Robby Anderson wants to come home to the Jets

Rhg1084

2 hours ago, IntoTheGreen said:

At 9 mill I'm not taking either, but in no world is Anderson more valuable as a #4 when he doesnt play specials and Berrios is more than solid on specials. 

Robbys worst year is way better than Berrios best year… Berrios sucks. And I’m sure Robby would have no problem returning kicks/punts… he’s one of the fastest guys in the league 

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Rhg1084 said:

Robbys worst year is way better than Berrios best year… Berrios sucks. And I’m sure Robby would have no problem returning kicks/punts… he’s one of the fastest guys in the league 

He's never done it. Not even as an UDFA. He's all of a sudden going to do it now? Sorry, not happening. 

48 minutes ago, CanadaSteve said:

Yea, no he doesn't.

Najee Harris, Keelan Cole, Jameson Crowder, Darrell Williams (KCs 3rd string RB) Jalen Guyton (who I bet you don’t even know who that is)… what do they all have in common? They had more receiving yards than Berrios last year. And that’s with Berrios being our #1 WR for about 7 weeks 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Anderson isn't at all a fit for the kinds of receivers we acquire here at 49ers East.  I don't see this becoming a reality.  

Douglas didn't want him in the offense he was a fit for. I agree, I don't see them wanting him now.

Robby would be great at the Jet Sweeps but I don't see them paying his current salary to be the 4th receiver.

• Upvote 3

4 hours ago, Rhg1084 said:

Put it this way if we’re spending $9m for a #4 WR I’d rather have Robby > Berrios 

RHG  Anderson made the wrong decision now he has to understand he is not coming back to the Jets as the Player he was when he left. Davis and Moore are the starting wide receivers for the Jets and if Anderson wants the position as a starter he is going to have wait his turn to beat them out.

For the Jets this deal has to be made as close to Risk Free as possible. What that means is Anderson's existing contract with the Panthers is torn up and a New Contract with the Jets is drawn up. Say 2 years with a Salary of 6 million for year 1 guaranteed. That is split 50/50 with Carolina. And Carolina had better like that deal if they expect any compensation at all. 3 Million out of their wallet is a heck of a lot better than 15 million out of their wallet. Then if Anderson proves his worth to the extent the Jets want to keep him a round then his salary goes up to 8 million for year 2. Year 2 is an option and NOT guaranteed. After that the Jets and Anderson will negotiate for further services based upon what he has shown in the previous two seasons.

Carolina also should disabuse themselves of the idea they are receiving a treasure trove early Draft Picks to consummate this deal. The Jets are doing Panthers a favor by relieving them of the the bulk of the Cap Hit for the deal they negotiated with Anderson.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, IndianaJet said:

They’d have to trade him.  He’s got two years left on his deal and like a $15 million dead cap hit if he’s cut.  (If I’m reading the info right). 

His base this year is $10 million with another $3million in roster/workout bonuses. 

I doubt the Panthers would cut him and take that hit, so we would have to trade for him. I don’t want to give up high picks for him, especially at that price.  

It appears they’d save $5MM but they wouldn’t feel any savings on the cap until next year. They’d avoid $2MM of that $10MM salary and $3MM in new bonus money. They’d still eat $8MM in guaranteed salary, plus 2023’s amortized bonus hit would accelerate to 2022 also. They might get around that by deeming him a June cut (I think that’d nix the new roster bonus payment, while still spreading the past SB over his remaining 2 seasons, but in terms of cap that’s a sunk cost anyway.

The other way of looking at his situation, from the Panthers’ perspective, is he’d cost $5MM more to keep than cut. Unless it’s at least partly personal, I don’t think he’s getting cut. So much is sunk into him that they may as well cross their fingers for him to rebound. They’re sunk into Darnold for almost $20MM as it is, so just bite the bullet, and maybe if Anderson gets out to a good start they might be able to eat some of that 2022 salary & trade him (like the Jets did with Leo Williams).

13 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

It appears they’d save $5MM but they wouldn’t feel any savings on the cap until next year. They’d avoid $2MM of that $10MM salary and $3MM in new bonus money. They’d still eat $8MM in guaranteed salary, plus 2023’s amortized bonus hit would accelerate to 2022 also. They might get around that by deeming him a June cut (I think that’d nix the new roster bonus payment, while still spreading the past SB over his remaining 2 seasons, but in terms of cap that’s a sunk cost anyway.

The other way of looking at his situation, from the Panthers’ perspective, is he’d cost $5MM more to keep than cut. Unless it’s at least partly personal, I don’t think he’s getting cut. So much is sunk into him that they may as well cross their fingers for him to rebound. They’re sunk into Darnold for almost $20MM as it is, so just bite the bullet, and maybe if Anderson gets out to a good start they might be able to eat some of that 2022 salary & trade him (like the Jets did with Leo Williams).

But if he is traded to the Jets can't the Jets condition that trade on reaching a prior agreement with Anderson to renegotiate his contract ? That renegotiation can include the Panthers pick up an agreed upon percentage of the base salary the 2022 negotiated salary. The Panthers would be on the hook for that and any amortized bonus money. It wouldn't be cheap but it would be alot cheaper than hanging on to him and then Anderson is off the Panthers books for 2023. So in essence the Panther's do get some Cap relief, maybe not as much as they like, but they also get a couple of Mid-Round picks. Say a 5th Round pick in 2022 and a conditional 4th round in 2023 if he is on the roster for that season.

51 minutes ago, WestCoastMole said:

But if he is traded to the Jets can't the Jets condition that trade on reaching a prior agreement with Anderson to renegotiate his contract ? That renegotiation can include the Panthers pick up an agreed upon percentage of the base salary the 2022 negotiated salary. The Panthers would be on the hook for that and any amortized bonus money. It wouldn't be cheap but it would be alot cheaper than hanging on to him and then Anderson is off the Panthers books for 2023. So in essence the Panther's do get some Cap relief, maybe not as much as they like, but they also get a couple of Mid-Round picks. Say a 5th Round pick in 2022 and a conditional 4th round in 2023 if he is on the roster for that season.

Sure, but what's in it for Anderson?

He’s already guaranteed $8MM from Carolina. Absent major offsets in his deal (I’ve no idea if there are any, some, or all against that $8MM), if they cut him he still gets that plus whatever more he’d get as a FA.

As far as him being off the books, yes and no. Depends when the trade is made, but even in any dream scenario case they can’t avoid the last 2/3 of his $11M signing bonus.

The problem is no one is eating that contract enough to make a major dent in savings over just cutting him:

• keep him for $13MM, either for the whole season or hope to trade him by the deadline (if he rebounds a bit but they still don’t want him anymore)
  • cut him for $8MM (avoids $2MM more in non-guar salary, plus another $3MM in new bonus $)
  • trade him and eat at least half that $13MM, if someone else is willing to trade them a pick for the privilege of taking on $6-7MM this year, plus a team option for another $12MM in 2023

In order for Carolina to bother they’d have to recoup a high enough pick, like the Jets did in getting a future 3rd & more for Leo W, but nobody’s offering that up for Robby A in this offseason.

I don’t know what they’re thinking, but guess more likely than not they’ll hold their nose this offseason and let him play out the year. They’re on the hook for so much for Darnold as it is that (absent a major Darnold turnaround) it won’t matter.

1 hour ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Sure, but what's in it for Anderson?

A chance to save his job.

I suspect Anderson has been already been told he is not figuring in the Panther's plan going forward. Even if he is retained he will be riding the pines for the season with occasional snaps as a situational substitution. If the Panthers and Jets work out deal Anderson may not see much playing time the first half of the season but as soon as Davis or Moore gets injured Anderson gets his shot. If he doesn't make good then its on the streets for Robby. That's why this deal has to be made Risk-Free for the Jets.

There are 3 parties involved in this hitch-up, the Panthers, the Jets and Anderson. each has to be equally invested in eating a chunk of the loss. The Jets can pull the Panthers and Anderson out of the fire but the deal has to be made risk free for them. Otherwise the Jets will just blow another one of their Bazillon Draft Picks on a Wide Receiver.

12 hours ago, Larz said:

Doesn’t play special teams. Turning 29 in may. 

low priority 

Also JD let him walk for a reason(s). He was and still is a one trick pony. Never appeared fond of blocking and does he run routes precisely which is required in this offense?

Correct me if I’m wrong but doesn’t  the SF offense require receivers to be at certain windows of the field?

13 hours ago, IndianaJet said:

They’d have to trade him.  He’s got two years left on his deal and like a $15 million dead cap hit if he’s cut.  (If I’m reading the info right). 

His base this year is $10 million with another $3million in roster/workout bonuses. 

I doubt the Panthers would cut him and take that hit, so we would have to trade for him. I don’t want to give up high picks for him, especially at that price.  

If cut, Panthers will save $1.1m. If Robby is traded the team acquiring him would have him for 2 years, first year at $13m and the second year at $12m.

I don't want to pay Robby that much at this point plus give up a pick to get him.

• Upvote 2

13 hours ago, Rhg1084 said:

This is a bad take.  Two reasons off the bat:

1) Berrios had a catch % of 70.8 last season.  Anderson had a catch % of 48.2% last season.  Anderson dropped 57 passes(!).

2) See chart...

image.png

Berrios is worth more to this team straight up than Anderson.  And I would argue that it's not even close.

• Upvote 3

37 minutes ago, nycdan said:

This is a bad take.  Two reasons off the bat:

1) Berrios had a catch % of 70.8 last season.  Anderson had a catch % of 48.2% last season.  Anderson dropped 57 passes(!).

2) See chart...

image.png

Berrios is worth more to this team straight up than Anderson.  And I would argue that it's not even close.

Yeah that’s call all of Berrios catches are 3 yards pass the LOS! Anyone could have a high catch rate when he’s running 3 yard routes. Robby at least can stretch the field vertically and keep a defense honest. Berrios does none of those things

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Rhg1084 said:

Yeah that’s call all of Berrios catches are 3 yards pass the LOS! Anyone could have a high catch rate when he’s running 3 yard routes. Robby at least can stretch the field vertically and keep a defense honest. Berrios does none of those things

More Mandela Effect at work.

Anderson's Y/R last season was 9.8.  He ranked105th in the league in that stat.

Berrios's Y/R last season was 9.4.  He ranked 109th in the league in that stat.

And BTW, Anderson's catch % was third lowest in the entire league.

I seriously am not making this up.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/2021/receiving.htm

• Upvote 1

55 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

Douglas should be fired out a window head first if his big plan to improve the WR corps is bringing back Robby f*cking Anderson.

Trade one of those 2nd rounders and maybe a conditional 2023 pick for Jeudy or Cooper.

Anderson had 95 receptions and over a thousand yards. Had 53 receptions with bad QB play and a horrible offensive line. Anderson improves the Jets passing game. To say otherwise to me is just wrong

17 hours ago, BeaconJet said:

That's not technically what DJ Bien-Aime's article actually said...

DJ listed 5 WR targets the Jets could go after, and listed Robbie as someone that "If Anderson is moved, the Jets are his preferred designation, a source said. He feels like he has unfinished business in New York and likes Zach Wilson’s talent."

Here's the actual article:

https://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/ny-receivers-free-agency-trades-20220218-rrbnyxylyfgfde5byiggbr57dq-story.html

So its not like Robbie is out there saying trade me to the Jets, its a "source" saying that were he to be traded, he'd prefer the Jets. I guess that's something.

If its a reasonable contract for an FA, sure why not. 

If there's a pick involved, no friggin way. 

10 minutes ago, genot said:

Anderson had 95 receptions and over a thousand yards. Had 53 receptions with bad QB play and a horrible offensive line. Anderson improves the Jets passing game. To say otherwise to me is just wrong

He had 53 catches for 519 in 2021.