Is this shaping up to be one of the deepest and most talented Edge rusher Drafts in a while?

jetstream23

14 minutes ago, Peace Frog said:

Tackles that got kicked inside then ended up outside. 

Yea but who? Like I said I’m in for Ikey if we draft some other studs early but I think it’s wishful thinking to push an all pro caliber guard out to tackle after three years.

Wasn’t that AVT’s draw too? I remember him getting worked by Kayvon. I just don’t think he is going to play tackle any time soon unless JD and Co. know something we don’t with Becton. 

Just now, BurntDice said:

All I’m trying to do is discuss a prospect, which apparently you have no intention of doing.  Keep hyping guys up without any evidence to support it. 

Evidence? Evidence? Who are you Columbo?

You have no idea about any of these guys more than anyone else here. 

Evidence. GTFO.  

Just now, GangGreen Machine said:

Yea but who? Like I said I’m in for Ikey if we draft some other studs early but I think it’s wishful thinking to push an all pro caliber guard out to tackle after three years.

Wasn’t that AVT’s draw too? I remember him getting worked by Kayvon. I just don’t think he is going to play tackle any time soon unless JD and Co. know something we don’t with Becton. 

Anytime soon. Exactly. 

6 minutes ago, Peace Frog said:

Evidence? Evidence? Who are you Columbo?

You have no idea about any of these guys more than anyone else here. 

Evidence. GTFO.  

It’s not that hard to tell who has the potential play LT at a high level and who can’t. Watch some of his games and maybe you’ll see if he has the intangibles needed to play LT (hint he doesn’t) it’s actually pretty fun to watch the guys and make your own judgments about them. It’s a lot more interesting than looking purely at mock drafts etc 

• Upvote 1

it would be a crime if JD misses out on one of the top Edges in this draft. especially for an OL.

for all you draft OL at 4 guys ask yourself this?

why? to protect Zach against the others team pass rusher? ok.... well...

we have NO PASS RUSH!!!! an OL of girl scouts could have stopped us last year. Edge rush should be our #1 priority. and god has smiled on us by making this a deep Edge draft. we need to get the best one on JDs board at 4. and not kick the can down the road till rd 2 where the 8-9 best is.

remember 2020 ? we pick OL and said, dont worry this is a deep WR draft. we could get someone good in rd 2. 

Denzel Mims anyone?

im starting to get ground hog day vibes.

8 minutes ago, BurntDice said:

It’s not that hard to tell who has the potential play LT at a high level and who can’t. Watch some of his games and maybe you’ll see if he has the intangibles needed to play LT (hint he doesn’t) it’s actually pretty fun to watch the guys and make your own judgments about them. It’s a lot more interesting than looking purely at mock drafts etc 

Big NC State fan I take it. You’ve seen the All-22s done all the interviews all the scouting. 

You’re guessing just like everyone else here. 

He could play any position along the line and excel. In 3 years he could be out of the league or be the best RT G or LT in the league. 

Take the L. You’re just guessing. Like the rest of us. 

2 minutes ago, Peace Frog said:

Big NC State fan I take it. You’ve seen the All-22s done all the interviews all the scouting. 

You’re guessing just like everyone else here. 

He could play any position along the line and excel. In 3 years he could be out of the league or be the best RT G or LT in the league. 

Take the L. You’re just guessing. Like the rest of us. 

I actually live near Raleigh and watched most of their games. Having an educated opinion is not a bad thing like you are acting like it is. 

46 minutes ago, Peace Frog said:

Anytime soon. Exactly. 

Not sure what to make if this. I’d rather strike out on an Edge at 4 than a Guard who miraculously changes to LT after a few years years. It’s a crap shoot like you said but the only guard I know drafted that high recently is leaving Washington with no playoff wins and very little to show for it. 

11 minutes ago, GangGreen Machine said:

Not sure what to make if this. I’d rather strike out on an Edge at 4 than a Guard who miraculously changes to LT after a few years years. It’s a crap shoot like you said but the only guard I know drafted that high recently is leaving Washington with no playoff wins and very little to show for it. 

If one of the top 2 edges are there I’ve been an advocate of taking them. If not, I want the top G who could solidify this line for years and who COULD easily kick out to one of the tackles. If people don’t think he can play tackle they are crazy. 

Do not want a DB at 4 or 10. 

Opinion.

Not trying to suggest (like some others) that I’m guaranteeing anything. Folks here seem to know to a certitude who these guys are going to become. 

We’re all just guessing. 

14 minutes ago, Peace Frog said:

If one of the top 2 edges are there I’ve been an advocate of taking them. If not, I want the top G who could solidify this line for years and who COULD easily kick out to one of the tackles. If people don’t think he can play tackle they are crazy. 

Opinion.

Not trying to suggest (like some others) that I’m guaranteeing anything. Folks here seem to know to a certitude who these guys are going to become. 

We’re all just guessing. 

Fair enough. I’m in if he’s playing tackle but I’d like an edge at 4 if not. There are good guards in FA including the an all pro 5th overall pick in 2015. 

IMHO, since there are no real above and beyond blue chippers at any position in this draft, I'd rather move out of #4 if possible for a pick in the teens and a high pick next year. We can still hit Edge, WR, TE and OL with the first four picks, and add to draft capital in a future year where moving up or down or having extra picks would be desirable.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Bungaman said:

IMHO, since there are no real above and beyond blue chippers at any position in this draft, I'd rather move out of #4 if possible for a pick in the teens and a high pick next year. We can still hit Edge, WR, TE and OL with the first four picks, and add to draft capital in a future year where moving up or down or having extra picks would be desirable.

I feel like if the consensus is that this is a weak draft, every team will want to trade down which means we are stuck. If there was a QB worthy of 4 that would be a different story. No one is moving up to 4 for Sauce, Hamilton, stingley, Ikem, etc… 

1 hour ago, Peace Frog said:

Opinion.

We’re all just guessing. 

You want a G at #4 over a pass rusher?

Disbelief Reaction GIF

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Big_Slick said:

AVT looks like he'll be be a mid to top level offensive guard and I'm happy to have him on the team, but, JD way overpaid for an interior offensive lineman. Don't forget the two third rounds picks it took to move up, one at the top of the round. Those picks should have been used to build depth and the first rounder should have been used on a premium position.

Good GM's find non-premium guys in FA and day 2/3 and that includes interior offensive lineman.

Day one board should only have Edge, OT, WR and CB.

Douglas was literally trying to establish a competent offensive line for his 2nd overall rookie QB. AVT was the only IOL in the last draft that was widely regarded as a 1st day quality starter with a pro bowl ceiling. 

Any analysis that doesn't factor that in, doesn't really have muche value tbh.

5 hours ago, Big_Slick said:

AVT looks like he'll be be a mid to top level offensive guard and I'm happy to have him on the team, but, JD way overpaid for an interior offensive lineman. Don't forget the two third rounds picks it took to move up, one at the top of the round. Those picks should have been used to build depth and the first rounder should have been used on a premium position.

Good GM's find non-premium guys in FA and day 2/3 and that includes interior offensive lineman.

Day one board should only have Edge, OT, WR and CB.

We got a 4th back also. So lost a 3rd and dropped back some spots and got Michael Carter who we wanted with one of the 3s anyway. AVT looks like a stud. Absolutely a great trade and worth it. 

• Sympathy 1

IMO the Jets will focus in the trenches in the 1st round if at all possible.  Edge-OL or OL-Edge with picks #4 and #10.  They could trade down and still secure  OL and Edge in round one.  The WR position doesn't have a big drop off from round 1 to round 2.  Jets could even move up somewhere into the twenties and snatch a wideout, OL or Edge player that's high on JD's board.

Because the Jets have two picks in each of the 2nd, 4th and 5th rounds of the draft.  JD could probably move up a couple of times if he was bent on securing quality over quantity of players. 

We wont have a clearer idea what JD may do until we see what players Jets sign and/or trade for in FA.  

• Sympathy 1

11 hours ago, shuler82 said:

You want a G at #4 over a pass rusher?

Disbelief Reaction GIF

Did you not read the first line? 

I said.

If one of the 2 edge rushers are there I take one. 

If they are both gone I take the G/T and  build a wall around Zach. 

Good meme but you missed the point.

I forgive you. Sometimes the itchy meme trigger finger muddles the thought process. 

12 hours ago, GangGreen Machine said:

Fair enough. I’m in if he’s playing tackle but I’d like an edge at 4 if not. There are good guards in FA including the an all pro 5th overall pick in 2015. 

Of course. What I am positing is if both the edge guys are gone. We’re in no man’s land at 4 and if we can’t trade back I take the stud OLineman and not look back. 4 or 14, does it matter if we get another AVT on the other side? Think of the run game, play action and the passing game with that line. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

The Jets absolutely should take a good OT prospect with one of their first four picks (rounds 1-2).  It doesn't have to be the #4 pick, but if they love a guy there better than any Edge or WR, then they should take one there.  My first choice would be a trade back with that pick, but that might not be feasible.

The most important thing at #4 is get as good a player as possible.  JD needs to hit his picks and get at least 3 day one starters from those 4 picks. 

Fant was good this year, but did miss time with a knee injury late and will be a FA after this next year.  Becton is a huge ? and should not be counted on for anything.  Even if he comes back strong, a good young OT is needed for depth/development, and Becton needs to prove himself over a full season.  Edoga and McDermott stink and need to be replaced.

3 hours ago, Peace Frog said:

Did you not read the first line? 

I said.

If one of the 2 edge rushers are there I take one. 

If they are both gone I take the G/T and  build a wall around Zach. 

Good meme but you missed the point.

I forgive you. Sometimes the itchy meme trigger finger muddles the thought process. 

Nah.

I take the 3rd rated edge over a G every day.  

You don’t need to build a wall around Zach. You just need a competent OL. Draft a G in the 3rd after we get some playmakers on both sides of the ball. 

we had a good running game and our backup QBs had plenty of time last year. What we need is for Zach to get through his progressions and hit the open man.

39 minutes ago, shuler82 said:

Nah.

You don’t need to build a wall around Zach. You just need a competent OL. Draft a G in the 3rd after we get some playmakers on both sides of the ball. 

we had a good running game and our backup QBs had plenty of time last year. What we need is for Zach to get through his progressions and hit the open man.

We actually need open men who can actually catch. WR, TE. Time to stack those positions. Not with #4 though. All if this is moot until we see how FA shapes up. It's impossible to project draft picks until that is settled.

48 minutes ago, shuler82 said:

Nah.

7 minutes ago, Long Island Leprechaun said:

We actually need open men who can actually catch. WR, TE. Time to stack those positions. Not with #4 though. All if this is moot until we see how FA shapes up. It's impossible to project draft picks until that is settled.

Exactly. AND give Zach another 1/2 second to find the receivers. 

We can get a very good edge player at the top of round 2-it’s a very deep draft at the position. Would hate to take the 3rd or 4th rated edge player when the 6th or 7th are nearly as good (and may be better). 

18 hours ago, GangGreen Machine said:

Hope we can get some high octane weapons behind that juggernaut of a line. I’m on board with G/T as long as edge/WR and TE are addressed early or in FA.  

Right there with you. WR at 10 then Edge and TE at the top of round 2. 

And addressed in FA. 

23 hours ago, GangGreen Machine said:

2-3 round is for high upside guys who most inevitably fail for the Jets. Rounds 4-5 are for depth. I’m good with the move up and hope they do it again this year if the guy the love is around in the twenties. 

I don't mind moving up as long as it's for a premium position. 

19 hours ago, Jet Life said:

We got a 4th back also. So lost a 3rd and dropped back some spots and got Michael Carter who we wanted with one of the 3s anyway. AVT looks like a stud. Absolutely a great trade and worth it. 

Good GM's don't take interior offensive lineman with first round picks, not to mention the 2 3rd's (one at the top of the round). I like the player but hate the cost of the trade and the lost opportunity to draft a play maker.

• Thumb Down 1

23 minutes ago, Big_Slick said:

Good GM's don't take interior offensive lineman with first round picks, not to mention the 2 3rd's (one at the top of the round). I like the player but hate the cost of the trade and the lost opportunity to draft a play maker.

Cost does not matter to complete a unit. 

Build an impregnable line. 

Or draft a S that we’re not going to pay in 3 years.