F-them picks

Rhg1084

12 hours ago, jeremy2020 said:

The key is hitting on your acquisitions no matter where they come from.. 

This.  Teams have multiple avenues for acquiring talent.  Trade, FA, Draft waiver claims, PS poaching.  We just need to add talent however we can find it.  Something we have not done well enough across all channels.

• Upvote 3

19 hours ago, k-met57 said:

the plan has to be to build the foundation through the draft and then take big shots via trade and FA market. i think thats how its worked for every team that's been successful in this model.

Correct. Even successful teams that are 90% built through the draft end up 1- shelling out to keep their good players and 2- going after high priced FAs or premium players via trade to take them over the top. 

Even the Patriots went out and got Revis.  

3 minutes ago, PepPep said:

Finance Newsletter GIF by tastytrade

If either of us is cherry picking, it's you.  Zach did not have a good year.  He was a rookie though so that's not surprising (though Herbert was terrific as a rookie with a terrible OL).  Zach did look more confident and competent the last few games so I have hope going into next year.  But on the whole, he still has A LOT to prove.

1 hour ago, Snell41 said:

The formula is to employ an elite QB. Period. It’s why we continue to fail miserably.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

Not even that, Stafford was a really good QB on a fail team for years, Marino, Hell kirk cousins puts up impressive numbers.

There have been 3 or 4 or ore superbowl winners with not even lousy QBs and a lot more that got to the big game.

• Upvote 1

59 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

If either of us is cherry picking, it's you.  Zach did not have a good year.  He was a rookie though so that's not surprising (though Herbert was terrific as a rookie with a terrible OL).  Zach did look more confident and competent the last few games so I have hope going into next year.  But on the whole, he still has A LOT to prove.

I know he struggled as a rookie. I know I was cherry picking. That was my whole point, lmfao. My whole point was that posts that show one terrible (or great) play don't tell the whole story. Not even close. So he threw an easy dump-off into the ground. He also had a beautiful off-scripted bomb for a TD.

Had you written something like your reply it would make a lot more sense. There just seem to be a whole group of fans on here that essentially say 'here- look at this terrible play. Zach sucks and he's a bust.' Which, like I said, doesn't tell the whole story.     

• Upvote 1

21 hours ago, IndianaJet said:

His model has worked well, to help them win 1 superbowl.

Let's see where they are in the next couple of years.

Last 5 years the Rams have never had a lossing season, been to the playoffs 4 times went to 2 SB and won a SB.  They haven't had a lossing season since they fired Fisher and hired McVay after a 4 and 12 season.  Prior to hiring McVay the Rams hadn't had a winning season since 2003.  They did go to the playoffs at 8 and 8 in 2004.

5 years with a winning record.   4 playoff appearances.  2 SB appearances and NFL champions.   That's a fantastic rebuild by any standard.

• Upvote 2

54 minutes ago, PepPep said:

I know he struggled as a rookie. I know I was cherry picking. That was my whole point, lmfao. My whole point was that posts that show one terrible (or great) play don't tell the whole story. Not even close. So he threw an easy dump-off into the ground. He also had a beautiful off-scripted bomb for a TD.

Had you written something like your reply it would make a lot more sense. There just seem to be a whole group of fans on here that essentially say 'here- look at this terrible play. Zach sucks and he's a bust.' Which, like I said, doesn't tell the whole story.     

I was responding to a post saying "The formula is to employ an elite QB. Period. It’s why we continue to fail miserably."  and posted an embarrassing throw from our QB as a joke.  

• Upvote 1

21 hours ago, CanadienJetsFan said:

The last two winners have proven that you can buy a super bowl.

The last two SB winners also dumped sunk cost at the QB position to win a SB.  It's not a coincidence that the Rams and the Bucs unloaded two underwhelming No. 1 draft picks at QB, upgraded the position and won.  The reality is if the two drafted QB's turned into studs they would have cost as much or more than who they replaced them with.  

The Cardinals unloaded Rosen after 1 year and are now going to be in position to possibly have to move on from Murray who was part of the reasons the Cardinals didn't make the SB last year.  

Elite QB's get paid.  What the Rams and the Bucs did wasn't buying a SB it was paying market price for elite QB play.  If Zach turns into an elite QB he will cost as much or more than Stafford or Brady cost.  If he's not elite we would be better off dumping the sunk cost and moving on.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Dunnie said:

Just like you find guys thinking this IS the best way. Laughable.

IMO - there's no one right or wrong way to do it. You just have to figure out a way that works. A lot of times that's going to mean going out on a limb and doing things that go against conventional wisdom.

The Jets have figured out some good ways that don't work. So we've got that going for us.

1 hour ago, Biggs said:

The last two SB winners also dumped sunk cost at the QB position to win a SB.  It's not a coincidence that the Rams and the Bucs unloaded two underwhelming No. 1 draft picks at QB, upgraded the position and won.  The reality is if the two drafted QB's turned into studs they would have cost as much or more than who they replaced them with.  

The Cardinals unloaded Rosen after 1 year and are now going to be in position to possibly have to move on from Murray who was part of the reasons the Cardinals didn't make the SB last year.  

Elite QB's get paid.  What the Rams and the Bucs did wasn't buying a SB it was paying market price for elite QB play.  If Zach turns into an elite QB he will cost as much or more than Stafford or Brady cost.  If he's not elite we would be better off dumping the sunk cost and moving on.

Yes but quarterbacks aside, both teams did load up heavily at other critical positions as well.

isn’t that the definition of “buying” a SB?

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, CanadienJetsFan said:

Yes but quarterbacks aside, both teams did load up heavily at other critical positions as well.

isn’t that the definition of “buying” a SB?

No it's a capped league.  They didn't buy a SB.  They put together a roster that wasn't perfect, not close to a lock to win the SB, within the rules of the salary cap and won the SB.

By your definition we bought a team that won 4 games and was a cluster F to watch.   

OBJ was cut, Von Miller was given away.  Waddle came out of retirement and got vet minimum.  

• Upvote 1

On 2/16/2022 at 2:37 PM, Rhg1084 said:

I think the QB they traded 2 1st round picks had something to do with their super bowl win 

And they needed multiple first round picks to trade for that QB. They didn't sign him as a FA... Also, that QB wasn't doing much until he got to a team that drafted well leading to at least a few of its core players

There’s isn’t a magic blueprint to win a super bowl…every team does it differently. Donald and Kupp were drafted. If Donald wasnt disruptive on the last play Burrow would’ve hit Chase for a wide open TD. Stafford does not Win without Kupp making tough catches. He basically had to fill in for OBJ

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Embrace the Suck said:

And they needed multiple first round picks to trade for that QB. They didn't sign him as a FA... Also, that QB wasn't doing much until he got to a team that drafted well leading to at least a few of its core players

The gave away draft picks to get Von Miller and Denver picked up his salary.  Miller was an 800K salary to the Rams.  OBJ signed for 400K.  The Rams actually have most of their team signed next year and they won't be needing a lot of salary cap for draft picks.   They will also be able to restructure Kupp, Stafford and Donald if he doesn't retire to hold on to most of their corp players.   If Woods is healthy next year they really don't need to sign OBJ.

1 hour ago, Biggs said:

No it's a capped league.  They didn't buy a SB.  They put together a roster that wasn't perfect, not close to a lock to win the SB, within the rules of the salary cap and won the SB.

By your definition we bought a team that won 4 games and was a cluster F to watch.   

OBJ was cut, Von Miller was given away.  Waddle came out of retirement and got vet minimum.  

And believe it or not, pieces like OBJ, Von Miller, and Waddle coming to your team is largely because you're almost there. It's easier to form a super team when your team is good to begin with.

On 2/16/2022 at 4:00 PM, CSNY said:

As did the Jets. Ronnie Lott. Erik Howard ,Leonard Marshall, Art Monk and it got them nowhere.There needs to be a good foundation through drafting then unleash the money through free agency to get you over the top 

Stafford, Von Miller, OBJ all have a lot more left in tank than the over the hill superstars the Jets signed. Big difference. Allen went with experienced players and hated rookies. All  these guys you mentioned the Jets signed were already toast. 

4 hours ago, doitny said:

that was when they let him be him. after his injury he looked like he would get fined if he threw it over 20 yards.

they need to let him play his kind of game.

I think they will. I actually think it was correct for them to reign him in so that he could focus on getting his basics right. I mean, the Jets shouldn't have thrown him into the fire in the first place. He probably needed a season holding the clipboard. But sometimes you need to make sure you get the simple stuff down first. He was having trouble with that and seemed to be turning the ball over a lot. I think reigning him in was the right thing to do. 

This season, with a healthy Moore and Davis, and hopefully a couple shiny new toys, I think the Jets will start letting him loose. They know he has an accurate deep ball and a cannon for an arm. They know he is good with off-script plays. You would think they use that to their advantage. 

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, Biggs said:

This is a perk of being on the cusp in the first place.  We arent landing big talent at the end of their careers that are looking for a place to win.  When we start winning and are clearly ready for a run you'll see a few guys head over here for a big market SB run.  It will be nice.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, rtnelson said:

This is a perk of being on the cusp in the first place.  We arent landing big talent at the end of their careers that are looking for a place to win.  When we start winning and are clearly ready for a run you'll see a few guys head over here for a big market SB run.  It will be nice.

Nice that you used the word when.  It implies it will happen and recognizes the time frame might be after the 6th extinction in Earth's history. 

• Haha 1