How long does Wilson get  

89 members have voted

1. 1. In your opinion how much time does Zach deserve in 22

• Week 5 (Pull him)
    • Week 9 (Pull, Hal way through season)
    • Week 12 (Pull him)
    • All of 2022 regardless of play

7 hours ago, Hal N of Provo said:

I feel like Zach turned the corner and he was doing the things he struggled to do early in the season - getting the ball out fast and making the easy throws.   Running when the defense gives it without sacrificing eyes down field.  

But  it seemed like they turned game plans away from what can make Zach a special player.  

You don’t draft Zach to play like Mac Jones.   You draft Mac Jones to play like Mac Jones.  I hope Zach continues to apply game manager improvement and they try to add back in the aggressive downfield stuff from early in the season - which had different WRs available to be fair.

He’s now able to take the easy stuff when the defense gives it.  With his new awareness to run when it’s there and his elusiveness to create time, it could be fun.  

In short, I want to see the Buc’s game Zach plus Titans game Zach.  

Kid has the Highest Ceiling of ANY of the QBs drafted last year.

You stay with him and keep building around him.  You give him as many weapons as possible (just like the Final 4 Qbs ALL had this year), and then you'll see "Zach Wilson Gameplans" for Zach Wilson.

The "game manager" gameplans were an obvious necessity for Wilson, at first to slow him down and get his head on straight to the point he could start hitting passes he has hit since he was 5 years old consistently like dump offs out of the backfield, which for some reason he all of a sudden could not (but it has been corrected) because he was too Amped up, and then the "game manager" game plans were still in place because Berrios was now his #1 WR.

Next year should be very exciting watching Zach Wilson play QB. His "Flashes" seen in 2021 were more than anything seen from Mac Jones (boring) or anyone else drafted with him.

• Upvote 4

I’m pretty patient. I prefer to give a young qb in a crappy situation 3 years. I wanted to see Darnold get 3 years and I feel like Wilson was in a crappy situation last year. 

That being said, I don’t think I could argue with pulling him midseason if he’s embarrassing the entire state New Yersey.

Outside of injuries sidelining Zach...he gets to play every game.  JD-Saleh's jobs ride with Zach's success or failure.  That's why I hope they focus more on offense this offseason, and beef up the OL and provide more playmakers.  I want the JD-Saleh-ZW Era to succeed and end the circle jerk of decades the Jets have been going through...in search of a true FQB.  A QB that can shred defenses for the NYJ for the next 12+ years.  
That's the kind of QB I want.  And I feel confident that Zach has the arm talent to pick defenses apart.  For me...Give ZW the tools to win or lose 28-27; 34-31; 45-42.  Not 14-13 or 20-17.  Score lots of points and then you know Jets got their FQB  for the long haul.  Then you can focus heavily on the defense moving forward.
 JD-Saleh should be more focused this year on establishing Zach as a QB for the next decade+.  As a QB that can string together multiple playoff appearances over that period of time.  And land the Jets in the Supe once or twice before he's all done.  
Again...this is what the Jets have lacked.  A QB that has the arm talent and can hang around for a long period of time.  Whether its been injuries or their in declining years or other reasons.  Jets just haven't had a QB that can sustain a consistent level of play...for a decade...good enough for Jets to become a perennial playoff team.  IMO Zach can be that kind of QB.  But in order to find out for sure...you've got to go all out and give him the weapons and protection he needs to put points on the board.  Win or lose high scoring games will keep JD-Saleh out of hot water.  Because Jets fans will know ZW is the FQB NYJ for sure.
By 2023...Jets should be starting that string of playoff appearances.  If not...the JD-Saleh-ZW Era could be heading out the door.  Then it would be the Johnson's turn to once again do the circle jerk dance merry-go-round that the Jets have been riding for decades.
In today's NFL...with the rules favoring the offense...it's all about the QB.  For the NYJ...it's all about Zach Wilson's success or failure.  Nothing else matters. 

JD and Saleh are not tied to Zach. If Darnold had success in Car they would be, but essentially JD traded one sh*tty QB for a cheaper sh*tty QB. At worst he bought a couple years of hope that a real QB prospect comes our way.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app
  • Upvote 1
  • WTF? 1

12 hours ago, Rangers9 said:

I put all of 2022 but I’ll amend that by saying he could be benched if terrible. I’m hoping 2022 isn’t another throwaway season we’ve had way too many of those. Look, you play to win the game not to break in a new Qb. So it’s up to JD to sign a good backup and if Zach falters give them a chance to play. JD can’t afford another 2 or 4 W season and most of us don’t want it we want to be competitive. QB is only one position not the entire team. You have to assume the Jets will be a lot better than the last 2 years. I think Zach improved last year get him better blocking and skill position players and he should be good. 

I agree with the first part of this. 

But, I will edit this:  Not sure Zach improved last year get him better blocking and skill position players and he could be better and maybe even good. 

16 hours ago, kevinc855 said:

Zach Wilson. Basically, we live or die with him it seems. 

Question, if Zach doesn't play well next year, how much time do you give him? Or do you give him all of 2022? 

For the record, I'm not a Zach hater, in fact I love nothing more than to see him shine. But reality is, he was pretty bad in 2021. With all the new upgrades in 2022, do we ride it out with him or move on earlier than we did with Sam? 

Your thoughts? Also, what do you consider improvement for him in 2022.

This is going to be a long off-season

• Haha 2

16 hours ago, Hal N of Provo said:

I feel like Zach turned the corner and he was doing the things he struggled to do early in the season - getting the ball out fast and making the easy throws.   Running when the defense gives it without sacrificing eyes down field.  

But  it seemed like they turned game plans away from what can make Zach a special player.  

You don’t draft Zach to play like Mac Jones.   You draft Mac Jones to play like Mac Jones.  I hope Zach continues to apply game manager improvement and they try to add back in the aggressive downfield stuff from early in the season - which had different WRs available to be fair.

He’s now able to take the easy stuff when the defense gives it.  With his new awareness to run when it’s there and his elusiveness to create time, it could be fun.  

In short, I want to see the Buc’s game Zach plus Titans game Zach.  

I want to see Zach be a successful  QB. There is no doubt Mac Jones was a success for the Pats. If Zach has similar success, I don't  care if he throws the ball 5 yards every pass. Get this team to the playoffs like Mac Jones did for the Pats.  

16 hours ago, 65 Toss Power Trap said:

Jets will absolutely have a losing season in 2022-23. So, what is the measure/threshold where Zach is proving himself? It can't be wins.

If he's playing decent on a losing team, and if he is progressing reasonably, keep him going. In other words, if he's playing around the level he was after his injury (with the exception of the Bills game), keep going.

If he's obviously sucking it as observed by any reasonable coach, then pull him around half way through the season, or earlier. Get a veteran in there for him to learn from. 

There is no point in sitting Zach anymore. He had this whole season to learn. If he hasn't learned the position after this season,  playing him behind a Vet is not going to help. 

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, kevinc855 said:

Actually you have your facts wrong here. I been rooting for him all year. I think it’s pretty clear I root for wins and by that it means rooting for the players on the field. However, I’m not a Zach homer nor did I really root for us to draft anyone else unlike 90 percent this board who wanted Lawrence.

Am I suprised by how poorly he played? Yea I am. This wasn’t a mid round qb we picked up it was the Number 2 pick. Did I say he shouldn’t start week 1 next year? No I didn’t. However I’m not going to sit around all next year if he continues to suck or we are doing the same exact thing we did with Sam and I get to hear about blowing it up in 2024 again. 

Honestly,  just having Moore and Carter on the O already makes his situation  much better than Sams, that is if they can stay healthy. 

9 hours ago, Hal N of Provo said:

The real answer that should be a poll question is listed above: if they are super disappointed in Zach after this season he will have to compete for the spot next year with a vet.  

Zach is going to come into camp better prepared and this won’t be a discussion next off-season.  

Well yes and no. With certain percentages of this board and jet fans in general, it's just always going to be a question. Some legitimatelly don't like Wilson for some reason. I can't think of a thing he could do to win over at least a quarter of the base. 

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, Peace Frog said:

Be pessimistic as much as you want. Sh*t on him a ton. It’s all opinion. 

Do NOT say you’re rooting for him love him hoping for him to be great being a big fan of him whilst sh*tting all over him. 

Have conviction in your hate.

Don’t be a coward. 

16 hours ago, Dunnie said:

Agreed ... don't like him for whatever reason stick to you guns and make your point ... couching you position is a girly move.

I am and have been fully behind the Wilson train ... if he sh*ts the bed ill own it.

Sorry, but I disagree completely with this line of thinking. 

It is okay to be disappointed in Zach's rookie year and still be rooting for him to succeed.  First and foremost, I am a Jet fan.  I want the Jets to win.  I was not happy when we drafted Wilson, but I rooted for him to prove me wrong.  I did not like what I saw out him as a rookie.  I will still be rooting for him to prove me wrong.  The fastest way to turn this thing around is for Wilson to be much better this year, and as a Jet fan, that is what I want.  I am not optimistic about what he will become.  Yes, I am rooting for him hoping him he will be great.  If that makes me a girly man, then so be it.   I have been called one before.  

SEC Network on Twitter: "Todd Gurley ran for 163 yds and 2 TDs, but his 50  yd pass has all the #Dawgs barkin! WATCH » http://t.co/2YmkFQIY1M  http://t.co/qfqIEKf8EG" / Twitter

• Upvote 2

12 hours ago, Peace Frog said:

That’s ironically pathetic Kev.

Us Jet fans know who you aren’t. 

See, this is bullsh!t. If you want to call people out for being "ant Zach" and also hoping for him to do well, fine. There is a hypocrisy to that. However, if you believe disliking Wilson as a player means you aren't a Jets fan, that means you are more of a Wilson fan than a Jets fan. 

I'm happy to put my cards on the table. I've been following the team since 1985 and I've had season tickets since 2008. I don't think Wilson is ever going to be a good player (even though I don't think enough time has passed to officially declare him a bust). All those years following the team and actually financially supporting them go away now because I don't think the current quarterback will ever pan out? That's not the way it works. 

• Post of the Week 1

3 minutes ago, maury77 said:

See, this is bullsh!t. If you want to call people out for being "ant Zach" and also hoping for him to do well, fine. There is a hypocrisy to that. However, if you believe disliking Wilson as a player means you aren't a Jets fan, that means you are more of a Wilson fan than a Jets fan. 

I'm happy to put my cards on the table. I've been following the team since 1985 and I've had season tickets since 2008. I don't think Wilson is ever going to be a good player (even though I don't think enough time has passed to officially declare him a bust). All those years following the team and actually financially supporting them go away now because I don't think the current quarterback will ever pan out? That's not the way it works. 

I was not making a generalized comment. Was specific to one poster saying he’s a Zach fan when he is clearly not. You can be a Jet fan and still not like Zach. Just don’t bullsh*t us. I have more respect for dudes that flat out hate him and say it. Not that e-respect counts for anything. 

18 hours ago, GreenReaper said:

In today's NFL...with the rules favoring the offense...it's all about the QB.  For the NYJ...it's all about Zach Wilson's success or failure.  Nothing else matters. 

True. What I most want to see from Zach is to move in the pocket and out of the pocket throw with accuracy. I want him to use his athletic ability to run for first downs and just not take unnecessary sacks. It seems like when he is pressured he runs from sideline to sideline, losing more yardage instead of throwing the ball away or running for positive yardage. Baby steps for sure but necessary ones.

23 hours ago, kevinc855 said:

Zach Wilson. Basically, we live or die with him it seems. 

Question, if Zach doesn't play well next year, how much time do you give him? Or do you give him all of 2022? 

For the record, I'm not a Zach hater, in fact I love nothing more than to see him shine. But reality is, he was pretty bad in 2021. With all the new upgrades in 2022, do we ride it out with him or move on earlier than we did with Sam? 

Your thoughts? Also, what do you consider improvement for him in 2022.

I guess there's not much else to talk about in Feb, but how many laps around the track do fans have to make before they appreciate that QBs need a couple years to show their quality. 

If i had a vote - i would be to steer away from "will he be good/what if he sucks " dialog to "what changes do you expect and hope for"

The answer, of course, is it depends.

If he's still kinda bleh, just keep letting it go & hope the light goes on for him as it's happened with a number of others.

If he's worse than that - so bad that you can see the coaches are going to lose the team - then pull him again even if they have to find an injury to blame it on. At some point all he's doing is sinking more & more, and sometimes a young player needs a break to regroup without preparing for an opponent. 

If it's the latter, the reason isn't because Flacco or whomever it is in the QB2 role is going to turn the whole season around and take the Jets to the playoffs. Rather, it'd be because there are other players to evaluate; if the QB is just that bad the coaches/GM may make the wrong decision for 2023 on which ones should return and which ones shouldn't. 

Short version: Some guys take longer to grow into the role, no matter how much we'd all wish to be wow'd by his play right away. So unless he's falling so flat on his face week after week after week, he gets the whole season, and should.

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, Aussie Jet said:

If Douglas spends any draft capital on a quarterback this draft, he is wasting his time and should be fired on the spot. So what would benching Wilson mid season achieve? A switch to Joe Flacco? How does that help the Jets?

Wilson will be the Jets quarterback for the season, barring any injury (God forbid).

Couldn't agree more with the bold text.  We're all in on Zach this coming season.  If he crashes and burns, we're better off losing as many games as possible and drafting another QB next year.  There is no point whatsoever trying to salvage a disaster of a season (should we have one) with Joe Flacco.

I'm hopeful Zach is going to be the guy btw.  There were at least some good signs the last few games of the year that we can hang on to (beyond just "didn't throw INTs").  But I still have no idea what he's going to become in this league.  

1 hour ago, Paradis said:

I guess there's not much else to talk about in Feb, but this how many laps around the track do fans have to make before they appreciate that QBs need a couple years to show their quality. 

If i had a vote - i would be to steer away from "will he be good/what if he sucks " dialog to "what changes do you expect and hope for"

I was told to wait 3 years for Sam to develop as well. Like I said let’s see how he starts season 2

1 hour ago, kevinc855 said:

Question for you. What year is it fair to say we are out of “evaluation time” and actually trying to go to the playoffs 

2 years. 

Next year is the building stage, year 2 playoffs.  Competitive.  No blowouts.  

Cannot expect a Bengals turnaround in 2022. 

But 2023. Yup. 

2 minutes ago, cincy jets fan12 said:

Zach stinks it up again next year, which he will, it’s time for another purge

Awesome! I'm going to have fun purging some posters here!

Oh, wait, you meant purging the Jets front office, didn't you?

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, Snell41 said:

JD and Saleh are not tied to Zach. If Darnold had success in Car they would be, but essentially JD traded one sh*tty QB for a cheaper sh*tty QB. At worst he bought a couple years of hope that a real QB prospect comes our way.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

JD-SALEH could have picked any one of about 4-5 QBs.  They picked Zach Wilson.  If he fails and one or two of the other QBs they didn't pick succeeds.  They'll get the the blame and the boot for sure.   

If JD-Saleh discard a QB they didn't pick for a QB of their choosing...that's their guy.  If Darnold succeeded and ZW fails...yea...JD-Saleh get blamed.  If Zach succeeds then they made the right choice by resetting the QB CAP to a cheap rookie contract.  That makes it a smart move moving forward by enabling the Jets to stock more CAP costing talent while Zach is on his rookie contract.   Meanwhile...Panthers are stuck with Darnold and his huge CAP hit.  

1 minute ago, GreenReaper said:

JD-SALEH could have picked any one of about 4-5 QBs.  They picked Zach Wilson.  If he fails and one or two of the other QBs they didn't pick succeeds.  They'll get the the blame and the boot for sure.   

If JD-Saleh discard a QB they didn't pick for a QB of their choosing...that's their guy.  If Darnold succeeded and ZW fails...yea...JD-Saleh get blamed.  If Zach succeeds then they made the right choice by resetting the QB CAP to a cheap rookie contract.  That makes it a smart move moving forward by enabling the Jets to stock more CAP costing talent while Zach is on his rookie contract.   Meanwhile...Panthers are stuck with Darnold and his huge CAP hit.  

JD knows he’s dead man walking unless Wilson pans out.  Unfortunately, that means Mike White rides pine during another trash season 

• Thumb Down 1
  • WTF? 1