kevinc855

How long does Wilson get  

89 members have voted

1. 1. In your opinion how much time does Zach deserve in 22

• Week 5 (Pull him)
    • Week 9 (Pull, Hal way through season)
    • Week 12 (Pull him)
    • All of 2022 regardless of play

Zach Wilson. Basically, we live or die with him it seems. 

Question, if Zach doesn't play well next year, how much time do you give him? Or do you give him all of 2022? 

For the record, I'm not a Zach hater, in fact I love nothing more than to see him shine. But reality is, he was pretty bad in 2021. With all the new upgrades in 2022, do we ride it out with him or move on earlier than we did with Sam? 

Your thoughts? Also, what do you consider improvement for him in 2022.

Jets will absolutely have a losing season in 2022-23. So, what is the measure/threshold where Zach is proving himself? It can't be wins.

If he's playing decent on a losing team, and if he is progressing reasonably, keep him going. In other words, if he's playing around the level he was after his injury (with the exception of the Bills game), keep going.

If he's obviously sucking it as observed by any reasonable coach, then pull him around half way through the season, or earlier. Get a veteran in there for him to learn from. 

• Thumb Down 1

2 minutes ago, 65 Toss Power Trap said:

Jets will absolutely have a losing season in 2022-23. So, what is the measure/threshold where Zach is proving himself? It can't be wins.

If he's playing decent on a losing team, and if he is progressing reasonably, keep him going. In other words, if he's playing around the level he was after his injury (with the exception of the Bills game), keep going.

If he's obviously sucking it as observed by any reasonable coach, then pull him around half way through the season, or earlier. Get a veteran in there for him to learn from. Or if he has regresses so badly (which I don't think will happen), be done with him.

I had given up on Zach after the New Orleans game, then he showed improvement on a weekly basis. (I’m giving him a pass on the Buffalo game because of injuries and Buffalo’s defense camped out in our backfield whether we ran or passed the ball.)

I’m hoping the Tampa game is Zach’s floor for next season and he continues to build on that. Even if it becomes apparent during the season that he is a bust, the Jets ride with him to put themselves in a better position to draft or trade for a franchise QB.

I also think the direction he is going will be confirmed by the third game. 

• Upvote 1

It's not a black and white answer.

It's the same answer it's always been.  Is he showing progress? Is he showing enough growth to believe he can get to an elite level?

Reality is every player starts from different place in their training, some are more prepared than others, some learn faster than other, they all join teams in different phases of talent.  

What you're looking for is, is he getting better? is he learning? is he repeating the same mistakes? There are just far too many variables for a young NFL QB to put hard parameters on anything.

Zach did get better throughout the year and as long as he continues to do so he shouldn't go anywhere.  He fixed the things he was doing wrong and showed real and noticeable progress down the stretch last year.  If he continues to do that he should stay until he stops doing that.

Sam got better in year two too, but early in year 3 you saw he hit a wall, and even started to regress.  That's when it was time to cut bait with Sam.  JD handled the Sam situation properly, I have every reason to believe he'll do the same with Zach.

• Upvote 3

I think it kind of depends on what we're talking about.

Logic would indicate that even if we don't see the sort of leap we really need to see from Wilson he'll almost certainly improve. Thus, it seems unlikely he'll be so bad that he actually gets yanked. If he's just "bad" he'll play the whole season almost guaranteed.

If he's the sort of awful that he was at times last year I think you have pull him ASAP. I think the coaching staff/regime risk losing the team if they continue to trot out a non-competitive QB every week.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

I def. LOL'ed when I read that.

Love Kev but he’s been sh*tting on Zach since he was drafted. 

The AZM that say “I love Zach but…his footwork sucks his accuracy sucks his processing speed sucks but I love the guy but he’s too small and unathletic  but I’m rooting for him but no QB as sh*tty as him has ever succeeded and he’s left a ton of plays on the field but boy I hope he is the guy but wow he can’t elevate guys around him QBs make the weaponz but I’m really pulling for the guy even thought he’s the worst QB in the history of the NFL. But still a fan.” 

It’s those cowards that suck. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Haha 3

1 minute ago, Peace Frog said:

The AZM that say “I love Zach but…his footwork sucks his accuracy sucks his processing speed sucks but I love the guy but he’s too small and unathletic  but I’m rooting for him but no QB as sh*tty as him has ever succeeded and he’s left a ton of plays on the field but boy I hope he is the guy but wow he can’t elevate guys around him QBs make the weaponz but I’m really pulling for the guy even thought he’s the worst QB in the history of the NFL. But still a fan.” 

Actually you have your facts wrong here. I been rooting for him all year. I think it’s pretty clear I root for wins and by that it means rooting for the players on the field. However, I’m not a Zach homer nor did I really root for us to draft anyone else unlike 90 percent this board who wanted Lawrence.

Am I suprised by how poorly he played? Yea I am. This wasn’t a mid round qb we picked up it was the Number 2 pick. Did I say he shouldn’t start week 1 next year? No I didn’t. However I’m not going to sit around all next year if he continues to suck or we are doing the same exact thing we did with Sam and I get to hear about blowing it up in 2024 again. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, kevinc855 said:

Actually you have your facts wrong here. I been rooting for him all year. I think it’s pretty clear I root for wins and by that it means rooting for the players on the field. However, I’m not a Zach homer nor did I really root for us to draft anyone else unlike 90 percent this board who wanted Lawrence.

Am I suprised by how poorly he played? Yea I am. This wasn’t a mid round qb we picked up it was the Number 2 pick. Did I say he shouldn’t start week 1 next year? No I didn’t. However I’m not going to sit around all next year if he continues to suck or we are doing the same exact thing we did with Sam and I get to hear about blowing it up in 2024 again. 

Sure guy. We see you. 

2 minutes ago, Dunnie said:

He gets all of 2022 and unless he completely sh*ts the bed prolly the earliest he is jettisoned is mid 2023.

Not jettisoned next year at all. We all know that. The question is really if we should bench him before the season goes south SHOULD he play poorly. If he plays well this whole convo is moot and we are all happy 

I don't know about anybody else, but it seems to me like the whole Jets team is on the Zach train and will stay on it until it either crashes or leads them to someplace better, so I'm doing the same. I liked Zach as a pick and still think he can be successful if given the chance.

3 minutes ago, Hex said:

I don't know about anybody else, but it seems to me like the whole Jets team is on the Zach train and will stay on it until it either crashes or leads them to someplace better, so I'm doing the same. I liked Zach as a pick and still think he can be successful if given the chance.

The Jets team is. 

The 4 dudes here not so much. 

Good thing trolls don’t impact performance on the field. Other than in their head. 

• Upvote 2

25 minutes ago, Peace Frog said:

Please define AZM, thanks.

• Upvote 1

Outside of injuries sidelining Zach...he gets to play every game.  JD-Saleh's jobs ride with Zach's success or failure.  That's why I hope they focus more on offense this offseason, and beef up the OL and provide more playmakers.  I want the JD-Saleh-ZW Era to succeed and end the circle jerk of decades the Jets have been going through...in search of a true FQB.  A QB that can shred defenses for the NYJ for the next 12+ years.  

That's the kind of QB I want.  And I feel confident that Zach has the arm talent to pick defenses apart.  For me...Give ZW the tools to win or lose 28-27; 34-31; 45-42.  Not 14-13 or 20-17.  Score lots of points and then you know Jets got their FQB  for the long haul.  Then you can focus heavily on the defense moving forward.

JD-Saleh should be more focused this year on establishing Zach as a QB for the next decade+.  As a QB that can string together multiple playoff appearances over that period of time.  And land the Jets in the Supe once or twice before he's all done.  

Again...this is what the Jets have lacked.  A QB that has the arm talent and can hang around for a long period of time.  Whether its been injuries or their in declining years or other reasons.  Jets just haven't had a QB that can sustain a consistent level of play...for a decade...good enough for Jets to become a perennial playoff team.  IMO Zach can be that kind of QB.  But in order to find out for sure...you've got to go all out and give him the weapons and protection he needs to put points on the board.  Win or lose high scoring games will keep JD-Saleh out of hot water.  Because Jets fans will know ZW is the FQB NYJ for sure.

By 2023...Jets should be starting that string of playoff appearances.  If not...the JD-Saleh-ZW Era could be heading out the door.  Then it would be the Johnson's turn to once again do the circle jerk dance merry-go-round that the Jets have been riding for decades.

In today's NFL...with the rules favoring the offense...it's all about the QB.  For the NYJ...it's all about Zach Wilson's success or failure.  Nothing else matters. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

30 minutes ago, Peace Frog said:

Why does being pessimistic about Wilson's future make one a coward?

• Upvote 3

Outside of injuries sidelining Zach...he gets to play every game.  JD-Saleh's jobs ride with Zach's success or failure.  That's why I hope they focus more on offense this offseason, and beef up the OL and provide more playmakers.  I want the JD-Saleh-ZW Era to succeed and end the circle jerk of decades the Jets have been going through...in search of a true FQB.  A QB that can shred defenses for the NYJ for the next 12+ years.  
That's the kind of QB I want.  And I feel confident that Zach has the arm talent to pick defenses apart.  For me...Give ZW the tools to win or lose 28-27; 34-31; 45-42.  Not 14-13 or 20-17.  Score lots of points and then you know Jets got their FQB  for the long haul.  Then you can focus heavily on the defense moving forward.
 JD-Saleh should be more focused this year on establishing Zach as a QB for the next decade+.  As a QB that can string together multiple playoff appearances over that period of time.  And land the Jets in the Supe once or twice before he's all done.  
Again...this is what the Jets have lacked.  A QB that has the arm talent and can hang around for a long period of time.  Whether its been injuries or their in declining years or other reasons.  Jets just haven't had a QB that can sustain a consistent level of play...for a decade...good enough for Jets to become a perennial playoff team.  IMO Zach can be that kind of QB.  But in order to find out for sure...you've got to go all out and give him the weapons and protection he needs to put points on the board.  Win or lose high scoring games will keep JD-Saleh out of hot water.  Because Jets fans will know ZW is the FQB NYJ for sure.
By 2023...Jets should be starting that string of playoff appearances.  If not...the JD-Saleh-ZW Era could be heading out the door.  Then it would be the Johnson's turn to once again do the circle jerk dance merry-go-round that the Jets have been riding for decades.
In today's NFL...with the rules favoring the offense...it's all about the QB.  For the NYJ...it's all about Zach Wilson's success or failure.  Nothing else matters. 
Love this post ... however ... i believe low point totals are more likely to originate with the head coach's philosophy of all gas in reverse.