Thoughts on this 1st Round Mock?

PepPep

3 hours ago, Beerfish said:

Who is a difference maker in this draft?   My answer?  No one, maybe Hutchinson, maybe, and he will most likely be gone.

The guy from Oregon has a chance to be. At least from a skills point of view. His attitude, and effort???

• Upvote 1

Like the Wilson pick at 10.

JJ is listed as the #11 Edge/DLine prospect on the site I use.  Seems a bit reachy?

SCOUTING REPORT: STRENGTHS

• When given the opportunity he became the leader of the FSU defense - really grew into the role
  • Has ridiculous athletic skills - at only 15, he benched 300 pounds, ran a 4.5 40-yard dash, and put up a 4.55 5-10-5 shuttle
  • He has ideal size for an edge rusher at 6'5" and 262 lbs is tall and lean
  • Tougher between the tackles than many expect.
  • Is extremely physical at the point of attack
  • Nice loose hips give him great lateral ability
  • Nice bag of pass rush moves - has well-developed hands, a nice spin move, double hand swipe rip, and a powerful bull rush
  • Can provide a powerful inside rush - his stunts are a nightmare for offensive lineman
  • Has a filled-out frame with good thickness. Plays at full speed at all times with an active motor and determined quickness in pursuit.
  • Spent a lot of time outside the box in coverage while at Georgia so has the experience and zone ability to play as a standup linebacker
  • Downhill defender and physical tackler. Uses his eyes to decipher and break down the play, showing good awareness and discipline to sniff out fakes.
  • Dominated in senior bowl practices displaying elite speed and strength. He won most of his one-on-one reps during practice — and making the opposing offensive tackles look silly

SCOUTING REPORT: WEAKNESSES

• Limited experience having only played one year at his natural position at defensive end
  • Hits up high and misses more tackles than he should.
  • Can be engulfed by bigger offensive tackles and struggle to get away from them
  • Limited vision and is easily fooled by misdirection. Lacks range and lateral agility in coverage.
  • Will need to develop his skills as a defensive end at the next level. While it is obvious it is his natural position it's also obvious he lacks some high level technique

SCOUTING REPORT: SUMMARY
Johnson has been rocketing up draft boards after his dominating 2021 season with FSU. He has massive upside as a pass rusher with all athletic tools you could wish for. If he doesn't blow up the combine it will be a major surprise.

If Johnson can continue to develop at the position that he is still relatively new at - we expect him to have a big impact at the next level and possibly put up double-digit sack numbers.

Don't be surprised if he slides into the bottom of the first round of the 2022 NFL Draft, although we consider him more of a mid-second selection.

3 hours ago, rangerous said:

another ohio state wide receiver?  has there ever been a really good one?  the jets drafted devin smith.  terry glenn didn't exactly light it up in foxboro.

Rule 1:  Beware of Ohio State WR's and USC QB's

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, genot said:

There's only three players worth drafting at #4. Hutchinson, KT, and Hamilton. If they're gone, you trade down. That's about the only thing I'm sure about in this draft.

We cannot draft Hamilton at 4. 

Have we not learned anything? 

I guess we could a draft haul for him in a fews. 

On 2/18/2022 at 10:53 AM, PepPep said:

To be honest, I would not hate it. I'm a huge fan of JJ and I think he will be even more of a riser as the draft approaches than he already is. There's a good chance he doesn't last to 10th overall. He's a bit of a gamble but of he can develop into a 3 down lineman in the NFL, he could be a really, really good player. Hutch and Thib are off the board anyway. Yes, we pass on Ekwonu but I really like the idea of adding a dangerous, high upside pass rusher.

Wilson is considered by many to be the top WR so I don't mind picking him up at 10. Ekwonu, Hamilton and Cross are off the board. Seems like a sensible pick. Especially if we don't aggressively address WR in FA.  

I think in this scenario I would target an OT/G or TE (McBride) and LB (Harris) in Rd. 2.  

New York Jets, 2022 NFL Mock Draft, Picks

Awful.  Jets dont need a 1st rnd wr. 

They should use both 1st rnd picks on one side of the ball, to stack it.  Edge rusher & DB or tackle and the center.  Then the 2 2nd rnd picks on the other side.

If Mims, Moore, Davis, and a mid level free agent arent enough wrs to get the Jets to 8 or 9 wins, and show if Wilson is real, the the decision makers have shown they have no business evaluating and acquiring wrs.

3 hours ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Michael Thomas and Terry Mclauren would disagree.

11 minutes ago, adb280z said:

The Jets would be thrilled to have a WR group of Michael Thomas, Terry McLaurin and Curtis Samuel.

I’ve never understood why laundry dictates whether you take someone or not. 

It’s so randomly illogical. 

Look at the player, not the school. 

On 2/18/2022 at 11:56 AM, section314 said:

This would take balls, but what would you think?  Sign a #1 WR in FA, and take Jameson Williams at #10.

#1 WR is a finishing piece.  They are always disgruntled and acquirable.  Concentrate assets on O-line and defense, and lets see is Wilson is the answer.

11 minutes ago, Peace Frog said:

We cannot draft Hamilton at 4. 

Have we not learned anything? 

I guess we could a draft haul for him in a fews. 

I agree. He's as much of a sure thing as anyone in the draft. Hoping he's there at #4, so we can trade down. Hamilton might be worth that high a pick. Not for us, though.

51 minutes ago, genot said:

I agree. He's as much of a sure thing as anyone in the draft. Hoping he's there at #4, so we can trade down. Hamilton might be worth that high a pick. Not for us, though.

Very well done there. Would love that. Can’t see anyone trading down for a S thought but I’d love it. 

• Sympathy 1

30 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

I think this is a far more realistic than mocks that have us taking Stingley or Hamilton. We’ll just need to see what Johnson does at the combine. If he has the measurables, the production is there.

We cannot (i)take a S at 4 or (ii) take a CB at 10. 

Can. 

Not. 

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Peace Frog said:

lol I mean you’re a Jet fan and you mockingly revel I this? 

Hahahahahaaaa.  

What are your thoughts on this Mock? A trade at #10 with Pittsburg. Get a 2023 #1 and a 3rd this year to move back to #20. Only issue I have is the position selected at #4

https://www.si.com/nfl/jets/news/new-york-jets-trade-first-round-pick-2022-nfl-mock-draft-pittsburgh-steelers-sam-howell#gid=ci0299e0f47000270f&pid=roger-mccreary

On 2/18/2022 at 10:53 AM, PepPep said:

To be honest, I would not hate it. I'm a huge fan of JJ and I think he will be even more of a riser as the draft approaches than he already is. There's a good chance he doesn't last to 10th overall. He's a bit of a gamble but of he can develop into a 3 down lineman in the NFL, he could be a really, really good player. Hutch and Thib are off the board anyway. Yes, we pass on Ekwonu but I really like the idea of adding a dangerous, high upside pass rusher.

Wilson is considered by many to be the top WR so I don't mind picking him up at 10. Ekwonu, Hamilton and Cross are off the board. Seems like a sensible pick. Especially if we don't aggressively address WR in FA.  

I think in this scenario I would target an OT/G or TE (McBride) and LB (Harris) in Rd. 2.  

New York Jets, 2022 NFL Mock Draft, Picks

While Ekwonu is a good tackle, he is considered a monster at guard, and if you put him at right guard, next to Becton, you have a real shot at not only protecting Zach better, but running the ball better from both sides.  The Jets have been listed as the 6 worst team running the football last year.

Think about that for a second.  Is Johnson going to have a better impact on the defense than Ekwonu will have on offense?  I think not.

If the 2 top edge rushers are gone, and Ekwonu is available at #5, the Jets would be utterly stupid to pass him up.  

So no, I do not like your mock draft.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

On 2/18/2022 at 11:00 AM, Sammybighead said:

totally fine with it. I think my preference is to attack edge and WR in round one. I'm not commenting on the players chosen (even though I do like them), just saying the positions chosen are good.

Unfortunately in this draft most of the good Oline is gone, was hoping one of those guys would drop to rd 2 but it's not the end of the world as we'd get our choice of TE at top of rd 2 if we want to go that route. Or double down on WR and take christian watson...

The. Jets. Don’t. Need. A. Top. 4. Or. A. Top. 10. OL. Prospect.

They. Just. Need. A. #2. Guard. And. Some. Backup/Depth.

On 2/18/2022 at 11:46 AM, JTJet said:

**** that mock in the ass. 

Pretend we focus on three or four positions of need in free agency WR, S, OT or OG

Kayvon is falling, Williams is falling, who cares about a center at 10. Pick great players regardless of positional "value".

Take this and dont look back. No trades. Almost 50/50 split Off/Def

(FWIW this draft had Neal/Hutchinson/Hamilton going 123)

20220218_113657.thumb.jpg.f77dae71b27eb21b871856ec99641169.jpg

So armed with #4 and #10 we should come away with an edge with supposed motivation issues, and a 3rd-4th tier position (at a position the team already has filled with an under-30 veteran).

Sounds very Jets. 

What’s our round 2, an injured RB and a kicker?

3 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

So armed with #4 and #10 we should come away with an edge with supposed motivation issues, and a 3rd-4th tier position (at a position the team already has filled with an under-30 veteran).

Sounds very Jets. 

What’s our round 2, an injured RB and a kicker?

Yes. 

"Supposed motivation issues" sounds like you read the pre draft tabloid disinformation. 

And I would rather have a center that's a lock for the next decade plus.

I also think it's funny that you joke about an injured RB in the second, but half the people on here want an injured CB in the first who hasnt played in well over a year. 

18 hours ago, DirtyJersey said:

Awful.  Jets dont need a 1st rnd wr. 

They should use both 1st rnd picks on one side of the ball, to stack it.  Edge rusher & DB or tackle and the center.  Then the 2 2nd rnd picks on the other side.

If Mims, Moore, Davis, and a mid level free agent arent enough wrs to get the Jets to 8 or 9 wins, and show if Wilson is real, the the decision makers have shown they have no business evaluating and acquiring wrs.

Who starts on the OL (and where) if the Jets take a tackle and a center at 4 and 10?

42 minutes ago, Alka said:

While Ekwonu is a good tackle, he is considered a monster at guard, and if you put him at right guard, next to Becton, you have a real shot at not only protecting Zach better, but running the ball better from both sides.  The Jets have been listed as the 6 worst team running the football last year.

Think about that for a second.  Is Johnson going to have a better impact on the defense than Ekwonu will have on offense?  I think not.

If the 2 top edge rushers are gone, and Ekwonu is available at #5, the Jets would be utterly stupid to pass him up.  

I don’t like Johnson at 4 but impact wise edge rusher >>> right guard.

Also the Jets didn’t run for a lot of yards, but their yards per carry was in the top half of the league - and the run game got better as the year went on. They just couldn’t run the ball as often as teams that ran for more yards because they were in a negative game script so often.

2 minutes ago, JTJet said:

Yes. 

"Supposed motivation issues" sounds like you read the pre draft tabloid disinformation. 

And I would rather have a center that's a lock for the next decade plus.

I also think it's funny that you joke about an injured RB in the second, but half the people on here want an injured CB in the first who hasnt played in well over a year. 

Half the people here want Stingley? I feel like any time someone mocks it there’s a thread posted and everyone grabs their torches and pitchforks. I think more people want Gardner than Stingley.

35 minutes ago, Alka said:

Well, its not MY mock draft lol. Its Andrew Golden's mock. 

I love Ekwonu. My dream scenario would be Thib sliding to 4 and Ekwonu to 10- with teams assuming he is a Guard, not a T at the NFL level. I'm also not a fan of the WR class and would rather not invest a top 10 pick in a WR this year. If the rest of the picks went down like his mock and Thib was gone at 4 I would take Ekwonu too and then Karl/Ojabo at 10 (depending on coach/gm preference and fit).

Having said that, I do love JJ and firmly believe this is a fantastic opportunity to vastly improve our pass rush, something we have been lacking for years. Not only because of the magnitude of the talent in said drafted player but because of the circumstance the Jets find themselves in. They have talent on the interior and a potentially impact edge rusher coming back from injury next year in Lawson. If Thib and Hutch are off the board, I have 3 guys after that- JJ, Ojabo and Karl. Neck and neck with each other. Hitting on any one of those guys could completely change the Jets pass rush. It depends on fit and who the Jets prefer but I have no issue with that guy being JJ. Thats really all i'm saying. If he shoots up boards and the Jets decide they can't let him fall to 10, I have no issue if they pulled the trigger at 4, age be damned. He's a great prospect. 

As far as the Golden's prediction of Wilson at 10. Again, that's the part that I don't love- but then again, the Jets are getting their choice of receiver in the draft to give Zach another weapon so he can continue to develop. Nothing wrong with that. You can't tell me they can't fill the Guard spot later in the draft or in FA.  

• Upvote 1