What does your dream offseason look like?

Maxman

3 hours ago, BCJet said:

Dream Offseason - great thread.  Im going to try to have it be somewhat more realistic then dream (ie Id love bates but I dont think he gets out of Cincy so going with Williams)

The number 1 biggest thing is Becton getting his act together and coming into camp at 345 lbs and dominating at Right Tackle.  Fant deserves to stay at LT

Free Agency: Im not going to go crazy as this just isnt a great class and I think JD really wants to build a culture here and instead will spend on guys he knows as opposed to overpaying a bunch of free agents.  

1. Marcus Williams - FS

2. Nicholas Morrow - OLB

3. Joe Haeg - OT

Resign:

1. Berrios 3 years $16 million

2. Foley 3 years $20 million

3. Feeney 1 year $1.5 million

4. LDT 1 year $4 million

5. Fant - extended 3 more years

6. Tyler Kroft - 1 year $2 million

Draft - This is a draft where trading back will net us additional starters through the 3rd round. We know the players very well after the senior bowl and while not top heavy with elite QBs or OTs the draft is very deep. 

These picks were using the profootballnetwork simulator where I traded 4 to Atlanta for 8 and 43, and then 8 to the ravens for 14 and 45 (the simulator continued to offer trade back options which if JD gets them he should take, but to try to remain somewhat realistic I stopped trading back although this is where "dream" came in)

10.  Devin Lloyd OLB

14.  Drake London WR USC

35. Zion Johnson OG Boston College

38. Myjai Sanders Edge Cincy

43. Kyler Gordon CB Washington 

49 Jalen Pitre S Baylor

69. Jeremy Ruckert TE

110. Brian Robinson RB Alabama

116. Cole Strange OG

You could argue that the above draft nets 6 opening day starters in the first 7 picks and Sanders being a rotational edge rusher in his first season.  Lloyd would be a great match of need and pick.  London is only 21 and would be a perfect complement to Moore.  Zion starts day 1 at RG and ensures a dominant OL if Becton is healthy.  Kyler holds down the CB spot opposite Hall, Pitre starts in the hybrid safety spot allowing Marcus Williams to be a centerfielder only and Ruckert is possibly my favorite player in the draft and starts day 1 giving us great run blocking from the TE spot.  Lastly we can develop strange, possibly to play center (or move Zion there in 2023 if he can make the switch and Cole plays RG) and Brian Robinson becomes a steady #2 RB to who is big and tough to tackle.

Nice job

ok i will play along

FA.

OL: we need to resign LDT and if not get a starting RG. i would also see if we could get a swing OL who can play both OG and OT as a backup.

extend Fant. put him at LT and make Becton compete for RT.

TE: not sure who will be around and if they will be worth it. might have to bring back Kroft for one spot.

interested to see how they feel about Yeboah. he didnt play TE much but there supposed to be developing him. do they think he can crack the starting lineup? 

WR: with Davis and Moore the only 2 guys here we need to sign one or 2 guys. i would bring back Berrios as WR4. i like Cole and i think he played better when we had " Hero Zach " earlier in the season. i can't forget that one handed grab he made in the end zone that was not a TD because he couldn't get both feet down. but something tells me Mims will be back. he is still under a rookie contract, and you wont get a bag of peanuts if you try to trade him. i can see him in camp and being WR5. 

RB: i expect someone that doesn't get us excited. that's what they did in SF. a RB room with nobody's

DL: don't think we sign anyone special here either. 

LB: interesting room. they have 2 Safeties that they tried to convert to LB. they should be ready to play a lot. any signings here will tell us the experiment didn't work out to well. which makes me wonder if that's true why not bring them back to safety. we could sure use the help there.  i do like QW2 and we should bring him back.

CB. Echols is the weak link here. i would like to see if we could get a vet to start and move Echols to backup. plus, a vet could help the room as there all kids in there.

S: i like Riley and would bring him back. but we need to sign someone here. i like Davis aggressiveness but he might not be a starter in this league. or we could just bring back those 2 LBs to their natural position.

K: I'm not sold on Pineiro. he doesn't seem to have a big leg. bring in someone and bring back Amendola and see if hes learned anything.

P: i think i stick with Mann one more year. as i said above that Pineiro doesn't have a big leg. well, he didn't kick off not one time with us. Mann did and was 20 out of 22 in touchbacks. that's incredible. it is so incredible that Mann was #1 in the league in TB % at 90.9%. how great is that. that almost guarantees the other team starts out at their own 20 and has to go 80 yds on EVERY possession. i give him another year to see if he can get his punt avg in shape. he especially becomes valuable if we keep Pineiro another year.

THE DRAFT

#4:  EDGE: it has to be this. for the same reason the OL guys want one drafted here. to protect Zach, we have nobody to get to the QB. QW and JFM lead the team with 6 sacks each. that's pitiful. whoever is the best that's left at 4 should be the pick. 

and we should avoid OL for the 3rd straight year. or did we forgot how much we hated picking 4 DL in 5 Years. its the same thing. then next year you will fall in love with the next Mangod. no thats not a typo. thats how some of you treat him. like we could never win without another Mangod at Center

#10: WR: this should be the 1st WR taken in the draft so JD can get whatever one his heart's desire. that guy whoever he is teamed with Davis and Moore with Berrios at WR4 should be a nice WR room.

#35: TE: again, this should be the 1st TE drafted. that's 2 positions that's there will be no excuse that JD didn't get who he wanted.

#38: OPEN: this could be anything. another Edge cause i know they like a rotation on the DL. another TE. maybe Safety...LB.  just no OL. not yet.

3RD round and beyond. 

now you can draft a backup Tackle and or Center. and whoever else we may need.

thats my dream as to how this should go.

-Trade Becton for a mid/late first.  I'm sure this will mean he's a hall of fame player, but I'm over him. 

-Trade for Ridley (2022 third and conditional 2023)

-Sign Corbett or Cappa for RG

-Sign Njoku or Gesicki for TE 

-Sign Willams or another good FS

-Extend Fant 

-Re-sign Barrios 

-Draft:

1a. Hutch or Thibs

1b. Icky for RT 

1c. Lloyd or Dean

2a. McBride

2b. another edge Thomas/Walker/Enagbare

3. Traded for Ridley 

4a. James Cook 

rest of draft DEFENSE 

LT- Fant

LG- AVT

C- McGovern

RG- Corbett

RT- Icky

WR- Ridley, Davis, Moore, Barrios, Mims 

TE- Njoku, McBride 

RB- Cook, Carter 

15 hours ago, Spoot-Face said:

Ross is forced to sell the Dolphins.

Jerry Jones, Robert Kraft, and Dan Snyder are all caught up in the same sex ring operation and are thrown into prison. They share a cell with Deshaun Watson.

Woody sells the Jets and moves to the UK, never to be heard from again. 

Roger Goodell resigns as commissioner, and, as a final act, reveals secret files on Bill Belichick  and the Patriots' cheating, and retconns all their victories.

Tom Brady cries.

Christopher Johnson buys the Patriots for three crypto bucks.

All the refs are fired. Except for the chick; no way they let her into the secret boys' club.

Oh, and the Jets sign and draft a few players who don't suck.

How is Ross selling the Dolphins a good thing for the Jets ? Hes a crappy owner...  

Real question...

Dolphins surrender first round picks this year and/or next for tanking scandal. 

Becton reports to camp in the best shape of his life.

Jets re-sign Berrios and Fatukasi.

Jets sign Schultz and Marcus Williams or Jessie Bates.

Jets draft (1-a) Douglas’s highest rated  defensive player (Hamilton, Thibs, Stingley, etc) ; (1-b) Douglas’s highest rated WR or trade down; (2-a) Zion; (2-b) McBride.  

17 hours ago, Spoot-Face said:

Ross is forced to sell the Dolphins.

Jerry Jones, Robert Kraft, and Dan Snyder are all caught up in the same sex ring operation and are thrown into prison. They share a cell with Deshaun Watson.

Woody sells the Jets and moves to the UK, never to be heard from again. 

Roger Goodell resigns as commissioner, and, as a final act, reveals secret files on Bill Belichick  and the Patriots' cheating, and retconns all their victories.

Tom Brady cries.

Christopher Johnson buys the Patriots for three crypto bucks.

All the refs are fired. Except for the chick; no way they let her into the secret boys' club.

Oh, and the Jets sign and draft a few players who don't suck.

ef623b6323e5e8011c55d9543c1669ef.jpg.5aa043953ed7ee8113c806be4b3f096c.jpg

My dream offseason:

Joe Douglas leaves the NFL after getting cast as Vader in the upcoming Hulk Hogan movie

Saleh realizes his wife needs some help at home with the 6 kids they have and becomes a Youtuber

Wilson decides he wants nothing to do with the Jets and gets cast as Johnny's bastard son in Cobra Kai. 

All kidding aside, I'm not wasting my time with mock offseasons like I have for the past, say, 10 years. I will speak in generalities:

Offense:

I want to win games next year more than I'm interested in how Wilson "develops". The line looked good at the end of the year, I'd invest a premium resource into the OL and pray Becton builds off what we saw his rookie season. Carter is promising, but he's small and already missing games. He's not a bellcow. Get another talented RB in there and try to win games with the running game. Wilson looked better when teams were keying on the running game. 

As far as WR or TE, I can see Njoiku as he fits Douglas's mold (underachieving former 1st rounder) and what the staff likes (YAC ability). I'd also explore the trade market for a WR. Douglas has not show the ability as a GM to rely solely upon his draft picks so its time to start acquiring known talent. 

Defense:

You have to spend one of those 1st rounders on an edge and I'd double dip in the second round to have a guy to groom behind Lawson (or to replace Lawson if he gets hurt again). 

I wouldn't mind spending some $ at linebacker. Our LBs were arguably the worst in the league last year and it is a comparatively cheap position to upgrade in free agency. 

More than anything, its time to start getting blue chip talent on this team. Only 1 player on the Jets graded at 80 or above according to PFF. I'd be willing to bet that every other team in the league has at least 2 guys with an 80 on the roster. The Jets need players that are good RIGHT NOW, not ones that might be good in a few years or look promising if you start playing around with their statistics. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

2 hours ago, maury77 said:

I want to win games next year more than I'm interested in how Wilson "develops". The line looked good at the end of the year, I'd invest a premium resource into the OL and pray Becton builds off what we saw his rookie season. Carter is promising, but he's small and already missing games. He's not a bellcow. Get another talented RB in there and try to win games with the running game. Wilson looked better when teams were keying on the running game. 

Agreed.  As much as I would love to find our Jamarr Chase/Justin Jefferson type receiver, that guy likely does not exist in this draft.  You can win games with a mediocre QB behind a great OL and strong running game.  This is a strong OL draft.  And a solid edge draft.  Draft to the strength of the draft.  OL and Edge.  We can still add weapons via trade, FA and days 2 & 3 in the draft.

And maybe we can win some games, and help our QB develop by giving him a strong OL and running game. 

• Upvote 4

On 2/18/2022 at 9:43 PM, Maxman said:

Big splash in free agency?  Who?  Or depth in free agency?  Who?

Current free agents on the roster that should be back next year?  

How many starters can they walk away with in the draft?  Who?

Acquire a veteran No. 1 WR (Adams/Ridley/Godwin/Robinson/Cooper, in order of preference) 

Sign a premium FA TE (Schultz/Gesicki/Njoku) 

Depth signings elsewhere

Ekwonu at 4, Devin Lloyd or best available edge at 10 (or, preferably, after a trade back), dealer's choice TE (Likely/McBride/Ruckert/Wydermyer) and LB/Edge (whichever position we didn't hit RD 1) in the second, double dip LB in the 3rd (Asomoah/Chenal/etc.). 

After that, it's gravy but a S, double dip at TE, and a thunder type RB to complement Carter would round out the draft nicely

Getting a GOOD WR in FA and in the draft.

Getting a GOOD TE in either FA or the draft.

Getting Lawson back from injury in a condition where he can still play up to his potential, and drafting a GOOD edge.

Drafting a GOOD corner.

The Rats get nothing right in their offseason at all .