Is this shaping up to be one of the deepest and most talented Edge rusher Drafts in a while?

jetstream23

Every draft has one or two elite edge rushers towards the top, a Chase Young or Nick Bosa, etc..  Some drafts have a handful of guys.  But I can't recall a recent Draft that seemed to have so many guys with legitimate pass rushing skills sprinkled up and down the Draft board.  Two of the Top 5 players taken should include Hutchinson and Thibodeaux.  Between 5 and 20 another three or four guys could easily go including Jermaine Johnson, Ojabo, Karlaftis?  As you head into the back half of Round 1 and into Day 2 you easily have another 5, 6, 7 guys who could all be worthy of being taken before the end of Round 2.  Travon Walker, Myjai Sanders, Enagbare, Cameron Thomas and on and on.

Is it just me or does this seem to be a really deep Draft for Edge rushers in those first 3 rounds?  I'm a big fan of "taking what the Draft gives you," and this year it seems to be Edge rushers.  With that being both a premium position and a key need in a Saleh defense, should the Jets think about double-dipping and taking two Edge rushers if the board falls that way?

It's situations like this where I worry that the Jets will miscalculate or miss out.  This seems to have happened at least two or three times in recent years with WRs.  There have been some really, really deep and talented WR drafts in the past decade and somehow the Jets have found themselves constantly missing out, waiting too long or ending up with the wrong guy (ex. Mims).  It would be tough to see that happen this year with Edge rushers IMO.

• Sympathy 1

Pretty much no doubt the Jets will be drafting an edge - the question is who and when - but you can be pretty sure nobody will really know who until some old Jets edge rusher like maybe Shawn Ellis stomps up there with the card unless its in the 1st round then its the commish!

44 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

AVT is a great OG and some people even think #14 was too high for him (I don't).  You want an OG at #4?

AVT looks like he'll be be a mid to top level offensive guard and I'm happy to have him on the team, but, JD way overpaid for an interior offensive lineman. Don't forget the two third rounds picks it took to move up, one at the top of the round. Those picks should have been used to build depth and the first rounder should have been used on a premium position.

Good GM's find non-premium guys in FA and day 2/3 and that includes interior offensive lineman.

Day one board should only have Edge, OT, WR and CB.

• Upvote 4
  • Thumb Down 4
  • WTF? 1

1 minute ago, section314 said:

The year to double dip edge. Two of the top 4 picks.

Premium position.  The key to the defense we run.  Draft has several of them.  Let's take two!

Wouldn't mind if the Jets used any combination of their first 4-5 picks.  #35 and #38?  #10 and #69?  Mix in a WR, OL, TE, etc. but come away with a dynamite pass rush.  No more gambling on guys like Zuniga.

Have to come away with a promising pass rush, particularly if we're going to continue to roll with a young, inexperienced secondary.

1396890784_ScreenShot2022-02-18at4_54_56PM.thumb.png.7766c54c2b663f5bc5da7316ec404ede.png

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, Peace Frog said:

That's why we wait to the top of round 2.

OFFENSE in Rd 1.  

The G/T at 4 and WR at 10.  

No Sauce, no Stingley. 

Playing devils advocate, because I like Ikem, are you comfortable drafting a potential Guard at 4? Wilson was terrible when he had time in the pocket this year per PFF. Maybe this a WR separation problem? If it is I feel like elite play making weapons in the first may be more the play here. WR/Edge? 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

18 minutes ago, GangGreen Machine said:

Playing devils advocate, because I like Ikem, are you comfortable drafting a potential Guard at 4? Wilson was terrible when he had time in the pocket this year per PFF. Maybe this a WR separation problem? If it is I feel like elite play making weapons in the first may be more the play here. WR/Edge? 

Wilson was terrible early but improved with time. 

Full stop. 

Draft a potential all pro G that will be an all pro LT or RT in 2-3 years. 

At 4 there is no elite o playmaking talent. At 10 I’m taking London or Burks or Wilson.  

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 2

2 minutes ago, Peace Frog said:

Wilson was terrible early but improved with time. 

Full stop. 

Draft a potential all pro G that will be an all pro LT or RT in 2-3 years. 

At 4 there is no elite o playmaking talent. At 10 I’m taking London or Burks or Wilson.  

Hope we can get some high octane weapons behind that juggernaut of a line. I’m on board with G/T as long as edge/WR and TE are addressed early or in FA.  

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, Peace Frog said:

Yes. Yes I do. Because for 2 years he’ll make us the best line in football and in 3 years he’ll be the LT for 8 more years. 

Do you look into players that you praise so highly? Maybe you should. Ickey isn’t some other worldly prospect like you seem to think he is. He’s a good run blocker and a mediocre pass blocker. It really isn’t a good look if you think he’s going to be some great LT, which there is absolutely no evidence of. 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, BurntDice said:

Do you look into players that you praise so highly? Maybe you should. Ickey isn’t some other worldly prospect like you seem to think he is. He’s a good run blocker and a mediocre pass blocker. It really isn’t a good look if you think he’s going to be some great LT, which there is absolutely no evidence of. 

I’m not making him my LT this year. Im making him my AVT on the right side and keep this kid upright and give him time. 

We get it, you hate Zach and hate offense. 

This isn’t the 1960s or 1980s. 

Offense matters and even though you hate Zach he’s the QB for 2 more years. Get over it. 

Just now, Peace Frog said:

I’m not making him my LT this year. Im making him my AVT on the right side and keep this kid upright and give him time. 

We get it, you hate Zach and hate offense. 

This isn’t the 1960s or 1980s. 

Offense matters and even though you hate Zach he’s the QB for 2 more years. Get over it. 

Is it this hard to stay on topic? Let’s talk about Ickey. You said he’ll be an all pro LT. What makes you think that? Does he have the athleticism to play in space against top edge rushers? Does he have the footwork, technique? Does he have the length? Why are you so confident that he’ll be a great LT?

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Big_Slick said:

AVT looks like he'll be be a mid to top level offensive guard and I'm happy to have him on the team, but, JD way overpaid for an interior offensive lineman. Don't forget the two third rounds picks it took to move up, one at the top of the round. Those picks should have been used to build depth and the first rounder should have been used on a premium position.

Good GM's find non-premium guys in FA and day 2/3 and that includes interior offensive lineman.

Day one board should only have Edge, OT, WR and CB.

2-3 round is for high upside guys who most inevitably fail for the Jets. Rounds 4-5 are for depth. I’m good with the move up and hope they do it again this year if the guy the love is around in the twenties. 

21 minutes ago, BurntDice said:

Also, who in the NFL has ever played all pro level guard then switched to LT because someone left. Sounds kind of college’y to me. 

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, GangGreen Machine said:

Also, who in the NFL has ever played all pro level guard then switched to LT because someone left. Sounds kind of college’y to me. 

Yea @Peace Frog just hypes up guys he doesn’t know anything about because it fits his narrative. Ickey will 100% not be an “all pro LT” he’ll be a great guard in the nfl because he’s relentless in a phone booth. He has the size to overpower guys and good agility for a guard. His pass blocking is ok, he definitely needs to work on it even as a guard. This skill set is completely different than what’s needed for a top tier LT. 

11 minutes ago, BurntDice said:

Yea @Peace Frog just hypes up guys he doesn’t know anything about because it fits his narrative. Ickey will 100% not be an “all pro LT” he’ll be a great guard in the nfl because he’s relentless in a phone booth. He has the size to overpower guys and good agility for a guard. His pass blocking is ok, he definitely needs to work on it even as a guard. This skill set is completely different than what’s needed for a top tier LT. 

You sound angry. You’re going to be angrier when we draft him. And he solidifies our line. 

3 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

Every draft has one or two elite edge rushers towards the top, a Chase Young or Nick Bosa, etc..  Some drafts have a handful of guys.  But I can't recall a recent Draft that seemed to have so many guys with legitimate pass rushing skills sprinkled up and down the Draft board.  Two of the Top 5 players taken should include Hutchinson and Thibodeaux.  Between 5 and 20 another three or four guys could easily go including Jermaine Johnson, Ojabo, Karlaftis?  As you head into the back half of Round 1 and into Day 2 you easily have another 5, 6, 7 guys who could all be worthy of being taken before the end of Round 2.  Travon Walker, Myjai Sanders, Enagbare, Cameron Thomas and on and on.

Is it just me or does this seem to be a really deep Draft for Edge rushers in those first 3 rounds?  I'm a big fan of "taking what the Draft gives you," and this year it seems to be Edge rushers.  With that being both a premium position and a key need in a Saleh defense, should the Jets think about double-dipping and taking two Edge rushers if the board falls that way?

It's situations like this where I worry that the Jets will miscalculate or miss out.  This seems to have happened at least two or three times in recent years with WRs.  There have been some really, really deep and talented WR drafts in the past decade and somehow the Jets have found themselves constantly missing out, waiting too long or ending up with the wrong guy (ex. Mims).  I would be tough to see that happen this year with Edge rushers IMO.

Problem is there is no Young and Bosa, it may be deep but there is no stud.

• Upvote 3

Just now, Peace Frog said:

Could be. Maybe not. Relax Francis. 

This is about NOT drafting a DB before round 4. 

Like I said. Relax. 

All I’m trying to do is discuss a prospect, which apparently you have no intention of doing.  Keep hyping guys up without any evidence to support it.