Steelers hire former Dolphins HC Brian Flores

jackhuntr

The Pittsburgh Steelers found a supremely qualified individual to fill their previously vacant roles at senior defensive assistant and linebacker coach. Brian Flores, who recently concluded a three-year run as the Miami Dolphins' head coach, will fill both positions with the Steelers, the club announced Saturday. 

Flores, who earlier this month sued the NFL for racial discrimination, went 19-14 during his final two seasons as the Dolphins' coach. Prior to coaching the Dolphins, the 40-year-old coach spent 15 seasons with the Patriots that included stints as special teams, linebackers and safeties coach. New England won four Super Bowls during Flores' run with the organization. 

"I am excited about Brian Flores joining our coaching staff given his history of developing and teaching defensive players during his time in the NFL," Steelers coach Mike Tomlin said in a statement. "Brian's resume speaks for itself, and I look forward to him adding his expertise to help our team."

Flores will succeed Teryl Austin as Pittsburgh's senior defensive assistant after Austin was promoted to defensive coordinator. As linebackers coach, Flores will work closely with Jerry Olsavsky, who has served as the Steelers' inside linebackers coach since the 2015 season. 

In Pittsburgh, Flores will get a chance to work with reigning Defensive Player of the Year T.J. Watt and All-Pro defensive tackle Cameron Heyward. Flores will also be reunited with two-time All-Pro safety Minkah Fitzpatrick, who was traded from Miami to Pittsburgh during Flores' first season as the Dolphins' head coach. 

Flores was hired by the Dolphins in 2019 after helping the Patriots hold the Rams to just three points in Super Bowl LIII. Two years earlier, while serving as New England's linebackers coach, the Patriots defeated the Falcons in Super Bowl LI after linebacker Dont'a Hightower's strip-sack of Matt Ryan ignited the largest come-from-behind win in Super Bowl history. In 2008, his first season as special teams coach, Flores worked with then-rookie Matthew Slater, who this past season was selected to his 10th Pro Bowl as a special teams player. 

In Miami, Flores inherited a team that was clearly in rebuilding mode after winning 13 games the previous two seasons. The team traded former starters Fitzpatrick, Laremy Tunsil, Kenny Stills, Kiko Alonso, as well as part-time starter Kenyan Drake, during the season's first two months. Miami started the 2019 season with an 0-7 record before rallying to finish with a 5-11 record. That was the season when Flores alleged that Dolphins owner Stephen Ross offered him $100,000 per loss in order to increase Miami's odds at securing the No. 1 overall pick in the 2020 NFL Draft. The Dolphins ended up with the No. 5 overall pick, which they used to select former Alabama quarterback Tua Tagovailoa.

• Sympathy 2
  • Haha 1

44 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

Once again the Rooney’s bail out the NFL glad he’s not getting blacklisted even though doubtful he’ll get another HC job. 

Miami talking trash about him before he said anything might be his saving grace.  

Nobody wants to get burned with texts getting shown, etc…. He will will need to take care of business with the Steelers and look like the best chance to win to the next team and then he has a chance, but only because he took this job.  It was really smart and could save his career   

7 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

If he was more than back-up level he would be playing on an NFL team.   He's not and therefore just not worth the headache.  Starters are worth the headache.

I agree that he's not some elite QB that teams are missing out on, but people don't hate him because he's a pedestrian QB. I'd love to see a comeback just for the fireworks and tears, alone. And, if he proved me wrong? Icing on the cake.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

22 minutes ago, undertow said:

Meh he's the Jesse Smollet of the NFL I don't like billionaire owners either but that doesn't mean I like scam artists that use race hustles for profit.   OK I'm done here before I get banned. lmao

Nah, I don't see it that way. But you have the right to your opinion. I'll leave it at that.

• Upvote 4

2 hours ago, jackhuntr said:

The Pittsburgh Steelers found a supremely qualified individual to fill their previously vacant roles at senior defensive assistant and linebacker coach. Brian Flores, who recently concluded a three-year run as the Miami Dolphins' head coach, will fill both positions with the Steelers, the club announced Saturday. 

Flores, who earlier this month sued the NFL for racial discrimination, went 19-14 during his final two seasons as the Dolphins' coach. Prior to coaching the Dolphins, the 40-year-old coach spent 15 seasons with the Patriots that included stints as special teams, linebackers and safeties coach. New England won four Super Bowls during Flores' run with the organization. 

"I am excited about Brian Flores joining our coaching staff given his history of developing and teaching defensive players during his time in the NFL," Steelers coach Mike Tomlin said in a statement. "Brian's resume speaks for itself, and I look forward to him adding his expertise to help our team."

Flores will succeed Teryl Austin as Pittsburgh's senior defensive assistant after Austin was promoted to defensive coordinator. As linebackers coach, Flores will work closely with Jerry Olsavsky, who has served as the Steelers' inside linebackers coach since the 2015 season. 

In Pittsburgh, Flores will get a chance to work with reigning Defensive Player of the Year T.J. Watt and All-Pro defensive tackle Cameron Heyward. Flores will also be reunited with two-time All-Pro safety Minkah Fitzpatrick, who was traded from Miami to Pittsburgh during Flores' first season as the Dolphins' head coach. 

Flores was hired by the Dolphins in 2019 after helping the Patriots hold the Rams to just three points in Super Bowl LIII. Two years earlier, while serving as New England's linebackers coach, the Patriots defeated the Falcons in Super Bowl LI after linebacker Dont'a Hightower's strip-sack of Matt Ryan ignited the largest come-from-behind win in Super Bowl history. In 2008, his first season as special teams coach, Flores worked with then-rookie Matthew Slater, who this past season was selected to his 10th Pro Bowl as a special teams player. 

In Miami, Flores inherited a team that was clearly in rebuilding mode after winning 13 games the previous two seasons. The team traded former starters Fitzpatrick, Laremy Tunsil, Kenny Stills, Kiko Alonso, as well as part-time starter Kenyan Drake, during the season's first two months. Miami started the 2019 season with an 0-7 record before rallying to finish with a 5-11 record. That was the season when Flores alleged that Dolphins owner Stephen Ross offered him $100,000 per loss in order to increase Miami's odds at securing the No. 1 overall pick in the 2020 NFL Draft. The Dolphins ended up with the No. 5 overall pick, which they used to select former Alabama quarterback Tua Tagovailoa.

X, X Everywhere  - Consolation Prizes consolation prizes everywhere

• Upvote 1

this wasn't Rooney. this was all Tomlin. the most powerful black HC in history. he gets who he wants.

someone with the resume of Tomlin you dont force him to take a coach he doesnt want.

how bad do you feel for Teryl Austin. who has got Flores behind him. who you all know everyone wants him to move up to be DC. and Flores who went from boss of a whole team isnt even boss of the defense.

interesting to see how this plays out if Flores doesn't get a HC next year. Austin is black too so i dont see Tomlin screwing him for Flores. 

3 hours ago, Fantasy Island said:

God, I would love to get him here.  Trade Zach and 1st rounder next year for him.

So, and this is just so we’re clear, you’re okay with a serial rapist being your QB because he throws a football well?

Got it.

I don’t want to hear a single peep out of anyone defending Watson on this forum when it comes to things like the Washington Commanders cheerleader situation, domestic abuse, etc.  You’ve made it abundantly clear by defending him that sexual assault, misconduct, rape is a-ok with you, as long as the person being accused can help your football team be better.

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 1