Very interesting tweet Re: Jets being potential conduit for Vet QB trades

HawkeyeJet

This is an NBA type of trade.  Where three or even four teams can be involved in executing picks and players transactions. Like the NFL...THE NBA does have a CAP.  And if you're going to trade star players with big contracts, sometimes this becomes a way to accomplish it.

So if star NFL players...especially QBs...like Russel Wilson, Rodgers and Watson desire to be moved to another team.  Doing it NBA style may be a practical way to accomplish it in some cases. 

If this type of trade successfully happens involving teams like Jets and Giants.  IMO you can then expect this type of trade to start becoming a method of dealing with unhappy or headache case players.   

I can imagine a bulging closet of ex player's jerseys!  Makes me wanna back off for a couple of years before buying one for sure.  Lol...maybe it'll force fans to start trading jerseys to match these types of player transactions.  

Welcome to the musical chair carousel movement of NFL stars...THE NBA WAY!

10 minutes ago, NYJCAP2 said:

This is only interesting because for one of those teams to land the caliber QBs potentially available, I feel it makes no players on these rosters untouchable. (Watt and Nelson might be exceptions) QB > ALL

Denver
Washington 
New Orleans
Las Vegas
Chicago
Pittsburgh
Miami
Indianapolis 
Carolina

So nobody’s untouchable huh? Do you think Washington hangs up the phone on JD if we offer pick 4 for Chase Young?

1 hour ago, Matt39 said:

Jets fans falling in love with a bad draft and a GM who’s been uneven at best at drafting. Chris Godwin is a better receiver than any reviver available at 10.

This is a terrible year to have 2 top 10 picks, so naturally the Jets do. I’d give Joe Douglas a C on his overall body of work so far. And I still would never make that trade.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Cbucco19 said:

Any chance we can. Get jeudy ? @football guy

I think there's a real chance, but it all hinges on Aaron Rodgers. The exact scenario Jeremiah laid out is what someone close to Zach told me a while ago now. If Aaron says he wants to play for Denver, two things will happen: (1) Denver will need to add some tradable assets; and (2) Aaron will look to bring Davante Adams with him. 

Denver recently signed Courtland Sutton and Tim Patrick to extensions and they have both Jeudy and Hamler under contract. Hamler has been oft-injured and isn't bringing back much in a trade. They could trade Sutton or Patrick and net decent returns, but not nearly as much as Jeudy. I'm sure Aaron would want them to keep all their good players, but can't have your cake and eat it too... some assets would need to be moved.

Jeudy is only 22 and is cheaply under team control for 3 more years, so he would probably net the most in any trade. Chubb is coming off a down year, is on the final year of his deal, and Denver have very little pass rush depth behind him; I don't think he's someone they'll logically look to deal. 

The real question is whether Green Bay would prefer picks or to take Jeudy on themselves in this hypo. Many think that they will treat 2022 as a reset year if Aaron leaves, hence why a high draft pick could be more appetizing than Jeudy himself. 

• Upvote 3

6 minutes ago, football guy said:

I think there's a real chance, but it all hinges on Aaron Rodgers. The exact scenario Jeremiah laid out is what someone close to Zach told me a while ago now. If Aaron says he wants to play for Denver, two things will happen: (1) Denver will need to add some tradable assets; and (2) Aaron will look to bring Davante Adams with him. 

Denver recently signed Courtland Sutton and Tim Patrick to extensions and they have both Jeudy and Hamler under contract. Hamler has been oft-injured and isn't bringing back much in a trade. They could trade Sutton or Patrick and net decent returns, but not nearly as much as Jeudy. I'm sure Aaron would want them to keep all their good players, but can't have your cake and eat it too... some assets would need to be moved.

Jeudy is only 22 and is cheaply under team control for 3 more years, so he would probably net the most in any trade. Chubb is coming off a down year, is on the final year of his deal, and Denver have very little pass rush depth behind him; I don't think he's someone they'll logically look to deal. 

The real question is whether Green Bay would prefer picks or to take Jeudy on themselves in this hypo. Many think that they will treat 2022 as a reset year if Aaron leaves, hence why a high draft pick could be more appetizing than Jeudy himself. 

Juedy to Green Bay instead of a pick kinda makes no sense. He’s be wasted by the time they figure out the QB spot.

Would rather try to stock pile high picks.

I can see them dealing Chubb too or whoever. If Aaron Rodgers and Devante Adams are staring you in the face you’re not gonna let those kinda guys get in the way of that happening. 

18 minutes ago, Zachtomims47 said:

Juedy to Green Bay instead of a pick kinda makes no sense. He’s be wasted by the time they figure out the QB spot.

Would rather try to stock pile high picks.

I can see them dealing Chubb too or whoever. If Aaron Rodgers and Devante Adams are staring you in the face you’re not gonna let those kinda guys get in the way of that happening. 

Yes if you think Jordan Love is absolutely not the answer. If you think he is or may be, then you value Jeudy. Can't fairly assess Jordan Love if his only receivers under contract are Allen Lazard and Amari Rodgers

• Upvote 2

42 minutes ago, football guy said:

Those scenarios make perfect sense! What do you think we'd need to trade to get Jeudy? I don't love the idea of parting with #10 for him, anything else I'd probably be cool with.

20 minutes ago, bla bla bla said:

Those scenarios make perfect sense! What do you think we'd need to trade to get Jeudy? I don't love the idea of parting with #10 for him, anything else I'd probably be cool with.

Probably #10 for Jeudy and #40.

Then they would probably trade something like #9, #10, #75, 2023 1st (possibly more) for both Rodgers and Adams, which adds another element. Regardless if Rodgers stays or goes, the Packers need to create a lot of cap space to franchise tag Adams. However, if Rodgers indicates he wants to go to Denver, the Packers will start shedding salaries left and right so that they can get under the salary cap in order to tag-and-trade Adams. That could lead to some opportunities for the Jets - whether it be by signing a guy they let go or trading for a player like Adrian Amos or Darnell Savage. 

• Upvote 1

I would take Zadarius Smith and Jeudy for the 10

16 minutes ago, football guy said:

Probably #10 for Jeudy and #40.

Then they would probably trade something like #9, #10, #75, 2023 1st (possibly more) for both Rodgers and Adams, which adds another element. Regardless if Rodgers stays or goes, the Packers need to create a lot of cap space to franchise tag Adams. However, if Rodgers indicates he wants to go to Denver, the Packers will start shedding salaries left and right so that they can get under the salary cap in order to tag-and-trade Adams. That could lead to some opportunities for the Jets - whether it be by signing a guy they let go or trading for a player like Adrian Amos or Darnell Savage. 

6 hours ago, choon328 said:

The Jets should be looking to move #10 for a #1 WR. The Bills used a #1 to trade for Stefon Diggs and it immediately changed the trajectory for Josh Allen.

The vikings took Justin Jefferson with that pick who is cheaper and already better so I don't think that trade justifies us doing the same. 

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Matt39 said:

Assuming the injury checks out. Every receiver at some point tears their knee it seems. 

I’d take a shot at Godwin for sure. My issue would be, if the Jets had the picks that would satisfy Houston’s demands for Deshaun Watson, the Jets should just make the deal for Deshaun Watson. The Jets are currently a dead franchise, absolutely no one is excited about the future of Zach Wilson, every analyst and prognosticator sees the Jets outright sucking again next season, but we’re going to serve as the middleman in delivering Watson to Tampa Bay why exactly? 

• Thumb Down 2

11 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

The Jets are currently a dead franchise, absolutely no one is excited about the future of Zach Wilson, every analyst and prognosticator sees the Jets outright sucking again next season

You gotta get outside more. 

• Haha 2

If Rodgers or Wilson are leaving their current teams because they lack enough talent, it would be odd that they would want to go to the broncos after they trade away Jeudy and Chubb.

As for Godwin,  he's really good but not sure giving up a 1st and the Cap space for a guy coming off a late season ACL tear is a great idea.

7 hours ago, Matt39 said:

The move id pull the trigger on is Godwin and Tryon-Shoyinka for picks 4 and 10. Blockbuster but a win-win for both teams IMO if the Bucs can get a QB. There’s no doubt they were a bit blindsided by Brady’s retirement and they aren’t going with Gabbert or Fitzpatrick again.

Godwin is a free agent. He gets to pick where he goes.  Hint - he's not likely to pick the Jets.  He's going to get wined and dined by teams that want him.  I don't see him agreeing to sign with a team that would turn around and trade him to the Jets.  Plus I think any such trade would cause a huge cap hit for the team that signs him because they remain responsible for a portion or all of the signing bonus......

13 minutes ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

Godwin is a free agent. He gets to pick where he goes.  Hint - he's not likely to pick the Jets.  He's going to get wined and dined by teams that want him.  I don't see him agreeing to sign with a team that would turn around and trade him to the Jets.  Plus I think any such trade would cause a huge cap hit for the team that signs him because they remain responsible for a portion or all of the signing bonus......

Pretty sure this is under the assumption that they are tagging Godwin.

6 hours ago, Snell41 said:

I think the pinnacle of arrogance and stupidity is the Jets brass considering us as nothing more than a conduit as opposed to being a recipient of a high quality veteran QB. Zach has done nothing to show he’s gonna take the step needed to lead the team.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

He played less than his full rookie season.  When will you figure this out. The Pinacle of arrogance and stupidity would be to dump out at this point, to not see what he becomes.  

On 2/16/2022 at 11:47 AM, HawkeyeJet said:

You don’t see this type of trade in the NFL often.  Much more common in NBA and MLB.

This would certainly be one way to accelerate and mesh the desire to build a contender but still keep some important draft capital.

I’d also add that DJ has reached the level where I don’t think he tweets out something like this if he doesn’t know something along these lines has already been discussed and at least there is some mutual interest.

i haven't done algebra in a long time but doesn't there have to be a team Y in here to make sense?

50 minutes ago, batman10023 said:

i haven't done algebra in a long time but doesn't there have to be a team Y in here to make sense?

Yes, and team Y is the team shipping the QB as he says in his tweet

For example(and I’m not playing the game of who thinks who is worth what value, it’s just an example)

Broncos(team X) send Jerry Juedy and Bradley Chubb to Jets(team Z)for pick 10 and a 4th Rounder.

Broncos send #9, #10 and a 3rd Rounder to Green Bay(team Y) for Rodgers.

• Upvote 1

23 hours ago, Matt39 said:

His last season with Jameis his production was a #1. I can’t dock him for playing with Evans- he’s produced on the outside and inside, clutch on 3rd downs, just a really really good receiver.  The ACL would be the only hesitation but that’s what the doctors are for. Swapping the 10th pick in a bad first round would be a no brainer from me. That’s the luxury of having a lot of picks.

He is a free agent to be. Why on earth would you be trading for him?

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Matt39 said:

Indexed 

Sick lol. Just indexed it too 

You want us to trade our #10 pick for a dude we are going to have to pay big time for, who is coming off a late season ACL injury, who his own original team has not prioritized over another receiver (Mike Evans). 

AND you want them to trade this asset  (#10 pick) in early spring of this year…less than 4 months post op with Joe Douglas never seeing if he can literally do anything cuz he’ll basically only be jogging by then in terms of football moves. 

Idc if Godwin turns into Megatron next year, trading an asset like the #10 pick on this much uncertainty and a Receiver who isn’t and never has been in the top tier of receivers in the league is insanity