft day, you will see plenty of smoke coming from teams and media.

15 minutes ago, NIGHT STALKER said:

Wasn't D Jeremiah offered a job with the Jets or he turned it down if I remember?  His cred is worth listening to...however, between now and draft day, you will see plenty of smoke coming from teams and media.

I don’t remember exactly but he and McShay are both connected to Douglas.  I believe DJ and Douglas worked together in Baltimore.  McShay and Douglas were college teammates.  I remember one of them being rumored to have a potential staff job, but can’t recall which.

This is only interesting because for one of those teams to land the caliber QBs potentially available, I feel it makes no players on these rosters untouchable. (Watt and Nelson might be exceptions) QB > ALL

Denver
Washington 
New Orleans
Las Vegas
Chicago
Pittsburgh
Miami
Indianapolis 
Carolina