Sign One, Draft One; A Possible Strategy for Joe Douglas

JetNation

JoeDouglasPractice.jpg

For what seems like the last half a decade or longer, Jets fans have entered each new year thinking the same thing: This is the most important off-season for the Jets in a long time. Currently in sole possession of the NFL’s longest playoff drought at 11 years, and armed to the hilt with draft capital and cap space, one could argue that 2022 actually is the most important off-season the Jets have faced in a long time. If maneuvered properly, Joe Douglas and staff have the potential to turn the franchise around in a similar fashion to the Cincinnati Bengals.

Building through the draft while supplementing the roster with veteran free agents has long been the MO of the Jets’ general manager, so the expectation is for him to traverse through the next few months in that way. Could he make a splash trade for a quality starter? Sure. Has his past shown him to have that tendency? No. Here is a possible method, however, he could deploy in order to efficiently improve a roster that is both young and depleted of talent: Sign One, Draft One.

In the upcoming 2022 NFL Draft, the New York Jets currently have 9 selections. Four in the top-38, a third round pick, and two picks in both the 4th and 5th rounds. Coincidentally, there are 9 position groups, excluding quarterback, on the roster: running back, wide receiver, tight end, offensive line, edge rusher, interior defensive line, linebacker, cornerback, and safety. Outside of a veteran cornerback acquisition last year (no, Justin Hardee does not count), Joe Douglas added a player at every other position in free agency. Tevin Coleman, Corey Davis, Tyler Kroft, Dan Feeney, Carl Lawson, Sheldon Rankins, Jarrad Davis, and Lamarcus Joyner. That same philosophy can also be applied to this upcoming Free Agency period, without breaking the bank at every position.

In terms of the draft, below is a mock draft that I did using The Draft Network’s simulator, where I strategically selected a player from each position group, while still adding value and depth to the roster. I did not use trades, although I can see a scenario where Joe Douglas looks to trade back (particularly pick 10 overall) and acquire more picks.

• Round 1, Pick 4: N.C. State OL Ikem Ekwonu
  • Round 1, Pick 10: Ohio State WR Garrett Wilson
  • Round 2, Pick 35: Minnesota EDGE Boye Mafe
  • Round 2, Pick 38: Colorado State TE Trey McBride
  • Round 3, Pick 69: Wyoming LB Chad Muma
  • Round 4, Pick 109: Missouri RB Tyler Badie
  • Round 4, Pick 115: Georgia Tech S Tariq Carpenter
  • Round 5, Pick: 145: Fayetteville State CB Joshua Williams
  • Round 5, Pick 162: Ohio State iDL Haskell Garrett

The post Sign One, Draft One; A Possible Strategy for Joe Douglas appeared first on JetNation.com (NY Jets Blog & Forum).

Click here to read the full story...

• Upvote 4

15 hours ago, JetNation said:

JoeDouglasPractice.jpg

For what seems like the last half a decade or longer, Jets fans have entered each new year thinking the same thing: This is the most important off-season for the Jets in a long time. Currently in sole possession of the NFL’s longest playoff drought at 11 years, and armed to the hilt with draft capital and cap space, one could argue that 2022 actually is the most important off-season the Jets have faced in a long time. If maneuvered properly, Joe Douglas and staff have the potential to turn the franchise around in a similar fashion to the Cincinnati Bengals.

Building through the draft while supplementing the roster with veteran free agents has long been the MO of the Jets’ general manager, so the expectation is for him to traverse through the next few months in that way. Could he make a splash trade for a quality starter? Sure. Has his past shown him to have that tendency? No. Here is a possible method, however, he could deploy in order to efficiently improve a roster that is both young and depleted of talent: Sign One, Draft One.

In the upcoming 2022 NFL Draft, the New York Jets currently have 9 selections. Four in the top-38, a third round pick, and two picks in both the 4th and 5th rounds. Coincidentally, there are 9 position groups, excluding quarterback, on the roster: running back, wide receiver, tight end, offensive line, edge rusher, interior defensive line, linebacker, cornerback, and safety. Outside of a veteran cornerback acquisition last year (no, Justin Hardee does not count), Joe Douglas added a player at every other position in free agency. Tevin Coleman, Corey Davis, Tyler Kroft, Dan Feeney, Carl Lawson, Sheldon Rankins, Jarrad Davis, and Lamarcus Joyner. That same philosophy can also be applied to this upcoming Free Agency period, without breaking the bank at every position.

In terms of the draft, below is a mock draft that I did using The Draft Network’s simulator, where I strategically selected a player from each position group, while still adding value and depth to the roster. I did not use trades, although I can see a scenario where Joe Douglas looks to trade back (particularly pick 10 overall) and acquire more picks.

The post Sign One, Draft One; A Possible Strategy for Joe Douglas appeared first on JetNation.com (NY Jets Blog & Forum).

robert sala and joe dougles and there Deffensieve  has to be on the same page

• Post of the Week 1

23 minutes ago, slats said:

The Jets do not need another first round OL. The best RG in the history of the league vs. a league average RG makes a minimal difference. And don’t tell me this guy is gonna play OT in a year or two, that’s not the team’s hope/plan, they want Becton to succeed and he’s just to big to be moved inside. Any first round OL will play guard for two years at a minimum, and that’s an inexcusable waste of a premium asset. Drafting another OL is akin to playing Sheldon Richardson at LB.

The Jets need playmakers on both sides of the ball. There are no Pitts or Chases in this draft, but there are a bunch of playmakers at Edge available to a team that hasn’t had a pass rush since the previous century. Taking the best Edge at #4 -even if two Edges have already been selected- will do significantly more for the team in terms of potential wins and losses than a guard. A team in desperate need for pass rush help shouldn’t be waiting until later to get help there. That’s the type of thinking that got the team Mims instead of Claypool or Jefferson. Or, better yet, taking a guard over an Edge would be similar to taking a TE in Jace Amaro over WRs Davanta Adams or Jarvis Landry because there are plenty of WRs in the draft - no need to take one this early! 

Premium positions with premium picks. I’m hoping they plug the OL in free agency by either retaining LDT and Moses or finding upgrades but, if they don’t, you know where they will be able to find a starting caliber guard? The third round. They’re there every year. 

I think the one mickey with this is the legitimate fear that Becton sucks.

1 hour ago, nj meadowlands said:

I think the one mickey with this is the legitimate fear that Becton sucks.

He doesn’t suck, though. When he’s been on the field, he’s played very well. The issue is his ability to stay on the field. So what the team needs in some insurance at the position. You don’t buy insurance with the 4th pick in the draft, you pick up insurance in free agency. If it looks like Becton isn’t working out after next year, you can draft an OT. It’s not like the aren’t available. Draft a couple from the third round on to start grooming this year, if you want. Get the playmaker at #4, though. These guys are in a bit of a hot seat. They need difference makers. A guard isn’t gonna cut it. 

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, slats said:

He doesn’t suck, though. When he’s been on the field, he’s played very well. The issue is his ability to stay on the field. So what the team needs in some insurance at the position. You don’t buy insurance with the 4th pick in the draft, you pick up insurance in free agency. If it looks like Becton isn’t working out after next year, you can draft an OT. It’s not like the aren’t available. Draft a couple from the third round on to start grooming this year, if you want. Get the playmaker at #4, though. These guys are in a bit of a hot seat. They need difference makers. A guard isn’t gonna cut it. 

I agree with the premise.  I just think there are a few complicating factors, including that Becton was supposed to be the cornerstone, franchise Left Tackle (one of the premium positions you rightly beat the drum for), and now there are legitimate questions as to whether he'll even contribute next year.  So the position you are "insuring" here is not just any position - it's a critical one.  And, if you draft Ekwonu for example, and it turns out that Becton is good and your insurance was belt-and-suspenders... well, then you have another road-grading guard to put next to him who can switch over to tackle eventually. That makes our offense better next year. My thinking on Ekwonu changes if we can somehow land Brandon Scherff in FA.  At that point I would become a lot more averse to going OL in the first round (though I would still consider it in 2 or 3).

The other complicating factor is the seeming lack of "playmaker" talent going in the top of these mock drafts (which will coincidentally make it harder to trade down).  There seems to be a lot of quality OL, a lot of quality edge rushers, and then a lot of DBs and WRs with arguable warts.  I am as gung-ho as anyone about taking a WR in the first round this year (even if we get Cooper or Ridley or Godwin), but what about the other pick?  As you said, there are no Pitts's, or Chases, or even Saquons.

• Upvote 1

On 2/22/2022 at 12:27 AM, JetNation said:

JoeDouglasPractice.jpg

Hmm.  Looks like another "draft a little bit of everything" type of draft, like JD's first draft. He did draft 2 OL that year, but neither played a single regular season game last year.

He should draft at least 2 OL, but not necessarily any in the first (I'd consider Linderbaum at 10, but only if they really think he's extra special).  Assuming they don't take any OL in the 1st round, take an OT in the 2nd round (they need a young swing tackle regardless of who plays RT this year....time to move on from Edoga and McDermott) and an IOL in the 3rd or 4th.

And, depending upon free agency signings, he should consider taking 2 edges...and maybe 2 tight ends.

Double down at 2 or 3 positions to increase the chance of landing a good player who can start right away, or at least very soon.

4 hours ago, slats said:

The Jets do not need another first round OL.

Agreed. Between AVT and Becton that’s like 4 picks on them alone. Our o line solidified decently this year, supplement in FA or find a guy in the 3rd. Picks 4 and 10 need to be impact players. I prefer one on each side of the ball

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, kevinc855 said:

Agreed. Between AVT and Becton that’s like 4 picks on them alone. Our o line solidified decently this year, supplement in FA or find a guy in the 3rd. Picks 4 and 10 need to be impact players. I prefer one on each side of the ball

I hear what you are saying, but would you consider Zach Martin and Quentin Nelson impact players?

On 2/21/2022 at 9:27 PM, JetNation said:

JoeDouglasPractice.jpg

Would be an incredible draft. I think it should be broader. Jets need 2 of TE OL WR EDGE minimum and preferably 2 from the draft

9 hours ago, slats said:

The Jets do not need another first round OL. The best RG in the history of the league vs. a league average RG makes a minimal difference. And don’t tell me this guy is gonna play OT in a year or two, that’s not the team’s hope/plan, they want Becton to succeed and he’s just to big to be moved inside. Any first round OL will play guard for two years at a minimum, and that’s an inexcusable waste of a premium asset. Drafting another OL is akin to playing Sheldon Richardson at LB.

The Jets need playmakers on both sides of the ball. There are no Pitts or Chases in this draft, but there are a bunch of playmakers at Edge available to a team that hasn’t had a pass rush since the previous century. Taking the best Edge at #4 -even if two Edges have already been selected- will do significantly more for the team in terms of potential wins and losses than a guard. A team in desperate need for pass rush help shouldn’t be waiting until later to get help there. That’s the type of thinking that got the team Mims instead of Claypool or Jefferson. Or, better yet, taking a guard over an Edge would be similar to taking a TE in Jace Amaro over WRs Davanta Adams or Jarvis Landry because there are plenty of WRs in the draft - no need to take one this early! 

Premium positions with premium picks. I’m hoping they plug the OL in free agency by either retaining LDT and Moses or finding upgrades but, if they don’t, you know where they will be able to find a starting caliber guard? The third round. They’re there every year. 

GVR says hi

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, slats said:

Not buying that at all.  Moses ain't coming back on a back up OT deal, Fant is 30 and in his final year of his contract, and Becton is a big freaking question mark.  I might buy this reasoning if Moses is resigned before the draft, but I do not see that happening...at which point the Jets DO need another quality OT.

11 hours ago, slats said:

Bingo!  And as former SB winning coach, Jimmy Johnson's answer to this question..."Jimmy, what do you attribute to you winning multiple Super Bowls"?  Answer..."You can't have enough PLAY MAKERS"!

14 hours ago, Fantasy Island said:

GVR says hi

GVR is bad. He’s not average or replacement level. Once he was replaced with LDT, the OL was playing well. 

14 hours ago, section314 said:

I would disagree. What do you consider an impact player?

A guard can be an impact player, but you only need one or two on your OL. After that, it becomes overkill, especially as it impacts other areas of the team. Shoring up the RG position with the #4 pick would be textbook overkill. 

To me, though, a true impact player creates points or takeaways. Those are the types of players the Jets are embarrassingly short on. I would absolutely prefer he reach a little for an Edge and WR at #4 & 10 in an attempt to find a couple of those guys, instead of the frightened, “avoiding the bust,” type pick that the OL would be. Taking either tackle there would be straight out of Maccagnan’s playbook. 

13 hours ago, greenwave81 said:

Not buying that at all.  Moses ain't coming back on a back up OT deal, Fant is 30 and in his final year of his contract, and Becton is a big freaking question mark.  I might buy this reasoning if Moses is resigned before the draft, but I do not see that happening...at which point the Jets DO need another quality OT.

Fant is allegedly in contract negotiations. The Jets gave him his shot as a starter and he performed well here. You can bet he’d like to be back. Also, OL can play at a high level into their late 30s, and Fant has low mileage. Only they know how big a question mark Becton is. He’s looked good when he’s been on the field, the problem with him is staying on the field. I do know he’s JD’s first ever draft pick, and that he wants to see him succeed. I think a move to the right side will help him if he accepts it. At that point you still need insurance in the form of a backup RT. Moses accepted that job from the Jets last year and also performed well here. He has a better idea than either of us if he thinks Becton will be on the field or not this year. A deal with some rich playing time incentives might help convince him to return. If not, there will be other OTs on the market. What they don’t need to do is draft a backup RT/starting RG with the fourth pick in the draft. 

• Upvote 1

23 hours ago, slats said:

Yea WHEN hes been on the field.

Face it, we are in a crisis with this injured, lazy tease that seems more interested in quarts of ben and jerry and a ps4. I do not agree with you that we dont need another 1st round lineman. A killer line is the foundation for success. We have plenty of picks

10 minutes ago, slats said:

GVR is bad. He’s not average or replacement level. Once he was replaced with LDT, the OL was playing well. 

A guard can be an impact player, but you only need one or two on your OL. After that, it becomes overkill, especially as it impacts other areas of the team. Shoring up the RG position with the #4 pick would be textbook overkill. 

To me, though, a true impact player creates points or takeaways. Those are the types of players the Jets are embarrassingly short on. I would absolutely prefer he reach a little for an Edge and WR at #4 & 10 in an attempt to find a couple of those guys, instead of the frightened, “avoiding the bust,” type pick that the OL would be. Taking either tackle there would be straight out of Maccagnan’s playbook. 

Fant is allegedly in contract negotiations. The Jets gave him his shot as a starter and he performed well here. You can bet he’d like to be back. Also, OL can play at a high level into their late 30s, and Fant has low mileage. Only they know how big a question mark Becton is. He’s looked good when he’s been on the field, the problem with him is staying on the field. I do know he’s JD’s first ever draft pick, and that he wants to see him succeed. I think a move to the right side will help him if he accepts it. At that point you still need insurance in the form of a backup RT. Moses accepted that job from the Jets last year and also performed well here. He has a better idea than either of us if he thinks Becton will be on the field or not this year. A deal with some rich playing time incentives might help convince him to return. If not, there will be other OTs on the market. What they don’t need to do is draft a backup RT/starting RG with the fourth pick in the draft. 

man you've pick a very strange hill to die on......

As mentioned, fant is 30, moses may not come back and becton has issues.

What if all three of these things happened: moses does not resign, fant begins to slow down and becton is still injured. Do you not agree that we are in a HUGE world of problems then? What exactly is your issue with building a strong young Oline? Your plan relies on old men and big question marks.

5 minutes ago, HighPitch said:

I do not agree with you that we dont need another 1st round lineman. A killer line is the foundation for success. We have plenty of picks

You may not, but the NFL does. That’s why no one has drafted OL in the first round three years in a row, to my best knowledge, ever. Certainly not three picks in the top half of the round. It’s a waste of resources. It’s the same exact thing as taking DTs every year. Yes, it’s a premium position; no, you don’t need three first rounders there. 

The OL was playing well in the second half of the season last year. I’m not against drafting one or more in the third round or later. Maybe even the second if they couldn’t find a starting RG in free agency, but that’s it. If JD takes another first round OL, I’ll start making my way off of his bandwagon. It would tell me that he doesn’t understand how to build a team. They need impact players on both sides of the ball. Touchdown scorers and turnover creators. 

On 2/21/2022 at 11:27 PM, JetNation said:

JoeDouglasPractice.jpg

Love this. Just posted my 3 round, no trade mock in the Draft forum:

image.thumb.png.281c1952b3a01e9369f2ff251417b333.png

15 hours ago, greenwave81 said:

Agree with this, we need OL in Round 1.

1 hour ago, slats said:

You may not, but the NFL does. That’s why no one has drafted OL in the first round three years in a row, to my best knowledge, ever. Certainly not three picks in the top half of the round. It’s a waste of resources. It’s the same exact thing as taking DTs every year. Yes, it’s a premium position; no, you don’t need three first rounders there. 

The OL was playing well in the second half of the season last year. I’m not against drafting one or more in the third round or later. Maybe even the second if they couldn’t find a starting RG in free agency, but that’s it. If JD takes another first round OL, I’ll start making my way off of his bandwagon. It would tell me that he doesn’t understand how to build a team. They need impact players on both sides of the ball. Touchdown scorers and turnover creators. 

I find myself stepping off the Ekwonu bandwagon, and largely getting on board with drafting Edge3 (or better) at #4.  I think when it's all said and done, that will be Jermaine Johnson, he's just too good at setting the edge.  At pick #10 however, I can see a very real scenario where JD trades back, recoups a mid-rounder, and then stares at the board and pulls the trigger on Tyler Linderbaum; supposedly the best OC prospect ever evaluated ever.   

That may ruffle some McGovern feathers, but we have a nice out in his contract should we decide to let him walk.   Say we sign a Laken Tomlinson in free agency to play RG.  What say you to drafting another OL in the first round if he's the centerpiece (literally) for the next decade, and we get him in the teens?

On 2/23/2022 at 9:02 AM, slats said:

The Jets do not need another first round OL. The best RG in the history of the league vs. a league average RG makes a minimal difference. And don’t tell me this guy is gonna play OT in a year or two, that’s not the team’s hope/plan, they want Becton to succeed and he’s just to big to be moved inside. Any first round OL will play guard for two years at a minimum, and that’s an inexcusable waste of a premium asset. 

Devils advocate: cut George Fant. Easy fix. 

This solves the "who plays lt" controversy and the "playing Fant out of position" problem. He's the teams 5th highest paid player. He's 30. He's injured. He's on the last year of his deal. He's not in their long term plans. His contract was always set up for a post June 1 cut in 2022. 

What's that you say? Fant is their best lineman? They need George Fant? He's going to play another ten years like Andrew Whitworth? Ok then extend George Fant. 

This middle ground where Fant has a cap hit that's 10 mil pure salary for 2022 and no long term security and no future with the team is worst case for all involved. He's not going to play out the season, increase his value, then resign. If he's so amazing, the jets can extend this player and free up to the 10 million for more free agents. 

All of this is to say, what the Jets do at 4 has alot to do with what they are planning for George Fant. No one really knows. But 1 year of Fant under contract is not a long term plan.