What does everyone do on non football Sunday’s?

kevinc855

14 hours ago, kevinc855 said:

Had to google that

dude you live in Cancun? 

12 hours ago, OilfieldJet said:

Cozumel? 

I’m about a half an hour south of the Cancun airport in a town called Puerto Morelos. Been here two years now. I love it. 

11 minutes ago, slats said:

I’m about a half an hour south of the Cancun airport in a town called Puerto Morelos. Been here two years now. I love it. 

That’s mint. Are you American by birth? I’m always fascinated/jealous of Americans that had the balls to do the move to Mexico or Latin America. Outside of Costa Rica (and Bermuda, which is the same as they don’t have summer year round), I would have to imagine it’s a small amount of American people that call these paradises permanent home base. Am I wrong? Is it everything I think it is? Better? Inquiring minds want to know 

4 minutes ago, Anthony Jet said:

That’s mint. Are you American by birth? I’m always fascinated/jealous of Americans that had the balls to do the move to Mexico or Latin America. Outside of Costa Rica (and Bermuda, which is the same as they don’t have summer year round), I would have to imagine it’s a small amount of American people that call these paradises permanent home base. Am I wrong? Is it everything I think it is? Better? Inquiring minds want to know 

I lived my first 55 years, essentially, on Long Island. Started planning this retirement in my early 40s. Visited a number of places, mostly in Mexico, and decided on this place. It has a small town feel, but also an amazing number of really good restaurants. I get by without Spanish, although I keep promising myself that I’ll start learning some more. I crunched all the numbers left, right, and sideways, and thought for sure that I had to be missing something, but I wasn’t. Currently have a two bedroom house two blocks from the Caribbean for less than half of what I was paying for a two bedroom apartment in NY, and just bought a house in town that I’ll be moving into next month after they finish the pool I’m having put in. There’s a decent sized expat community here. Every one of us heard something along the lines of, “why would you move to Mexico?” Either you get it or you don’t. Have to be a little patient. Learn that mañana doesn’t always mean tomorrow, and go with the flow. It’s not for everyone, but it’s definitely for me. If you think you’d like it, I recommend spending some time down here and seeing for yourself. 

4 minutes ago, kevinc855 said:

How do you catch the games out there? Satellite? 

Last year I was using Reddit streams, but this year I bit the bullet and bought the NFL International package. Every game, Redzone channel… I think I paid $125. Well worth it. 

• Sympathy 2
  • Post of the Week 1

57 minutes ago, BUM-KNEE said:

Brook trout

SAM_0342.JPG

Damn that looks like fun! Where is that? I used to live off Millan Dr. - by Northport and Centerport Harbor and was back on the docks and fishing every day as a kid. Lots of snapper and flounder But Ice fishing looks friggin awesome and you don't even need a cooler for the beer!

• Upvote 1

The weather starts to get consistently nice in central Texas in Feb. We get more active as a family around this time.

Yesterday, we went for a family bike ride, took the kids to the playground, my wife and I went for a long walk, and I watched the kids play in the backyard. My wife and daughter also squeezed in time to play some dance game on the switch. We also go to Church every Sunday.

I’ll probably start consistently BBQ on the weekends soon.

Without football though, January’s would be awful. At least we have holidays to look forward to in November and December.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Nixhead said:

Damn that looks like fun! Where is that? I used to live off Millan Dr. - by Northport and Centerport Harbor and was back on the docks and fishing every day as a kid. Lots of snapper and flounder But Ice fishing looks friggin awesome and you don't even need a cooler for the beer!

This is Little Schoodic over on the blueberry barrons in Cherryfield. They dont get much snow downeast, but they do get some ice!

12 minutes ago, kevinc855 said:

thats cheaper then the sunday ticket lol

Everything’s cheaper here. I pay a couple hundred dollars a year for car insurance and property tax. High speed internet is about $25/month. I pay less for Netflix and HBO, too. Same service, just less money. 

• Upvote 1

53 minutes ago, GreenFish said:

The weather starts to get consistently nice in central Texas in Feb. We get more active as a family around this time.

Yesterday, we went for a family bike ride, took the kids to the playground, my wife and I went for a long walk, and I watched the kids play in the backyard. My wife and daughter also squeezed in time to play some dance game on the switch. We also go to Church every Sunday.

Without football though, January’s would be awful. At least we have holidays to look forward to in November and December.

Where you at?

I'm very close to Fort Worth, was super nice outside yesterday, we worked on the lawn, watched a movie, I think we'll go to the zoo next weekend.

• Upvote 2

14 hours ago, Green Ghost said:

Sorry Munch. This post touched my heart though.

I lost my mom about a 1 1/2 years ago, and I can’t tell you how often she’s in my dreams. I asked my sisters and dad if it happens with them, but I’m the only one.  

My sisters say “you were always her favorite, guess you still are…”

Talk about "touching my heart".   Your post left me with such an impression of how we are all still so connected with our lost loved ones.  Sorry about your loss as well, GG.

• Upvote 1

Just now, kevinc855 said:

Dm me wirh condo prices lol

Real estate is the only thing consistently going up here. This town’s population doubled since the last census, and some locals complain that us gringos are driving up prices - and they’re right. I moved down thinking I might rent forever, but rents have gone up a lot in the two years I’ve been here. Still, I had a two bed, two bath house in what we call, “the colonia,” which is more Mexican and about five minutes from the beach, or a $1.50 cab ride, that cost me $600/month. The house here that’s a short walk to the beach just went up from $900 to $1000. Houses here are generally attached, but I’m buying in a neighborhood of stand alone houses that’s rapidly getting gentrified. I paid about $150K for a house with a brand new kitchen and master bath, and am dropping another $25K for the pool and backyard that I won’t ever have to leave, lol. But there are two bed, one bath attached houses going for $70K in the colonia, in cute, gated communities. You can still get a waterfront one bed condo in the $150K range, but those prices are on the rise, too. 

• Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, OilfieldJet said:

Half way to Play del Carmen, and yet a million miles away, very nice Slats.

Oh yeah. I considered Playa but eliminated it once I stayed for a few days. Completely different vibe. I only go there for shopping I can’t do here. I don’t care for it at all. 

11 hours ago, chirorob said:

Where you at?

I'm very close to Fort Worth, was super nice outside yesterday, we worked on the lawn, watched a movie, I think we'll go to the zoo next weekend.

Love Fort Worth. It has a really cool vibe.

We’re near Austin. Took advantage of another great day. We went for a hike today.

• Upvote 2

13 hours ago, GreenFish said:

12 hours ago, chirorob said:

Where you at?

Love Austin, but couldn’t make it work with the family - so we’re moving to Prosper as soon as your new build is finished (hopefully around May). Looking forward to all of this with two very young rugrats.

• Upvote 1