Jermaine Johnson II at #4?

Just now, JetBlue said:

Pretty much like this entire age issue.  The dude is a dog and should have 5-7 seasons of quality play.  That is long enough for me. 

Duration of time in the league isn’t the issue. General impact is. 

31 minutes ago, JetBlue said:

I believe he just turned 23 a few months ago... 

So he’ll turn 24 late in his rookie year haha.

This was in the context of taking him at 4. It’s very different at 26.

1 hour ago, JetBlue said:

Pretty much like this entire age issue.  The dude is a dog and should have 5-7 seasons of quality play.  That is long enough for me. 

As I understand it, the age argument is about the advantage he enjoyed in college (generally a sizable difference between a 23 year old and a 20 year old physically) as opposed to his longevity in the league.

Either way, I think JJ is going to excel in this defense and it's between he and Breece Hall for who will have the most impactful rookie season IMO.

• 1 month later...
On 4/14/2022 at 10:58 PM, maury77 said:

That's cool man, I'm not a scout either and my opinion is no better than yours. At the end of the day we all want to see the Jets do well. I honestly don't really love any of the edge guys in this class (Hutch and KT included). I liked Jaelan Phillips better last year than any of the edges this year. I think at this stage I'd rather go, say, Gardner at 4, Wilson (hopefully) at 10, then take 2 edges in the second round and hope that at least one of them pans out (Ojabo, Mafe, Ebiketie). 

Reading this 10 weeks later, that was a hell of a 1st round you predicted.  Sauce, Wilson, and the Edge (in a trade up).

• Upvote 4

30 minutes ago, chirorob said:

Reading this 10 weeks later, that was a hell of a 1st round you predicted.  Sauce, Wilson, and the Edge (in a trade up).

When I saw people saying Wilson at 10 I thought it was wishful thinking and he’d never be there lol.  I wouldn’t have been mad to see him at 4 lol.  

• 1 month later...
On 4/14/2022 at 8:58 PM, maury77 said:

That's cool man, I'm not a scout either and my opinion is no better than yours. At the end of the day we all want to see the Jets do well. I honestly don't really love any of the edge guys in this class (Hutch and KT included). I liked Jaelan Phillips better last year than any of the edges this year. I think at this stage I'd rather go, say, Gardner at 4, Wilson (hopefully) at 10, then take 2 edges in the second round and hope that at least one of them pans out (Ojabo, Mafe, Ebiketie). 

Pretty solid analysis and similar to what I was saying pre draft.

• Upvote 1

• 5 weeks later...
On 5/2/2022 at 8:30 AM, JetBlue said:

I believe he just turned 23 a few months ago... 

In terms of value I wouldn't let his age affect my thinking too much.  Either he'll be a good player or he won't.  If he's good then he can find a way to well into his 30's just as guys like John Abraham, Reggie White, etc. did.  Jets have the 5th year option on him as a 1st rounder so he could be under contract until he turns 28 just before his 6th season.

He's been okay this preseason, but not great.  Still like the pick in the 20's.  2022 should be a year he's rotating at Edge and learning from pros like Lawson. 

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

In terms of value I wouldn't let his age affect my thinking too much.  Either he'll be a good player or he won't.  If he's good then he can find a way to well into his 30's just as guys like John Abraham, Reggie White, etc. did.  Jets have the 5th year option on him as a 1st rounder so he could be under contract until he turns 28 just before his 6th season.

He's been okay this preseason, but not great.  Still like the pick in the 20's.  2022 should be a year he's rotating at Edge and learning from pros like Lawson. 

We did this multiple times in this thread, but the problem with him turning 24 this year has nothing to do with his ages during his professional career. It’s that he didn’t break out in college until he was a 22 almost 23 year old, occasionally playing against much younger and therefore less physically and technically developed athletes. Old breakouts have been risky for that reason, it in part factored into his fall.

And was discussed within the context of him being drafted fourth overall - as the thread title suggests. At this point he hasn’t been playing like someone who should’ve been drafted fourth overall and fell to the twenties. Which is fine, since he was drafted in the twenties. But I don’t think you would’ve seen the same push back on this thread if the title had 26 in it rather than 4.

• Upvote 2