OT: Juwan Howard Strikes Joe Krabbenhoft After Michigan-Wisconsin Game

6 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Also, let's not forget that Howard didn't hit the Wisconsin HC.  He hit an assistant coach.  So if he really was upset about the arm thing, why would he hit someone else?

i'm not defending howard or what he did.  as a leader of young men, he needs to do a better job controlling his emotions.  he deserves whatever suspension the big 10 and/or michigan hands down.

but as to the wisc. assistant that howard actually hit, if you look at this clip, the WI coach in question was actually pushing michigan players.  again, not excusing howard, but it seems he disengaged with gard, and then saw the wisc. assistant coach pushing his players, which led to juwan striking the assistant.

there are also clips of wisconsin assistants tackling michigan players and a wisconsin player sucker punching a michigan player.  again, juwan bears responsibility for escalating the situation, something a coach should not do.  he deserves to be suspended.  but wisconsin and its coaches and players had a role in this thing escalating.  hopefully the disciple reflects both sides.

10 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

I saw it differently. Coaches routinely grab elbows in the line. There's video of the Wisconsin coach doing it previously with Howard. Slow sports time of year so I guess this is amplified. As far as the timeout goes it was justified as Michigan was playing full court man on walk-ons who started crapping themselves and they needed a reset on the 10 second clock. 

Typically, when I shake a hand, I put my hand out to indicate that is my intention.   Not approach someone from the side and grab their elbow and yoke it backward and never extend a hand to shake but like you said, we saw it differently and that's cool!  

6 minutes ago, JiFapono said:

You're not the one that gets to say how Juwan Howard was supposed to feel.  That's for Juwan Howard to determine in that moment.  Nobody is excusing Howard for his actions.  He was out of line with his response.  The fact is this started with physical contact from the Wisc. coach and any reasonable person would understand that none of this happens if he didn't initiate contact. 

They both should be suspended and move on.

I defended him being upset at the timeout ("But I'll admit that he's allowed to be a huge baby if he wants to be.  No issue there.").

51 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

So that excuses Howard from the hitting the other team's assistant coach and sparking a potential brawl?!  And Howard is the HC.  You can't blame his players for following his lead. And this is not the first such incident (and the other one happened only 1 year prior).  All signs point to he deserves to be fired immediately.

OMG, dude needs to get off caffeine sugar and join an anger management circle. Time off to work on himself? Sure, fired GTFO

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, JiFapono said:

Typically, when I shake a hand, I put my hand out to indicate that is my intention.   Not approach someone from the side and grab their elbow and yoke it backward and never extend a hand to shake but like you said, we saw it differently and that's cool!  

Wut? You’ve always grabbed my balls  and yelled  Yahtzee! 

• Haha 3

10 minutes ago, jetblue95 said:

i'm not defending howard or what he did.  as a leader of young men, he needs to do a better job controlling his emotions.  he deserves whatever suspension the big 10 and/or michigan hands down.

but as to the wisc. assistant that howard actually hit, if you look at this clip, the WI coach in question was actually pushing michigan players.  again, not excusing howard, but it seems he disengaged with gard, and then saw the wisc. assistant coach pushing his players, which led to juwan striking the assistant.

there are also clips of wisconsin assistants tackling michigan players and a wisconsin player sucker punching a michigan player.  again, juwan bears responsibility for escalating the situation, something a coach should not do.  he deserves to be suspended.  but wisconsin and its coaches and players had a role in this thing escalating.  hopefully the disciple reflects both sides.

Is that why he didn't bring it up in his post-game press conference?

8 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

These are college basketball head coaches.  It's perfectly reasonable to expect that they'll be able to control their temper.  Juwan Howard was WAY out of line.  And this was not the first time either.  He absolutely deserves to be fired.

You realize Wisconsin guy was out of line and started the whole thing, right?  

Hand shake time is supposed to be a show of sportsmanship and nothing more.   Even if you are pissed and want to kill the other team with a rusty screwdriver, it shows you and everyone it’s just a game.  

In the line, don’t stop no matter what, shake, and “good game” if you want to speak.  Nothing more.  Wisconsin guy broke the code, 1 game game suspension.  

Howard was going down the line.  He responded with too much heat and threw a punch.   Since he didn't start it, punishment should be light - 2 games.   

4 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

OMG, dude needs to get off caffeine sugar and join an anger management circle. Time off to work on himself? Sure, fired GTFO

This was not the first time this type of thing has happened.  

https://nypost.com/2021/03/13/juwan-howard-allegedly-threatened-mark-turgeon-in-ejection/

1 minute ago, Hal N of Provo said:

You realize Wisconsin guy was out of line and started the whole thing, right?  

Hand shake time is supposed to be a show of sportsmanship and nothing more.   Even if you are pissed and want to kill the other team with a rusty screwdriver, it shows you and everyone it’s just a game.  

In the line, don’t stop no matter what, shake, and “good game” if you want to speak.  Nothing more.  Wisconsin guy broke the code, 1 game game suspension.  

Howard was going down the line.  He responded with too much heat and threw a punch.   Since he didn't start it, punishment should be light - 2 games.   

I don't think the Gard started it.  Howard said something like "I'm going to remember that" before Gard had a chance to say anything.  Gard put his hand on Howard's arm to (in his words) try to explain to him why he called the timeout.  Howard clearly has major anger management issues.  And he invented a reason to be upset.  Howard had his guys playing press defense.  Gard had every right to call a timeout while still staying within the "unwritten rules".  

30 minutes ago, playtowinthegame said:

I won't be the least surprised  if Howard is never coaching collegiate athletes again after this and Greg Gard doesn't even get a single game suspension.

My initial reaction was that he'd be fired but I suspect if that was going to happen it would have happened already. We're practically on to the next news cycle.

5 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

I don't think the Gard started it.  Howard said something like "I'm going to remember that" before Gard had a chance to say anything.  Gard put his hand on Howard's arm to (in his words) try to explain to him why he called the timeout.  Howard clearly has major anger management issues.  And he invented a reason to be upset.  Howard had his guys playing press defense.  Gard had every right to call a timeout while still staying within the "unwritten rules".  

If Howard said that he’s an idiot and no longer gets off as easily.  I’d suspend him for 5 games then.  

Wisconsin guy moves aggressively in a way I’m sympathetic with punching him after a game.   If Howard gets 5 games Wisconsin guy needs 2+ then.  

1 minute ago, Hal N of Provo said:

If Howard said that he’s an idiot and no longer gets off as easily.  I’d suspend him for 5 games then.  

Wisconsin guy moves aggressively in a way I’m sympathetic with punching him after a game.   If Howard gets 5 games Wisconsin guy needs 2+ then.  

To me, unless some new info about this comes out, Howard should be fired and Gard should get no penalty whatsoever.

I do think that the handshake line is either going to be gotten rid of or there will be "rules" about it going forward.

6 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Fists being thrown by players, all started by Juwan Howard's overreaction.  And people are excusing this behavior from a HC?!  

6 hours ago, Pac said:

You seem pretty outraged.  He should get suspended 5 games without pay and told next incident results in his dismissal.

WI coach didn't have to grab him and stop him from moving on.

5 hours ago, IndianaJet said:

Wisconsin coach should not get off scot free in this. Howard was perfectly happy to walk right by him and just head the locker room. Wiscy coached grabbed Howard by the arm, pulled him back and started pointing and yelling at him.

Howard has to be able to control himself in that situation and should never ever swing at anyone....but this doesn't happen if the Wiscy coach didn't grab him to try and get in his face.

Both need to be suspended, not just Howard.

4 hours ago, JiFapono said:

Interesting perspective because what I see is that this was clearly started by the fat white bald dude who initiated the physical contact.  Howard simply said "I'll remember that sh*t" which if fine, and then fat white bald dude jumps on the scene and aggressively grabs Howard. He grabs his arm, pushes it back and starts trying to control Howard physically.  Howard said "dont touch me" - the man continued to touch him.  Honestly surprised Howard didnt knock him out the second he grabbed his arm because homeboy had no reason to touch Howard.  

Thanks for posting, totally shines light on what really happened and it's totally the fat white bald dudes fault. 

All of this.

Wisconsin coach was told “don’t touch me” after a clearly aggressive grab and move in on personal space.

He should have Le t go. Instead he pushed in deeper. 

This thread is filled with mostly terrible takes on this - as has become JN standard. Juwan didn’t start the fight, he finished it. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

His first response is to grab the arm that's grabbing him and firmly stating not to touch him. So yes, that's absolutely a self defense response. 

You can't possibly be this 

He escalated the situation.

Either way, UM cant keep him. He's now a legal liability if he ever loses control in the future, lawsuits aplenty.

Throw in the stigma of the sexual abuse cases surrounding the school. Howard picked the wrong time to fo this.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Integrity28 said:

All of this.

Wisconsin coach was told “don’t touch me” after a clearly aggressive grab and move in on personal space.

He should have Le t go. Instead he pushed in deeper. 

This thread is filled with mostly terrible takes on this - as has become JN standard. Juwan didn’t start the fight, he finished it. 

So if you think the Wisconsin HC started this then do you think he should be fired?  And Howard should be able to take his anger out on a Wisconsin assistant coach?  And how far was Howard allowed to go?  Could he have given the assistant coach a closed hand punch?  That would've been "okay" because Gard put his hand on Howard's arm?

Btw, we both know that Howard didn't feel physically threatened by Gard's hand on his arm.  Howard was just upset and being a huge baby that Gard dared to call a timeout despite Howard playing press defense.  

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

So if you think the Wisconsin HC started this then do you think he should be fired?  And Howard should be able to take his anger out on a Wisconsin assistant coach?  And how far was Howard allowed to go?  Could he have given the assistant coach a closed hand punch?  That would've been "okay" because Gard put his hand on Howard's arm?

Btw, we both know that Howard didn't feel physically threatened by Gard's hand on his arm.  Howard was just upset and being a huge baby that Gard dared to call a timeout despite Howard playing press defense.  

This is a really stupid post.

Being bigger doesn’t cancel out the sequence of events. 

I don’t see any point to arguing about other things that didn’t actually happen, like closed fist punches, when you cannot even acknowledge what did happen.

13 minutes ago, Peace Frog said:

Just saw this thread, glad I missed it all. 

Folks just love calling other folks racist. 

All I know is this thread would have a different feel if Luc Longley was the coach of MI and Vinnie Microwave Johnson was the coach of WI.

I'm not calling that racist but it is a fact.

• Upvote 4