Betty's Sunday Off-Season

BettyBoop

Another day, another off-season prediction.  Let's go!

Free Agency - Douglas will use his free agency money to set up his draft strategy.

• Cornerback - Douglas will look to sign a veteran CB to allow his youngsters to fight it out for CB2.  He won't break the bank on a corner but will look for a solid starter who can find the ball.  My guess here is Rasul Douglas, the former Eagle, who had a very solid year with the Packers.  Let's say Douglas signs 26 year old Douglas for $6.5mm per for two seasons.  Hall, Pinnock and Dunn then slug it out for CB2 and may the best man win and the others provide solid depth.  This will allow Douglas to wait until day three to take a corner.
  • Edge - Must be fortified significantly this offseason.  I think Douglas will look to sign a tier 2 starter, rotational guy, again, for depth purposes.  Douglas again dips into his Eagles background and signs Derrick Barnett.  Despite the Eagles $7mm dead cap hit, Barnett is a free agent and the Eagles will look to replace him with one of their three first round picks.  Barnett can provide excellent play as a starter and will be worth his two year $9mm per contract.  This likely won't impact the draft strategy much because you can't have too many pass rushers and if a good/great one is there at #4 or #10, he will be taken.
  • Safety - As much as Douglas and the fans would love to sign a superstar safety, I don't think he will have the luxury of having that kind of cash to dole out.  A guy like Jordon Whitehead is much more likely.  He signs for $8mm per for three years (with an out after two).  Even after this signing I think Douglas will look to draft one early on day three.
  • Right Guard - This is where it gets tricky.  Douglas could finish his work on the OL by signing a solid starter.  On the other hand, it seems more likely that Douglas wants to draft a G/T to provide instant improvement at guard AND provide depth at tackle.  If Douglas was successful in getting Morgan to sign a two-year deal last offseason, this would be a fait acompli.  But Moses refused to and that's that.  My guess is Douglas will re-sign LDT and take a first round OL.
  • Tight End - Again, the high level/priced guys are probably a pipe dream so I expect a guy like Evan Engram or Uzomah for $8mm per.

Trades/Re-Signings

• Wide Receiver - I think if Douglas had his druthers, his druther would be to trade for a WR1 instead of drafting one at #10.  My guess is Douglas goes hard after Jerry Jeudy or Calvin Ridley by offering a third this year and a 2023 third that could turn into a second based on playing time and stats.  That would allow Douglas to trade #10 for a later first rounder and a second or third this year or next.
  • As mentioned previously, I think LDT will be re-signed as insurance to start or provide depth.  Also, I think Fant will be extended creating more cap space this year.  Add Berrios and Lamarcus Joyner to the re-signed list.
  • Douglas will somewhat clean house by cutting several guys such as Van Rotten, Edoga, Ryan Griffen and Sheldon Rankins for a cap savings of $14mm.

Draft

• #4 - I still think this will be one of Evan Neal, Ekwanu or Charles Cross to provide instant upgrades and invaluable depth.
  • #10 - Trade!  Several QBs are still on the board and Douglas swings a trade with the RAIDERS (who trade Carr to the Steelers) for #22, # 53 and a 2023 2nd rounder.  Douglas rolls the dice that one of his Edges will be there in 12 picks.
  • #22 - Douglas's hunch is correct and he takes edge Travon Walker!
  • #35 - Chad Muma.  Douglas knows he needs to improve the LB position in 2022 and to replace Mosely in 2023.  Muma is a fast LB and can cover TE and backs out of the backfield which is desperately needed.
  • #38 - Trey McBride.  No explanation needed.
  • #53 - Traded for Ridley/Jeudy.
  • #69 - Rachaad White - to supplement Michael Carter I.
  • #110 - Jessie Luketa - yet another Edge.
  • #116 - Skye Moore - another WR.
  • Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

Off season is probably spot on - JD doesn’t tend to really go nuts.  Draft I’m not a fan of.  If I’m trading out of the top 10, I want a 2023 1st rounder. Muma seems to be a bit of a reach that early.  I think a good RB can be found later then 69. Also don’t see the need for multiple edges in the draft.

• Upvote 1

Our oline plans are totally up in the air due to one player, Becton.  (Frustratingly so)

There are a number of good safeties in Fa, this is the one spot we should pony up the big bucks

100% beware Rasul Douglass, i've heard his name a few times now.  He made a few splashy plays with the packers but was a huge underachiever on his way out before that.

• Upvote 1

FREE AGENCY - who I think will realistically be available

SPEND MODERATELY

• Rasaul Douglas CB
  • Steven Nelson CB
  • Derek Barnett EDGE
  • Arden Key EDGE
  • Jordan Whitehead SS
  • DJ Reed CB
  • Gerald Everett TE
  • Tyler Conklin TE
  • CJ Uzomah TE
  • David Njoku TE

SPEND BIG $$$ 

• Jessie Bates FS 
  • Marcus Williams FS
  • Dalton Schultz TE 
  • Mike Gesicki TE
  • DJ Chark WR
  • Allen Robinson WR
  • Chris Godwin WR

1 hour ago, Beerfish said:

Our oline plans are totally up in the air due to one player, Becton.  (Frustratingly so)

There are a number of good safeties in Fa, this is the one spot we should pony up the big bucks

100% beware Rasul Douglass, i've heard his name a few times now.  He made a few splashy plays with the packers but was a huge underachiever on his way out before that.

Spot on for Becton but I bet you the farm that the organization is has a better set of eyes what the plan for Becton is than we all do.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, NIGHT STALKER said:

Spot on for Becton but I bet you the farm that the organization is has a better set of eyes what the plan for Becton is than we all do.

Well the issue is with him and a decision on morgan moses.  If we sign moses and becton plays RT, moses has experience at guard and can slide into RG.  If not we have to find a rg of which there are a few good to decent  Fa guys there and then of course the possibility of the draft as well.

If we could 100% rely on becton at RT our planning would be a lot simpler.

The Jets are potentially losing their only All Pro player and WR 4 and RT and RG.  

They are currently deficient at a number of positions before they lost those players. 

So the Jets need to hope that Becton comes back functional, have a plan for RT and RG if he does and does not and then improve a variety of positions so they are NFL quality. 

I think the best way to to do that is to sign FA/trade for a WR, TE, S and CB and then draft. EDGE, OL, TE, WR, LB, S and CB.  

If JD can’t find in FA and the Draft better players than he currently has, and the Jets are not significantly better next season, his days will be numbered.  

1 hour ago, Adoni Beast said:

SPEND MODERATELY

• Akhello Witherspoon  CB
  • Derek Barnett EDGE
  • Dante Fowler EDGE
  • David Njoku TE
  • DJ Chark WR

SPEND BIG $$$ 

• Marcus Williams FS
  • Chris Godwin WR
  • JC Jackson CB
  • Stephen Gilmore CB
  • Randy Gregory EDGE

My list

4 hours ago, Adoni Beast said:

SPEND MODERATELY

• Rasaul Douglas CB
  • Steven Nelson CB
  • Derek Barnett EDGE
  • Arden Key EDGE
  • Jordan Whitehead SS
  • DJ Reed CB
  • Gerald Everett TE
  • Tyler Conklin TE
  • CJ Uzomah TE
  • David Njoku TE

SPEND BIG $$$ 

• Jessie Bates FS 
  • Marcus Williams FS
  • Dalton Schultz TE 
  • Mike Gesicki TE
  • DJ Chark WR
  • Allen Robinson WR
  • Chris Godwin WR

Dont see how Chark is under spending big. Cant deny the talent, but hes always injured. Not even banged up here and there injured...missing significant time in 2 of 3 seasons injured. Cant deny when hes played hes made an impact, but I can only see this going 1 of 2 ways: decent money for 1 year probe it deal OR small money on longer term.